Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #16
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agri View Post
Your friend needs to call Disney dining and ask them to be sure. My friend who has had weight loss surgery has a doctor's note that allows her to order off the children's menu, I'd imagine your friend could get a note as well from her doctor if it'll help make things easier for her.
It would be my guess that a phone agent at WDW-DINE has little to no knowledge of what will actually happen when you get to the restaurant.

Especially since it appears to all depend on the server you get.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #17
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks

We have ordered kids appetizers at GF Cafe and the kids selections at Garden Grille without getting any guff.
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2010, 12:16 AM   #18
Cinderella94
now and then i have to remind myself how extremely hot it gets in those things
Why do all of those sound like they could've come out of my mouth

I agree that calling WDW would accomplish nothing.

I don't think you'd have a problem ordering a kids meal.
Cinderella94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #19
canopynut66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma27 View Post
I am sure this has been asked 100 times, but the search had failed me. Going to be dinning with a group of 6 adults at the Hacienda de San Angel for dinner (and hopefully a view of the show). One of the adults is a picky eater, and also pregnant, and would prefer to order of the kids menu if possible.

Does Disney allow this? If not, she will just order off the adult menu and the rest of us will most likely eat the 75% of her meal that she doesn't touch.

Thanks

My friend had bypass surgery and she orders form the children's menu each time were down there BUT it is charged as adult TS or CS which is fine with her
canopynut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #20
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I don't see any reason to be charged as an adult at a CS when buying a children's menu meal, unless you are using the dining plan.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #21
Tara922c
DIS Veteran

Although I have never worked at a disney TS, I did wait tables for over 8 years, starting when I was 16 years old. All the places had an age limit on the kids menu, and all of them allowed adults to order from the kids menu, but told the servers not to advertise it, and to charge the adult for their drink. I did work with a few that would tell an adult "no" because the server wanted the guest to order something more expensive so their tip would be higher. Now, I have ordered a kids meal without a problem at WDW, but I am sure some people were told no. The best thing to do is just ask your server, "can I order off the kids menu?" If they said "no", ask if you can pay extra, and get the same thing meant for an adult. WDW is all about pleasing the guest, I would bet money even if they charged your friend a few extra bucks, they would get her what she wanted to eat as long as they have it in the kitchen.
Tara922c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #22
carly chloe
DIS Veteran

We went to Mexico to eat and I did not like any of thier meals and they would not let me order from the kids menu. We were on the dining plan. You'd think they'd come out ahead giving me less food and charging me as an adult. I found something- but probably left half of it. I've been to Mexico MANY times and the things they offered were not what I considered mexican food. We won't go there again.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #23
BLLB

Mouseketeer

My mom, who was 83 years old at the time, ordered off the children's menu at Tony's. The server didn't seem to question it at all.

My neice, who is over 9 years old, has ordered off the children's menu, we even asked prior to ordering. This was at Brown Derby.

I guess I am hopeful that they allow it since my DS is 10 and there is no way he would want to eat what is on the adult menu at many of the places we dine. He does not a have a very sophisticated palate. Although he does enjoy trying new things.

BLLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #24
debilovesmickey
Mouseketeer

Older kids have...

I can't speak for adults doing this, but when we last went to WDW in 2008,
my youngest son was 16 and he did not care for any of the adult dinner offerings on the adult menu at Akershus. The waitress actually suggested he order a pizza from the child's menu. We had the dining plan then, so we were most likely charged for an adult meal... but he was able to get what he wanted!
debilovesmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:08 AM   #25
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

My brother and I had no issue ordering off the children's menu in 2008 (we were both in our late 20's) at CS and Sci-Fi Dine In. Last year I also ordered off the children's menu at CS when we weren't using DDP credits and was never questioned. I think my parent's broke me by telling me about people starving; I can't bear to leave food on my plate unless it is truly awful so the children's sizes are much better for me.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:50 AM   #26
pigby
This one might be a little more challenging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
There is no restriction by Disney in ordering from the child's menu for anyone.

If you are on DDP you will, however, be charged an adult credit.
Last trip DD was almost 15 (but looked older) and she was allowed to order off the kids menu, without exception (and we were there 14 nights with a TS meal every day) - she is picky (and a veggie) and in some restaurants there was nothing she would eat.

We were on Dining Plan and we just used to pay separately for the kids meal and not use a DDP credit. If she was still hungry, she just ate a CS meal later on.

Sept 2013 Loews Hollywood/Candy Cane Inn DLR, June 2012 Portofino Bay/OKW, Aug 2011 OKW/HRH, April 2011, Candy Cane Inn DLR, California, March 2011 Sequoia Lodge DLRP, Jul 2010 HoJo, Disneyland California, Dec 2009 Santa Fe DLRP, May 2009 ASMu/BCV,Aug 2008 CSR/RPR - WDW/Universal, Oct 2007 Santa Fe DLRP,Dec 2006 Sequoia Lodge DLRP, Aug 2006 RPR/Saratoga Springs- Universal/WDW, May 2006 Cheyenne DLRP,Oct 2005 ASMo - WDW,July 2005 POP/WL - WDW, Oct 04 RPR/Pop/POFQ July 03 ASMo - WDW, Oct 02 Newport Bay DLRP, Aug 01 ASMo-WDW Sep 00 ASMo- WDW, Jun 97 Newport Bay DLRP, Jul 90 offsite WDW
pigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #27
dancingdisneygirl
Mouseketeer

I'm 31 and ordered off the kids menu this past July almost every meal. I've never had an issue. I've been the past couple of January's also and ordered off the kids menu. I plan to on our upcoming trip as well.

dancingdisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #28
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

DDs 10 & 11 were able to order off the kids menu last week at Sci Fi and Coral Reef - no problem. We were on the DP and had to use adult credits for them.

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:58 PM   #29
Ava
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara922c View Post
All the places had an age limit on the kids menu, and all of them allowed adults to order from the kids menu, but told the servers not to advertise it, and to charge the adult for their drink. I did work with a few that would tell an adult "no" because the server wanted the guest to order something more expensive so their tip would be higher.
This is a good point & probably why the answer varies from server to server. I'm sure some servers who say "no" just do so because they understand that to be the policy, but I'm sure there are also some who say "no" because a lower bill means less tip for them.

I can't remember if my partner ever ordered a kid's meal at TS, but I know on our last trip she ordered a kid's meal at CS a few times because there was nothing vegetarian on the adult menu.

Sept 2014 Trip Report - In Progress

1983 (age 3): Buena Vista Palace 1988: Fort Wilderness Cabin 1991: Offsite 1997: All-Star Music 2002: All-Star Music 2004: All-Star Movies
April 2006: All-Star Music May 2011: POP Century Sept 2014: Caribbean Beach Aug 2015: Art of Animation, Lion King Suite

Ava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:06 PM   #30
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

my brother (who is closer to 90 than 9) was able to order off the kids' menu, making adult size meals out of kids' offerings by ordering more than one item all over wdw... he was also able at coral reef to have the kids' pizza as his appy (before ddp took it away) and then an adult steak (PLAIN! w/fries) as his dinner...
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14 DCL Fantasy Jan '15
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: