Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #286
CRdisMom
DIS Veteran
 
CRdisMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 2,038

I did the bathroom dance at the Cali grill..They do know how to cause havoc...
__________________
Laura

CRdisMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #287
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!
 
nenner1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: TAMPA, FL
Posts: 3,564

Wasting Away Again...Yes Again!!!

After our fun tour to Stingray City with Captain Marvin’s, we were excited to go relax swim, shop and have some eats and drinks at one of our favorite places in Grand Cayman…yes, another Margaritaville!








This one is way cooler than the one in Key West. I know, that’s the original, but it doesn’t have a gimmick. This one does in the form of a large pool and twirling slide. It’s a wonderful place to waste away several hours on this beautiful island.

We walked the short couple of blocks from where we were dropped off near the tenders. headed up the stairs and found ourselves a nice spot in one of the poolside cabanas and let the kids loose!!








Much of the sun had now disappeared behind the clouds and it was now totally overcast but luckily we experienced no rain. There were still lots of folks up on the pool deck when we arrived and we would find out later a couple of Disers from our meet thread had been there as well, and we must have just missed them.

















While the kids swam and slid we were absolutely famished so we ordered a small bit to tide us over until we would get back onboard. Since the exchange rate in CI is appx. $1.25 USD for every $1.00 CI, food, drinks, and merchandise are pretty pricey here. We ordered a Cheeseburger in Paradise (with fries) a basket of Onion Rings, two sodas, and an iced tea put us back at least in the $30-$40 range. (Pay cash to avoid a conversion fee on your credit cards!)







It looks good, it tasted great, and as you can see it was hard to get anyone’s attention away from the food. Starving on a cruise, who woulda thunk it?





Here is the view from the top of the slide platform!





There’s our ride!




**Continued in next post**
__________________


Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report

Last edited by nenner1; 01-23-2011 at 11:51 AM.
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #288
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!
 
nenner1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: TAMPA, FL
Posts: 3,564

Wasting Away Again...Yes Again!!! (Part 2)

Before too long, we were joined by Fastpaks: Jonathan, Amy, and Adam, who also ordered lunch. We all had a blast hanging out, sharing stories of the cruise so far, swimming and sliding! We pretty much had the pool to ourselves at this point!




Brendan:



Savannah:



Adam:



Sarah:



Sarah loved the slide so much, she was constantly begging one of us to take her. Thankfully the pool is fairly shallow, and with her floatie vest on, she could ride down with Brendan and Savannah. 20 trips up those stairs was enough for me!

















We couldn’t hang out for too long though, as the ship would be leaving soon. We hit the shop to get some merchandise and while very expensive, this was in fact the nicest store we would encounter on our Grand Margaritaville Tour..

Not cramped or crowded in here!




So overall, though very expensive (did I already mention that?), we still give Margaritaville Grand Cayman two thumbs up as a great place to waste away a couple of hours near the port area.


We finally headed back to the Magic in the latter half of the 3:00 hour, actually rather close to the last tender time of 4:00. As we re-entered the shopping plaza where the tenders were, we found some great kiosks set up with some reasonably priced clothing, and especially cute dresses. We got Sarah one, and also made a stop at a nearby Christmas shop where I picked up a cute resin stingray Christmas ornament.


Then we walked right up, went right through security and walked right on the tender. No waiting at all. The lines at the nearby Norwegian tent for the Dawn were horrifyingly long, and appeared to not be moving at all. Not sure if that was a time issue (most of the DCL passengers already onboard?) or if they were just running more tenders to our ship, but it was nice to not wait forever. We did accidentally throw Sarah’s bathing suit in the towel bin, but luckily we saw it, so we had to stop and dig through the bin and retrieve it. Oops!



The tender left promptly which was nice- last time at Cayman they held the tender forever until it was totally full. As we reboarded the ship, we found ourselves in the elevator with the older couple from Match your Mate…the “Mustang” people, and we had to stifle our giggles.

We spent the last hours of the afternoon relaxing on the balcony, and getting ready for dinner and the show. Mickey got a much needed nap, and his bed had quite the view.



The sunset as we sailed away from Cayman was not spectacular, but we didn’t much mind.






Up next: Villains! Tonight!
__________________


Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report

Last edited by nenner1; 01-23-2011 at 12:02 PM.
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #289
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!
 
nenner1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: TAMPA, FL
Posts: 3,564

Quote:
Originally Posted by jns View Post
finally catching up
great report
Thanks! Great to see ya back! The good thing about my TR's, you can take a little break then come back and it's still going! Or maybe that's not a good thing...LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRdisMom View Post
I did the bathroom dance at the Cali grill..They do know how to cause havoc...
Oh yeah! Can't think of a nicer place to do it though! We have not yet been to California Grill, and I want to (baaaad), would love to just hop over there for a nice romantic dinner for just Ron and I but the kids would kill us if we didn't take them too..
__________________


Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #290
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place
 
dvc4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,835

Jen - I am so thoroughly enjoying your TR. Reading yours and Ellen's at the same time is very fun. I love to see all the photos you are posting. Just makes the TR so much better. And your kids are adorable.

And I wanted to tell you that you deserve a great big medal for all the planning you did for the Trick or Treat on the ship. That can't be an easy undertaking. But you made it look like it was so easy. And I'm sure that all of those who participated really appreciated all your hard work. So I just wanted to say OUTSTANDING JOB!

Looks like Margaritaville in Cayman is really cool. We weren't able to go there when we did the Western cruise. The weather was to rough for the tenders to run so maybe next time. We will definitely have to go there.

Well, keep up the great job on your TR as I can't wait for the next installment.
__________________
Chris
dvc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #291
livingis2me
DIS Veteran
 
livingis2me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
Sarah:


As Jimmy Buffett would say, "You won't see this sh!# at Disney World!" ...or our Adventure Island in Tampa. 3 way tandem on a waterslide!!! I guess while all the adults are wastin' away it's not so hard to bend the rules a little.

Love this Margaritaville!!! Love this trip report (and trip reporter)!!!

Ron
__________________

Last edited by livingis2me; 01-24-2011 at 11:56 AM.
livingis2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #292
CRdisMom
DIS Veteran
 
CRdisMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 2,038

The key to Cali Grill is to book just before sunset as it is an amazing photo op. We gotr there at 5:30 armed with a DSI and an Ipod touch loaded with movies. Our server was totally cool with as he said too many kids go up there and run araound. I normally don't do that but I knew that I wanted to catch wishes from the top. Our server knew that and took his sweet time bringing out all the courses. We did 5 courses. He said he wasn't going to hurry us as we belonged there. I was perpolexed but he said we were dressed properly and knew what to expect. Then he went off about the dinning plan. So long story short I hat a custom cake delivered for my birthday and we stayed until 10 pm! Our bill was crazy! I have never spent that much on a dinner--okay work has paid for dinners that expensive but not me. His tip was good. You need to try it.
__________________
Laura

CRdisMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #293
DundasDad
Mouseketeer
 
DundasDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ontario, CAN
Posts: 188

Really enjoying this - our first ever cruise is coming up in March - lot's of great ideas and you're doing a fantastice job describing what to expect
__________________
Wilderness Lodge Mar 2007
Wilderness Lodge Jan 2008
Port Orleans Riverside June 2008
Port Orleans Riverside March 2009
Kissimmee Condo (Grumpy's Villa) March 2010
Western Magic March 2011
Eastern Magic & Port Orleans Riverside March 2012
Double Dip on the Dream July 2015

DundasDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #294
Cheryl726
DIS Veteran
 
Cheryl726's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, RI
Posts: 620

Ooh Margaritaville looks great!
__________________
DWDHDS15DS12

Cheryl726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #295
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?
 
knewton64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1,635

Smile What time is it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl726 View Post
Ooh Margaritaville looks great!


hmmmmm - me thinks we need to ask Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffet.




love the pics!!



T.T.F.N.
__________________
Por favor manténgase alejado de las puertas
MY "GETTING SPOOKED @ WDW" - MNSSHP TRIP REPORT; Oct 28th -Nov 4th 2010(w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....0&referrerid=0
My "ADVENTURES N IRELAND" - TRIP REPORT; JUNE 2011 (w/pics & video) -http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N HAWAII" -October 2011 trip report (w/pics & video)- http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2&referrerid=0
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND & SCOTLAND" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT - August 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; DEC 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
knewton64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #296
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?
 
anewmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Temecula, Ca
Posts: 2,687

1st off, love Rons comments.. arent you just the sweetest! awww!!!

Love all the pool pics, thats a great way to end the day chillaxen at the pool with some good food and drinks, looks like the kids worked up an appetite. I love the pics of all 3 of them eatting, its soo cute!

As for the tenders, glad they got it right this time and had more tenders going and not waiting for them to fill up.. ugg that bugged me on our DD.
__________________
Drea
anewmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:17 AM   #297
Fastpaks
Living the Dream, One Image at a time!
 
Fastpaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: STL
Posts: 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingis2me View Post
As Jimmy Buffett would say, "You won't see this sh!# at Disney World!" ...or our Adventure Island in Tampa. 3 way tandem on a waterslide!!! I guess while all the adults are wastin' away it's not so hard to bend the rules a little.

Love this Margaritaville!!! Love this trip report (and trip reporter)!!!

Ron
Nice Touch Ron!! I agree this MArgaritville is the easily the best. I wish we would have come there sooner! I have a priceless picture of my experience on the slide..

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
1st off, love Rons comments.. arent you just the sweetest! awww!!!

Love all the pool pics, thats a great way to end the day chillaxen at the pool with some good food and drinks, looks like the kids worked up an appetite. I love the pics of all 3 of them eatting, its soo cute!

As for the tenders, glad they got it right this time and had more tenders going and not waiting for them to fill up.. ugg that bugged me on our DD.
My wife and I were one of the last ones off the ship since we didn't have a place to be. We found that every 10 minutes and life was good. I remember my wife's initial thoughts were full of fright as we had to walk across a plank and she doesn't swim.
__________________
You only live life once, so laugh a little.
Fastpaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #298
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!
 
nenner1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: TAMPA, FL
Posts: 3,564

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc4life View Post
Jen - I am so thoroughly enjoying your TR. Reading yours and Ellen's at the same time is very fun. I love to see all the photos you are posting. Just makes the TR so much better. And your kids are adorable.
Aww thanks so much! I need to use this St. John downtime Ellen has going on and catch up!!

Quote:
And I wanted to tell you that you deserve a great big medal for all the planning you did for the Trick or Treat on the ship. That can't be an easy undertaking. But you made it look like it was so easy. And I'm sure that all of those who participated really appreciated all your hard work. So I just wanted to say OUTSTANDING JOB!
Thank you!!! I'll tell you though the only reward I needed was seeing the kids running by from station to station, having a blast! I think some of the parents wanted to hurt me (up the stairs, down the stairs, back up..LOL), but it was wonderful. We are excited for our next cruise (on RCCL Allure of the Seas) but in a way..so disappointed that it isn't Disney because the Dis experience is so special and unlike anything else you can encounter. And being on a holiday gave it that special extra touch.

Quote:
Looks like Margaritaville in Cayman is really cool. We weren't able to go there when we did the Western cruise. The weather was to rough for the tenders to run so maybe next time. We will definitely have to go there.
Oh that is a bummer! Yes M-ville is very cool. And it doesn't have to break the bank (although it easily can...). The weather hasn't been the greatest the couple of times we've been there now, no sun either time, but no rain either so....


Quote:
Well, keep up the great job on your TR as I can't wait for the next installment.
Well thank you for reading, and the glowing compliments! I'm so glad you are enjoying it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingis2me View Post
As Jimmy Buffett would say, "You won't see this sh!# at Disney World!" ...or our Adventure Island in Tampa. 3 way tandem on a waterslide!!! I guess while all the adults are wastin' away it's not so hard to bend the rules a little.
I think that is my favorite JB quote..ever.

Quote:
Love this Margaritaville!!! Love this trip report (and trip reporter)!!!

Ron
Aww, love you too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRdisMom View Post
The key to Cali Grill is to book just before sunset as it is an amazing photo op. We gotr there at 5:30 armed with a DSI and an Ipod touch loaded with movies. Our server was totally cool with as he said too many kids go up there and run araound. I normally don't do that but I knew that I wanted to catch wishes from the top. Our server knew that and took his sweet time bringing out all the courses. We did 5 courses. He said he wasn't going to hurry us as we belonged there. I was perpolexed but he said we were dressed properly and knew what to expect. Then he went off about the dinning plan So long story short I hat a custom cake delivered for my birthday and we stayed until 10 pm! Our bill was crazy! I have never spent that much on a dinner--okay work has paid for dinners that expensive but not me. His tip was good. You need to try it.
Wow, what a great experience! Sounds fantabulous!!!!! I guarantee we *will* try it -hopefully sooner than later. Ron always is hesitant every time I get one of my "Grand Disney Ideas" but he really does enjoy them, just like I tell him he will. And I know he will love CG since he LOVES sushi and it is not something we have much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DundasDad View Post
Really enjoying this - our first ever cruise is coming up in March - lot's of great ideas and you're doing a fantastice job describing what to expect
Thanks so much for reading!! Hope it helps give you ideas and prepare you for your upcoming cruise. You will be hooked, I'm telling you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl726 View Post
Ooh Margaritaville looks great!
Yes it was! And both times we've been there we have had fantastic company from our Dis thread! That makes it all the better!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knewton64 View Post
hmmmmm - me thinks we need to ask Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffet.




love the pics!!



T.T.F.N.
Ha! A word of caution for all cruisers, have your own watch set because all the clocks there say 5:00!


Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
1st off, love Rons comments.. arent you just the sweetest! awww!!!
Yea, he is!

Quote:
Love all the pool pics, thats a great way to end the day chillaxen at the pool with some good food and drinks, looks like the kids worked up an appetite. I love the pics of all 3 of them eatting, its soo cute!
Man, they meant business! That cheeseburger was the *only* thing keeping Sarah away from that slide!

And you would have loved the place.....well except for the prices. I almost felt like it was blasphemy being in Margaritaville and not having a margarita, but dang, they cost like $18.

Quote:
As for the tenders, glad they got it right this time and had more tenders going and not waiting for them to fill up.. ugg that bugged me on our DD.
Yea that was ridiculous, they just kept going and going, and letting more, and more, and more.....ugh. And we were baking up on the top level, had gotten a bad sunburn earlier that day, and had a cranky baby. It was much, much better this time around!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaks View Post
Nice Touch Ron!! I agree this MArgaritville is the easily the best. I wish we would have come there sooner! I have a priceless picture of my experience on the slide..
Too cool, I can't wait to see it!

Quote:
My wife and I were one of the last ones off the ship since we didn't have a place to be. We found that every 10 minutes and life was good. I remember my wife's initial thoughts were full of fright as we had to walk across a plank and she doesn't swim.
Yeah...don't look down! We had a lot of fun with you guys!
__________________


Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:44 PM   #299
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?
 
anewmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Temecula, Ca
Posts: 2,687

Quote:
And you would have loved the place.....well except for the prices. I almost felt like it was blasphemy being in Margaritaville and not having a margarita, but dang, they cost like $18.
HA, we went there.. only for about an hour we got some chow after our bootleg tour let the kids swim then we headed over to 7mile.. I had a beer what can i say, when in Rome... go with what ya know LOL
__________________
Drea
anewmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #300
myelton01
Mouseketeer
 
myelton01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 361

Looks like everyone had a great time in Margaritaville! Great update! Can't wait to read more.
__________________
Morgan/ME - 30 DH - 32 DD - 9. DS - 6 Dear baby to be: Sept 2013
myelton01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruise, dcl, halloween, magic, trip report



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: