Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #391
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprhj View Post
We are considering AKL CL in Jan of 2012, hopefully getting a room only discount code to make it work. When should I book the room and what should I specify? There are 2 adults and 1 child, 8 yr old, will they book us a King bed room that has a pull out sofa/chair? Last time at AKL we got the King room, but that was only because we requested to switch to an ajoining room with our friends and the King opened our 2nd day.

Also any reviews and pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!
Check out my TR for lots of pictures from AKL rooms (3) and the CL lounge and Sunrise Safari.

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
Old 01-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #392
Mamu

DIS Veteran
A perennial favorite
My children call me "Mud Duck"

We have done AKL CL and loved it.

Also done the Poly CL loved the location, the CM, Resort and the Lounge. Though the choices of food was better at AKL.

This past September we stayed at GF Sugarloaf Lodge. We loved it The location, the CM, the resort and especially the food offerings. We felt it was our best CL stay so far.

In May we will be trying BWI CL.

I know there a many who feel it's not worth the extra money. We love CL.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #393
aprhj
Second to the right and straight on til morning

dgbg-thanks for the wonderful trip report. You were in the Villas, correct? Just wondering if CL there and at the Lodge are the same. Hope so, looked wonderful!

1981- 1 day at MK
1988- 1 day at MK & 1 at EPCOT
1991- 1 day at MK
1998- Port Orleans then, POFQ now
2008- AKL
2009- POFQ
2012- split Value resort then AKL, I'm planning and hubby will agree by then- hubby agrees we are going!!!!!!
2013- split-1 week off site, 1 week WL CL
Old 01-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #394
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprhj View Post
dgbg-thanks for the wonderful trip report. You were in the Villas, correct? Just wondering if CL there and at the Lodge are the same. Hope so, looked wonderful!
yes it is the same. Villas is DVC, but the CL is the same.

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
Old 01-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #395
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Resort Fan 4 Life View Post
The only things that each Club Level lounge at the Deluxe Resorts will offer the same items is during breakfast and dessert, although there will still be some items not available at each of them. For example during breakfast the Innkeeper's Club at the Boardwalk Inn they offer Oatmeal, which is not available in the other lounges. The hot food items offered from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM are different at every lounge because the food comes from a restaurant specific to that resort.
That is not what we heard several guests, all club level veterans of multiple resorts, told. I'm not saying it's gospel, just repeated verbatim many times by multiple members of the Polynesian club level staff. Oh and, oatmeal, from what I recall, was offered every morning at the Polynesian. I don't regularly eat breakfast, so I only went once, but I know my husband brought it back for our son to the room at least twice.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #396
chimo2u
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
That is not what we heard several guests, all club level veterans of multiple resorts, told. I'm not saying it's gospel, just repeated verbatim many times by multiple members of the Polynesian club level staff. Oh and, oatmeal, from what I recall, was offered every morning at the Polynesian. I don't regularly eat breakfast, so I only went once, but I know my husband brought it back for our son to the room at least twice.
Oatmeal was also offered at AKL CL with a large assortment of toppings, and Quinoa. I have also been told oatmeal is offered at BC/YC club levels too....which is a great thing, as oatmeal is my mainstay morning breakfast everyday!! That is a very important factor to me choosing which club level I will stay at!!

Disney Trips:January 15-23, 2008 - AKL CL Celebrating DH leave from Afghanistan | Sept 1-12, 2009 - Storming the World with Friends, AKL CL Free Dining | August 20-29, 2010 Mom n' Son only trip, First time at Beach Club GV CL/ Universal Studios PBH CL ** POSTPONED ** Mom n' Son Trip is back on FEB 5-10, 2011 BC GV/Club Level with Basic DDP/Universal Studios HRH CL Feb 10/11/12 (DS's surprise** ) Sept 29 -Oct 7 2012 Best Friend Getaway POLY CL/ HRH CL
Old 01-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #397
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes - oatmeal is offered every morning at the BC/YC CL.

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
Old 01-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #398
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

In August there was oatmeal with a variety of topping options available in the Polynesian in the lounge during breakfast hours.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 01-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #399
AmberHeartsDisney
DIS Veteran

Staying AKL CL in nov for our honeymoon!! so excited!!
March/April 2007- Offsite~11/29/09-12/07/09-Polynesian (For free! I won a trip)~11/29-12/07/10-Polynesian~5/12-5/17/11 Polynesian~9/16-9/19/11 All Star Music~11/13-11/17/11 Animal Kingdom Lodge Club level - Honeymoon ~11/17-11/20/12 Disney Dream Cruise~11/2-11/9 2013 BLT/AKC (We finally bought a DVC!!!09/2013)~5/5-5/11 GFV~12/6-12/13 GFV ~ 10/12-10/17/2014 BLT ~ 12/6-12/13/14 GFV ~Disney Dream Cruise 12/4-12/7/15

Our Disney Travel Blog
Old 01-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #400
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I actually said that Oatmeal was available at some of the lounges 365 days a year like the Boardwalk Inn and obviously the Polynesian. However at the Contemporary it use to be offered every few months and recently it hasn't been offered at all.

Now when it comes to the hot food items from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM those items are still come a restaurant unique to that specific resort. Once again using the Boardwalk Inn as an example all the foods during that time come from Kouzzina, so there is no way those items can be offered at the other Club Level lounges.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #401
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Resort Fan 4 Life View Post
I actually said that Oatmeal was available at some of the lounges 365 days a year like the Boardwalk Inn and obviously the Polynesian. However at the Contemporary it use to be offered every few months and recently it hasn't been offered at all.

Now when it comes to the hot food items from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM those items are still come a restaurant unique to that specific resort. Once again using the Boardwalk Inn as an example all the foods during that time come from Kouzzina, so there is no way those items can be offered at the other Club Level lounges.
And I actually said "except for the two hot appetizers" ... Seriously, I was in no way trying to argue with you, just passing on what we were told. Actually, where the repeated comments came from was other guests, who had previously been at club level, asking about the resort-specific offerings the Polynesian used to have. We both heard the staff tell guests about this standardization and had other guests tell us they were told that.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #402
chimo2u
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
That is great to read, thank you. I thought I loved oatmeal, but then you go and mention Quinoa, too! Decisions, decisions...

I'd love to read your impressions of the Kilimanjaro Club
I have stayed AKL CL twice...once in Jan 2008 for about 8 nights, and once in Sept 2009 for 12 nights. I can 100% say, that Kilimanjaro Club lounge is absoulutely amazing and WELL worth the extra $35 or so it costs to stay CL from a bunk bed room!!! The lounge is amazing, comfy and friendly staff, the food offerings where yummy and plentiful....especially the breakfast, it was AMAZING!! They had oatmeal AND Quinoa and a variety of toppings that where delicious every morning. I am venturing out and trying the BC CL this trip for my first time, and I definitely know I will miss my beloved AKL.... This is a trip with just my 14 yo son and myself, and I thought he would enjoy trying SAB....thus the new resort. However, even HE LOVES AKL, and says I sure hope BC CL is worth it for the switch from AKL CL this time!
You, hopefully, will love it there!!! We sure did!

Disney Trips:January 15-23, 2008 - AKL CL Celebrating DH leave from Afghanistan | Sept 1-12, 2009 - Storming the World with Friends, AKL CL Free Dining | August 20-29, 2010 Mom n' Son only trip, First time at Beach Club GV CL/ Universal Studios PBH CL ** POSTPONED ** Mom n' Son Trip is back on FEB 5-10, 2011 BC GV/Club Level with Basic DDP/Universal Studios HRH CL Feb 10/11/12 (DS's surprise** ) Sept 29 -Oct 7 2012 Best Friend Getaway POLY CL/ HRH CL
Old 01-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #403
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And I actually said "except for the two hot appetizers" ... Seriously, I was in no way trying to argue with you, just passing on what we were told. Actually, where the repeated comments came from was other guests, who had previously been at club level, asking about the resort-specific offerings the Polynesian used to have. We both heard the staff tell guests about this standardization and had other guests tell us they were told that.
I wasn't trying to argue with you and when it comes to what you heard from other guests about what the Polynesian is doing, the only thing I can say is that shouldn't effect the other Club Level lounges. I have a pin trading friend from Orlando who works at the Contemporary bakery and they make some of the foods for their Atrium Club and Tower Club lounges. Well about 1 or 2 years ago when there was all that talk about the lounges serving less food items because guests were going up more then once when getting food, I asked him about that. He told me at the Contemporary there was no plans to reduce the food portions that they were to make. So using that example I think each of the lounges are different when it comes to what foods they are going to offer. So the Polynesian only knows what they are planning and not what the other lounges are planning.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #404
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimo2u View Post
I have stayed AKL CL twice...once in Jan 2008 for about 8 nights, and once in Sept 2009 for 12 nights. I can 100% say, that Kilimanjaro Club lounge is absoulutely amazing and WELL worth the extra $35 or so it costs to stay CL from a bunk bed room!!! The lounge is amazing, comfy and friendly staff, the food offerings where yummy and plentiful....especially the breakfast, it was AMAZING!! They had oatmeal AND Quinoa and a variety of toppings that where delicious every morning. I am venturing out and trying the BC CL this trip for my first time, and I definitely know I will miss my beloved AKL.... This is a trip with just my 14 yo son and myself, and I thought he would enjoy trying SAB....thus the new resort. However, even HE LOVES AKL, and says I sure hope BC CL is worth it for the switch from AKL CL this time!
You, hopefully, will love it there!!! We sure did!
Thanks for your review, chimo2u. My trip in August and December were also just with my DD12 since DH was also in Afghanistan (he returns this weekend). In August we stayed at the AKL, YC/CL and CR/CL. In December we stayed at the CR and WL/CL. Poor DH will finally get to stay CL in July.

You're right, the cost difference is negligible. For us (with the military 40% off) it's only $24 more per night than a SV, which is OK since the lounge isn't on the same floor as the rooms and it doesn't have a savannah view. Which brings me to my question. I was under the impression that ALL std. CL rooms on the 4th floor are savannah views. But I was reading some AllEars reviews that mentioned they had a pool or hot tub view. Can you or someone else confirm this? We definitely do not want a pool/hot tub view so I would cancel CL and book SV if that's the case.

I thought we would dislike AKL, but for a few days, it's perfect and we loved seeing the animals from our balcony. For the longer part of our vacation though, we prefer to be closer to the MK.

I think you'll love being in the Epcot resort area. We loved walking to and from Epcot to the YC, but we missed the monorail and walking to the MK and DD wasn't as thrilled with SAB as I thought she would be.

I hope you have a great mom/son trip!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #405
chimo2u
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Thanks for your review, chimo2u. My trip in August and December were also just with my DD12 since DH was also in Afghanistan (he returns this weekend). In August we stayed at the AKL, YC/CL and CR/CL. In December we stayed at the CR and WL/CL. Poor DH will finally get to stay CL in July.

You're right, the cost difference is negligible. For us (with the military 40% off) it's only $24 more per night than a SV, which is OK since the lounge isn't on the same floor as the rooms and it doesn't have a savannah view. Which brings me to my question. I was under the impression that ALL std. CL rooms on the 4th floor are savannah views. But I was reading some AllEars reviews that mentioned they had a pool or hot tub view. Can you or someone else confirm this? We definitely do not want a pool/hot tub view so I would cancel CL and book SV if that's the case.

I thought we would dislike AKL, but for a few days, it's perfect and we loved seeing the animals from our balcony. For the longer part of our vacation though, we prefer to be closer to the MK.

I think you'll love being in the Epcot resort area. We loved walking to and from Epcot to the YC, but we missed the monorail and walking to the MK and DD wasn't as thrilled with SAB as I thought she would be.

I hope you have a great mom/son trip!
Hi WDWKOOK! Thanks for the well wishes....we are excited and only have 3 weeks left until we are on our trip!
Our first trip to WDW was in January 2008 for my hubby's leave from Afghanistan (Canadian Military)...so I know how that feels, and I wish you all the best with your reunion! Enjoy having him home safe
As for your question about the club level rooms....YES, ALL the club level rooms are on the 4th floor and Savahnna view. WE requested close to lobby/pool and had rooms around the 4515/4530 range and they where wonderful! Our first trip when we stayed close to the lobby in 4515, we had an amazing housekeeper who was from Africa. She went out of her way to make things extra special for us with towel animals every day and great housekeeping! We saw many, many animals too...the only downside was it might have been a slightly better view more towards the middle of Arusha Savahanna. We were quite close to the rock outlook, and it impeded some of the view....but not enough to totally be a problem!
Our second trip we where in a room directly by the elevator that goes down to the Laundry room/Mara/pool exit....great location too, especially since we where there for 12 days and had loads of laundry to do!!! It was a bit of a walk from the lobby, but not too overwhelming.
Of the 2 rooms, I think I liked the one closer to the lobby best.
Our second housekeeper for our second visit was great as well....an old hand at AKL, with much experience. She did many elaborate towel animals for us, and by the end of the trip, I was "towel-animal'd out!!!" LOL I think you will love AKL CL.....
Have a great reunion!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: