Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
littleguccigirl
Earning My Ears

Value Resort vs Marriott

I'm new to the board so any response would be awesome. We will be going to Disney World with my family kids ages 2 and 5 for the first time April 10-23 2011. The first week, we booked a cruise from April 10-17 and then afterwards plan to do some shopping plus groceries for 2 days and then 4 days at Magic Kingdom. I hope to also book the BBB one morning and then go to a character dining after so will I be able to get in that early? I have a reservation with the Marriott booked right now at the Residence Inn for $104 per night which we get a kitchen and also a full breakfast included in the price. Hotel parking also is free, but no shuttle from them. But also contemplating maybe I should stay on site since it is Easter, the crowds will be more and shuttle around maybe be smarter since if we park, we could be parked far. Any suggestions to make the first trip a little better especially since the cost of an additional $50 per night totallying $200 will be increased if we stayed in any of the value resorts. Should I worry about parking far? Or should I be worried about the long wait times for shuttle?

Thanks.
littleguccigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
BYC
DIS Veteran

Welcome! You will get many different opinions on this. I would NEVER stay off site no matter how great the hotel is. On site only for me! I love values, especially POP! Not sure why you need two days for shopping ( I HATE shopping, and would never do it on my vacation!) Seems like wasted time. Also, why 4 days at Magic Kingdom? Have you been to Disney before? Have you been to Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom and Epcot? Also, if you stay off site, you will have to pay for parking each day when you go to a park ($14, I think). If you stay on site, Parking is FREE! If you are going during Easter, and you don't get to the parks very early, you will be parked far away. Sorry, I guess I didn't really help you much. Why not stay on site AND drive you car? Except to the Magic Kingdom, where is is easier to take the Disney buses.
BYC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Wild4Walt
DIS Veteran

I'm also of the mindset to stay onsite vs. offsite at any property.

That being said though - the difference in hotel types can vary - you're looking at apples to oranges to start with.

The Value resorts are great, and will offer much of what the Residence will except for space. The Residence rooms tend to be a bit larger so if space can be a deal breaker for your family I would think this would be your main concern. The values also will not have the kitchen so if that is something that you think you would really use - the Value may not be the best option for you.

POR Oct 14 / POP Oct 12 / Poly Oct 12 / CBR Nov 11 / POR Oct 10 /Pop May 10/Poly Nov 09 / CBR Mar 09 / BWI - Feb 09 / BC- Oct 08 / POFQ - Feb 08 / SSR- Dec 07 / POR - Oct 07 / Poly Oct 05
Wild4Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Nadjalu
DIS Veteran

Ok I am all for staying onsite, but I must let you know that in a Value you do not have a kitchen, let alone a fridge for groceries.
You can pay $15 a night for a little "dorm" sized fridge that will hold some bottles of water, a 1/2 gal. milk/juice and a couple snacks. But if you plan on getting groceries for meals...it will NOT hold that much food.
So that may be a issue for you.

You are right about the buses, it is so convienient and to me worth every penny staying onsite. But basically when we go we go with the mindset of "everything Disney" we rely on them for our food, our transportation, everything.
So if you want a bit of freedom from being tied down I think you may be better offsite.

Especially if the food is an issue.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

Value for sure! You get sooo many benefits for being a resort guest and it just makes you feel like you're more a part of the magic Plus, the value resorts are veryyy inexpensive I love them! My favorites are Pop Century and All-Star Movies. All Star Sports is also really fun

WDW Commando #141
WDW (on-site only): 2001: POFQ/ 2010: AKL-Jambo House/ 2011: YC Club Level, POFQ, CSR & AKL-Jambo House (DVC!)/ 2012: SSR (x2), BWV (x2), AKV- Kidani Village & BLT/ 2013: AoA, POLY & AKV- Jambo House/ 2014: CBR, VWL, BCV & GRAND FLORIDIAN VILLAS!
DL: 2009: Fairfield Inn Marriot/ 2010: Camelot Inn/ 2013: Carousel Inn

Completed Trip Reports:

The Frump Takes Over the World: Food Edition! A DR with Extra Magic!A Frump's TR: "Me Gusta Epic Mealtime! Stop Thinking My Thoughts: I'm Five."

"I Don't Wanna Meet Mickey In a Frumpin' Poncho!"
"SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP! It Builds Character and Strength!" A July 2011 TR!

Disneyfreak616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
canopynut66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleguccigirl View Post
I'm new to the board so any response would be awesome. We will be going to Disney World with my family kids ages 2 and 5 for the first time April 10-23 2011. The first week, we booked a cruise from April 10-17 and then afterwards plan to do some shopping plus groceries for 2 days and then 4 days at Magic Kingdom. I hope to also book the BBB one morning and then go to a character dining after so will I be able to get in that early? I have a reservation with the Marriott booked right now at the Residence Inn for $104 per night which we get a kitchen and also a full breakfast included in the price. Hotel parking also is free, but no shuttle from them. But also contemplating maybe I should stay on site since it is Easter, the crowds will be more and shuttle around maybe be smarter since if we park, we could be parked far. Any suggestions to make the first trip a little better especially since the cost of an additional $50 per night totallying $200 will be increased if we stayed in any of the value resorts. Should I worry about parking far? Or should I be worried about the long wait times for shuttle?

Thanks.
In 57 trips to WDW have stayed all over and in the Downtown Disney Area (on Disney property but NOT Disney owned hotels) they nice but we just prefer on site. This trip we will be at POP a value has great bus service (also get t free parking pass) and we are in on the free dining it is Quick Service which is counter service so we upgraded to Magic you Way to get a table service (sit down) dinner and one CS a day

Last edited by canopynut66; 10-17-2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: add
canopynut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
matheke
DIS Veteran

If you are going in April you need to decide quickly. They are currently making PS for the restaurants through April 15th as of today. They can and do fill up quickly and people staying on site can make PS's through the 25th as of today.

Are you really going to use the kitchen that much? I just couldn't see having much use other than for breakfast and or snacks at the end of the day. I know I would not be driving back and forth off site for lunch or dinner during park hours.

Also think about going back and forth if you want a break in the middle of the day. WDW has fairly long hours during spring break. On site is so much easier if this is something you plan to do.

As far as parking far, that really is not much of an issue since there are trams that transport you from the far reaches of the parking lots to the front of the park/TTC.

Dan
matheke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

This is completely preference based. I prefer on property in most cases.

One of the main reasons I prefer on property is the drive to and from the parks, and the parking lots. I remember the exhausting walk from the parks, to the tram, then the drive in the car very vividly from when I was younger.

Now, I can sit on the bus, and zone out until the bus says "welcome home." I've rarely had to stand.

We've stayed in condos off property with kitchens, but we hardly used them. The perks were more space for less money. My parents have 6 children, so we would have needed 2 rooms or a villa on the disney property.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
Sue M
DIS Veteran

We stayed off site our first trip, at Marriott Courtyard. While it was a nice hotel, and did offer shuttle service, we decided after that, we'd stay on site.
It is a totally different experience staying on site. We use the WDW transportation, and I enjoy the perks of staying on site.

Love the dining plan, resort parcel delivery service, extra magic hours, and being so close. I like to take a mid day break, and go back to my resort for a swim break, then go back to the parks refreshed and rested for evening hours.

I haven't stayed at the values, except 1 night at Pop on arrival evening.

The Residence Inn does have breakfast, and a kitchenette. Breakfast is nice to have, but will you be returning to the hotel for meals? Not very convienent to do that, so don't know how much that will be of value.
And you'd have to pay for a rental car and parking, eatting away any savings.

Pop doesn't have a fridge or coffee pot in the room, but you can buy the Disney Dining Plan (DDP). There are several options you can read up on if you go to the WDW site. And there is a food court in the resort.

If you want a fridge and coffee pot in the room, the moderate and deluxe resorts have them. For mod. resorts we love POR and CBR.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outside hotels, parking, shuttle, value resorts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: