Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #3631
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

I think for every person liking their CL experience, you'll find one who didn't -- regardless of the resort. It's a subjective thing; only thing you can do is check it out and form your own opinion.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #3632
mana'olana
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Everyone has different likes or dislikes. Don't judge by what anyone else says (including me)! Some people love BC CL, some hate CR CL, some love the Poly CL, some hate GF SL - it's different for each person.
That is true. DH and I want to stay at all of the resorts but for some reason we just can't talk ourselves into GF. It would be like the Clampetts comin' to stay.

Oct '97 ASM Honeymoon Dec '05 AKL Baby Girl's 1st Trip Sep '06 Poly Concierge Aug '07 Contemporary Pirate & Princess Party Oct '09 POR July '12 Beach Club Mar '13 CBR Mar '14 Cruisin'
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #3633
Broncobilly83
DIS Veteran

Hi all. We will be first time CL visitors this November at the Wilderness Lodge, and so far, I have to say it has made the trip easier. I did not have to worry about making ADRs, and was able to get everything I asked for ADR wise and will be contacted as soon as Be Our Guest might open for ADR taking

We also have a room request in (would like 7th floor, castle view), but understand that it is not a 100% lock to get. Should I remind them of the room request closer to check in time?

Reading some of the thread so far, I noticed this in the first post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyDec2008 View Post
Tipping Guideline: Thank you to TheRustyScupper, for the following information (9/22/08)

"1) Concierge (and Front Desk) CM's can be fired for taking cash tips.
2) They are supposed to refuse up to three times.
. . . if you ask a fourth time, they take it
. . . but, they must immediately turn it over to a manager
3) The tip goes into a fund, and the manager buys donuts or coffee for all.
4) If they do not turn in the cash, it can be immediate termination.

NOTE: They can accept gifts of up to $75 value (like candy, doll, etc)."
So what is suggested, as we were going to have envelopes with cash ready to go, but now that I see that, I want the person who helps us to get something, not necessarily go towards donuts for all, etc?

As a first time CL visitor, what is the normal check in procedure for the WL? Should we do online check-in (did it the last 2 times for normal visits)?

Any tips/tricks others might have learned in general? Like what to ask for/not to ask for, etc?

Can they help with specific character locations throughout the parks, i.e. finding out if a character will be available for pictures, etc? I ask as my main picture want would be with Scrooge McDuck, usually only seen during Christmas time events. We will be at MVMCP twice during our stay, but I read last year there was no photo ops with the character, unlike the years before.
11/07/12-11/13/12 - Anniversary/Birthday, Wilderness Lodge Club Level
11/12/14-11/18/12 - Anniversary/Birthday/Christmas, Wilderness Lodge

Old 06-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #3634
psac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mana'olana View Post
That is true. DH and I want to stay at all of the resorts but for some reason we just can't talk ourselves into GF. It would be like the Clampetts comin' to stay.
I think people overestimate the fanciness of the Grand Floridian. It's a friggin beautiful resort, and if you look deeper, you'll see people of all types (and I mean no insult to anyone at all, I'm one of those types!) staying there. If you frequent the club circuit, you should definitely try the GF. Right now with the construction, I can understand not wanting to stay there, but once it's done, definitely add it to your list!

EDIT: I wasn't sure whether or not to include this story, but I'll give it a go. It's not directly club related, so forgive the Off Topic. The first time we stayed at the GF, my wife and I were walking back to our room from the boat from MK, and a kid and his father were also walking back to theirs. We hit a fork in the road and they went the other way. When I guess they thought they were out of earshot (but not so), the father says to his son: "Man, I got a really bad case of swamp a--!" My wife and I were DYING. We found it really funny. So if you ever feel you'd be too "uncouth" for the Grand, just remember those people stayed there!
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03

Last edited by psac; 06-22-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #3635
mrmdisneyfl
Mouseketeer

we will be cl beach club Sept 21 until Oct 2 of this year. does anyone know if Pete is still working cl? we love beach club and love going during mnsshp and f and w.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Old 06-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #3636
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh man, that scares me. We are staying BCCL in a month. We've stayed Poly CL and liked it a lot. I hope it's not completely terrible and a waste of money. Oh well, try everything once, right?
Please don't let my review (or anyone's for that matter) cast a cloud. I loved BC and everything CL was very nice. I think I just missed the special connections we made at CR last year. DD still looks at the pictures all the CM took with her on the last day when we go through pictures. I could have been us too, maybe we didn't offer the connections to them to be made.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #3637
TikiGoddess07
Mouseketeer

We'll be at AKL club level in July. What are the advantages/disadvantages to doing online check-in?

Thanks!
Kathy
Old 06-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #3638
swald91
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiGoddess07 View Post
We'll be at AKL club level in July. What are the advantages/disadvantages to doing online check-in?

Thanks!
Kathy
I cant speak specifically for the AKL...but we stay at the Poly. They bring us right to the check in (separate from main building) so I never understood the early check-in for CL there....

Grand Floridian first time in November!
Polynesian(CL) Dixie Landings & Wilderness Lodge
>>>> BEGIN SHAMROCK IMG CODE <<<<

<<<< END SHAMROCK IMG CODE >>>>>
Thanks BCV23!!!! (And MsStinkerbelle for your help!!)
Old 06-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #3639
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiGoddess07 View Post

Thanks!
Kathy
We did it this time at BC (we had not done it at CR last year) and our check in at BC was SO FAST compared to CR. The CM greeted us when we arrived, grabbed our folder from the desk and took us right upstairs. Within 10 minutes we were done and heading out to the parks!
Old 06-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #3640
mana'olana
Mouseketeer

Quote:
EDIT: I wasn't sure whether or not to include this story, but I'll give it a go. It's not directly club related, so forgive the Off Topic. The first time we stayed at the GF, my wife and I were walking back to our room from the boat from MK, and a kid and his father were also walking back to theirs. We hit a fork in the road and they went the other way. When I guess they thought they were out of earshot (but not so), the father says to his son: "Man, I got a really bad case of swamp a--!" My wife and I were DYING. We found it really funny. So if you ever feel you'd be too "uncouth" for the Grand, just remember those people stayed there!
That's awesome! I would have fell over laughing. We have gone there for 1900 Fare and walked around and got some funny looks, nothing I'm not used to haha We will definitely try it sometime, probably with out the kids. My son can be rather loud and crazy.

Oct '97 ASM Honeymoon Dec '05 AKL Baby Girl's 1st Trip Sep '06 Poly Concierge Aug '07 Contemporary Pirate & Princess Party Oct '09 POR July '12 Beach Club Mar '13 CBR Mar '14 Cruisin'
Old 06-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #3641
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

We are staying 10 nights at BW CL in Dec. Our ADR date was earlier this week. I have now added 2 nights at CR (non CL) to our reservation at the end of the trip. Will IPO book ADRs for those 2 nights for me if I ask? I dont want to ask them unless someone else has had experience with it. My ADR date for those is next Sunday.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #3642
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh man, that scares me. We are staying BCCL in a month. We've stayed Poly CL and liked it a lot. I hope it's not completely terrible and a waste of money. Oh well, try everything once, right?
We loved BC cl. Stayed there last August.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Old 06-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #3643
Sue M
DIS Veteran

CL CM gift?

Is it customary to bring a gift for the CL. CMs? I was reading another thread and there was mention of this. I've only stayed CL once before, and never heard this.
So what do you do?
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #3644
DisneyChristmas
Mouseketeer since '55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Is it customary to bring a gift for the CL. CMs? I was reading another thread and there was mention of this. I've only stayed CL once before, and never heard this.
So what do you do?
We've stayed CL over the years 1996-2011, and I'm never heard of this.

It might be fun to take a family photo and use Word or Publisher or Photoshop (whatever) to create a picture with all of your names to give the cast member at checkin.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #3645
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WsPrincess View Post
Just returned from BC CL and I have to admit I was disappointed We stayed in the Atrium Club last year and we loved it. The staff was so amazing and welcoming and just made the trip magical.

BC CL staff was just OK. The entire experience was just underwhelming. Everyone was friendly and nice but nothing special. We did get beautiful birthday buttons made by Neil for the kids which were super nice but I know if this was our first CL stay we would not spend the money again. No one was welcoming when we got back from the parks (just a quick HI). I did not like the lounge closing an hour at a time several times a day (something that I do not think happened at CR and if it did, it was not an issue since the fridge was at the entrance and there are no doors). We were more welcomed by the front lobby staff and it was just disappointing. I don't know if it was because the CR staff really did something out of the ordinary with us last year so our expectations were too high or if we just always were around at BC at the wrong time. I don't know. The area of CL seems small, and not just the lounge, even the entrance area where the desks are.

Sorry to be the downer--We had an amazing trip though and did not let this get us down.
I'm sorry you were disappointed. We have never done Club @ the BC, but have stayed Club level @ YC many, many times. I think some of the CMs have worked @ both.

I do think nothing compares to your first experience, so that may be some of the problem. And everyone has different personalities & preferences. I really don't get needing to be "welcomed" back every time you step off the elevator, or have a kid fawned over repeatedly by a CM. I don't mean that to be snarky or nasty @ all. I really just don't have the need for that kind of attention. So I am perfectly fine with a smile & quiet hello. Which is pretty much what we usually get.

I feel I am paying for : pretrip planning services, a good place for a quick breakfast, secure floor, guaranteed lagoon/ StormAlong view when I book a waterview room, quicker assistance if needed during the trip (usually) & some yummy snacks & drinks. I am satisfied that I get what I pay for, which is why we keep going back. I think club CMs are there to assist all guests, not entertain kids (they have kids clubs & pool activities for that) & make friends with everyone. I would actually be pretty annoyed if I went to the CM desk needing help & they were too busy schmoozing or playing with someone's kid to assist me. (Again, don't mean that to be nasty, just truthful).

Yes the lounge is small & it is closed periodically. But we just plan appropriately & work around the schedule. Nothing we can do about the size, but if the lounge closing is a big deal for you, make sure you mention it if you get a survey. Teena tells us they really do listen to guest feedback, so maybe it will change if enough guests complain.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of the BC & your vacation despite your disappointment.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: