Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #76
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

We got to House of Blues about 5 minutes before our reservation. I wasn’t too worried because I doubted they would be busy at that time and they weren’t. We were seated immediately.

Please excuse the misty shot, but one this was taken through glass

This is a fabulous restaurant. The food was incredibly good and you will see from the pics that I couldn’t decide what I wanted so I had several sides/appetizers

On the table was:

Kids macaroni cheese
Side order of sweet potato fries
House of Blues side salad
Special soup of the day: spicy chicken and rice
Rosemary cornbread with maple butter.

What little piggies! Between DD and I we almost finished the fries which were fresh, perfectly seasoned and slightly crispy on the outside while still fluffy on the inside.

The soup sounded interesting and it was very pleasantly flavoured. It was mildly spicy with tiny, very tender chicken pieces in it. I think it was tomato based. The flavours worked well together and it would make a perfect appetizer on a cool evening.

The HoB salad was just their basic salad, but they had a good variety of ingredients on it instead of the typical lettuce, tomato and cucumber. With the side order of soup I could easily have made a meal of it.

The cornbread .... OH! It was out of this world! Of course it is quite filling so I managed about a fifth of it and had to take the rest away with me.

DD’s macaroni was pretty tasty too. We just put everything on the table and sampled from our very own family style buffet. I was taken aback at the portion size for the child’s meal. There was quite a lot of food left on the plate and we were full.

We thoroughly enjoyed this meal. The decor is really interesting too although the lighting is not on the bright side, all in keeping with the atmosphere, so I was a little hesitant with photos as it can be annoying for others trying to eat with a flash going off all the time. We had a restaurant.com certificate and in spite of all the food on the table, we were still $1 short of our minimum spend, so I ordered a coffee which I had no room to put, just to get the tab up. Even without the certificate, the prices aren’t bad at all and I really wanted to go back again this trip, but we just ran out of time ... don’t we all?!

We left HoB, ready to take our time on a leisurely stroll back to the Marketplace. We stopped in at the Candy Cauldron. I don’t think we have ever been in there as Goofy’s usually stops everyone in their tracks upon arrival at DTD. They had a better selection than I expected, even though it is much smaller than Goofy’s.

DD took some photos and she wants to see some of her pics posted on the DIS so here you go, courtesy of my 8 year old.

I found it funny that she took this one - Happy Hour means something different to an 8 year old I suppose

She also took a photo of the display case. It was interesting with her using her camera this trip. She took some different photos and I didn't even realise she had taken some of the shots she had.

There was also a singer with his guitar. DD was fascinated by him and was most indignant when she snapped a photo of him and some woman walked right into the frame. I think the guy saw this and as soon as the offender moved off he stood smiling broadly as he sang, waiting until she had her picture. I thought that was so sweet of him. You could see he was trying to help her out.

Oh and somebody asked why there are no photos of me. Well the pics posted so far are from my camera, but DD did take a few sneaky ones so this should keep you all quiet for a page or two

We wound our way along to the Marketplace where I went to get our MNSSHP tickets to save us having to stop at Will Call on the party night. By now we were feeling a bit cool in the evening air and at about 9.30 pm we trotted along to the boat dock to make our way back to POFQ.

We filled our mugs with some hot cocoa at the foodcourt and went up to our room to sit and chat. I think we were in bed by midnight. Not the most eventful day, but it was pretty darn near to perfect. It always feels even better when you know you have nearly two weeks stretched out ahead of you too.

Got it right:
We gave ourselves a later start in the morning which did wonders for us. We also made sure we left the waterpark when we intended. Despite knowing the ins and outs of WDW distances, transportation etc, I find I am still inclined to underestimate the time needed to get from one place to another and this year it was a priority to ensure that there was no unnecessary pressure put on us by lingering when it was time to get somewhere.

Could have done differently:
With a chance for a re-do, this is one day I wouldn’t have touched. We kept to our schedule perfectly and felt so refreshed afterwards – all ready for our early start tomorrow. There was no way to have planned this ahead but if I could have predicted, I would have swapped today with Thursday’s trip to Premium Mall purely because our shopping day was very hot and may have been a better waterpark day.

Next up: Day 4 – Magic Kingdom and Epcot, including an early Crystal Palace breakfast and preferred viewing of Illuminations
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #77
PJB71
DIS Veteran

Just caught up with your TR Lee

Really enjoying reading it along with the pics, especially DD's, bless her
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #78
Pugsly
Mouseketeer

I'm hooked! You're doing a great job, Lee.

Bring on Day 4!

14 trips and counting ...
1978-offsite 1998-POFQ 2000-ASMo 2001-ASMo, CSR 2003-ASMo 2003-Hotel Santa Fe (DLP) 2004-ASMo, WL 2008-Pop 2009-Poly 2011-Hilton Grand Vacation Club 2012-Carribbean Beach 2012-Disney Magic Western Carribbean 2013-Grand Californian 2014-AoA
Pugsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #79
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Great update Lee, really enjoying this report, and great to put a face to a name, lovely photos

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:52 PM   #80
strawberry blonde
DIS Veteran

Great report. Looking forward to more. Nice to see what you look like.
strawberry blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #81
DISWolves
Dreams really can come true !!!!

Hi Lee

Glad you both enjoyed Typhoon and it is our fav waterpark bar none.
I could quite easily go to sleep on the lazy river!
HOB - we have never been too sure about this, but I think that you have made our mind up - we will def pay a visit on our next trip.
The next time that you go, you will be able to finish off the rest of the menu that you missed this time
Looks like Tove has got the camera bug - I can see an DSLR on someones christmas list
Looking forward to the next installment.
DISWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #82
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

very relaxed day
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #83
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

Charming report of a memorable vacation. Enjoying your photos as well as your words. You shouldn't hesitate to allow your daughter to handle the illustrations for your report. She's got a good eye for composition and subject matter. Her skillful shot of the candy counter looked so inviting it made me get up and head to the Halloween basket for a Reese's peanut butter cup, which though good, didn't measure up to the beautiful candy in her photo. I look forward to reading about the rest of your trip.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #84
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJB71 View Post
Just caught up with your TR Lee

Really enjoying reading it along with the pics, especially DD's, bless her
Thank you. She asked today if anyone had commented on her pictures but I hadn't checked the replies yet. She will be thrilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsly View Post
I'm hooked! You're doing a great job, Lee.

Bring on Day 4!
Thank you. I have been minus a laptop for several hours courtesy of a school project but I want to start the next chapter this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida sun View Post
Great update Lee, really enjoying this report, and great to put a face to a name, lovely photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry blonde View Post
Great report. Looking forward to more. Nice to see what you look like.
Thanks. I generally run away from the business end of a camera, but DD's infectious enthusiasm and comical way of making people pose, wave, make a face .... makes it hard to refuse her requests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISWolves View Post
Hi Lee

Glad you both enjoyed Typhoon and it is our fav waterpark bar none.
I could quite easily go to sleep on the lazy river!
HOB - we have never been too sure about this, but I think that you have made our mind up - we will def pay a visit on our next trip.
The next time that you go, you will be able to finish off the rest of the menu that you missed this time
Looks like Tove has got the camera bug - I can see an DSLR on someones christmas list
Looking forward to the next installment.
We loved Typhoon Lagoon! If I didn't have to feel responsible for a minor, I would easily have a snooze in those Lazy River tubes myself.

Oh we will be back at HoB. Sadly I had my camera on the wrong setting in the restaurant. I must have bumped it as the first few pictures of DD at the table were great. But yes, the food was amazing and the service was really good too. I wonder what it would be like dining at dinner time when it is busier. I imagine it would have an amazing atmosphere.

DSLR for DD? Don't put ideas into her head. I suspect she would put me to shame getting the knack of the menu before I do - I dont want to be humiliated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
very relaxed day
Just what the doctor ordered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanEllen View Post
Charming report of a memorable vacation. Enjoying your photos as well as your words. You shouldn't hesitate to allow your daughter to handle the illustrations for your report. She's got a good eye for composition and subject matter. Her skillful shot of the candy counter looked so inviting it made me get up and head to the Halloween basket for a Reese's peanut butter cup, which though good, didn't measure up to the beautiful candy in her photo. I look forward to reading about the rest of your trip.
Thank you so much. My daughter is actually incredibly creative so I suppose it is not surprising if she shows a bit of an eye for photography. She had such a unique approach to her subjects too. I liked the picture she took as we got off the boat and entered DTD. I have no idea how she managed it as it was so busy on the dock but imagine my surprise when I uploaded the pics onto the laptop that night. She was most indignant when we were walking in Main Street USA one morning and I stepped in front of her while she was taking a shot of the fire engine! Oh was she mad! I will be making a start on day four this evening. I wanted it posted by now. I shall have to put some extra effort into it to make up for the delay.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:55 AM   #85
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

just catching up, really enjoying your report and great piccies

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:17 AM   #86
Pooh's-Honey-Pot
Disney Bride June 19th 2006

Just subbing . . . will be back to read later!!!

Disney trips:- 1989 - WDW Off Site; 1990 - DLR off site; 1997 - Disneyland Paris off site; 1997 -WDW off site; 2002 - WDW off site; 2003 - WDW off site; 2005 - WDW AS Movies; 2006 - WDW CBR (Disneymoon and Disney Wedding Pavillion Bride!); 2007 -DLR off site; 2008 - WDW POFQ; 2009 - DCL-A week on the Disney Magic (Western) + WDW POFQ; 2010 - Disneyland Paris Hotel Cheyenne; 2010 - WDW Saratoga Springs Resort / Universal RPR 2010 -Pop Century; 2012 - Fantasy cruise

Take a peek at my 2009 reviews "But We Haven't Lost Last Years Weight Yet"! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post32039625
Check out my 2008 food report "Gluttony . . . Pure Gluttony" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1837106
2010 food review - "The Piggies are back . . . and this time they're hungry" http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post38731959
Pooh's-Honey-Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:44 AM   #87
Disneymad
DIS Veteran

Another great report

I haven't been to Typhoon Lagoon for ages and now you've made me pine!It's my favorite of the 2 water parks so I really must get back there next trip. What did you think as it was your first time?

Loving your pictures and report so far and DD has a great eye for a picture that I enjoy, especially the Happy Hour one - good girl!
Disneymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #88
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

Great trip report so far. can't wait to read more days. oh and thanks for the fab photo of you, so we know who you are lol

Susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #89
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymad View Post
Another great report

I haven't been to Typhoon Lagoon for ages and now you've made me pine!It's my favorite of the 2 water parks so I really must get back there next trip. What did you think as it was your first time?

Loving your pictures and report so far and DD has a great eye for a picture that I enjoy, especially the Happy Hour one - good girl!
We enjoyed TL. We actually went there twice. We had a lot more chill out time in the first week and packed things in more the following week - a reverse of how it has been in the past. I think of the two I prefer Blizzard Beach, but that may be down to the fact that we have done more in terms of waters slides, etc there. Ideally I would like to do a day at each next time. I do think that TL seemed to be slightly more family friendly. Whether others will agree would depend on what they like to do together but I certainly enjoyed it and would definitely go back. It is hand down DD's fave water park.

I will tell her about the pics. I found the Happy Hour one so funny. I was obviously not paying attention so I only saw it when I put the piccies onto the laptop late that night. When I asked her what she liked about the sign she told me Disney is a happy place so it seemed like a good picture ... followed by a request: "Can we go to happy hour one day?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark&sue View Post
Great trip report so far. can't wait to read more days. oh and thanks for the fab photo of you, so we know who you are lol

Susan
Thanks Susan. That pic was courtesy of my daughter. She actually took me by surprise, as you can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk View Post
just catching up, really enjoying your report and great piccies
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh's-Honey-Pot View Post
Just subbing . . . will be back to read later!!!
Thanks Sonya. I was on your foodie report last night, also catching up. I love TR's - they are great for helping shuffle time along to a next trip, as well as a partial cure for post Disney Blues.

I have almost finished typing the next day. I seem to have fallen behind. From Wednesday the week went crazy and I spent the whole day today so far giving the house a much needed clean (still not all done).

I can also account for a couple of hours last night sorting the first batch of my photos prints I ordered. I wish that Tesco would get their system sorted so that the prints come out in the same order in which you place them. I had over 500 pics and they are all completely mixed up. I may be strange, but I like the memo photo albums so I want the photos to flow in sequence.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #90
buzz for boys
Certified Serious Stitch Stalker

Lee when I saw that you had posted I got all excited for a new update but alas you were just teasing me

Hoping to read more soon !! Yes my life really is that busy

buzz for boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: