Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
C&G'sMama
DIS Veteran

Disney Store - Meh

So we were in the in the Boston area over the weekend spending Halloween with family. They live in Burlington so we went to the Burlington Mall on the way out of town to go to the Disney Store. We haven't had one in our area in years and thought it would be fun. We were disappointed. We remember the nicely themed stores and some nice merchandise. The store felt like an aisle of a big box store and the merchandise to match. Is that how all the stores are now?

"Those who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music." - Unknown
C&G'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
griswalds
Mouseketeer

Luckily I have 2 within 30 miles of me. The one at the regular mall is very Disneyish--- large characters on the walls, large TV screen playing clips, lots of cool merchandise. Really gives you the 'at Disney' feel. The store at the outlet mall is just that--an outlet. Very industrial feeling, really no decorations around the store, just racks and shelves. Honestly, I have gotten good deals at both in the past.
griswalds is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
MikeinBoston
Stockholder

The Disney Store in the Burlington Mall used to be outstanding, big themed, they had anamatroincs of Disney Characters, for whatever reason they moved into a un-remodeled former sneaker store, and by the looks you can probably tell. Such a disgrace.

Port Orleans French Quarter- 2015
Port Orleans French Quarter- 2013
Port Orleans Riverside- 2009
Saratoga Springs- 2007
MikeinBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Suz725
Mouseketeer

Burlington Disney store isn't any good...most of the good ones in this area closed...braintree is much bigger but has that same feel as Burlington.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

Our brand new Disney Store opened last week. It is the 10th store in the US to open in the "re-imagined" theme.

It is a nice store. There is a magic mirror where you wave a wand and a princess clip plays, a coloring table with paper and crayons in front of a HUGE movie screen that plays clips chosen by a touch screen (the current clip has to finish before another one begins, so the kids can't stop what is playing in the middle and change to a new one), the CM's are all very nice, happy, etc.

The merchandise is HEAVILY skewed towards the girls. There is a little corner for boys to build a race car, a table of adult size T-shirts, a corner of Christmas ornaments. They have some nice coffee mugs, some really cute plush, and 3 different Vinylmation series. Everything else is for girls.

I didn't see anything I wanted to buy, except a set of Nightmare ornaments. And while I LIKE the ornaments I am not falling over myself to own them so I will wait and see if they get marked down.

To be fair, I never bought much at the old Disney Store. I mostly just went in to add money to my gift card. DS is too old for most of that stuff, and I find that their clothes are cut weird. The clothes in the parks are cut weird, too, so I don't buy much there either.
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

jackskellingtonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
zeitzeuge
DallasDisneyDork
Some people NEED to be bitten
Had a little accident in my pants when I found out I was going to Club 33!

I'm wondering if the Burlington store is still the old store type? Like Elizabeth said, they've only redone 10 stores so far. I know that many more are in the works and that there are many old stores still out there.

I liked ours. It will be great for Christmas gifts for Steven's nieces and nephews. We found a few things for ourselves. I hear that they're testing out more adult and park merchandise in the future as well as more collectable things. Like you said, it's heavily girls of course, but was nice to see they had a decent section for boys with all the toy story, Cars and the build your own Racers section too. We'll probably get some ornaments for our Disney tree. We saw a couple that we want.

But overall, I thought the store was beautiful and well done, with nice touches here and there. Especially love all the trees with the video's shown on them.
zeitzeuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
LukenDC
DIS Veteran

The Disney Store at the Tyson's Corner Mall outside of DC is very dated. I am hoping that it gets "re-imagined" in the near future.

I will put up a Disney themed Christmas tree this year with only Disney ornaments. I bought several ornaments when I was at WDW in September. I noticed, however, that the Disney Store ornaments tend to be much nicer than the ornaments sold in the Disney parks. They are more detailed and seem to be of an overall higher quality. They also can be quite heavy for a tree ornament. The Disney Store also has a better selection of Disney character ornaments than the Christmas stores in the parks. The Disney Parks, however, are the best source of glass ornaments.
September 2007 WDW Poly/UO Portofino Bay
September 2008 WDW Poly/UO Hard Rock
December 2008 WDW Coronado Springs
August 2009 Polynesian
September 2009 Yacht Club
September 2010 Polynesian
September 2011 AKL
July 2012 Aulani
October 2012 AKL
September 2013 BWI
LukenDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
zeitzeuge
DallasDisneyDork

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukenDC View Post
The Disney Store at the Tyson's Corner Mall outside of DC is very dated. I am hoping that it gets "re-imagined" in the near future.

I will put up a Disney themed Christmas tree this year with only Disney ornaments. I bought several ornaments when I was at WDW in September. I noticed, however, that the Disney Store ornaments tend to be much nicer than the ornaments sold in the Disney parks. They are more detailed and seem to be of an overall higher quality. They also can be quite heavy for a tree ornament. The Disney Store also has a better selection of Disney character ornaments than the Christmas stores in the parks. The Disney Parks, however, are the best source of glass ornaments.
I noticed that too. If you want great glass ornatments, the parks are your best bet, but if you want the sculptural character ones, the disney store had a great selection. We have probably 100 Disney ornaments, but can't seem to stop buying more!
Old 11-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
koolaidmoms
DIS Veteran

The Burlington Store was bland. It was stark white walls with what looked like white shower curtains with Disney characters covering the upper part of the walls. All the shelves were white, no characters, no movies, nothing.

Even from the front window you would not have known this was a Disney store except it said Disney. It was a white background with a purple landscaped bare tree with snowflakes around it. That does not scream Disney to me.

We will have to try the Braintree store next time we visit Boston. We wanted an antenna topper and wanted to look at music boxes and ornaments. They had no antenna toppers and music boxes and only a small sections of ornaments.

Guess we will just have to make a trip to WDW to do some Disney shopping.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #10
C&G'sMama
DIS Veteran

The first Disney Store I ever went to was in Faneuil Hall in Boston. I remember it being 2 stories and having a Fantasia Theme with the buckets and Sorcerer Mickey. This was well over 20 years ago.

Hopefully the stores JSG and Z are speaking of will make a comeback. There were definitely way too many at one point, but it would be nice if they put a little Disney Magic back in the ones they have.

"Those who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music." - Unknown
C&G'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
wehttamrd
Toriphile

I remember when the Disney Store first opened. They were great. and had great merchandise. Sadly, it somehow turned into a ridiculous toy store. I miss the old disney store!
Old 11-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

The Disney Store has made some mistakes. Selling the retail stores to The Children's Place was a disaster. Now that Disney has ownership back, hopefully things will change for the better. The problem is "You can't please all the people all the time". I could probably go the rest of my life without BUYING anything in the Disney Store. I like it, I just don't need any of that stuff.

Their focus is going to be on the cash cow - Princesses. I doubt there will be much in the way of clearance. I am not sure how much the stock will change. I tend to think there will be SOME new things, but most of it will be replenishing the same items over and over. There is always a fresh crop of little girls who start liking princesses. The same little girls who already like princesses will break, rip, or outgrow their current princess stuff. That profit will never, ever go away.

Niche markets like collectibles, adult clothing, etc. has NOTHING on the princess stuff. And in a store with limited square footage, you put stock out that will sell. These stores aren't like World of Disney with a room dedicated to each type of merchandise.
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

jackskellingtonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #13
zeitzeuge
DallasDisneyDork

Here's a link to Laughing Place, that shows video and pictures of the first new Disney store that opened in Montebello, CA. Gives you an idea of what the new ones look like.

http://www.laughingplace.com/Lotion-View-1065.asp
Old 11-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
wehttamrd
Toriphile

looks the same to me...
Old 11-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #15
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by griswalds View Post
Luckily I have 2 within 30 miles of me. The one at the regular mall is very Disneyish--- large characters on the walls, large TV screen playing clips, lots of cool merchandise. Really gives you the 'at Disney' feel. The store at the outlet mall is just that--an outlet. Very industrial feeling, really no decorations around the store, just racks and shelves. Honestly, I have gotten good deals at both in the past.
We usually go to the one at Solomon Pond mall ( in MA ) and it is very Disneyish. movie is always playing, great merch, feels very Disney to me when we go there

I have been to the one at Pheasant Lane mall in Nashua NH and I thought it was very plain and not very "disney" either.
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: