Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #421
Singinglizzie
DIS Veteran

I've been lucky enough to go to WDW the last 2 labor day weekends and stay at AKL and am now considering the Club Level at AKL this coming labor day. I'm trying to justify the extra cost. I've stayed Club at the Poly, and liked it, so I sort of know (or think I know) what I'll be getting extra. At AKL all the club rooms have a view right? I might also get a bunk room (which my kid wants) plus breakfast and snacks. Does AKL club offer evening wine? I don't think I'll need the concierge services, nor do the safari, so what other benefits would we receive? It will just be me and 11 y/o so if we don't buy the dinning plan, I can use that money for the upgrade to club, then we we can do light dinners here and there? Have any of you not done the DDP to stay club - and if yes did this save money on dinning? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #422
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singinglizzie View Post
I've been lucky enough to go to WDW the last 2 labor day weekends and stay at AKL and am now considering the Club Level at AKL this coming labor day. I'm trying to justify the extra cost. I've stayed Club at the Poly, and liked it, so I sort of know (or think I know) what I'll be getting extra. At AKL all the club rooms have a view right? I might also get a bunk room (which my kid wants) plus breakfast and snacks. Does AKL club offer evening wine? I don't think I'll need the concierge services, nor do the safari, so what other benefits would we receive? It will just be me and 11 y/o so if we don't buy the dinning plan, I can use that money for the upgrade to club, then we we can do light dinners here and there? Have any of you not done the DDP to stay club - and if yes did this save money on dinning? Thanks.
Honestly, we haven't stayed AKL club level yet (we are booked for it in Nov), but I can kind of fill you in on the research I have done.
Yes, all CL rooms at AKL receive a Savannah view. Some of the rooms have the bunks, and I have heard people having success requesting those rooms when they book.

Yes, they have the equivalent of a continental breakfast each morning. There are all kinds of snacks and goodies in the afternoon. There are tasty lunch/dinner type foods served from Boma and Jiko, but this is a little tricky. It isn't necessarily set up to replace your lunch/dinner meals (smaller portions), not a smorgasbord buffet), but many people who tend to eat light anyway have reported that there was enough at AKL CL to actually be theri dinner... just remember the other guests and don't horde all the food

There is soda, beers, etc available all day, but not sure about wine.

Then every evening, there are sweet treat available (can you say zebra dome?)

Here is a very informative link you should check out with basic menus and assorted info about AKL CL

http://www.aklresort.com/content/kil...accommodations

Other than the food, the CL offers you bed turndown service, concierge help with other ressies,and the special events the Safari.
IMHO it will be worth it to us, but is up to you to decide for yourself.

Here's a little to help you decide!

1999-2005 yearly DLC trips - various non-Disney hotels 2006 - DLC - Paradise Pier Hotel *Joined DVC! 2007 - Disney Cruise & WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary 2008 - DLC - Grand Californian 2009 - WDW- Old Key West & Animal Kingdom-Kidani 2010 - WDW- Beach Club & Animal Kingdom 2011 - Disney Cruise - the new Disney Dream & Holidays @ WDW! BCV & AKV Concierge April 2012 - MR Anniversary Cruise Nov 2012 - DLC to see Holidays & "WoC" May 2013 - Aulani! Aug2013 WDW & Universal Studios March 2013 Travel Agent AEP DCL/WDW
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #423
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
All the Club Level lounges at the Deluxe Resorts offer two different bottles of Wine, however I have no idea what any of the brands are since I never drink them.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #424
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The breakfast offerings at AKL CL are better than Poly. Rooms are a lot bigger at Poly but all AKL CL rooms have savanah view and balconies and 2 sinks outside the bathroom.

I've done AKL CL twice-May 09 and Jan 10. I did May 09 with my good eater DS (he was 8 at the time) and we did DDP. I did Jan 10 with the worlds pickiest eater DD (her 7th birthday trip) without the DDP. I have to say I enjoy NOT having DDP more. In May 09 it was so HOT and we just didn't feel like eating too much. I still did TS meals with DD but we could order what we wanted-so say an appetizer and salad vs entree and dessert. I liked having the easy access to breakfast and snacks all day long. We often were at the parks during the hot appetizer hours but I do remember at least one day when we did get back and with a late lunch it was enough for dinner for me. They do have wine & I also really enjoyed the Safari Amber beer. I bought miss pickey a chicken nugget meal at Mara. Even my good eater wasn't always real found of the evening offerings but he will at least eat PB&J unlike little miss pickey.

I let my kids pick were they wanted to stay on these special one on one trips. My oldest picked Poly and even though I had done CL there I didn't do it on that trip as I couldn't justify the premium of Poly CL for just the 2 of us. DS picked AKL and CL premium wasn't too much there and I had heard great things about AKL CL service. I have to say I was worried I wouldn't enjoy AKL too much but I really loved it. It is a very special resort. I was happy when youngest chose it for her trip. I had very good bus service on both trips.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #425
disneypryncess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodkins View Post
I just booked the same & I am planning to send it approx. 200 days out. I am going to list my requests in order of importance and hope for the best. I always had done all of my ressies myself, so this is very very hard for me to give up control being a total control freak! Looks like we will be there at the same time...Long Island will be in the house!!
Ooooh, I'm so right there with you! We are doing WL CL in Nov & it is going to be REALLY hard to let them make our ADR's, etc. Is "control freak" a bad thing??? lol
2008-Poly & DCL Wonder & Uni Hard Rock, Royal Pac
2007-DCL Magic, 2006-AKL & Pop
2005-WL, 2004-Cont, 2003-CS & ASMu
2002-BC, 2001-POR, Uni Portofino Bay & Hard Rock
2000-Poly, 1999-POFQ
1998-Disney Institute, 1997-ASSp, 1996-CBR
Old 01-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #426
bean bunny
Mouseketeer

Is the YC CL still open 24/7? I thought they were doing a test of this... If so, are there offerings at all times - beverages in particular?

Upcoming Trips:
December 2011, January 2012, August 2012
Old 01-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #427
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

I would not plan on having concierge offerings for dinner. People have a tendency to snatch them up the second they hit the counter, and they may or may not be replenished. When we were there in '09 I was in the lounge when they put the appetizers out. We were in a DVC concierge studio on the same floor as the lounge. In the time it took for me to walk to the room and tell DH the appetizers were out, and for him to walk back to the lounge, everything was gone. It was another 30 minutes or so before we left for dinner, and they never did put more food out.

If you have the time and motivation to stand at the ready so you can pounce on the appetizers you could possibly make dinner out of it.

We also never saw any amazing desserts. It was usually cookies, tarts, maybe some other little things. Never zebra domes.

We'll be there for 15 nights in June so we'll see if things have changed.
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

Old 01-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #428
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskellingtonsgirl View Post
We also never saw any amazing desserts. It was usually cookies, tarts, maybe some other little things. Never zebra domes.
In the 14 nights I've stayed AKL CL I have never seen zebra domes either.

I wouldn't have made it back in time for dessert all 14 nights but I think I did make it back all 7 nights in Jan 10. Not that I was there the moment desserts were put out but I never did see them.

Most nights it was cookies, brownies, rice crispie treats and some small tart.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #429
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskellingtonsgirl View Post
I would not plan on having concierge offerings for dinner. People have a tendency to snatch them up the second they hit the counter, and they may or may not be replenished. When we were there in '09 I was in the lounge when they put the appetizers out. We were in a DVC concierge studio on the same floor as the lounge. In the time it took for me to walk to the room and tell DH the appetizers were out, and for him to walk back to the lounge, everything was gone. It was another 30 minutes or so before we left for dinner, and they never did put more food out.

If you have the time and motivation to stand at the ready so you can pounce on the appetizers you could possibly make dinner out of it.

We'll be there for 15 nights in June so we'll see if things have changed.
In my experience when staying Club Level at the Contemporary, Polynesian and Boardwalk Inn, no matter if it was breakfast, hot food offerings and etc from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM or dessert, when the items were almost out they always got replaced right up to the time when they needed to be taken away.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #430
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Resort Fan 4 Life View Post
In my experience when staying Club Level at the Contemporary, Polynesian and Boardwalk Inn, no matter if it was breakfast, hot food offerings and etc from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM or dessert, when the items were almost out they always got replaced right up to the time when they needed to be taken away.
Hi CR Resort Fan 4 Life,
We didn't have that experience last May at the Poly, sorry to say. I can honestly say that the CL kitchen staff was generally not to be found, and if you did happen to get lucky and catch someone's eye, you were not likely to be assisted. We're not high maintainence guests - just asked for 2 beers to take to our rooms for Wishes - "sorry, none available" (except something I'd never heard of before...). We returned to the resort midafternoon one day only to be told there were no goldfish OR pretzels available. Evening offerings were never replenished after the initial serving, as far as I could tell. I could go on, but I won't. These seem like petty complaints, but taken into context and the mediocre service at CL thru-out the 7 days, we decided not to return to the Poly.
We decided to try the Beach Club Villas (renting points) this year. I see that you're a fan of the BWI as well as CR. I viewed the BWI rooms on-line at YouTube, and they look awesome! Would love to stay there. But with the grandkids, SAB trumps rooms at BWI. We're looking forward to taking the boat over to enjoy the nightlife, tho.
Thanks for all the info you provide!
Old 01-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #431
Singinglizzie
DIS Veteran

Thank you Papamouse1, CRFResortfanforLife and Jackskellingtongirl for your response. My 11 year old can be a picky eater at times, and
we know then Club snacks aren't meant to be dinner, but they do make nice appetizers. Plus there is room service, so I'm thinking we won't spend as much on dinner. I really want to do the club level, so just trying to figue out if I should spend the extra money. Again, thanks. Maybe I'll look into the safari to "justify" the expense.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #432
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchenohar@hotmail View Post
Hi CR Resort Fan 4 Life,
We didn't have that experience last May at the Poly, sorry to say. I can honestly say that the CL kitchen staff was generally not to be found, and if you did happen to get lucky and catch someone's eye, you were not likely to be assisted. We're not high maintainence guests - just asked for 2 beers to take to our rooms for Wishes - "sorry, none available" (except something I'd never heard of before...). We returned to the resort midafternoon one day only to be told there were no goldfish OR pretzels available. Evening offerings were never replenished after the initial serving, as far as I could tell. I could go on, but I won't. These seem like petty complaints, but taken into context and the mediocre service at CL thru-out the 7 days, we decided not to return to the Poly.
We decided to try the Beach Club Villas (renting points) this year. I see that you're a fan of the BWI as well as CR. I viewed the BWI rooms on-line at YouTube, and they look awesome! Would love to stay there. But with the grandkids, SAB trumps rooms at BWI. We're looking forward to taking the boat over to enjoy the nightlife, tho.
Thanks for all the info you provide!
You're welcome.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #433
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you Papamouse1, CRFResortfanforLife and Jackskellingtongirl for your response. My 11 year old can be a picky eater at times, and
we know then Club snacks aren't meant to be dinner, but they do make nice appetizers. Plus there is room service, so I'm thinking we won't spend as much on dinner. I really want to do the club level, so just trying to figue out if I should spend the extra money. Again, thanks. Maybe I'll look into the safari to "justify" the expense.
Depending on what the two hot items are and when you factor in the other cold items they serve, sometimes the foods between 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM can replace an actuall dinner. Just because other say they don't well that's their personal experience, however I can say that there were nights when my family and I were full from eating the food offerings in the lounge. So basically everyone is different when it comes to this type of thing.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #434
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

Quote:
The savanna views from the 4th floor concierge rooms are generally very good. We will be going on our 3rd Sunrise Safari this year - we have really enjoyed it in the past. We have always been able to get by on the lounge offerings for breakfast and afternoon snacks, so that does help to offset the difference in cost. If you are hoping to book any special experiences the IPO staff are really helpful. They were able to reserve everything we requested. Good luck with your decision!
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #435
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Resort Fan 4 Life View Post
We had the same experience at BC and YC CL. Items were replenished very quickly both at breakfast and the evening appetizers.

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: