Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #136
TheTXTaylors5
He's the Mickey to my Minnie

DAY FOUR (Part 3)
MONDAY - December 13, 2010

WINE TASTING
I have never done a wine tasting. I am definitely not a connoisseur of wine. But, I do enjoy a good wine when I come across one to my liking. The Cadillac Lounge was filled with some familiar faces. Over the years, we’ve attended a few DIS Events like DISapalooza last year and a DIS group Adventures by Disney trip last April. So, we’ve gotten to know a few DISers and members of the Podcast crew over the years.

The wine tasting group.

All the tables were full. So, we hopped up onto the bar stools.

Ready for my first wine tasting.

Waiting on the bar was a flight of wines for the tasting. Some reds and some whites.

My flight of wine.

Also, there was chocolate and white chocolate to accompany some of the wines for the tasting.

The yummy chocolate. (I couldn't help myself. I munched on it during the whole tasting! LOL)

A DCL sommelier led the wine tasting. He gave us the history of each wine and told us the proper way to swirl the wine and taste.

Our DCL Sommelier.

Some of the wines were good and some were really, really bad. I was surprised how the chocolate made the wine taste differently. I can now see how pairing wine with the right food can make the wine taste better (or worse).

Mom "enjoying" the wine tasting.

Cheers Bill!

Being my first wine tasting, I learned a lot. I wouldn’t mind doing another one in the future.

This was my favorite wine.

After the wine tasting, we went to check on the kids in the clubs. Since, we (Mom, Bill and I) are having dinner at Palo tonight, we aren't eating in the main dining room. So, we wanted to catch the early stage show (Toy Story - The Musical). The boys were having too much fun. So, Emily came with Bill and I to the show. Mom went back to her stateroom to shower and get ready for dinner later. We've seen Toy Story - The Musical on past cruises. It is a condensed version of the movie with some new songs. It is cute.

Pictures from Toy Story - The Musical.

All throughout the day, people had been mumbling whether we would get to Castaway Cay tomorrow. There was a nasty storm brewing offshore. Conditions have to be just right for the Captain to pull into CC. We finally heard that we would stay docked in Nassau for the night and the Captain would head out to sea early in the morning for our At Sea day. He was switching up the days. Then, he would "try" to dock at Castaway Cay on Wednesday. Fingers crossed we get to Castaway Cay.

I decided to step outside to get some fresh air and take some pictures before heading back to our stateroom to get ready for our Palo dinner. As soon as I stepped outside, I felt the wind and rain. It was nasty outside.

Deck 4 Pictures (not a soul in sight)

A wet and windy evening in Nassau.

I sure am glad we are staying docked this evening. Otherwise, I might have to break out the Bonine. The kids were all safe in the clubs. So, I could get ready for dinner without any distractions. Besides being with my family, there are two things I look forward to most on a Disney cruise ... our day at Castaway Cay and dinner at Palo. I am really looking forward to this dinner.

We made our way to the elevator and pushed floor 10. Dinner at Palo awaits!

COMING UP: Dinner at Palo
2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR Trip Report ,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH (DLR) Trip Report, POR Trip Report , SSR Trip Report, BWV Trip Report , POFQ ~ DAP; 2010:BWV(2xs), ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) Trip Report ~ Napa Rose Review, AKV ~ DCL(Wonder) Trip Report; 2011:BCV(2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ F&W, MNSSHP, MVMCP, 1st 5K Race! ~ DCL(Dream);2012: AKV, BWV, BLT ~ F&W, MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy) ~ CC5K;2013: 04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ EEC & F&G, 10/Pop ~ F&W, 12/DLH (DLR), 12/PPH (DLR); 2014: 06/DCL ~ Wonder (Alaska), 08/DLH (DLR), 10/DCL - Magic (Southern Caribbean); 11/AKV;2015: 01/AKV ~ WDW Marathon Weekend, 04/ABD - CA/GCH(DLR)

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 02-09-2011 at 04:57 PM.
TheTXTaylors5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #137
DVCsince02
Everyone knows is better

Woo Hoo! Love Palo!

DVCsince02 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #138
TheTXTaylors5

DAY FOUR (Part 4)
MONDAY – December 13, 2010

Palo

Stepping out of the elevator on deck 10, we were right at the entrance to Palo. Leaving the rest of the ship to enter Palo, I could feel that this was an adults-only area. It was elegantly decorated with an Italian-theme. We were greeted by a smiling CM. He told us to have a seat and we would be seated shortly. Within a minute, he came back and was leading us to our table. The restaurant was packed, but not loud. People were speaking in low tones which I really appreciated. It added to the romantic ambiance of the room.

Our reservation was for 8:30 pm. So, the view outside of the window was darkness. For this cruise, the earlier seatings were booked. In the future, I would try and get a reservation around sunset. Since we were still docked, the restaurant was very still. This helped in enjoying our meal without the threat of motion sickness.

We were seated for only a moment, when our server came to introduce herself. She was very friendly. However, I felt it was a “forced” friendliness. Even so, she was very attentive throughout our dinner. She took our drink order. Mom and Bill ordered martinis I opted for cranberry juice and vodka. Then, a basket of breads and dipping sauces were placed on the table.

Dipping Sauces

(Pic from DIS)

Bill and I already knew what we wanted before even opening the menu. I have been looking forward to this meal since we booked this cruise. I ordered …

Fried Calamari
This was hot and crispy. Definitely fresher than what I was served at Parrot Cay last night. The squid was tender and perfectly cooked. It was a hit with everyone at the table. Too soon, it was all gobbled up. I definitely could have even more of this!

Quattro Fromaggi (Four-Cheese) Pizza
This was piping hot and crispy. It was very tasty. It had mozarella, mascarpone, gorgonzola and parmesan cheese. It tasted just as good as it sounds. Yummy! With three of us at the table, this was gone in a flash. Like the calamari, I could have eaten one more slice of the pizza. But, I was saving myself for my entrée and dessert. There was no way I was coming to Palo and being too stuffed to eat dessert. So, I paced myself.

(Pic from DIS)

Lobster and Mascarpone Ravioli.
On our last cruise, I got the steak. I didn’t like the sauce on it and ended up eating Bill’s lobster ravioli. So for this dinner at Palo, I ordered my own lobster ravioli. My first bite was yummy filled with lobster and the cream sauce worked well with the ravioli. However, my other two raviolis didn’t taste as good. By the time I got to them, the sauce was getting cold and the lobster flavor tasted “off”. It was weird. So in the future, I will try something different. Our server never really came by while I was eating this or I probably would have ordered something else. Then again, I was getting a little full and wanted to save room for …

Chocolate Soufflé
Everyone at our table ordered the chocolate soufflé. This came hot with chocolate and vanilla sauce which our server poured over each soufflé. I wish she would have left the sauces because half-way through eating my soufflé, I wanted to add more sauce (just my personal taste). Bill and Mom loved theirs the way it came. I loooooove chocolate! So, I was really looking forward to this sweet ending to my meal. This was chocolatey and yummy as usual. No complaints here! Yummmmmmmm!

Our server also brought out a selection of gelato for us to try. They were very refreshing.

After dessert, our server brought us a shot of a chilled lemon drink. I think it was limoncello. It was strong and very sweet.

Too soon, it was time to leave Palo. It left me wanting more. So of course, we will be back during a future cruise.

Palo - Dinner (DCL Wonder)
Food
Service
Atmosphere

Rating: 5 Best - 1 Worst

After dinner, we decided to go back to our stateroom to get into more comfortable clothing. Then, we went to WaveBands, the adult-only nightclub. It was crowded. We found some familiar faces and relaxed a bit before getting the kids.

Hanging out at WaveBands.

Even Bob Gurr (Disney Legend) was in Wavebands hanging out with the DISers onboard. He is a hoot!

Bob Gurr surrounded by DISers.

While we got the kids out of the Oceaneer Lab and Oceaneer Club, Mom stayed with our friends in the club and was going to meet back up with us in our staterooms. While getting the kids into their pajamas, Mom came into her stateroom. One more day had come and gone on The Wonder too quickly. Since the Captain is switching days, tomorrow would be our "At Sea" day. We have some great things planned for tomorrow. I can’t wait!

COMING UP: Brunch AND High Tea at Palo and meeting up with some Adventures by Disney friends.
2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR Trip Report ,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH (DLR) Trip Report, POR Trip Report , SSR Trip Report, BWV Trip Report , POFQ ~ DAP; 2010:BWV(2xs), ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) Trip Report ~ Napa Rose Review, AKV ~ DCL(Wonder) Trip Report; 2011:BCV(2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ F&W, MNSSHP, MVMCP, 1st 5K Race! ~ DCL(Dream);2012: AKV, BWV, BLT ~ F&W, MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy) ~ CC5K;2013: 04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ EEC & F&G, 10/Pop ~ F&W, 12/DLH (DLR), 12/PPH (DLR); 2014: 06/DCL ~ Wonder (Alaska), 08/DLH (DLR), 10/DCL - Magic (Southern Caribbean); 11/AKV;2015: 01/AKV ~ WDW Marathon Weekend, 04/ABD - CA/GCH(DLR)

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 02-18-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #139
TheTXTaylors5

DAY FIVE
TUESDAY - December 14, 2010

We got in late the night before. So once again, everyone was moving slowly this morning. The DIS Unplugged Podcast was taping this morning onboard. There was no way we were making it. I was still in my pajamas waiting on room service when the show began. I was a little bummed, because I wanted to see the taping. One of these years we’ll get to one. During DISapalooza in 2009, we missed the taping because we ended up taking Cole (DS5) to the Magic Kingdom that day. Will and Emily couldn’t miss school (we had just taken them out a week the month before for a WDW trip). So, I got a nanny to stay with them. Shhhhhh! They still don’t know to this day that we went to Walt Disney World for that long weekend without them. We told them it was a business conference. LOL Cole has never spilled the beans. Smart kid! Okay, back to this morning … For breakfast, we got an assortment of pastries, cereal and fruit. Our kids aren’t fussy when it comes to breakfast. Will we get to enjoy breakfast “outside” of our room on this cruise??????

Room Service Breakfast

Bill and I have a brunch reservation at Palo today. Yea!!! I couldn’t get a reservation for the three of us for brunch. So, Mom and I are doing the Palo High Tea later. We’ve had brunch at Palo before. So, I know what to expect (thinking back, I don’t think I ate breakfast that morning). I’m going in there hungry!

We didn’t rush today. We brought the kids up to their clubs after our late breakfast. Mom had the morning and early afternoon all to herself. She could explore the ship or just sit on deck and take a nap. I know she appreciated the quiet time. I was going to meet her back in the room later. So, we could go to Palo together for our tea.

Palo Take Two ...

Palo Brunch

Bill and I got to Palo a little early for our Brunch. The room once again was VERY full. So, we waited a few minutes before being seated. Our server from our dinner last night, was our brunch server too. She remembered us and greeted us with a smile. I just remembered her name, Mariana from Argentina.

Our Server Mariana

She gave us a tour of the buffet. One thing I noticed, there was a lot of empty spaces on the buffet. It didn’t look like they were replenishing the buffet. Our reservation was for Noon (the only time we could get). Next time, I’ll try and get an earlier seating.

The Buffet

Made-to-order selections on display.

Once back at our table, Mariana took our drink orders and made-to order items. I ordered the chicken parmigiana. I have to get with Bill to remember what he ordered. I was focused on my own plate. While Mariana placed our order with the chef, we made a beeline for the buffet. We’d better hurry up and get food while it was there! I got some fruit, cheeses, meats and crackers to nibble on before my chicken arrived. By the time we got back to our table with our filled plates, our drinks were waiting on the table. It didn’t take long for our made-to-order meals arrived.

Chicken Parmigiana
The chicken was crispy and obviously cooked fresh. The tomato sauce was light and complimented the chicken well. The breading on the chicken was very light as if it were coated in panko breadcrumbs. I may have to try that at home the next time I make chicken parm. It was very tasty! The chicken was placed on top of cheese risotto. The risotto was perfectly cooked and creamy. I DO plan on getting this at our next Palo Brunch. It was “that” good.

Bill and Jennifer enjoying Palo Brunch

What is a Palo Brunch without dessert? After devouring my chicken (not a bite left on my plate!), we made our way to the dessert table.

Dessert Buffet

Everything looked yummy, but what I really wanted was not there anymore … chocolate-covered strawberries. When we took the buffet tour earlier, I noticed the strawberries. So, I was anticipating ending my meal with one. Well now, there wasn’t a chocolate-covered strawberry in sight. Our server went out back to see if there were anymore, but came back empty-handed. Another thing for next time, when I see the chocolate-covered strawberries … grab one! I settled on a cream tart and pudding-like dessert.

My plate of sweets.

Both were “okay”. I didn’t waddle out of there feeling bloated like I anticipated. I want a redo on Palo Brunch for an earlier time. It’s on my list for our next cruise.

Palo – Brunch (DCL Wonder)
Food
Service
Atmosphere

Rating: 5 Best - 1 Worst

COMING UP: Quick Meet and Greet with Bob Gurr, Charles Ridgway and Lee Cockerell!

Old 05-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #140
TheTXTaylors5

Sorry this Trip Report has been neglected. A lot going on here ... trips to San Diego, Las Vegas, Utah & Colorado, school things with the kids, crazy weather (tornado and hail storms), fire in our laundry room and honestly I haven't been online that much lately. I've been living life! I still want to complete this trip report. The best is yet to come! So, here I go ...

Old 05-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #141
TheTXTaylors5

DAY FIVE (Part 2)

We missed out on some of the DIS Unplugged Podcast events by having the Palo Brunch (podcast taping and speaker autograph sessions). We happened to pass by Studio Sea (where they were doing the autograph session) after our Brunch and poked our heads in. Bob Gurr, Charles Ridgway and Lee Cockerell were still in there. We didn’t have our items to be signed (they were back in our stateroom), but we didn’t want to miss out on this opportunity to meet them and get a picture.

Charles Ridgway with Bill and Jennifer

Charles Ridgway was initially responsible for the Publicity Department at Disneyland. He worked for Walt! He started with Walt before Disneyland was even completed. Charles Ridgway has written a memoir called “Spinning Disney’s World” (I read it in two days! Great read!). I love the story in his book about sneaking into Disneyland when he was just a reporter to get the “scoop” on the construction progress. It is a great book for any Walt Disney and Disney parks fan. Charles Ridgway has handled the publicity for every Disney theme park opening including the Walt Disney World Resort, Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disneyland, and Hong Kong Disneyland. To me, it was surreal to meet people that that actually knew “the” Walt Disney. Walt died before I was born. So, I am always mesmerized by people that actually knew and worked with him. Charles Ridgway was the cutest. Bill called him Mr. Ridgway and he said, “Call me Charlie.” He is now retired and a Disney Legend.

Bob Gurr with Bill and Jennifer

Bob Gurr is the mastermind Disney Imagineer behind most of the ride vehicles for the Disneyland park. Initially, he was hired to design the cars for the Autopia at Disneyland and then continued from there to the monorail and the famous and innovative Matterhorn. He is now retired and a Disney Legend. He is full of energy! Bob Gurr was around every corner of the ship. I bumped into him in the kid’s clubs, the bars, in the Cove Café ... He was filming while onboard. He is a great inspiration. Whenever you are riding on the monorail or Tomorrowland Speedway, thank Mr. Gurr.

Lee Cockerell with Bill and Jennifer

Lee Cockerell is the former Executive Vice President of Resort Operations at Walt Disney World. He now does speaking engagements on leadership and had written a couple of books. Bill and I first met Lee Cockerell during DISapalooza in December of 2009. It was nice to meet him again and get another picture. He is a very gracious man.

Prior to the cruise, we had kept in contact with some of our fellow Adventures by Disney - California Backstage Magic tour travelers from last April. One of our travel mates (Thank you Matthew!) organized a get together onboard. So, after our quick meet and greet with Bob Gurr, Charles Ridgway and Lee Cockerell, we met back up with my Mom and headed up to deck 9 for the “ABD Meet”.

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 05-27-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #142
TheTXTaylors5

DAY FIVE (Part 3)

On our way to the meet, we bumped into a familiar face on the elevator. You never know who you'll meet on a Disney cruise!

Hi Donald!

There were already a few people mingling. We had seen most of the people already around the ship. But, it was fun to see our little group together again.

Adventures by Disney DISFriends

It was VERY windy on deck 9. So, we all decided to head inside to the Cove Café. For the upcoming Alaskan cruises, they now have a second floor that overlooks deck 10. It has a great view! I am sure it will be a nice place to get a hot cup of coffee and enjoy the beauty of Alaska outside.

Upstairs in the Cove Cafe'

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 06-15-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #143
TheTXTaylors5

DAY FIVE (Part 4)

My Mom and I had to excuse ourselves because we had High Tea reservations at Palo. When booking our Palo reservations, I couldn’t get a Palo Brunch reservation for three (only two). So, My Mom and I planned a girl’s afternoon for tea.

PALO – High Tea
When we arrived at Palo, it was “almost” empty. There was only two other tables (with a party of two) occupied. We were greeted immediately and seated near the window. It was so empty, each table had their own server. Once again, I am terrible with names. But, our server was very friendly and attentive. I even think he was flirting with my Mom. LOL!!!

Mom and her admirer

I am embarrassed to say, when our server saw me he said, "Weren't you just here for the brunch?" He wasn't my server for brunch, but I guess he remembered me. Yes, it's me back for more yummy Palo food. Can you blame me?

It was very nice and relaxing being in Palo for High Tea. I don’t know if it is always this empty. But, it was a real treat. We got to pick what type of tea we wanted to drink. We both chose an orange tea. We could have chosen two different teas if we wanted. But, we both wanted the same tea. It was light and perfect to accompany our "light" meal.

A mother and daughter afternoon

Pinkies up!

A tray of goodies was placed upon our table. I had read about how great the scones and Devonshire cream was to eat. Personally, I didn’t like the Devonshire cream. It tasted like a non-sweetened Cool Whip. Good thing I only put it on half of my scone. I used blackberry jam on the other half and it was delicious.

My scone with Devonshire cream and jam.

On the tray with the scones were finger sandwiches. I tried a tomato and cheese one which was yummy. Of course they had a cucumber sandwich, which my Mom tried. She liked it.

The savory tray.

I have never done a “High Tea” before. So, I thought that was it (scones, cream and sandwiches). But, then our server said “I hope you saved room for this . . .” and then he presented us with a tray of desserts. They look awfully familiar. Some of the items were leftovers from the brunch. By this time, I WAS getting to my limit and I didn’t have any dessert. I did have another cup of tea though.

The sweets tray.

I read no great or rave reviews about the High Tea before our cruise (just that people liked the Devonshire cream). I have nothing but great things to write about the experience. It was a nice relaxing time with my Mom. No kids, great view, adult conversation, attentive server, yummy eats and Palo “almost” to ourselves. I’d definitely do High Tea again (just not on my Palo Brunch day!!!!).

We were not rushed out, but we did reluctantly leave the peace and tranquility of Palo. It was time to meet back up with Bill.

Palo (High Tea) – Disney Wonder
Food
Service
Atmosphere

I relaxed in the room for a bit before Bill came back. While we were at High Tea, he wandered around the ship and enjoyed some peace and quiet. Before I knew it, it was time to get the kids from the kid clubs and get ready for dinner.

COMING UP: Tonight, we dine at Animator’s Palate!

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 05-27-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #144
TheTXTaylors5

DAY FIVE (Part 5)

Animator’s Palate

Tonight we are dining at Animator’s Palate. This is my favorite of the three rotational dining restaurants. The décor with changing colors is nothing like I’ve ever seen in another restaurant. Also, if the meal is like our past cruises, I’ve had the best luck food-wise at Animator’s Palate. Tonight’s theme is Pirate Night. We didn’t bring pirate costumes this cruise. I honestly didn’t have any more room in the suitcases for them. Later after dinner, there is a Pirates IN the Caribbean Party on deck 9/10 and fireworks at sea.

A bandana was waiting at everyone's place setting to get them in mood for the party later.

Time to dine. This evening, I didn't have steak. Shocker! I had ...

Baked Potato and Cheddar Cheese Soup

This was tasty and warm. It tasted better than it looked.

Bill got the butternut squash soup that he just raved about. It was one of those moments where the person insists you try their soup.

Bill's Butternut Squash Soup

Lemon-Thyme Marinated Chicken Breast

I couldn’t decide what I wanted for dinner tonight. I had steak in the main dining room before and wanted to try something different. This was really good and nice change from steak.

Double-Fudge Chocolate Cake with caramel sauce

I am a chocoholic. I like “anything” chocolaty or covered in chocolate. But, I’ve found that most chocolate desserts that look so yummy, usually aren’t. Luckily, this was actually good. The cake was moist and I ate every last morsel. I knew there was a Midnight Buffet later. But, we haven’t had the best of luck with it in the past and planned to skip it. So, this dessert was a nice end to my meal.

Our servers were really working for their tips tonight, they were VERY friendly and our Head Server did some magic tricks for the kids.

Our server keeping the kids entertained.

The kids with our servers.

Throughout dinner, the pictures on the wall change from black and white to color. So, do the servers vests. I really like this restaurant. I wish they would open something like this at Walt Disney World.

Ariel comes to life before our eyes.

This seemed like a very quick meal. Maybe, because we were having such a nice time. Before I knew, it was time to leave. We all walked out of Animator’s Palate happy with our meal and the dining experience. It was great all around.

The family enjoying dinner at Animator’s Palate.

Animator’s Palate (Dinner) – Disney Wonder
Food
Service
Atmosphere

COMING UP: Pirates IN the Caribbean Deck Party!

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 05-27-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #145
TheTXTaylors5

DAY FIVE (Part 6)

Tonight is the infamous “Pirates IN the Caribbean Deck Party”. The boys wanted to get back to the kid clubs and have more fun with their friends. Emily (DD8) wanted to stay with the adults for the deck party and fireworks. So, Bill went to check the boy in and I took Emily to the gift shop. I didn’t bring any pirate items. So, I let Emily pick out some things for the party. She got a Mickey-eared pirate hat and hook.

Arrrrgh! It's pirate Emily.

As soon as we stepped out onto the deck, I was so glad we brought our jackets. It was cold and windy. I am keeping my fingers crossed they can do the fireworks. The party was in full swing when we got outside. The CMs were dressed like pirates dancing on the stage. Then, Mickey came out to save us from Captain Hook. It was fun!

Mickey hanging around

Soon, the at-sea fireworks display started. It is always special knowing that Disney Cruise Line is the only cruise line with at-sea fireworks.

At sea fireworks

Once the fireworks ended, we went back inside to the warmth of the ship. We wanted to go have some fun in the adults-only clubs. So, we dropped Emily off at the Oceaneer Lab and headed to . . .

Route 66!

We heard the most partying going on in Wavebands. So, we stepped in. We saw many familiar faces and sat down at a table with some fellow DISers. There was a Dating Game-type show going on. It was funny to see just how little some people know about each other after being married for so long. The ones married the least always seem to remember the most because it just happened yesterday. So of course, the newlyweds won. After a few cranberry and vodkas, it was time to get the kids to catch some zzzz’s. Tomorrow we will be at Castaway Cay. To me, that little island in the Bahamas is what keeps me coming back on the Disney cruises. It is pure paradise and we would be waking up there!

COMING UP: This is the Bahamas right?!?!?!?! Where’s the warm ocean breeze?!?!?!?!?

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 05-27-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #146
TheTXTaylors5

DAY SIX
WEDNESDAY - December 15, 2010

We weren’t early risers this cruise. However on this day, we wanted to make the most of our time on Castaway Cay and actually set the alarm for 6:30 am. We wanted to be off the ship by 8 am. Once again, we got room service for breakfast and multi-tasked as some were in the showers and some eating.

We disembarked about 8:10 am. A cool breeze welcomed us to Castaway Cay, Bahamas. I am used to stepping off the ship and being greeted with the warm sunshine. Today, there will be numerous times that I tell my Mom, "When we “normally” come, the sun is shining and people are swimming."

Castaway Cay was decorated for the holidays.

This Santa buoy is in the same spot every year! (On the corner near the tram station closest to the ship.)

Even the tram was decorated.

We noticed a board with the daily cancellations. We planned to parasail and booked it online. Sadly, due to the wind, our parasailing was cancelled.

Booooooooo!

I booked my Mom for a cabana massage while Bill and I were parasailing. So, maybe we can book a couples-cabana massage. We plan to check on that when we get to Serenity Bay (the adults-only beach) later.

We hopped on a waiting tram to the Family Beach. We are meeting all the DISers on the cruise for a group picture.

Enjoying our tram ride (Except for Cole. He was cold and NOT happy with the weather.)

Of course we had to get a picture of the kids in front of Mount Rustmore. You will notice Cole is missing. He was still too cold to pose.

Will and Emily in front of Mount Rustmore.

We saw Lilo and Stitch on our way to meet the DISGroup and Cole finally was warming up. So, he hopped in the picture.

The kids having fun with the characters on Castaway Cay

It took some time to get everyone organized. So, it gave me some time to take pictures and the family played on the beach for a bit.

Having fun on the beach! (Great place to take picture on the beach and get the ship in the background.)

The group waiting for instructions for the picture.

Once the group picture was taken, we took the kids to . . .

Scuttles Cove (the kids club on the island).

It was too windy and cold to have a family beach day like I had planned for the morning. The kids were VERY happy to play with their new friends and Bill and I were VERY happy to head to Serenity Bay. Win, win situation! We happily took the tram to Serenity Bay.

Off to Serenity Bay ...

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 05-27-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #147
TheTXTaylors5

Problem with photobucket again! Will add pictures soon . . .

DAY SIX (Part 2)

Once at Serenity Bay, we headed straight for the bar (Castaway Air Bar). Even though it was coffee weather, we had to be the typical Caribbean vacationers and get a fruity drink to celebrate. So, we ordered some Midori Coladas. If you like Midori, you will love these. They are yummy! It is a pina colada with Midori (melon liqueur). We met some fellow DISers at the bar and chatted for a bit. That is a nice thing about being on a DIS-sponsored cruise, we had “new” friends everywhere. Even if we didn’t know the people, we could identify DISers by their lanyards (and we wore ours). EVERYONE we met was very friendly and we immediately had a conversation topic, our infatuation with Disney. I felt bad for the non-DISers onboard, because we were a rowdy bunch.

It was weird seeing people bundled up on CC. The wind was pretty fierce. You could pretty much have your pick of hammocks. Now, that is unheard of. We took our drinks and sat down on the beach to relax. The splashing of the ocean waves is very soothing. I used to have an ocean waves cd to put me to sleep at night. It was really windy on the beach. So, we put our seat backs to the wind and faced the sun. It actually felt tropical that way. So, if I closed my eyes and concentrated on the sun hitting my face, it was a nice warm day on Castaway Cay.

After finishing our drinks, we headed to the massage cabanas check-in area to see if they had any openings. They didn’t have a couples-massage opening until close to the time we needed to pick up the kids. I decided to say “Happy Anniversary” to Bill and I honestly pretty much forced him into signing up for the massage alone. His time was after lunch. So, we waved bye to my Mom as it was time for her massage. We went back to the beach to relax with another Midori Colada in hand. Before I knew it, my Mom met back up with us. She looked so relaxed. However, she said it was chilly and she had to ask the masseuse to close the little windows inside the cabana. By this time, we were all getting hungry. They’ll feed the kids lunch at Scuttles Cove. So, we decided to have lunch at the Serenity Bay BBQ.

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 05-27-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #148
TheTXTaylors5

DAY SIX (Part 3)

Serenity Bay BBQ
It was a mix of regular bbq items like hamburgers and hot dogs. But, there was also chicken and fish. I opted for the chicken and ended up taking it off the bone and made a sandwich of it. It was tasty. Of course there was lots of fruit. I got pineapple and cantaloupe. Both were sweet and juicy. There is a dessert buffet and soft service ice cream and soda fountain station. The soda at the soda station and buffet food is free, the alcohol and items at the bar were charged to our KTTW (no cash accepted on the island except at the Post Office and at the little bazaar area with the local Bahamians selling goods.) When I was “almost” done with my lunch, we got a page from the kid’s club that Emily wanted out. It was almost time for Bill’s massage. So, I left Bill to get his massage and my Mom was going to relax some more at Serenity Bay and meet us back in the room before dinner. It was her vacation too. So, I know she appreciated the down-time.

Serenity Bay BBQ (Lunch) – Castaway Cay, Bahamas
Food
Service (Buffet)
Atmosphere

Old 05-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #149
TheTXTaylors5

DAY SIX (Part 4)

I sadly hopped on the tram from Serenity Bay and knew I wouldn’t be back this trip. This day is going by way too quickly. Then, I hopped off and then waited for the other tram to take me near Scuttles Cove. This was our first time being on the island with all the renovations and the two trams stops, new shops and water play area. It makes the island feel bigger, which I know they need with the new/bigger ships. I finally made it to Scuttles Cove and Emily was happily throwing water on the CMs. She was smiling and having a great time. Then, why did she have us paged?!?!?! When she saw me, she said. “I missed you.” Awwwww! That is sweet and all, but now what? She decided she was done in Scuttles Cove. I tried to round-up her brothers, but they were still having fun and didn’t want to leave. So, I took Emily to get some ice cream and we sat on the Family Beach.

It was actually nice having just “the girls” relaxing. When she was done with her ice cream, she wanted to brave the wind and water. So, I let her play in the water. I just stood with my feet in the water. It was cold!!!! Kids have such high tolerance of things like pool and ocean cold water. Emily had fun playing in the water with only a few people around her. I looked down the Family Beach which is normally bustling with families and people to people in the water, the beach was almost empty and this was around 1 pm. Those on the beach were bundled in jackets and towels.

When we passed by the Post Office earlier it was closed. I had some postcards I wanted to send. So, I persuaded Emily out of the water and we walked to the Castaway Cay Post Office. It was closed. Due to the choppy water, the Post Office boat didn’t come out today. I was told by a CM nearby (they were handling the crowd for the Chip and Dale Meet and Greet in front of the PO) that I could give the postcards to a CM at Guest Services, pay the postage at Guest Services (it was charged to my KTTW) and they would bring them to the Castaway Cay Post Office on the ships next trip. So, that is what I did when we got back onboard. Our friends and family got their postcards about three to four weeks later (Bahamian mail tends to take it’s time). Emily and I decided it was time to get the boys and get back on the ship to wash off the sand and relax before dinner. I was going to meet Bill back in our stateroom after his massage, which should be ending about now ...

Old 05-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #150
TheTXTaylors5

DAY SIX (Part 5)

I’m walking back to the ship with the three kids in tow when I have an “Oh no!” moment. I don’t have their KTTW cards to get them back on the ship. You need it to get on and off the ship. Bill has all the kids cards. We have no other choice than to wait around for Bill to make his way back to the ship. We hang out at the little deck area across from the Post Office. I let the kids run around while I keep an eye out for Bill. He’s 6’5” tall. So, I can usually pick him out in a crowd. After about twenty minutes, here comes Bill. Everyone’s cards are here and we can get back on our “Home Away From Home”. I like that they have a “Welcome Home” sign on the ship as you embark her at each port.

Since they switched our At Sea day with the Castaway Cay day, this afternoon was the kid programs graduation ceremony. So, we got back to the room and quickly got the kids cleaned up so we could drop them off at the kid clubs to prepare for the ceremony. Then, Bill and I went back to our stateroom to get showered and changed. I was almost ready when I hear Mom come into the other stateroom. She stayed on the island for as long as possible. She looks like she had a nice day. Even with the weird weather, it was a nice day on Castaway Cay. No sunburns to worry about on this trip!

It was time to head to the Walt Disney Theatre and see the Friendship Rocks show featuring all the kids from the clubs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: