Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
soma27
Earning My Ears

Can adults order from the kid menu?

I am sure this has been asked 100 times, but the search had failed me. Going to be dinning with a group of 6 adults at the Hacienda de San Angel for dinner (and hopefully a view of the show). One of the adults is a picky eater, and also pregnant, and would prefer to order of the kids menu if possible.

Does Disney allow this? If not, she will just order off the adult menu and the rest of us will most likely eat the 75% of her meal that she doesn't touch.

Thanks
soma27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Not allowed. Better to ask your server if the kitchen can prepare something to size or taste from the adult menu. Also, there is nothing preventing a light eater from just ordering salads and/or apps. If a picky, light eater is not going to eat much of an already too-large entree, then it might be best to stick to smaller plates.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

There is no restriction by Disney in ordering from the child's menu for anyone.

If you are on DDP you will, however, be charged an adult credit.

My wife always used to order the child's (4oz) filet at the old Concourse Steakhouse and would get the full child's meal, including derrest, for the child prtice.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
DisneyMim
DIS Veteran

From my personal experience most places don't let you order a child's meal as an adult. I know some people say they have, but we've been going to Disney forever and when my daughter was young she was a very picky eater. When she became a teenager we would always ask if she could order off the kid's menu and most times the answer was no, it's only for guests 9 and under. Once in a while she would be able to order a kid's meal, but we would be paying more. I'm not trying to say that other people haven't been able to do this, only that WE never had any luck with it. She is now an adult and has her favorites that she orders. I will say this was some years ago so it's possible that it is easier today. Also I think it may be the luck of what restaurant and server you get.

Enjoy The Magic!!
DisneyMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
JimmyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
There is no restriction by Disney in ordering from the child's menu for anyone.
The menus say on them "For guests ages 3-9". That would seem to exclude guests ages 10-101. My 13 year old niece was specifically told that she could not order off the kid's menu. But maybe this is something that is enforced case by case, server by server.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
soma27
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the replies. Looks like she could easily just order an apppetizer as her meal, and then we would not have to worry about any age restriction.

Thanks again.
soma27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
madalex
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
The menus say on them "For guests ages 3-9". That would seem to exclude guests ages 10-101. My 13 year old niece was specifically told that she could not order off the kid's menu.
On numerous trips over the years, my kids have never had any issue ordering off the kids' menu after they turned 10. Many, many other posters have had the same experience. The situation you encountered is the exception, rather than the rule.
madalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

I take Chesire Figment's answers over many. I know for sure you can order anything you want off of CS menus, as we did it a lot. I just didnt want as much food as the adult portions had (and I'm a pooh sized guy) It just made me feel 'blech' if I ate a whole meal. Plus, then I didnt want to enjoy those other snacks lol. I see no reason you should have an issue eating off the kids menu at a full service either, so long as you arent expecting / dont complain about the portion size. I've seen that before from people, order off the kids meal, then actually complain that it wasnt enough food for them..
Old 10-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #9
Agri
DIS Veteran

Your friend needs to call Disney dining and ask them to be sure. My friend who has had weight loss surgery has a doctor's note that allows her to order off the children's menu, I'd imagine your friend could get a note as well from her doctor if it'll help make things easier for her.
Agri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
traviesojmt
DIS Veteran

Location: Wherever the USAF sends us, which is currently Colorado

My DS13 has never had a problem ordering off the child's menu. We have been several times in the 3 years that he has been considered a Disney adult. There has not been one time that we have been told no and we eat at a table service restaurant everyday of our 10-12 day trips.
1996 - Day Trip**2000 - All-Star Sports**2001 - POFQ**2005 - Shades of Green/Animal Kingdom Lodge - 12 DAYS YEAH** Aug 2006 - POFQ - 10 Days** Feb 2007 - Pop Century - 10 days**June 18-21, 2007 - Beach Club Resort - 1st trip without the kids.**June 20-July 2, 2008 - SOG**May 26-June 6, 2009 - Beach Club/Contemporary**May 30-June 4, 2010 - POFQ **May 28-June 8, 2011 Coronado Springs**May 29-June 8, 2013 - Beach Club/Animal Kingdom Villas
traviesojmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
JimmyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by madalex View Post
On numerous trips over the years, my kids have never had any issue ordering off the kids' menu after they turned 10. Many, many other posters have had the same experience. The situation you encountered is the exception, rather than the rule.
I have no doubt that a 10 year old can do this. But a full grown adult may be viewed differently. Just not sure why they would say "For our guests ages 3-9" if they didn't mean it. As is always the case at restaurants, rules in theory and rules in practice are often different. The troops on the ground are often far more lenient than the generals in the tents.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

Neither DH nor I have had problems ordering from the kids menu over the past 8 or 9 years. DH has several times ordered an appetizer (soup or fruit cup) from the kids menu. Most recently, I have ordered kids macaroni and beef at Turf Club - I was asked if I wanted the kids portion or an adult sized plate. I opted for the adult size, which was priced right around whatever pasta item was on the regular menu. Rose and Crown also allowed me to order from the children's menu at lunch a few years ago. I have also gotten the kids dinner choices at the Luau and Garden Grill - of course adult pricing still applied.
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

honeymo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:15 PM   #13
nytimez
Nihilist

My mother is very small. Roughly the size of a small world character. She orders off the children's menu from time to time (and no, she doesn't look like a child) and never had a problem.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #14
tronprogram
Earning My Ears

for the most part they will let you
tronprogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #15
CanadianPaco
Canadian
I was 5'4" because of my big hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburg30 View Post
I take Chesire Figment's answers over many.
I have to agree with you
Dec 2010 - CSR / Aug 2011 - RPR - Universal Orlando
Aug 2009 - ASMu / Aug 2010 - POFQ
Aug 2007 - HoJos - DL / April 2009 - HoJos - DL
Aug 2004 - ASMo / July 2005 - Pop
CanadianPaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: