Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #181
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Departure Day and Parting thoughts

So, we had to get up at the ungodly hour of 3:30am to make it to ME by 4:15am. Ugh. This was the most painful thing of my life. This was where I made the decision that I will never leave Disney that early in the morning again. Because of the three hours needed by ME, it just made it very hard.

The trip to the airport was quick and painless. Fortunately, the airport wasn't too crowded yet. There was a pretty decent line at TSA, but by no means was it out of control. We got through pretty quickly. Airports are always a source of humor for me, because it amazes me how unaware people are about regulations sometimes. There was this guy in line next to us that was like "they don't need to see my drivers license, just my boarding pass" (wrong), "I don't need to take my shoes off" (wrong again), and it just went on. He kept telling these things to his wife like he was the authority or something. It's funny, because his wife was telling him the opposite of everything he was saying, and she was right. But he kept brushing her off like she was stupid or something.

I just try to be the kind of person who is prepared.

We made it through and got bagel sandwiches from Au Bon Pain, and coffee from Starbucks. Everything was very good. We were in boarding group A again. Our plan this time was to go all the way to the back of the plane. I sat by the window and mom sat by the aisle. It worked out in our favor, because people only started going to the back of the plane when there was no more room up front. Score!

This was much better for mom since she was getting elbowed so much on the trip out. We landed 20 minutes early, and dad was at the airport waiting for us. It was nice to see him, and we were happy to be at home. It's always bittersweet. I'm happy to be home, but sad to leave Disney. I guess all that means is that I have to make Disney my home.

Parting thoughts:

I really like having photopass this time, and it was the first time on several years that we've done it. The prepaid option was really nice.

The quick service dining plan really does give you a lot of food, and I think it's a great option when you're going during a time of year that tends to be very busy.

Always eat at odd times of day. We never had any major crowds at any restaurants because of this.

Eat at Tangierine Cafe again. Yummo!

A short trip was better then I thought it would be. I think I learned that Disney is great no matter the length of time you are there.

POP is a very nice resort, and a great option when you want to get a room on a budget (or when, in our case, we aren't going to use DVC).

Going on trips with just mom is always lots of fun!

Thanks everyone for joining me on this trip! Stay tuned in this thread, and I will start my New Year's TR.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #182
Lovemy3babes
Is always in need to get herself and her children back to our "Happy Place"!

Wow, they are some real strange people out there, aren't there? I am not a huge ethnic food person at all. Therefore, I don't go to places that serve that kind of food. Easy enough, right? You think people would get that. Go order your cheeseburger or pizza somewhere else and quit holding up the line for others. lol!!

The caramel story is hilarious. I love deadpan humor like that!

Your Mexican food looks delicious!! That's CS, right? We ate Mexico CS in Dec '09 and it was not good at all. It looks like it definitely improved! Yum.

Cute new shirt you bought!

Just me and my girl…a very special 13th Birthday trip!
(updated 2/20/14)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #183
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Great updates! I had that blue margarita when I was there, it's SO good, but strong!

Looking at your pics of the Beach Club make me sad, I want to stay there again!!!

I love that Snow White shirt and the Minnie hoodie!

OMG I cannot wait to go back to the caramel shop! I'm seriously getting like 5 things and substituting caramel for lunch or dinner, there's just so much to pick from!

I have a feeling Brandon would love Tangerine Cafe but me? Not so much! I'm not a very adventurous eater!

Your TR was great, can't wait to read about New Year's!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 01-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #184
DVCWDWMEMBER
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post

Parting thoughts:

Going on trips with just mom is always lots of fun!

Thanks everyone for joining me on this trip! Stay tuned in this thread, and I will start my New Year's TR.
I always have a great time on vacation with you too. Thanks for the awesome time.
6/85 Offsite:12/86 DI: 8/88, 1/98, 5/00 DLR- Offsite:12/91 CR: 11/93 FWC: 1/99 POFQ: 9/99 CSR:01/02 CB/PR: 01/03 BCV: 12/03 DCL/BCV:10/04, 10/08 SSR: 05/05 PR: 01/06 WL: 05/06 GC-DLR: 11/06 POFQ: 02/07 DLH-DLR:11/07 BWV/POR: 05/08 OKW/VB: 05/09 AK/VB:10/09 GF:09/10 Disneyland Paris :11/10 POP: 07/11 BLT: 9/11 OKW: 6/12 Disneyland Paris : 7/13 WL,SSR-THV,AK :1/14 SSR:5/14 BC :11/14 WL: 2/15 AK: 8/15 DLH

Old 01-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #185
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Great updates! I had that blue margarita when I was there, it's SO good, but strong!

Looking at your pics of the Beach Club make me sad, I want to stay there again!!!

I love that Snow White shirt and the Minnie hoodie!

OMG I cannot wait to go back to the caramel shop! I'm seriously getting like 5 things and substituting caramel for lunch or dinner, there's just so much to pick from!

I have a feeling Brandon would love Tangerine Cafe but me? Not so much! I'm not a very adventurous eater!

Your TR was great, can't wait to read about New Year's!
Thanks! It was a lot of fun to write, and I'm looking forward to writing about New Year's. However, I have to admit, I take too many notes. I always bring my lap top with, and type things up as I go. Thanksgiving, I typed 20 pages! I talk too much......

I would absolutely love to substitute caramel for regular food. But I would like to substitute dessert for anything!

Tangierine Cafe is not as ethnic as you would think. The meat is like gyro meat. Very tasty, nothing over spiced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3babes View Post
Wow, they are some real strange people out there, aren't there? I am not a huge ethnic food person at all. Therefore, I don't go to places that serve that kind of food. Easy enough, right? You think people would get that. Go order your cheeseburger or pizza somewhere else and quit holding up the line for others. lol!!

The caramel story is hilarious. I love deadpan humor like that!

Your Mexican food looks delicious!! That's CS, right? We ate Mexico CS in Dec '09 and it was not good at all. It looks like it definitely improved! Yum.

Cute new shirt you bought!
Yup, Mexico is the new counter service. The food was really good. Definitely much better then it used to be.

I'm so with you on the food thing. If you know everyone is not going to enjoy it, then go get something you know they will. Maybe I'm too simplistic.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCWDWMEMBER View Post
I always have a great time on vacation with you too. Thanks for the awesome time.
Thanks mom!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #186
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

I loved the report! I think it's so great that you and your mom get to enjoy Disney together. When I was younger I always went with my grandparents, and I'm hoping that sometime soon, Miguel and I can take a trip with them again.

I can't wait for the New Year's report!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #187
DisneyDreamerMom
Mouseketeer

Great report! I know its sad to go home but at least you have another one coming up soon to look forward to.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #188
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE View Post
I loved the report! I think it's so great that you and your mom get to enjoy Disney together. When I was younger I always went with my grandparents, and I'm hoping that sometime soon, Miguel and I can take a trip with them again.

I can't wait for the New Year's report!
Thanks! I'm getting started on New Year's right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamerMom View Post
Great report! I know its sad to go home but at least you have another one coming up soon to look forward to.
I always keep my upcoming trips in mind, no matter how far away they are.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #189
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Let's Get This Show on the Road!!! Dec. 30th

All right, now it's on to the New Year's TR! Woo hoo! Sorry it's been a little while for me. I had a business trip that took up a lot of my time, and another weekend I was out of town, so I just haven't had any time. So here I am!

I started this trip the way I start most trips.....I went into work earlier than normal. When I fly during the week, I always take a later flight and work the early shift. So I had to be to work at 7am. The only thing that keeps me going is the fact that I know at the end of the day, I will be in Disney World!

It was still pretty rough getting up at 5:30am though. I think I was like the walking dead standing in the shower for the first five minutes. I was pretty useless. I think I may have actually fallen asleep for a few minutes.......

Since it was the start of vacation for me (technically), I decided to give myself a little bit of a treat and stop at McDonald's for breakfast. It's a weakness for me. Love their breakfast. I always get the same thing. Egg and Cheese bagel, hash brown, and a coke. Creature of habit!

I had a few things that I had to get done for sure, so these were first on my list of things to do. I was lucky, because I actually got it all done by 8:15am! I was shocked. But this let me move on to doing other things.

Everyone at work was giving me a hard time that I was going back to WDW again so soon. People just don't understand how I feel about WDW. It's my little bit of magic.

My boss left work at about 11am because of how slow we were due to the holiday. I asked him if it was okay that I left early once I was finished with everything that I had to do. He told me that was fine, so I was pretty happy! I finished with everything at about 12:30pm, so it was out the door for me. I was happy to be able to go home, relax for a bit, and pack the rest of our stuff. I got home at about 1pm. I relaxed for a while and watched an episode of Mad Men online (obsessed!), then packed the rest of our stuff.

Poor Nanook was sad. She doesn't like the sight of luggage, because she thinks we're all leaving her.

Pathetic, right?

Had to take a few because she was cooperating!

I told her not to worry, that mom was going to be staying with her. My dad got there at about 3:40pm. Apparently, he had a really bad day. I felt bad for him. And, to add insult to injury, he forgot the iPod that he had at work with all his music. He only had the one that has video (don't ask. My dad is weird. He doesn't know how to load music or anything for that matter, so I haven't had time to load his new one. He said he wanted to keep music and video separate. Weirdo!).

I had reminded him when I talked to him on the phone earlier not to forget his iPod. Obviously that didn't work. We still had some time though, so I told him I would turn on my laptop really quickly, and put some music on for him. Bless his heart, it shows you how little he knows about how these things work.

Dad: "We don't have time for that! Isn't it going to take you a while?"

Me: "Nope, should only take about 10 minutes."

Dad: "Really????"

I loaded a bunch of music for him, and mom came through the door after finishing her day at work. Perfect timing, because I was just finishing up with his iPod. We pulled my car in the driveway so we could get all the luggage loaded up. Car loaded, I was able to say goodbye to my pup (still looking pathetic), and then headed over to say goodbye to grandma (tradition). We were on the road by about 4:20pm, and made it to Milwaukee airport by about 5pm.

We managed to get pretty decent parking. We picked level three, which is the level all people normally park on, and it said there were only 38 spaces left. I wanted to chance it though, because it's the most convenient level in relation to the terminal. We got our space and headed in. There was only a small line for Southwest, so we checked in quickly and headed up through security. Our plan was identical to the one mom and I had for Thanksgiving. Go through and eat at Johnny Rockets while we waited.

Just like Thanksgiving, there was barely anyone going through security. I have been having really good luck with that lately. Let's hope we can keep the mojo going a little!

We got through security and headed over to Johnny Rockets to eat. This time around I got the chicken club sandwich, and dad got a plain burger with fries. Everything was good as it always is. I bought dinner for us. After that, we headed over to the gate. We met a family that had a flight cancelled out of Midway the day before, and was able to secure the flight out of Milwaukee. They said they were canceling flights because of fog and icy rain. That was strange to me, because I didn't recall any icy rain the day before. Who knows.

This guy was really nice, but man, I thought my dad liked to talk a lot! This guy was striking up conversations with everyone around him. He sat a row behind us on the flight, and this trend continued throughout the entire flight. It was actually pretty funny! We boarded with the A group (early bird!). I have to say for the small fee, I think it's really worth it. You're not spending money on baggage fees, so their rates really are the cheapest, even when you add $20 for early bird.

Dad and I sat in the exit row, and we found something that I had never seen before. Apparently there is a row that has only two seats, because of the space required to open the door in case of emergency. This was awesome, because we had a full flight. They were offering people money and flights before we boarded to give up their seats. We didn't take the offer (obviously), and dad and I loved our seats.

Our flight attendants were really funny on this trip When she was giving the spiel about the oxygen masks, she said "let go of your neighbor's leg, stop screaming, and calmly place the mask over your head." I love morbid humor. As soon as we were able to, I decided to watch a movie on my iPad. Mom and Dad bought it for me for my graduation present, so I wanted to get use out of it! I watched the Proposal. I love Ryan Reynolds!

Dad read The Hunger Games (which I gave to him to read). The flight was very smooth, and I was not plagued with any of the other problems we had on mom's and my flight in November. No armrest stealers, and no kicking, crying children. Very nice!

We landed right on schedule (at 11:15pm), and headed down to baggage. There was a slight delay here, and it seemed to take them some time to get our luggage. It took us a while for ours to come down. There were tons of people in the baggage claim. It seemed like a lot of planes had recently landed. More than I've ever seen that late at night. Anyway, it seemed like no one knew where ME was, because when we got over there, there were no people waiting. Dad and I forgot to get change, so while I waited for our bus to arrive, dad went and got change so we could tip the bus driver at the end of the trip.

We waited awhile here, which seems to be my luck with ME. Not the end of the world, but I was starting to get really tired. Once more people made it over and on the bus we were on our way. It was about 12:30am at this time. We made it to POP first (woo hoo!), and I went to check in while dad grabbed the luggage off the bus. I hit a small snag here, because there were lots of people waiting in line! There were four cast members behind the desk, but most of them seemed to be helping people with very complicated problems. The line just kept getting longer and longer.

I waited about 20 minutes before I was even up to the desk to get checked in. After I made it there, I was excited to see if my room requests cam through. I had heard that with the new system that everything is done by the computer and is no longer completed by individuals. So, I get checked in, got the room keys, and where were we? The exact same room mom and I had in November! The funny thing is that right before I got to check-in, I had thought about how funny it would be if we got the same room. I guess sending nice letters over to the resort really does help you to get your requests.

Dad was excited

We were pretty much done at this time, because it was already 1:30am by the time everything was said and done. I called mom and told her about the room deal, told her we made it okay, and said our I love you's and good nights. Then we unpacked quickly. It was 2am when we crawled into bed, and I wanted to make it to DHS by 8am, which would require getting up at 6:15am! I don't do well on less then 8 hours.......

Up Next: Can I really get up 4 hours after going to bed??????

Last edited by IheartDDuck; 02-20-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #190
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

you started your New Years TR...am excited and looking forward to reading more.

you got up really early but at least you managed to finish work early and you were going to Disney World!

Am glad the flight went ok and you didn't get any kicking etc. on getting the same room at Pop...that was cool!

I hope you managed to make the early start on the next day.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #191
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

yay! I'm glad you started!

It's good that you had a better experience at POP than I did! Did you check for bed bugs?! lol

I never sleep well on the first night no matter which resort I'm at so for me, if I get an hour I'm good and then crash the 2nd night which is fine. Sometimes I have to have a bottle of migraine meds to help me through the day though haha.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #192
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzUnited99 View Post
you started your New Years TR...am excited and looking forward to reading more.

you got up really early but at least you managed to finish work early and you were going to Disney World!

Am glad the flight went ok and you didn't get any kicking etc. on getting the same room at Pop...that was cool!

I hope you managed to make the early start on the next day.
It was really cool that we got the same room. Felt like I was home again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellLuvr7 View Post
yay! I'm glad you started!

It's good that you had a better experience at POP than I did! Did you check for bed bugs?! lol

I never sleep well on the first night no matter which resort I'm at so for me, if I get an hour I'm good and then crash the 2nd night which is fine. Sometimes I have to have a bottle of migraine meds to help me through the day though haha.
Yup, checked for bed bugs.

I never sleep well my first night on vacation either, and you'll find out in my next update, lack of sleep can tend to catch up with you......
Old 01-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #193
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

I'm glad the next TR has started! Your dog is so cute!

I would have had such a hard time making it up the next morning. I'm interested to see how that turned out!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #194
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Yay for your new TR, can't wait to read about this trip!

SO weird that you got the same room at POP!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 02-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #195
Lovemy3babes
Is always in need to get herself and her children back to our "Happy Place"!

Aw, look at your poor sad puppy. What a pretty dog though!! I'm glad you made it safely, though it was late. My last Orlando flight came in that late and I didn't get to bed until 2am. I don't think I will ever do that again. I love that funny picture of your dad!

Just me and my girl…a very special 13th Birthday trip!
(updated 2/20/14)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: