Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2010, 02:22 AM   #181
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Oops! I meant to check in here before, just found you again! I'll be back to catch up!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #182
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengirl628 View Post
great report! thanks for sharing!
Thanks so much for reading! Glad you are enjoying it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
you didnt participate in Magic quest.. we came late to but just joined in with some other couple shared our "water" with them LOL
Yea we were really late (it was at the very end) and heck no way was I not sitting with E! Can you imagine if we had been on a team!? That would have been a sight to see! I think Pods would have looked fab in a bra and lipstick!

Quote:
damn them martinis they get ya every time.. must be that and the mixture of the theater that messes people up lol JUST SAYING ... LOL
Ah, I don't know, remember I never made it to the theater, I was unpacking. I think it was mostly just a super strong martini- I have always had the best drinks in RBar D!

Quote:
Love the matching tie dye shirts they work perfectly for the character breakfast, and so cute that sarah is so camera ready!!
Thanks! Yeah, she is camera ready alright, ready for meltdowns on camera, which I did catch a couple of those later on that day!

Quote:
Cant wait to see how the dis meet hallwoeen went!
Oh it was quite an event!!!! I'm hopeful I can get that part up today I thought I'd have it up yesterday but it was too many pics for one segment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Oops! I meant to check in here before, just found you again! I'll be back to catch up!
Hey Tammie, no prob! Unfortunately I have had no exciting run-ins with famous Hollywood Stars or bees so you haven't missed too much! LOL!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #183
livingis2me
DIS Veteran

Cool, another update!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #184
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your napkin hats!!! Your pics from that breakfast look GREAT!! Kind of makes me wish I would have made more of an effort and gone.... We were sleeping in after our overwhelming 1st day- I think our sleeping in was a VERY good thing- anyway.....it's almost time for TOT!!

I am almost caught up to you!!
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #185
nenner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingis2me View Post
Cool, another update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
I LOVE LOVE LOVE your napkin hats!!! Your pics from that breakfast look GREAT!! Kind of makes me wish I would have made more of an effort and gone.... We were sleeping in after our overwhelming 1st day- I think our sleeping in was a VERY good thing- anyway.....it's almost time for TOT!!
Yeah, uhhhh maybe if you guys had gotten up and had BREAKFAST Pods wouldn't have disappeared with all of the ToT candy.

Quote:
I am almost caught up to you!!
Yeah I like it that way, I felt like I was spoiling your TR by being so far ahead! I'm going to try to keep pace with you from here on out for the sanity of the readers following both!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
Old 12-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #186
myelton01
Mouseketeer

So, I'm finally catching back up! You and Ellen have made me decide that DH and I need to try and make it to MQ at least. Love the napkin hats at the character breakfast! We don't get a breakfast on our 4 day, but maybe I will be able to talk DH into going on a 7 day soon... Great updates and can't wait to hear about ToT!!! Have a wonderful Christmas this weekend!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #187
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

Great report so far.

I have to say - I love the pens you gave out for the FE gift. I use mine all the time. It writes so well, the ink doesn't smudge and it's a great reminder of the cruise.

And feel free to use any of my food photos that you need. I may need to "borrow" some of your pirate night photos
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #188
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Smile All caught up....

....on yer TR.

LOVE THOSE DINING NAPKIN "HATS".

T.T.F.N.
My "ADVENTURES N IRELAND" - TRIP REPORT; JUNE 2011 (w/pics & video) -http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N HAWAII" -October 2011 trip report (w/pics & video)- http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2&referrerid=0
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; DEC 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
knewton64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #189
nenner1

Trick or Treat, Smell My Feet.....

...Give me something good to eat!!!!

After just having plenty of good to eat food at Mickey’s Island Jam breakfast, I was on a mission back to the room to pick up all of the candy and supplies for the Disboards Meet Thread Trick or Treat (ToT) extravaganza!

In a cruise packed full of Halloween events, which included an official Trick or Treat thrown by DCL, why a separate Dis ToT you might ask? Well, the reason we decided to throw our own was because in doing our research we had discovered that traditionally DCL holds their ToT in the afternoon hours and since many of us had excursions or planned to be in port at Key West on Halloween, we decided it would be best to throw our own at a time more convenient for attendance. (What Disers don’t want to do it all, right?!?)

I had not initially been so prominently involved in the Dis ToT event, as I was handling the lanyards for the meet thread, and we ended up being such a large group that would have been more than enough to keep me busy. But back at the beginning I, along with Ellen, had volunteered to be part of the group planning the ToT. And unfortunately first one and then the other of the volunteers in charge of the ToT had to change and/or cancel the cruise, so in the end it was just the two of us left. In fact I had only really intended for the extent of my involvement being to bring a little of the chocolate onboard, and to man one of the ToT stations. Of course that isn’t quite how it ended up, because once it was up to us, I took the idea and ran with it!

Early on the preference of the group had been established: a multi-stop ToT similar to DCL’s, but with clues to find the stops a la Scavenger Hunt style to make it a little more fun. I had come up with a plan of stops, assigned volunteers, bought and divided candy and supplies, authored and produced the necessary documentation (info packets, spreadsheets, clues, and cheat sheets) and packed and brought it all onboard. Ellen thought the plan was fantastic, so now we would have to see if everything worked out well, or if the whole event would turn out to be a bust.

A few weeks prior to the cruise, we went shopping with the Lanyard overage money, which is what funded the ToT, along with some generous donations. In the very early stages of planning before the number of participants grew high, we thought maybe a bag of candy per station would be enough. In the end, we had 83 children participating and in order to keep the quality of our ToT, (which meant good candy, and a good amount of it) we ended up with probably around 30 bags. This is what the approximately $167 we had to work with bought:

Yep, that’s a whole lot of candy!

So back at our stateroom, I retrieved all of that candy and the supplies and took it one flight down to deck 5, where I had selected the Atrium near the Lab to be the starting point for the hunt. Volunteers began to arrive first, and I distributed to each of them their candy and supplies and they headed off to their stations. The weather was beautiful, so no need to implement the rain-out plan (there was one, just in case, even though it is not allowed to rain on my cruise!!!).

How it would work is each group of Trick or Treaters would approach me, and I would assign them a color, and a corresponding sticker. I would give them their ToT bags if they needed one, and then their very first clue, which was printed on little scrolls. The clue scrolls would lead them to the ToT stops. Each color would arrive at the six stops in a different order, which was planned that way to not overwhelm each stop all at once.

Here is some of the info, first the cheat sheets the participants got to help them if they got stuck, and then an example of one of the instruction packets for the volunteers:

Here are examples of all of the clue scrolls:

Almost immediately the entire Deck 5 Atrium area became swarmed and bombarded with Disers. I had hoped this area would not be terribly crowded, but we were such a large group we attracted attention just by the sheer volume of us. Of course anytime on DCL you see children in costume, queued up, it is safe to assume something good you don’t want to miss is probably going on, so we had many folks joining in our line not knowing what it was for, but thinking it was something officially sponsored by DCL. The madhouse was enhanced by the fact that by pure (bad) luck, I happened to be stationed right next to a Club/Lab sign up table. Since I had established the start point at home well before the cruise there wasn’t much I could do about it at that point, but make the best of it….and with the help of all of the wonderful people on this cruise, I think it went off really well!

Here are some shots of the massive lineup of Dis Kids waiting to get started Trick or Treating:

And here I am getting everybody assigned their colors and off on their way: (Thanks for the pic Ellen! In fact quite a few of these ToT pics are borrowed from Ellen since I was manning the Start area until almost the very end of the hunt).

Brendan and Savannah had already run off with some of their friends, I think they were with Judy’s sons Daniel and Tim and Kim’s boys Troy and Patrick. Ron was helping make sure one of the stations was situated in a good spot, and when he got back be took Sarah around.

Here are some of the amazing volunteers manning their stops, these great volunteers really made this event such a success, they had so much fun with it:

On their way around to all the stops, Ron and Sarah ran into Donald:

I took about 15-20 minutes for the Start to clear out, and I did have stragglers until 11:30 or so. After that I began to make my way around to the stations to pick up the unused candy and treats. At some point I ran into the kids, and it was a good thing, because when I reached the Goofy pool area, Station A, which Pods was manning, we could not find him anywhere. Pods went rogue on us! Eventually I managed to clear all the other stations, and the ToT was one for the books. All of the feedback I heard was very positive, and I am so very glad that the kids really enjoyed it! My goal was to outdo Disney’s ToT, and while I don’t really know if I achieved that or not, I’m definitely satisfied with how it unfolded, thanks to everyone's generosity and hard work.

Enjoying the ToT:

I never did find Ron and Sarah so we headed back to the rooms to meet up with them and head out to Key West!

Up Next: Wastin’ Away Again….

Last edited by nenner1; 12-26-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #190
nenner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by myelton01 View Post
So, I'm finally catching back up! You and Ellen have made me decide that DH and I need to try and make it to MQ at least. Love the napkin hats at the character breakfast! We don't get a breakfast on our 4 day, but maybe I will be able to talk DH into going on a 7 day soon... Great updates and can't wait to hear about ToT!!! Have a wonderful Christmas this weekend!
Thanks so much, we had a great day yesterday! Hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas as well!!

The 4 night cruise was our first and it was just as great, it got us hooked for sure!!! I'm betting you may not have much trouble convincing your DH to try that 7-night cruise!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
Great report so far.
Thanks!!!

Quote:
I have to say - I love the pens you gave out for the FE gift. I use mine all the time. It writes so well, the ink doesn't smudge and it's a great reminder of the cruise.
Awesome, I'm so glad you like them! I did pens on my last cruise too and they looked really cool but they were terrible quality, they did not write well at all. This time before I ordered these we actually had one in hand and tried it before ordering (just so happened Ron got one at work that had been personalized for one of the doctors). I liked them but there were so many wonderful FE gifts we got on this cruise, especially the handcrafted items, which were amazing! Really impressive!! (We love our little purses!!!)

Quote:
And feel free to use any of my food photos that you need. I may need to "borrow" some of your pirate night photos
Thanks so much!!!! You are welcome to any photos of mine you want or need!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knewton64 View Post
....on yer TR.

LOVE THOSE DINING NAPKIN "HATS".

T.T.F.N.
Woo hoo, here's some Halloween stuff for ya!! ^^^

Old 12-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #191
akluss
Mouseketeer

Your Trick or Treat looked amazing!! You are awesome to take so much time and effort to do that for your fellow Dissers. Looking forward to more of your report. Karyn
akluss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #192
livingis2me
DIS Veteran

You did such a good job with the TOT. People really seemed to enjoy it.

Good installment!
Old 12-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #193
verygfy
DIS Veteran

WOW, can you please come on my cruise

What an amazing thing you did for all those people!! I do have a question though, how did you create the scrolls? They are so cute and I would love to do a scavenger hunt for DD birthday in June (I know 6 months away, but it's who I am).
verygfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:54 AM   #194
nenner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by akluss View Post
Your Trick or Treat looked amazing!! You are awesome to take so much time and effort to do that for your fellow Dissers. Looking forward to more of your report. Karyn
Hi Karyn! Thanks so much for reading, and for the compliment! It was such a joy to see the smiles on the kids faces as they ran around- totally worth any of the hassle (getting the candy onboard unmelted was the hardest part!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingis2me View Post
You did such a good job with the TOT. People really seemed to enjoy it.

Good installment!
Thanks and you do deserve kudos for carrying that heavy candy bag onboard the first day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verygfy View Post
WOW, can you please come on my cruise
You betcha, I need to make a sign, or put in my signature "Will corrdinate your Dis events for cruise fare"

Quote:
What an amazing thing you did for all those people!! I do have a question though, how did you create the scrolls? They are so cute and I would love to do a scavenger hunt for DD birthday in June (I know 6 months away, but it's who I am).
Aw, thank you so much! I made the scrolls in a photo editing program, I use Photoshop Elements 7. I googled "scroll" and found this blank scroll picture:

I resized it and copied and pasted it in Elements so that there were 4 on a sheet (8 1/2 x 11 letter sized) and from there I typed on the clue and added the little clip art pictures. It took a bit of time to get the first ones right but after that the rest came easily. I am very familiar with Elements because that is what I use when I do any digital scrapbooking and also when I make my cruise magnets, but you can also do it in a word processing program like Word or possibly even Paint.

From there I printed one out then made copies, cut out the four scrolls per page and rolled them up just like a little scroll. Because we had so many of them to do for the ToT (I believe I made 48 of each clue per color, and there were 3 different colors and 6 different stops so that makes 864 scrolls(!!!), I secured them with little colored rubber bands. I had figured out which stops needed which clues and had them divvied out into three ziploc bags per stop (one per color) oh wow, I was terrified I had made a mistake in giving the correct clues to the correct stops and that kids would get sent to the wrong place but thank goodness that didn't happen, I got it all right!!

I'd be happy to help you with your daughters Scavenger Hunt if you have any questions, just drop me a PM! I feel like a pro now!!

Old 12-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #195
bombygriz
CATS now and forever...

WOW, this is a great TR!! I love all the pics of the Halloween themed stuff, so cute! You are a MASTER for doing all those lanyards and TOT things! Can't wait for the update!

Our meet group could use lanyards like those, so I looked it up but my quote hasn't come in yet. How much did all that come to and how did you get everyone to pitch in? Feel free to PM me.
bombygriz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, dcl, halloween, magic, trip report

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: