Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Jodijo
Mouseketeer

Why Florida but NOT California?

I don't understand why Florida residents can get discount rates on some cruises out of Florida but California residents do not get any discounts on the Mexico cruises out of California! Anyone have the answer?

(This is also the case at Disneyland. Only those living in Southern California get park ticket/annual pass discounts. However, all people living in Florida get discounted tickets/annual passes.)

This makes no sense to me! What's up with that?????

Our Disney Site

Jodijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

Disney Cruise Line is relatively New to the West coast market so they probably have not decided upon any discount. Also the agreement Disney has with the cities and states they are in is to offer discounts to their residents. So ask your governator to make a new contract with Disney!

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

California is a big marke to have hold out for a special break on a cruise. If they did this they would sell less staterooms to Californians.

With DLR tickets/passes it's a deal to get people who can come for a day, to come more often.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Jodijo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-fan-22 View Post
So ask your governator to make a new contract with Disney!
That is too funny! Our governator does not care enough to worry about that.

Our Disney Site

Old 10-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
Jodijo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
California is a big marke to have hold out for a special break on a cruise. If they did this they would sell less staterooms to Californians.

With DLR tickets/passes it's a deal to get people who can come for a day, to come more often.
You would be surprised how many Northern Californian's drive to DL for a weekend trip. I work with people that drive 8 hours a few times a month to spend a few days at DL.

Also, I am not sure what you mean - "If they did this they would sell less staterooms to Californians." Are you saying that they would sell less staterooms to Californians if they gave us a discount?

Our Disney Site

Old 10-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
Susie22
Mouseketeer

The way I see it, you're ALL lucky. Personally I think those of you who live in California and Florida should have to pay a surcharge because you live so close you don't have to pay for plane tickets. Honestly, think about how much cheaper it is for you to do Disney than the rest of us? And then you want a discount on top of that? Ok, so I'm kidding about the surcharge, but how about a little love for those of us from other states who have to break the bank just to get there to spend our money propping up your local economies?
Susie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
dursin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie22 View Post
The way I see it, you're ALL lucky. Personally I think those of you who live in California and Florida should have to pay a surcharge because you live so close you don't have to pay for plane tickets. Honestly, think about how much cheaper it is for you to do Disney than the rest of us? And then you want a discount on top of that? Ok, so I'm kidding about the surcharge, but how about a little love for those of us from other states who have to break the bank just to get there to spend our money propping up your local economies?
Not only do we get discounts on theme parks and cruises, but we also don't pay any state income tax here in Florida. The tourists drop off enough cash so that we don't have to.
dursin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
MTmomma
DIS Veteran

They do it because they have to draw the line somewhere. Feel lucky you get anything. There are some of us that only get OBC from a TA, and discounts for rebooking, on top of having to shell out for airfare from podunk nowhere, and hotels, and meals etc.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
dylan'smom
DIS Veteran

Remember, those resident rates come out in times when the ship needs filling!!

I'm fully expecting, and really looking forward to those Cali rates that will come out at certain times of the year -- once the Wonder is docked here.

I think the deal with southern cali getting the DL perks has to do with relatively easy transport - we can drive to DL without a lot of planning or needing air so we get those cool incentives.

19 on DCL, so far: MAGICal voyages: Jun'01(7), Oct'01(7), Jun'03(7), Nov'04(7), Jun'06(7), Jun'07(11), Jun'09(7), Apr'10(14), Jun'10(12), May'11 B2B(25), Sep'11(14); WONDERful cruises: Oct'10(3), Dec'11(7), Apr'12(15 Hawaii); 1 DREAMy cruise Mar'11; +1 FANTAStical voyage Jul'12(7)..& back to the MAGIC Sept 22th Galveston inaugural +B2B Sept. 29th, next year DS's Graduation Cruise- either the Greece Med or EBTA...tbd
dylan'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
Jodijo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTmomma View Post
They do it because they have to draw the line somewhere. Feel lucky you get anything. There are some of us that only get OBC from a TA, and discounts for rebooking, on top of having to shell out for airfare from podunk nowhere, and hotels, and meals etc.
I live in Northern California and we DON"T get anything. We still have to fly (or drive 10 hours). Not that I am complaining! I would drive 10 hours to get a discounted cruise but they have not offered them. I would also drive 10 hours a few times a year to go to DL if we got discounted annual passes. Without any discount, it costs us the same to go all the way to Florida and stay at WDW. So, we go all that way instead.

Our Disney Site

Old 10-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
Jodijo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I completely understand where you are coming from (even though it is not my local economy.) However, it costs us the same to spend a week in WDW as it does to spend a week at DL. With Florida having so much more, WDW and DCL, we go there.

Our Disney Site

Old 10-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
DW2010
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This is ridiculous. I do not agree with this at all, and it has nothing to do with the fact that I live in Florida . I have only been to Disney World twice in the 17 years I've lived in Florida. Although we get a discount, it's still not necessarily cheap, IMO.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodijo View Post
You would be surprised how many Northern Californian's drive to DL for a weekend trip. I work with people that drive 8 hours a few times a month to spend a few days at DL.

Also, I am not sure what you mean - "If they did this they would sell less staterooms to Californians." Are you saying that they would sell less staterooms to Californians if they gave us a discount?
I don't disagree that lots of Californians from the North visit the park. But if you can get someone to come for dinner on Fridays by giving them an easy way to buy a pass that makes more more money for the park than selling the passes to people that can't do that.

In Florida there are people that won't cruise until they have a Florida deal. In Socal there are millions of people that could do that and can take a cab to the port. Do you want to give them the option to cruise only with a special rate or have them pay the regular rate?
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #14
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

No offense to our Canadian neighbors but I never understood a Canadian discount before other states in the US.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #15
ILoveDisney&Cruising
DVC member since 2006 ... wish we'd have joined sooner!
We hadn't even gone yet and I was dreading coming home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW2010 View Post
I have only been to Disney World twice in the 17 years I've lived in Florida. Although we get a discount, it's still not necessarily cheap, IMO.
Not trying to start an argument .... but I was surprised, when a week or so ago, a friend who lives in FL mentioned that they bought annual (weekday?) passes for $185.

I thought that was pretty cheap, especially since a 1-day pass is what, $80? (haven't checked daily rates lately) Of course, cheap is all relative -- we are talking Disney, afterall.

If I lived there, I FOR SURE would be getting me one of those!

Fort Wilderness ~ 11/01, 11/02, 11/03, 11/04, 01/05, 11/05, 11/07, 11/09, 11/11, 11/12, 11/13
Fort Wilderness cabins ~ 10/01, 02/04, 12/06
Disney Magic 7-night Eastern Caribbean ~ 11/25/06
Villas at Wilderness Lodge ~ 01/08 ~ 17th wedding anniversary trip w/kids
Disney Magic 7-night Western Caribbean ~ 11/29/08
Offsite ~ 12/08, 12/10, 12/14
Disney Magic 7-night Western Caribbean ~ 11/27/10
DVC Old Key West ~ 9/11
Disney Dream 4-night DVC S.S. Member Cruise ~ 9/11
Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern Carbbean ~ 12/12 ~ with 29 people!

7-night Disney Cruise 12/14

2008 Ford F-350 diesel 6.4 dually 4x4 crew cab ~ 2013 Cougar 330RBK
ILoveDisney&Cruising is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: