Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #61
~Piglet~
DIS Veteran

We've been twice at the end of April beginning of May, but we would like to see some of the Halloween decorations etc so we're thinking of October, is there much difference in temperature / crowds?

May 2005 - 18 days, 2 weeks at Pop Century and 4 days Gulf Coast
May 2010 - 3 weeks including our Wedding - 10 days at the Pop, 7 days POR
and 5 days Honeymoon onboard the Disney Wonder

October 2012 - 17 days at CSR
May 2015 - 17 days at CSR again
~Piglet~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #62
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Piglet~ View Post
We've been twice at the end of April beginning of May, but we would like to see some of the Halloween decorations etc so we're thinking of October, is there much difference in temperature / crowds?
April is typically less humid and not quite as hot as early October, but last year we went mid to late April and it was hot, although not humid. This was our first time in October and really nice to see the Autumn theming since we have only seen the spring things. This October so far has not been as warm as it usually is at this time of the year. It was hot, but I took a cardigan with me many nights this year - more than last April as it got cool in the evenings. The weather is all over the place at the moment so it's anyone's guess really.

Aside from the weather I would do October again without hesitation, but if I had to pick one or the other I would go with mid to late April, even spilling into the first week of May.

In terms of crowd levels, although wait times made it clear that we were nowhere near Easter crowd levels, the parks were just as busy during fireworks/parades and the CS restaurants didn't appear horrendously busy, but I have never fought for tables like I did this time. That said, depending where Easter falls, if you arrive after Easter, April/May I would think to be more managable. But again, Disney is all over the place with new promotions and discounts so it is impossible to tell. I don't book a trip to avoid crowds. I am a bit strange - I like a bit of atmosphere and I find very busy with everything running at full steam and extended hours is much easier to manage than moderately busy with limited hours and operations. But then I think I am the exception to the rule. A lot depends on what you are used to.
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #63
DISWolves
Dreams really can come true !!!!

Loving your report so far
Great pics.....scarecrow is brill
Do you know there are other rides besides BTMR
we always find Peco Bills busy so tend to go straight to Columbia HH
Great way to review the end of each day with positives & negatives

We want more!
DISWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #64
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISWolves View Post
Loving your report so far
Great pics.....scarecrow is brill
Do you know there are other rides besides BTMR
we always find Peco Bills busy so tend to go straight to Columbia HH
Great way to review the end of each day with positives & negatives

We want more!
Thanks Nigel! Oh BTMR Last year it was 39 rides on Splash Mountain You know how kids are when they have a favourite - you do it again and again .... and again! Actually this was the first year we did pretty much everything. DD was always one to latch on the a few things she liked but she was much more adveturous this year

I started getting more confident with my camera after a couple of days although most of my indoor shots were awful and I never did get the white balance or flash compensation right. Then the motor in the lens packed in on the last day so it is now lens-less. I was going to get a new lens anyway but I didn't want it to be dictated to me when.

The next day is a fairly uneventful one so more pics than talk. I want to get that up tonight when I have edited a few more of my 1005 Photopass photos
Old 10-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #65
Marl
Mouseketeer

Loving your trip report, also just read your pre-trip report (great aswell).
We have been looking at flight prices etc almost daily since we returned from POR at the beginning of Sept. I am so excited to say that we have just booked 2 weeks for next August at POFQ. So can't wait to read more of your trip report. Gorgeous pics BTW!
April 1995 DLRP Hotel Cheyenne, Nov 1998 Hawthorn Suites I.Drive, Nov 1999 Enclave Suites I.Drive, Nov 2003 Orlando Home, Feb 2006 Orlando Home, Aug 2009 Caribbean Beach Resort, Aug 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, Aug 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter, Oct 2011 DLRP Sequoia Lodge, Aug 2012 Port Orleans French Quarter, Aug 2013 POFQ & Beach Club Aug 2014 - AoA & AKL
Marl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:08 AM   #66
Disneymad
DIS Veteran

Super pics again - lovin them!

We didn't have any problem with MK crowds while we were there however our touring plans revolve around avoiding EMH like the plague and visit the park the following morning when hopefully a lot of people will skip it because they'd done it the night before etc. No problems that is *apart* from the night we did MSEP and Wishes which was basically rammed.

I think it's the flipside to the Halloween parties which then funnels everyone else into the remaining nights and I'm sure the fact the EP is still relatively 'new' that people are making that extra effort to go and see it - I know if it had been Spectro I'd have probably just saved myself the hassle of dealing with the mobs that night.
Disneymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #67
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Looking forward to reading more. I found the park levels very odd this year, one day it was packed the next it was empty.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #68
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Looking forward to reading more. I found the park levels very odd this year, one day it was packed the next it was empty.
We never saw 'empty' parks but yes, there were spells during many of the days when it was fairly quiet. I think, as Disneymad pointed out, the party nights bring a bit of havoc into play as people are almost forced into what park to do on what day not only from a crowd calendar perspective, but also from a cost point of view - especially those who have not purchased park hoppers.

Sorry, I didn't finish typing my next day on my TR. Had a raging headache last night (must be lack of sunshine ) and fell asleep. Will definitely do it tonight.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #69
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Sorry, I didn't finish typing my next day on my TR. Had a raging headache last night (must be lack of sunshine ) and fell asleep. Will definitely do it tonight.
You are doing better than me, i've done 2 days a well but I was home a week before you!
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #70
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Great report Lee, Im all caught up now and looking forward to reading more

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #71
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida sun View Post
Great report Lee, Im all caught up now and looking forward to reading more
I am so glad you are all enjoying it. I am loving writing it (I knew I would). I have wondered a few times if it is a bit too detailed though and whether people may prefer more pics and less talk.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:14 AM   #72
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I am so glad you are all enjoying it. I am loving writing it (I knew I would). I have wondered a few times if it is a bit too detailed though and whether people may prefer more pics and less talk.
Its great the way it is Lee, you have a nice balance of text and pictures, havent seen many of you yet though

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #73
~Piglet~
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have wondered a few times if it is a bit too detailed though and whether people may prefer more pics and less talk.
The more detail the better it make's me feel like i'm back in the parks, and you can never have too many pictures

May 2005 - 18 days, 2 weeks at Pop Century and 4 days Gulf Coast
May 2010 - 3 weeks including our Wedding - 10 days at the Pop, 7 days POR
and 5 days Honeymoon onboard the Disney Wonder

October 2012 - 17 days at CSR
May 2015 - 17 days at CSR again
~Piglet~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #74
2Tiggies

Thanks Piglet. I am almost done typing out the next day, after countless interruptions tonight. It WILL be posted in the next hour - just waiting for the other photos to upload.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #75
2Tiggies

We were pretty tired from our first two days. I think we also hadn’t really caught up on our lost sleep from the flight and arrival day so this had been intentionally planned as a chilled out day. Typhoon Lagoon was where we were headed and since it only opens at 10 am there wasn’t the same pressure to get there early as with the other Big Four parks.

We took our time getting moving and only headed down for breakfast around 10 am. We stopped by Sassagoula Floatworks and ordered a Bounty Platter with no bacon or eggs again. We did this a few times during the course of our stay and due to the unusual nature of the request, the platter varied in contents and volume quite considerably. It didn’t matter – we could never finish it between us in any form. We took pictures of all our breakfasts but for some reason I don't seem to have any of the platter.

By 10.20 am we were out waiting for the bus, which arrived quite soon after we did. The TL bus goes to DTD as well and also makes all the Riverside stops so it took over half an hour to get there, dropping us at the waterpark just before 11 am. We’ve been to Blizzard Beach but this was our first trip to Typhoon Lagoon so we took a leisurely stroll through the entrance, stopping to take in the theming which is very different to Blizzard Beach’s wintery display.

DD had been itching to do Crush n Gusher, so after exploring the park for a while we made our way over there, leaving my backpack on one of the chairs there. I didn’t hire a locker this time as the only things in the bag were our shorts and shirts. I had one of those waterproof cases for our KTTW cards, a bit of cash and of course a couple of naughty cigarettes and lighter. I also had a waterproof camera pouch for my compact camera so anything worth nicking was kept on me at all times. It made life a lot easier not having to trek back and forth to a locker whenever we needed something – and saved us $8 (after refund of deposit) in the process.

There was no real line for Crush n Gusher and the only time spent waiting to ride was walking the route up the stairs to get to the top. We had several goes on that and decided that we liked Pineapple the best.

After about 45 minutes of this DD wanted to go to the wave pool so we grabbed out things and moved in that direction. She loved this and I quite liked it too because I found a chair right in the front row where I could sit and keep an eye on her when I felt like some sunshine. I forgot to mention, this was probably the ‘coolest’ day we had while we were there. It was hot when the sun was out but there were a lot of clouds in the sky and a moderate breeze so when the sun disappeared behind the clouds it was a bit chilly standing around all wet.

It was lunch time by now and we made our way to Leaning Palms for lunch. I ordered the chicken salad which was amazing. It was different to the typical CS chicken salads and had beans and corn on it as well. With it I ordered a fruit pot and a coffee. DD had a kids pizza with fries and a cookie. We weren’t terribly hungry and one of the primary reasons for getting lunch when we did was so that we could acquire a sandpail and shovel for DD to play with, however the food was surprisingly fresh and tasty and we ended up eating most of it, saving the dessert for later.

Now kitted out with our sand equipment, we went back to the sandy area at the wave pool and spent the next two hours between the pool and the sand.

I wanted to leave the park by 3 pm as we had a House of Blues reservation at 5.45 pm and we were certainly not in a presentable state as we were. We stopped to get a couple of smoothies to drink on our way to the bus and left the park to return to our resort.

A quick shower and change of clothes had us on the DTD boat by about 5 pm.

Chatting to a couple on the boat we mentioned our HoB reservation and they suggested we took that water taxi across to the West Side and were horrified when I told them that we had actually opted to walk.Someone nearby even queried whether we were aware of the distance. It’s such a lovely walk and granted, we had pushed our time a little so we had to keep up the pace, but I think you miss so much otherwise. I really wanted some photos but the glare from the afternoon sun was incredible and it was pointless even trying at this stage.

Ha! I have too many images to post. Continued in next post.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: