Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
SplashMom
I have a whole new perspective on life!
We are all Disney fanatics

Daytona 500

We are planning our trip in February and realized that the Daytona 500 race will take place while we are there. We are seriously considering attending and I'm wondering if anyone else has gone? If so, did you stay in Daytona (and where) or did you drive from Orlando? If you drove, how is the parking/traffic?
April/May 2007 Pop Century / March 2008 POR / April/May 2009 Caribbean Beach / March 2010 POFQ / August 2010 Pop Century / February 2011 Port Orleans Riverside / February 2012 Port Orleans Riverside / March 2013 AKL Kidani Village and our first cruise on the Disney Dream / May 2013 Aulani...Paradise!/ March 2014 Dream Cruise...Bay Lake Tower/ March 2015 Beach Club and Western Caribbean Cruise!!
SplashMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

We did the 500 in 2009. We stayed at WDW the week before and just left that morning and went to the track. However... I did look into getting a room in Daytona. The prices are UNBELIEVABLE and they make you stay a certain amount of days. Atleast all the hotels I checked. I would highly recommend staying in Orlando or somewhere a little off the Daytona beaten path. Getting to Daytona was smooth sailing. I4 was moving right along. We did get there early, and parked across the street from the track for $40. It was a little shopping center. After the race we were right there and easily got on I95 to head north.
Its a great time!! Just dont stay in Daytona
LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
TheMorgans
Mouseketeer

We did this in 2010. We stayed in Orlando and drove to Daytona for the race.

The traffic was beyond horrible!!! Once you are off of the interstate it is a parking lot. About a block every 15-20 minutes. We paid $50 to park across from the track in the shopping mall's parking lot.

After saying all of that... We LOVED it. I am NOT at all a NASCAR fan and I even loved it!! If it is something you think your family would enjoy by all means go for it!!

TheMorgans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

Glad I went in 2009 lol!
LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Oglet
DIS Veteran

Depending on where your seats for the race are there are free parking options. If your on the back stretch there is a huge field behind the airport that they allow you to park in and then run school buses to the track. There are also plenty of places to park if your not on the back stretch, I've just never used them so I don't really know too much about it.

I'd highly suggest staying out of the Daytona are however your going to have to be a bit of a drive away to escape the crazy hotel prices, even around the Orlando area prices will go up a bit but nothing compared to anything near the track.

If you decide to stay in Daytona check with any hotel your considering staying at and see if they have shuttle access from their hotel directly to the track, I've never used that method either so don't know too much about it however quite a few people do.

Daytona 500, Bike Week, July Race and Biketober are the main reasons we moved out of Volusia County... Its just too crazy to do anything there around those times of the year.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

I don't go to the races, but I do drive up to my sister's area, Palm Coast during the races.. traffic is horrible.. both going and coming. It is horrible on 4 and horrible on 95...both roads leading to the Daytona Speedway..
My sister's husband goes, but they live 25 minutes from there.. so there are no hotel's involved for the. ...
Old 10-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
SplashMom

Thanks for the advice everyone! After checking some prices, I agree that we may stay in Orlando (Daytona seems very expensive for lower quality). I would love to just stay at Disney and go for the day...I wonder if there are any shuttles or buses that go to the race from close by? We will be in Florida for 11 nights and I would prefer not to have to change hotels if possible. On the other hand, it would be convenient to be close enough to not have to deal with the traffic. Hmmm...we'll have to consider it a bit more before making a decision.
April/May 2007 Pop Century / March 2008 POR / April/May 2009 Caribbean Beach / March 2010 POFQ / August 2010 Pop Century / February 2011 Port Orleans Riverside / February 2012 Port Orleans Riverside / March 2013 AKL Kidani Village and our first cruise on the Disney Dream / May 2013 Aulani...Paradise!/ March 2014 Dream Cruise...Bay Lake Tower/ March 2015 Beach Club and Western Caribbean Cruise!!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
Dizfan4life
DIS Veteran

As a fellow NASCAR race fan.... we've been to several races, including Daytona - normally we camp at an onsite "field" when we go to the races. When we were at WDW we attended the race and stayed in Orlando. We left in the early morning and made a LONG day at the track and then drove back I think it took us an hour or more. When we go to Bristol someone in the office told me once the schedule is released hotel prices skyrocket!
Old 10-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
CarmenPeteron
Mouseketeer

FYI on tickets. We were able to get half price ticket on ebay. The seats were in the NEXTEL tower right by the start/finish line. Attendance is down so it is much easier to get great seats at discounted prices.
CarmenPeteron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
SplashMom

Sooo...we got free dining at POR so we are going to stay at Disney!! We are, however, still going to go to the race. We will leave early in the morning and drive. Now, we have to get tickets. Without paying a ridiculous price, we are looking at Lockhart Tower. Anyone know if those would be good seats? I have read that the tower seats are best but these seats are $130 and I don't want to pay much more than that. None of us are racing fans but we love to be in the middle of something exciting. Any seat suggestions?
Old 11-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #11
Luvamouse
DIS Veteran

Splashmom- Our Daytona 500 tickets arrived in the mail on Monday!! We are staying in Palmcoast (?) and I got a 1 might room ressie the day after the hotel opened the window to reserve. 2 weeks later it was a 4 night minimum! We are driving to the track around 6 a.m., and when the race is over we drive to the Poly. We have been to many races, so we realize the traffic getting out of town may be bad, but it's worth it. We'll be in the MK that night!!

As far as the seats-- there are many 'view' options on the speedway's website. You can get a virtual view. I do not care for the Tower seats as I hate the walk down steep stairs-- big chicken. We have box seats-- one section down in Seagrave. So go to the seating part of the speedway's site and see how you can get a good idea of your view. I think Lockhart is good because you can see the cars coming toward you, rather than going away.
February 2011--Back to the Poly says the Birthday Girl! Daytona 500 and WDW for DD's 16th B-Day
February 2012- Couldn't resist! Daytona 500 and Contemporary MK View. Scratch that-- Back to the Poly Again!

January 2013... Somebody stop me! DD's 1st Year in College, let's keep our life "normal" and go to WDW! Poly Again? I'd love to try POR... Looks like CR MK View. Nope, now it's GF Lagoon View!

Luvamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #12
blondietink
DIS Veteran

We would love to go to the Daytona 500 someday. We stopped at the track in August and it was all torn up, dirt everywhere, as they were reebuilding the whole thing. It would be great to see a race on the new track. Alas, next year we will be on a cruise that week () instead. Have a great time!
Old 11-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #13
SplashMom

Well, we bought our tickets but we went for a bit more money. We have seats in Roberts Box--looks like a good view from the website. We are very excited! Hopefully, we will receive our tickets soon as well. We are going to stay at Port Orleans Riverside and just drive early on the day of the race. I know the traffic will be crazy but as long as we are patient, I hope things will be fine. Now I'll have to research a little about Nascar racing, lol!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #14
Dizfan4life
DIS Veteran

Just a tip for ya. For food, beer, and pop.... the prices at the tracks are ridiculous. We always take a small cooler (six pack size) per person and make sandwiches, snacks, and we bring in our own pop. Make sure your food and beverages don't come in glass containers - they won't allow it. Also, make sure you take a pair of binoculars along and check into scanner rentals, if you don't own a pair . Don't forget to bring "butt pads" along 'cuz the metal bleachers or seats can get a little uncomfortable after sitting for a long time. Have a great time... you will LOVE the action!
Old 11-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #15
Luvamouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizfan4life View Post
Just a tip for ya. For food, beer, and pop.... the prices at the tracks are ridiculous. We always take a small cooler (six pack size) per person and make sandwiches, snacks, and we bring in our own pop. Make sure your food and beverages don't come in glass containers - they won't allow it. Also, make sure you take a pair of binoculars along and check into scanner rentals, if you don't own a pair . Don't forget to bring "butt pads" along 'cuz the metal bleachers or seats can get a little uncomfortable after sitting for a long time. Have a great time... you will LOVE the action!
They just upgraded the cooler size!! You can bring a 14x14x14 size in now-- softsided only, but still a great improvement. The food/beverage tip is so important at races!

Splashmom-- you will love those seats! We are in the Segrave section-- farther from the S/F line than you--right where pit road comes out. You'll love the race. Tim McGraw is the opening act this year Nascar USA-- indoor theme park-ish thing is really nice, but probably insane on race day. We will be driving down from Rhode Island when the girls get out of school on Thursday and staying a bit north of Daytona Saturday night. We'd have done what you are doing if the race was at the end of the trip, so instead we'll get to WDW that night. So excited to find someone else here doing the same thing !!
February 2011--Back to the Poly says the Birthday Girl! Daytona 500 and WDW for DD's 16th B-Day
February 2012- Couldn't resist! Daytona 500 and Contemporary MK View. Scratch that-- Back to the Poly Again!

January 2013... Somebody stop me! DD's 1st Year in College, let's keep our life "normal" and go to WDW! Poly Again? I'd love to try POR... Looks like CR MK View. Nope, now it's GF Lagoon View!

Luvamouse is offline   Reply With Quote