Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #211
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Day 1 - 12/31/10 Cont.

So we had just finished up our lunches and decided that we were going to head back to the resort and relax. That four hours of sleep was really catching up with me now, and dad couldn't agree more.

We decided that we would take naps until around dinner time, eat at the resort, and then head back out to DHS. Then we would be able to use our fastpasses for Rockin' Roller Coaster and do a few other things. Sounded like a plan to me.

The weather had warmed up really nicely at this point, so I also knew that dad wanted to change into shorts before heading back out. We were back at the resort by 1pm. I started typing up details for the trip report, but I started getting really tired. But who cares, this is vacation, right? Dad fell asleep right away and I was shortly behind him. However, the nap was very much needed and I felt very refreshed afterwards.

We got up and freshened up and then headed to Everything POP for dinner at about 5:45pm.

My dinner. So yummy!

Dad's dinner. He loves this chicken noodle soup from Everything POP.

The yeti was in a food coma.....

We finished eating at about 6:15pm and were on our way. We made it back to Hollywood Studios by about 6:45ish.

The first thing we did was head over to Rockin' Roller Coaster to use our fastpasses. I love that even when you're a little bit late, you can still use them.

The wait only took about 15 minutes with our fastpasses. I wore my Aerosmith shirt knowing that I would be going on this ride. Had to my homage. LOL.

After that, we were discussing what our plan for the night was going to be. When we were heading over to RRC, everyone was lining up for the second showing of Fantasmic!, and the wait time for ToT was only listed as 30 minutes. When we got off of Rockin' Roller Coaster, the wait time for ToT had increased to 55 minutes. However, we wanted to ride it again, so dad and I decided just to wait. Where else were we going to go?

We ended up in line with a man and his 16 year old daughter, and spent the wait time talking with each other. They were there for a soccer tournament, and were enjoying the parks after the tournaments were done.

We chatted all the way through the line, and it really helped the line go by fast. However, we still didn't have to wait 55 minutes, it was more like 30. The wait was even shorter then it had been in the morning. We parted ways with them after the ride.

Our redneck ride photo. I was passed out in the back.

After our terrifying elevator ride, we decided to head over to TSM to check it out. I figured it was going to be crazy, but I figured we were heading over there anyway, so we would check it out. OMG, it was really crazy! The wait time was up to 180 minutes!

Um, no thanks. Not waiting three hours! I was okay with the fact we had gotten on our two rides that morning.

Dad and I discussed what our next steps would be. Let me tell you, the crowds for New Year's were already getting crazy. For those who don't know, this time of year is crazy. When the crowds get to their fullest, it's literally shoulder to shoulder in the parks. Dad is not a huge fan of New Year's as a holiday. The reason behind that is because he was a cop for 25 years. He's seen too many people do stupid things on New Years, and he prefers to just treat it like every other day. I respect that completely, and I could care less what we did. I knew I wanted to go to morning magic hours in the Animal Kingdom the next day. My theory was, that everyone would have been hung over and still asleep from the night before, so the park would be empty. I really wanted to make it.

So, we decided that since we had done everything we really wanted to at DHS, we would head back to the resort. However, on our way out, I wanted to get a snack.

The peanut butter chocolate cupcake from Starring Rolls cafe! I'd never had this before, but it was so good! It was so big, I had to eat it in two helpings!

We were on a bus by about 9pm. I wanted to be able to take a shower when I got back to the room and do my hair for the morning. I hopped in the shower right away and dad grabbed our mugs and went to the food court to fill them. Thanks Dad!

By the way, the cupcake was totally worth it! I suggest it to anyone who likes chocolate and peanut butter!

Up next: Animal Kingdom.....is my prediction accurate about the crowds?
Old 02-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #212
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

nice update!! Did you see any fireworks that night? I hear they are pretty good on NYE. I went to a party the year I lived there so we were closer to Sea World but we could hear fireworks all around us at the party!

The cupcake looked yummo!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #213
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellLuvr7 View Post
nice update!! Did you see any fireworks that night? I hear they are pretty good on NYE. I went to a party the year I lived there so we were closer to Sea World but we could hear fireworks all around us at the party!

The cupcake looked yummo!
We didn't stay to watch any fireworks that night, just because there were so many people, but we were able to watch them from POP. Not the best view, but defo better than standing shoulder to shoulder with people.

We're going back next year for New Year's, so we're definitely planning on seeing them this time around, because we'll be going for an entire week instead of just a few days.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #214
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

Am glad the lines weren't as bad as they were listed and you got to ride RnRC and ToT!!

Love the Christmas Tree picture and that Starring Roll cupcake is yummy!! Can't wait to try one on our trip

Am hoping your prediction was right and AK was empty the following morning...look forward to finding out. Have noticed you have started a Feb TR so am heading over to subsribe and read!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #215
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzUnited99 View Post
Am glad the lines weren't as bad as they were listed and you got to ride RnRC and ToT!!

Love the Christmas Tree picture and that Starring Roll cupcake is yummy!! Can't wait to try one on our trip

Am hoping your prediction was right and AK was empty the following morning...look forward to finding out. Have noticed you have started a Feb TR so am heading over to subsribe and read!
I was glad the lines were decent too. Definitely different than I anticipated.

Defo get the cupcake! However, I have heard that they can run out of them, so if you don't get one, check back again another day!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #216
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

OMG 180 minutes for TSM???? That's crazy!

That cupcake looks amazing, I'm so getting one in October!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 02-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #217
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
OMG 180 minutes for TSM???? That's crazy!

That cupcake looks amazing, I'm so getting one in October!
Yeah. I was like NO WAY!
Old 03-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #218
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Day 2 - Saturday January 1, 2011

So we left off last wondering if my prediction about the crowd levels would be right at the Animal Kingdom.

I was able to wake up before the alarm went off (by two minutes). Good timing. Much better than being scared awake by an alarm! I was up and out of bed by 6:13am. I washed up and woke dad up right after I was done. We were both ready to go by about 6:45am. We watched the weather channel to see what was up for the day. Plus, I had learned from my mistake the day before, which was that all the windows don't serve breakfast until 7am. I wanted a different variety this morning.

We made it to the food court right at 7am, and there was nary a person there. Woo hoo!

I opted for...

The breakfast wrap with potatoes.

Dad opted for...

The breakfast platter. This is his favorite breakfast....

We were done and ready to go by 7:30am, so we were right on track to get to the Animal Kingdom when they opened at 8am.

We didn't have to wait for too long before the bus came. Good timing that we've had in general with buses.

There weren't any people there. Well, there was a crane....

See how empty? My prediction was right!!!

I got some great pictures though. I've never gotten pictures like this before at Animal Kingdom. There's normally people in them!

Our first stop...

At first we were going to get fastpasses and hop in line, but there were absolutely no people there. The ride wasn't quite open yet, so we had to wait about a minute. It was walk on, so we opted out of fastpasses.

Little Yeti was pretty excited.

We made it to our transport

I made sure little Yeti was strapped in.

We were on our way

Dad was pretty excited!

So was I!

Great views

We had a great time, and when we got off the ride, the line was still a walk on, so we decided to go for another spin. Good choice! It was such a great way to start the day. We grabbed fastpasses, just so we could have them in case we wanted to use them later.

Continued in next post....
Old 03-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #219
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Day 2 - Saturday January 1, 2011 cont.

So we had just finished our two rides at Expedition Everest, and Dad wanted to head over the Primeval Whirl. Dad likes this ride, and we figured what better time because there was no one here.

We ended up getting a car to ourselves.

Dad was very excited.

Me.....not so much. I remembered that I don't really like Primeval Whirl too much....

I secured the Yeti

And we were on our way

We got bounced and jostled all over the place. I was joking around the whole time and screaming that I was getting too old for this crap.

After that, it was time for.....

Again, there was no line or wait (although there normally isn't). I find myself in a category all my own, because I just love Dinosaur. "We're not gonna make it, we're not gonna make it!" I just love it. Maybe it's the ride and the vehicle more than the actual effects guess.

So after this started the conversation that seems to happen on all trips....

"What do you want to do?"

"I don't know, what do you want to do?"

"I don't know..."

This always seems to happen to me at Animal Kingdom. It's the park I tend to spend the least amount of time at. While beautiful, there just isn't as much to keep my interest for an entire day.

We had gotten all of these things done.....in less than an hour! It wasn't even 9am yet. Morning magic hours are so worth it, and getting up early on New Year's Day is so worth it too!

So I visited my handy dandy crowd calendar app, and the only park to avoid was the Magic Kingdom. So, we decided to go back to Hollywood Studios. I still wanted to get some more action on Toy Story Mania.

So we headed out.

We still had our fastpasses for Expedition Everest, so I figured we would find a couple on the way out to give them to. We had a few photopass pictures taken, and on the way we saw a couple, so I gave them our fastpasses. They were very grateful. We made it to the DHS bus stop and the bus pulled up shortly after. Our bus mojo continues!

By the time we got to DHS, it was about 9:30am. The masses had already gotten into the park, so I was interested to see what it was going to look like over there. The first mission was obviously to go to TSM and see if we could pull a double whammy again of waiting in line and getting fastpasses. There was no line for the fastpasses and we got a return time of 12:55pm. We headed over to the ride, which had a posted wait time of 50 minutes. We waited 15 (no joke).

Obligatory pictures.

Our scores. I'm on the left.

I got best in vehicle

Dad was not happy with his score.

I was a little disappointed.

I really really wanted to crack 200,000 this time. I've only done it once before and I have not been able to do it again. Alas, it obviously wasn't in the cards.

After we were done, Dad needed a potty break, and I needed a frozen coke break.

The green army men came out while I was waiting. These guys are too funny!

He was imitating Justin Bieber.

He was imitating Strawberry Shortcake.

Up next: Where would the day take us?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #220
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

Wow on how empty AK was...there was hardly anyone there! The pictures look great. Can't believe how much you got done within an hour

Yay on riding TSM again - I would have been happy with the score you got (especially getting best in vehicle) but am not as competitive

The green army man imitating Justin Beiber had me
Old 03-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #221
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzUnited99 View Post
Wow on how empty AK was...there was hardly anyone there! The pictures look great. Can't believe how much you got done within an hour

Yay on riding TSM again - I would have been happy with the score you got (especially getting best in vehicle) but am not as competitive

The green army man imitating Justin Beiber had me
Ha ha, yeah, I just tend to be a little on the competitive side. I'm more competitive with myself more than anything else.

The army men were priceless. So awesome!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #222
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Day 2 - Saturday January 1, 2011 cont.

I was thoroughly refreshed from my frozen coke break, and I was ready to go. We wandered slowly around and headed over to Sunset Blvd. There were not too many crowds and the wait times weren't too bad yet. We hopped in line for RnRC.

As soon as we hopped in line, there was a delay and everyone hopped out. Silly mortals.

Having worked at Six Flags for ironically six years, I know full well that you should always wait for a while before you decide to bail. It's really amazing to me how impatient people are, because when the announcement was made, so many people bailed out that we got almost all of the way into the building. It was only 10 minutes and the ride was running again.

Interesting thing happened here. When we headed into the room to "see" Aerosmith, the two cast members that were in there were joking around the entire time and talking on the microphone over the pre-show. Not to be boring or anything, but when I was a supervisor at Six Flags in the rides department, this wouldn't have been tolerated. I told my dad if I was their sup, I would have written them up for microphone abuse. I feel even stronger about this though in Disney, because the pre-show is part of the ride experience, especially for people that have never been on the ride before. I think it takes away some of the magic. I wasn't going to complain to someone about it, but I certainly hope that they get talked to about it. I feel very strongly about customer service, and especially the image that Disney represents. I know teenagers can be teenagers, but they have a reputation and a brand to uphold. Sorry, rant over....

When we got into the alleyway, we were assigned to our car. There was another delay here, and for about 10 minutes they were cycling empty trains around the track. Not sure why, but it wasn't for long, and we were on the ride shortly after that.

After the concert, we headed back over to....

The wait time for ToT was posted at 40 minutes, but we'd had good luck so far. The wait time wasn't too bad, until we got into the boiler room. They were completely overloaded and it took us a very long time to get an elevator. I don't know where the delay was, but this time alone pushed our wait time up to about 40 minutes.

I hate it when this stuff happens. My dad and I got separated in the boiler room because people insist on being so pushy and thinking that getting 2 feet in front of their location is going to help them. Again, I totally do not understand why people are so impatient! He waited for me to the side and I caught up.

After that, we slowly started walking over to TSM to use our fastpasses, but still had some time to kill.

We saw some of the street characters. They were too funny! What an awesome job to have. Disney, if you're hiring, I could be obnoxious and funny! Seriously!

We decided to catch Muppetvision to eat up some time.

Still love it! I totally watched the Muppets Take Manhattan the other day, because I love them!

Once the movie was over, it was time for our fastpasses at TSM.

Again, I didn't break 200,000. Shoot!

But I was best in vehicle again.

However, I decided that my arm was done!

By this time, we were really hungry. Dad wanted to head back to the hotel because his stomach was a little upset. We figured that night we would head Downtown. We got back and Dad relaxed briefly and took some tums. Then we headed to lunch at Everything POP. It was late, like 2pm, so I'd consider more like linner I guess.

I had the cheesesteak wrap and worms and dirt

Dad had lo mein and a salad

Everything was good as usual.

They had some great gingerbread houses in Everything POP that were all made by castmembers.

After that, we headed Downtown for some light shopping. Mom had told dad she wanted to get me a Dooney and Bourke, but honestly, I didn't want them to spend the money on it. I like them, but not enough for that.

We decided later that we wanted to go see a movie, and True Grit was playing at 4:55pm. We walked slowly from Marketplace to West Side. On the way we went to TrenD, World of Disney, D-Street, and Miss-Matched. I bought a few things (no pictures, sorry!). Mostly Vinylmation, arm warmers, and some 40th anniversary things. Characters in Flight was closed due to wind speeds (shocker!), so that kind of blew that plan.

We stopped at the Candy Cauldron and got some jellybeans and english toffee. We people watched for a while and had a great conversation with a guy from Australia who was visiting with his family for three weeks. He said they made about four stops on the plane ride over, so they were having a difficult time getting on the time zone. He said it was their second full day, but he was still lagged. I told him I understood, because I experienced the same thing when we went to Paris. It's rough.

We then headed into the movie. We picked up Dad's popcorn, because he definitely can't see a movie without it, and some drinks. We ended up going to the wrong auditorium, because the lady up front sold us tickets for Little Fockers instead. Weird. True Grit, Little Fockers. Does that sound the same? I found the theater though.

The movie was good, for anyone who hasn't seen it. One thing completely shocked me at the theater, and I was so shocked I couldn't even take a picture, also because I thought it was wildly inappropriate. There was a girl there who couldn't have been more then 12. She was wearing a see through lace crop top, a bra (more like a bralet, because let's face it, she wasn't even 12), and black, knee high, stiletto boots. It was so inappropriate. She seriously looked like a little....well, I'm not even going to say it. If a grown person was wearing what she was, I would have thought it a little much FOR THE MOVIES! Add the fact she was young? Just wrong.

After we left, we were discussing eating, but had gotten so filled up on candy and popcorn. We just headed back to the hotel. I felt like we had gotten a lot of things accomplished without running ourselves ragged. No more commando for me!

So, we ended our second day nicely.

Up Next: Magic Kingdom! Finally!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #223
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

great updates!!!!!

I can't believe how dead AK was! AM EMH are give and take there depending on what you do. If you do safari and EE you pretty much blow your EMH but your plan of attack was awesome! The park is so big that if you did Safari and EE it would eat up your time! I prolly would have done the same thing and then went to Safari right at 9 when the other guests were being let in!

Your food at POP looked yummy!!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #224
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellLuvr7 View Post
great updates!!!!!

I can't believe how dead AK was! AM EMH are give and take there depending on what you do. If you do safari and EE you pretty much blow your EMH but your plan of attack was awesome! The park is so big that if you did Safari and EE it would eat up your time! I prolly would have done the same thing and then went to Safari right at 9 when the other guests were being let in!

Your food at POP looked yummy!!!!
I have absolutely no idea why we didn't do the safari....I think maybe I had TSM on the brain.

I love the food at POP. They have such a great variety. No one else has the philly cheesesteak wrap, but it's definitely one of my favorites.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #225
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

Those people leaving RnR coaster sure were impatient. on the cast members ruining the Aerosmith pre show - that would have totally spoiled it for all of you but especially those experiencing it for the first time.

Hope you manage to break the 200,000 mark soon.

Love the gingerbread house pics at Pop - have not seen them before. Sounds like you had a great time at DTD, apart from the shock at the pictures!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: