Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #31
buzz for boys
Certified Serious Stitch Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
She had severe infant colic which continued well into her first year. Eventually it was diagnosed as gluten intolerance that was an 'extension of infant colic'. I kept her on a strict diet for her first 6 years until we tried a new method of introducing tiny amounts of gluten into her diet very slowly. It was touch and go at first and she had some bad reactions but the theory behind it was to build up her immunity to the offending ingredients. I must point out that she is not celiac which would have been a very different story and tests had confirmed this.

There is always hope. Childhood allergies are the ones that can present a chance of overcoming. It is the ones that creep up later in life that seem to be around to stay. I have no medical training so please don't take my methods as advice though as I was following advice myself.
Thanks

Dd is a coeliac so i guess ill just go back to the idea that she wont ever grow out of it !!
Thank you for taking the time to explain your situation!!!
I often wonder what dd would do if we suddenly said she could have gluten as from 9 months old we have trained her to avoid it - i think she too like Tove would struggle to reverse the avoidance.
Thansk for the heads up on airline food ill be sure to amke sure we get something for her to take on board !! Kast year her meal was far superior to ours and Im shocked that it has gone so far downhill in just 18 months !
Thanks again x x

buzz for boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #32
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymad View Post

Sorry to hear about the lens though Might be worth checking it now you're home again? I had problems intermittently with my lens while I was out there too, refusing to autofocus occasionally though switching camera off and on usually took care of it. I think perhaps they struggle sometimes in the heat/humidity, and I'm sure constantly switching from aircon to hot to aircon to hot all the time doesn't help though the grinding and screeching doesn't sound good!
Sadly at home is where I realised there was a problem. It was so noisy at the airport I didnt notice it and put it down to poor lighting as set on P is sometimes wouldn't take a shot if I didn't adjust the camera settings to the lighting.

TBH I am not suprised. The camera arrived wrapped beautifully in bubble wrap ..... with the lens rolling around loose in the box I googled it and it seems that the motor on auto focus setting is not working. I set it to M and it does take pics but won't let me manaully focus so the shots are awful. I really need a VR lens though anyway and having had a superzoom I did miss the telephoto range on this one so I always had another camera with me. I had problems with blur occasionally as well. This camera made me very aware of the people who walk around the parks, whip out their compact camera and snap a shot while on the move without even looking at it I found it quite incredible! So new lens was on the cards anyway but I didn't want a situation to dictate when I had to fork out the cash for it. Watching eBay ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz for boys View Post
Thanks

Dd is a coeliac so i guess ill just go back to the idea that she wont ever grow out of it !!
Thank you for taking the time to explain your situation!!!
I often wonder what dd would do if we suddenly said she could have gluten as from 9 months old we have trained her to avoid it - i think she too like Tove would struggle to reverse the avoidance.
Thansk for the heads up on airline food ill be sure to amke sure we get something for her to take on board !! Kast year her meal was far superior to ours and Im shocked that it has gone so far downhill in just 18 months !
Thanks again x x
Yes, the meals have changed. Two years ago the GF meal was a full, substantial meal. I would never have thought to take my own food this time except that last year VA forgot her meal - on BOTH flights even though i contacted them to confirm before each one.

It is funny to see how Tove so desperately wanted the 'normal' food but sort of skirted around the starchy bits. I was pleased we had free dining because I would never have been able to let her have the freedom to taste and waste as she did had I paid for all our meals OOP like 2 years ago. What I do acknowledge is that children who are diagnosed very early in life grow up being used to what they can and cannot eat and at a relatively early age they learn to manage their own diets when you aren't around. I have become so used to grabbing something off the shelf at the shops and immediately turning it over for the list of ingredients. Once they can read well enough the children start doing the same as they learn what to look for.
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #33
DisGirl23
Is it time to go to Disney World yet?!

Quote:
We strolled along to the foodcourt to acquaint ourselves with our new surroundings and collect our refillable mugs. I needed my rootbeer!!! I then went to see where the nearest DSA was and found two, right outside the main building. While there I chatted to a lovely lady about WDW in general and she mentioned that she is a DISer – just out of the blue. My face lit up and I told her I am on the DIS too. Before I could ask her what her screen name is she asked me “Are you 2Tiggies?” I was stunned. Was I wearing a badge or something? Lol, she knew from the POFQ thread that I was arriving that day so she took a flying guess. For some reason that just made my day!
That would be me!
I was so excited to meet my first DISer there! Even my fiance was shocked I actually ran into someone from here.
I was hoping you would have a trip report going somewhere so I could see if you loved POFQ as much as I did! I even broke my rule and booked it again for next September!
2002 Coronado Springs šOš 2001, 2000, 1999 Off Site šOš 1999 Disney Institute
1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993 Off Site

DisGirl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:56 AM   #34
jackieleanne
DIS Veteran

Great start to your pretrippie love the photo's it looks so lovely and warm I can't wait to get back. 5 weeks today and ill be at Manchester Airport yay.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

jackieleanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:32 AM   #35
strawberry blonde
DIS Veteran

Great first day. Can't wait to read more

Love the photo of your daughter zonked out on the bed.... think we've all been there
strawberry blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:49 AM   #36
igk
DIS Veteran

Great report! The pictures are beautiful. Can't believe I'll be there in 6 days...
igk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:35 AM   #37
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Funny, I often looked around the ornate reception area and wondered how it would look all decked out for Christmas. Please take some photos. I have plenty more of POFQ but I think they should go on the resort picture thread. We took 2000 photos plus 400 on our Photopass so there are plenty pictures. Some need to be deleted though - I haven't had time to sort through them yet.
I'm no David Bailey - but will ask DH to take some. I've never posted a picture so I may need instructions when we get back!! Your enthusiasm is infectious
Old 10-23-2010, 06:48 AM   #38
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisGirl23 View Post
That would be me!
I was so excited to meet my first DISer there! Even my fiance was shocked I actually ran into someone from here.
I was hoping you would have a trip report going somewhere so I could see if you loved POFQ as much as I did! I even broke my rule and booked it again for next September!
I did remember your screen name, just didn't post it. I was so pleased too. I proudly wore my 2Tiggies LGMH for the rest of our trip and only saw one other DISer. I kept looking out for you the next few days. I couldn't remember when you said you were leaving. Oh and congratulations again on your engagement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Doubtfire View Post
I'm no David Bailey - but will ask DH to take some. I've never posted a picture so I may need instructions when we get back!! Your enthusiasm is infectious
Honestly, it is so pretty you will get into it if you have your camera with you. Even my 8 year old DD was snapping away pics of the resort, food, signs, etc by the second day. I must say, she got some really nice shots too. Sorting photos is going to be a task all on its own though. I did set up folders for each day of our trip before we left and every night I just put the pics from the memory cards onto the laptop so that has made life a whole lot easier. If you take a netbook or laptop I recommend this as I have had a real challenge sorting them in the past.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:49 AM   #39
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by igk View Post
Great report! The pictures are beautiful. Can't believe I'll be there in 6 days...
Oh dont rub it in - I just want to go back

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry blonde View Post

Love the photo of your daughter zonked out on the bed.... think we've all been there
I was actually expecting this. I remembered to take a pic of it this time because in past years I have been describing the scene to family members and wished I had taken a pic. Last year our flight from Manchester to Edinburgh was delayed. That would have made an awesome pic. She was standing in the waiting area at the boarding gate with her minnie ears on and I watched her eyes roll back as she just fell backwards onto the couch with this funny exhausted look on her face. I had to get two fellow passengers to help me carry her through onto the plane. We couldn't get her to stir.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #40
DisGirl23

Quote:
I did remember your screen name, just didn't post it. I was so pleased too. I proudly wore my 2Tiggies LGMH for the rest of our trip and only saw one other DISer. I kept looking out for you the next few days. I couldn't remember when you said you were leaving. Oh and congratulations again on your engagement.
We were leaving that next day. That's actually how I had remembered you were arriving on the 25th. I knew someone was arriving the day before we left. So sad. I really do miss POFQ! Did September spoil you?

Thank you! As you can tell by my ticker, a little girls trip has been planned for my mother, my Matron of Honor and myself to WDW to check out some of the wedding sites. So exciting! Hopefully the price tag won't kill me!

Old 10-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #41
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry blonde View Post
Great first day. Can't wait to read more

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisGirl23 View Post
We were leaving that next day. That's actually how I had remembered you were arriving on the 25th. I knew someone was arriving the day before we left. So sad. I really do miss POFQ! Did September spoil you?

Thank you! As you can tell by my ticker, a little girls trip has been planned for my mother, my Matron of Honor and myself to WDW to check out some of the wedding sites. So exciting! Hopefully the price tag won't kill me!
I found this time of the year a little harder to work with. The weather was beautiful and I would do it again, but the crowds at MK were horrific and EMH didn't run as late as in the peak times meaning people stuck it out to the very end and what used to be our productive hours at MK were not as easy to work with. I think if we had shifted our trip to start one week earlier it may have been slightly different. I did notice last weekend that the crowds in the other parks were picking up a lot from when we first arrived 2 weeks before though.

A wedding planning trip, how cool! Where will you stay to conduct your 'research'? We fell head over heels in love with POFQ so my plans for a split POP/Poly stay next year have been altered to POFQ and just a few days at the Poly.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #42
DisGirl23

Quote:
I found this time of the year a little harder to work with. The weather was beautiful and I would do it again, but the crowds at MK were horrific and EMH didn't run as late as in the peak times meaning people stuck it out to the very end and what used to be our productive hours at MK were not as easy to work with. I think if we had shifted our trip to start one week earlier it may have been slightly different. I did notice last weekend that the crowds in the other parks were picking up a lot from when we first arrived 2 weeks before though.
We really noticed the crowds picking up during our last weekend, when you arrived. The start of F&W and the marathon really packed them in. The majority of our week we walked onto everything. We didn't even need EMH but, of course took advantage of them anyway!

A wedding planning trip, how cool! Where will you stay to conduct your 'research'? We fell head over heels in love with POFQ so my plans for a split POP/Poly stay next year have been altered to POFQ and just a few days at the Poly.
We will stay at Pop Century. Since we were initially just going for the weekend and there was still room only discounts, I decided to try Pop (haven't stayed there yet). I left the reservations up to my mother since the reservation system wasn't back up yet and I had to get to work. She got a little excited and booked for 5 nights! She said she didn't think we could possibly see all the sites and venues in 3 days... right....
I think when we go to DTD, we'll take the boat over so she can see POFQ. I had told her about the boat rides from the resort and that it would be the perfect retirement job for her. She loves riding people around in her boat here.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #43
crabbie1
DIS Veteran

Love the report and pictures lee. Sorry not been on to add post but have laryngitis at the moment and hv only briefly looked at the board. Glad you liked POFQ i liked it when i visited it from por. Preferred the pool as well. I also found MK busy for some reason and on the 6 th october AK wa unbearable. We left at 12 after only 3 hours. Spent most our time at epcot. Looking forward to reading the rest .
Old 10-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #44
misspickle
Mouseketeer

great start
Old 10-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #45
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Subscribing to a great trip report!
Love that you ran in to a DISer on your first day - it's always great to bump in to someone from this great community!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: