Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2010, 01:07 AM   #1
mjaclyn
Currently in Wonderland

Pete Mentioned Prepaid Shipping Labels...

In a past podcast Pete mentioned something about getting prepaid shipping labels to ship your souvenirs so as not to take up room in the suitcase. We're heading to WDW for two weeks and I think this is an excellent idea. Our suitcases are already too close to the weight limit so I can't even imagine packing the stuff that will be accumulated in two weeks. Can anyone give me some more information on the labels? Where can I get them? I looked at both the UPS and FedEx websites and couldn't find anything about prepaid labels. Also, do these labels include a certain sized box to fit your souvenirs in or do you have to enter a weight for the box when it's packed? I'd love any information on this so I can get some labels and/or boxes to bring with us before we leave. Thanks!!
Old 10-20-2010, 02:32 AM   #2
Mickeyflower
I find that The Dis is my happy place many times

Go to your neighborhood UPS store they should be able to help you. I think USPS also standard size boxes that you can prepay and ship.
Mickeyflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

The USPS has standard flat rate shipping boxes for which you can pre-purchase the postage. As long as it fits in the box and does not distort the shape of the box, it will be covered by the flat rate you paid, up to some ridiculously heavy weight. (I want to say 70lbs)
Old 10-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

Does UPS supply the boxes as well (for a cost, I'm sure) ...this could be something to look into before the cruise....

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran

UPS, FEDX and USPS all have boxes.

The USPS are like Todd said a standard flat rate - be sure to get them at a post office and you can ask the postmaster while your buying your stamps about the cost.

We are lucky enough to have both FEDX and UPS accounts at work (DUH is a partner, so we're allowed). We just bring labels and a box and as long as we have the Account number on the label, we're good to go.

I don't know how prepaying would work.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
mjaclyn
Currently in Wonderland

Just went to the post office and UPS. Neither of them offer a prepaid service. I was able to pick up two flat rate boxes at the post office but the person said I still need to take it to an actual post office location in order to pay for it and ship it. She said they are legally required to ask if there is anything hazardous, liquid, etc in the box before shipment and it also has to be dated so there is no way to actually prepay for it. Is there a post office anywhere on Disney property where I could take the flat rate boxes to ship them? We won't have a car so I'd have to be able to get there using Disney transportation.
mjaclyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran

I know there's a business center at the Swan.

I bet Todd knows the answer, or maybe this is an Ask John question.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadlois View Post
I know there's a business center at the Swan.

I bet Todd knows the answer, or maybe this is an Ask John question.
I know there is one in the Dolphin, as I used it to ship a package home after PCC 1.0.

You are supposed to declare all shipments over 16 ounces as safe (not liquid, flammable, fragile, or perishable) before the USPS will accept the package.
So even if you bought a high value stamp (not a metered strip) you are supposed to still declare to the USPS agent that there is nothing hazardous, flammable, fragile, or perishable in your package before it would be processed and sent into the mail system. Leaving a box 12"x12"x5½" with postage on a counter would probably cause a stir, if not something more dramatic, like call in the Sheriff's Department or bomb squad.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran

So really, there's no way to use the USPS to ship packages back home. It was probably the Dolphin we used then, when we UPS'd a package back home, but again we have an account to use. Maybe a call to the business center at the Dolphin would provide an answer. Can someone local call them for the rest of us because I'm sure they don't have an 800 number. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
mjaclyn
Currently in Wonderland

If none of this works then what was Pete talking about when he said he brought prepaid labels to California?
Old 10-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
kaligal
DIS Veteran

I've shipped stuff out of the hotels using UPS and the USPS. No cops, no bomb squad, lol.

The hotels will give you the supplies and make the shipping arrangements, but they charge an arm and a leg.

You can use those USPS flat-rate boxes, but unless you're shipping heavy stuff all the way across the country, UPS will be cheaper.

You can also just tell the store clerk to ship your stuff home when you're buying it. Might be the easiest way of all. And Disney packs that stuff very, very well.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #12
SamSam

DIS Veteran

If you have an account with FedEX, you can print out a shipping label before you leave based on your best estimates of weight and size of box, if either is different when it's shipped you will be billed the correct amount. I believe you can do the same thing for UPS.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Yup, If you have a UPS account and pre-print a shipping label with the estimates, you can slap it on a box back at the hotel to ship out. If the box weighs more or is significantly larger than your estimate, UPS will automatically "weight correct" the box while in transit and just charge the adjusted charges to your account.

Another possibility if you have access to a computer and printer (business center at the hotel? or even back home) is to just go to UPS.com or fedex.com where you can print out the label which you can slap on a box. Your local UPS store will usually have those clear packing label pouches which you could put your printed shipping label in and attach to the box. You could see about getting one before you leave for your trip.

With UPS (and I'll assume Fedex, but can't guarentee it), you can usually just drop your box off at any location which UPS already makes a daily pick-up/delivery and have them give it to the driver to ship it out. Places like Office Depot, Staples, UPS Stores, etc, can take your prepared and shipping labeled package and just give it to the driver on their daily pickup. Hotels will sometimes do the same thing, but I'd recommend checking with them to be sure if they can give it to the driver when they see them.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: