Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
DISWolves
Dreams really can come true !!!!

21 Day Dining Plan Tour - DAY 24 - THE FINALE

DAY 24 - Magic Kingdom - Orlando International Airport - Home

They reckon on all good things coming to an end, well today was to be one of those days. Having done most of our packing the previous night, all that was left to do was to pack a few things and then we were all done. We always like to end our holiday in the Magic Kingdom and today was to be no exception. One final check of all the drawers and cupboards then we closed the door for the final time of our OKW home for this year. I had weighed each one of our 5 pieces of luggage, and with a little swapping, managed to get them all within the 23Kg limit.
We left OKW and arrived at Virgin’s DTD check-in at around 07:50. Around 4 families were already waiting as we joined the queue. I got chatting to an ex-pat in front of me, who was now living just outside of Haines City, and was returning to U.K. for some medical treatment. He was originally from Birmingham and had now been granted US citizenship, so had dual passports. He said depending on the time of year he travelled, it was sometimes cheaper to book his air tickets on his US passport.
By the time that the check-in desk opened, the queue of returning passengers has grown quite long. We were checked in within 10 minutes, and then made our way round to Earl of Sandwich for our final breakfast.
Emma: Ham & Swiss + Chocolate Mousse + Diet Coke
Sue: Egg & Cheddar + Yoghurt Parfait + Water
Nigel: Bacon Egg & Cheddar + Yoghurt Parfait + Apple Juice
After breakfast, we headed over to Magic Kingdom. The car park was quite empty when we arrived and we timed the tram to perfection. Soon we were at the monorail station and after a brief wait, we were on our way again. Magic Kingdom was also low on crowds, but since we did not want to get wet today, we had already decided to give Splash Mountain a miss. We managed to walk up Main Street alongside ‘Move it!, Shake it! Celebrate it! Street Party’, and have a good close up look at the floats and characters as they performed outside the castle.

I must say that I much prefer this parade in comparison to DHS Block Party Bash. After the parade had finished, we headed over to Tomorrowland and Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor, and then next door to Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin. Another ride that we like to do for a ‘rest’ is TTA. Last year, this was closed for refurb during our visit, so we had to make up for lost time!. By now we were ready for food, so we ventured across for some lunch at one of our favourite MK dining places, Columbia Harbour House.
Emma: Chicken Breast Nuggets with Fries + Chocolate Cake + Diet Coke
Sue: Fried Fish Basket with Fries + Apple Crisp + Water
Nigel: BLT Salad + Strawberry Yoghurt + Water
As usual, the food and service was very good and we managed to grab a window table upstairs. This is a good place to ‘people watch’. Within a few minutes you can pick out all sorts of people – laid back – stressed out – follow the leader and even the odd argument!.
Suitably fuelled up, we decided to take a tour of the Rivers of America aboard the Liberty Square Riverboat. The sun was blazing, and the front of the upper deck offered no shelter from the fierce heat, but considering within the next 24 hours we would probably be facing the risk of hyperthermia, we decided to sit it out. It is nice to see the rides such as SM, BTM and HM from different vantage points.

One final tour of the Haunted Mansion was calling, so we headed there after we got off the boat. It was walk on, so we had another very very last ride, before strolling back towards Main Street to complete the final day ritual of watching the parade before leaving.
We travelled back via Frontierland and past Crystal Palace, where we said our farewell to Jim the piano player. We made our way through the shops and exited at the Emporium. We easily got a seat on the pavement outside Main Street Station as the ‘Celebrate A Dream Come True Parade’ started. At one point, Captain Hook & Mr Smee hijacked some poor kid in a stroller and Sue had a proposal from Jaffar!.

All too soon it was over and we knew it was time to wave a final goodbye to the castle for this year. We headed out of the park and caught the resort monorail back to T&TC, with one final glimpse of the castle from the ferry dock, we made our way onto the tram and back to the parking lot. The journey back to the airport was uneventful and in no time we were heading to security. The lines were horrendous, but we finally managed to get through after 30 minutes. Our departure gate was quite busy, since the Gatwick flight had not departed. It was here that I spotted the Harry Potter decal on the tail of one of the Virgin Planes.

The flight home passed quickly, the food was nothing to write home about, but all we wanted to do now was to get home. We landed at a cold and damp Manchester at around 06:30 and it was while waiting for our luggage to appear that I thought “ Eleven hours ago – we were in the Magic Kingdom”. Our entire luggage had arrived safely and we made the long drive down a quiet M6, back home. The final day is always one of mixed feelings, - Sad in that is our last day and it will be back to work very soon, and happy that we will be in our home soon , knowing that we will probably return to Orlando the next year.
Below are a few highlights of our 23 night stay – not in any particular order.

HIGHS
WWHP – By far my favourite ride, and the attention to detail created in the buildings – just amazing!!!!.
This will probably force me to watch all of the HP films (which I have on blu-ray but never watched) so that I can understand and appreciate the theming even better the next time that we visit.

DIS Meets – On both occasions it was nice to put faces to names of people that I recognise from the UK trip planning forum.

Social Gatherings – Hoop De Doo, EPCOT stroll around the World, and late night MK, all with Wayne’s (wayneg) & Martin’s (burt) families

Cheesecake Factory (Mall at Millenia) – Massive menu selection, spoiled for choice and too much when you finally do decide!

Old Key West – Our past five on-site stays we have been quite happy to stay at All Star resorts, however now that we have sampled OKW, I don’t think that we will be returning to All Stars in the near future. This place is heaven, in lovely surroundings, plenty of space and impeccably clean. The only suggestion for improvement would be to build a decent food court. They aren’t exactly stuck for space!, although nearby Port Orleans Riverside more than fills this gap.

Disney Dining Plan – We got to visit many eating places that we would not normally bother with, and were impressed with a few. Look forward to doing it again

California Grill – A superb restaurant in a nice setting. Also enjoyed the meal

LOWS
Loews Royal Pacific Resort- The condition of the room upon arrival and the lack of response from the staff to rectify it.

Yachtsman Steakhouse – A good meal spoiled by extremely poor service. The food was good quality but 90 minutes wait is totally unacceptable in any restaurant.

Sony Compact Camera – failed with 2 days to go, luckily I had got my Canon DSLR with me, but that can become a hindrance to carry around when just using for snapshots and also when riding on some of the ‘get wet’ or fierce rides.
I am still on the lookout for a replacement compact.

Well that’s about all for my very first trippie..................Thanks for reading and also for the kind comments.
Would I write another report?...............well I have already booked 4 night cruise on the Disney Dream and 19 nights before the cruise at OKW with DDP for August 2011, flights booked for 28 day stay..............just maybe.........so watch this space.

See Y’all Real Soon!

Nigel Sue & Emma

RETURN TO TRIP INDEX

Last edited by DISWolves; 02-14-2013 at 01:38 PM.
DISWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Sapper383
DIS Veteran

Loved reading your trip report....thank you for taking the time to write it and share your trip with us
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

What a great trippie Nigel! I have to go still go through the rest of the days I missed while we were away, but I have been enjoying all the detail you put into it.

I agree with you about the Liberty Belle - great to be able to take in the sights you don't see if you walk around the park.

I love your BTMR pic by the way. I stood for ages trying to get a shot like that but my timing was always slightly out and I was struggling to get a grip on the menu and settings on my camera (DSLR - and the lens packed up on the last day so I also had some camera trouble).

I do hope you will do more trip reports on your other trips. I didn't know this was your first one. You write like you do it for a living. I give you the for this one!
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

loved reading your trip report. thanks so much for sharing with us.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Thanks for sharing.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
jamjar84
DIS Veteran

What a shame that your trip report is at an end, I've really enjoyed reading it, and you really made it easy for the reader to envisage your trip.

I hope you'll consider doing another, this trippie has been one of my favourites.

Thanks for sharing.

JAxx
jamjar84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Such a shame that your TR is over

I've really enjoyed reading along and your photos are wonderful

Thanks so much for taking the time out to post
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
jen_uk
Eurovision Nut !!

Thank you for writing your mammoth trip report! I have loved reading all about your trip

My dis buddy is Carolfoy
jen_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
torsie24
Or I could call it the postalabration
Now I know to wear flip flops!
Got engaged on a trip to Disneyland Paris

Just finished your wonderful report Nigel!!

Can't wait for future ones! Loved all the details and great photos!

WDW: 1994-I Drive / 2009-AKL / 2011-Disney Wedding -AKL-GF RPC-BW-BLT
DLRP 1997-HNY / 2000-SL / 2008-SL / 2009-DLH / 2012-HNY
DLR: 2005-Day Trip
torsie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
Pooh's-Honey-Pot
Disney Bride June 19th 2006

Great final day! Hope you are over the post-holiday blues now!!

Disney trips:- 1989 - WDW Off Site; 1990 - DLR off site; 1997 - Disneyland Paris off site; 1997 -WDW off site; 2002 - WDW off site; 2003 - WDW off site; 2005 - WDW AS Movies; 2006 - WDW CBR (Disneymoon and Disney Wedding Pavillion Bride!); 2007 -DLR off site; 2008 - WDW POFQ; 2009 - DCL-A week on the Disney Magic (Western) + WDW POFQ; 2010 - Disneyland Paris Hotel Cheyenne; 2010 - WDW Saratoga Springs Resort / Universal RPR 2010 -Pop Century; 2012 - Fantasy cruise

Take a peek at my 2009 reviews "But We Haven't Lost Last Years Weight Yet"! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post32039625
Check out my 2008 food report "Gluttony . . . Pure Gluttony" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1837106
2010 food review - "The Piggies are back . . . and this time they're hungry" http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post38731959
Pooh's-Honey-Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

Thank you, Nigel, Sue, and Emma, for sharing your wonderful vacation with us. Nigel, it's difficult to believe this is your first trip report. You certainly have a knack for the job. About this particular segment--had to laugh as I read your remark about thinking once home that "Eleven hours ago--we were in the Magic Kingdom." as I play that game for days after a Disney trip. I just love the photo of Sue and Jaffar and think that your beautifully shot Haunted Mansion is frame worthy. May you have many more special trips together and, please, continue writing trip reports and telling us all about them.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:06 AM   #12
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Thanks for taking the time to do this - really enjoyed reading it all.

Well done on finishing it.
20+ trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP, Cabana bay and Universal Oct 2014

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

I have really enjoyed reading you trip report and look forward to hearing all about your next year's trip

thank you so much for sharing

susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:10 AM   #14
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

thanks for sharing your fab report, i am looking forward to the next one

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #15
1andrea
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Thanks for a great trip report, I especially loved the food pics mmmm! Just about to start on your next one!

[/url]

2005 January DLRP 3 Nights Dream Castle
2005 May/June 14 Nights Swan and Dolphin and 7 Nights Clearwater
2006 May/ June 10 Nights All Stars Movies and 10 Nights Jamaica
2007 June 14 Nights Saratoga Springs
2008 May/June 21 Nights Beach Club Villas, Hard Rock Hotel and Wilderness Lodge Villas
December 16 Nights Polynesian, Portofino Bay and Grand Floridian
2009 March DLRP 3 Nights Sequoia Lodge
2009 May/ June 22 Nights Port Orleans Riverside, Hard Rock Hotel and Animal Kingdom Lodge
2010 May/ June 26 Nights Bay Lake Tower, Hard Rock Hotel and Boardwalk Villas

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

[/url]

1andrea is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: