Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2010, 10:30 PM   #61
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry life is being so rainy right now! Cars can be such a pain, I know. I finally had to break down about a month ago and let my old one go. It was costing way more than it was worth to keep it running safely and smoothly.

I completely agree with your philosophy about taking some time to save and putting the vacations on the back burner. The nice thing about Disney trips is that you can spend a year planning one easily! Maybe if you tentitively planned a 2012 trip you would feel better. That way you have something to look forward to, but it won't get in the way of your financial goals. Just a thought!

Great update! I'm glad you had a slightly more relaxing day, even if you did spend part of it doing laundry!
Old 11-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #62
DisneyCrafter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill6 View Post
Loving your report. Great way to see the fireworks. We stayed at Sago Cay last year when we were at GF. We had MK view.
That's awesome! We had a marina view and we were towards the middle so even if we leaned over we couldn't see the Castle. Oh well. NBD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Sounds like a really nice day!!
It actually was quite nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE View Post
I'm sorry life is being so rainy right now! Cars can be such a pain, I know. I finally had to break down about a month ago and let my old one go. It was costing way more than it was worth to keep it running safely and smoothly.

I completely agree with your philosophy about taking some time to save and putting the vacations on the back burner. The nice thing about Disney trips is that you can spend a year planning one easily! Maybe if you tentitively planned a 2012 trip you would feel better. That way you have something to look forward to, but it won't get in the way of your financial goals. Just a thought!

Great update! I'm glad you had a slightly more relaxing day, even if you did spend part of it doing laundry!
If only we could afford a car payment. We're just not bringing in enough $$ right now to afford another monthly payment. 2012 is when I was thinking about going back to Disney so I think you may be right, I should plan another Disney vacation tentatively to keep my spirits up. I think I'll be fine until after the holidays and then it's really going to sink in. I applied for a few second jobs yesterday-all of which sound really fun to me so we'll see what happens. I've probably applied for 15-20 second jobs in the last few months and none have gone through. (Aside from the occasional babysitting I do for a couple who likes date night every once in a while.)

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #63
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

You got roses from mousekeeping?! That is so sweet!

The laundry facilities sound like a joke... sorry that chore turned out to be such a pain!

Glad you had fun at mini golf- Fantasia Gardens is a great course. And your DTD evening looked like fun, too!
Old 11-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #64
MusiqChic99
Love means going out to eat so that your husband won't have to cook.

Sorry to hear about your "rain". Keep the faith and you will be provided for!

I'm exactly like you are with money. I would rather have a cushion and do without. Things have a way of working themselves out though. Just think now you have more time to plan for a future trip. And you never know what might happen before then. As lucky as you were on this trip, you might find some luck in real life too!

Great report!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #65
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Reading along, your trip in early Oct caught my eye since we have been discussing switching to take advantage of FD next year, we had to cancel our Nov trip this year, seems like as you mentioned when it rains it pours our furnace went
You really lucked out being upgraded to GF, my dream resort and how the pixie dust kept following you guys, wishes cruise and roses too. Can not wait to read more.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 11-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #66
DisneyCrafter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
You got roses from mousekeeping?! That is so sweet!

The laundry facilities sound like a joke... sorry that chore turned out to be such a pain!

Glad you had fun at mini golf- Fantasia Gardens is a great course. And your DTD evening looked like fun, too!
It was so sweet and unexpected! We had a conversation on Tuesday afternoon. She said "You're not one of those people are you?" in a teasing voice because she asked me if I made my Mickey tote bag, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiqChic99 View Post
Sorry to hear about your "rain". Keep the faith and you will be provided for!

I'm exactly like you are with money. I would rather have a cushion and do without. Things have a way of working themselves out though. Just think now you have more time to plan for a future trip. And you never know what might happen before then. As lucky as you were on this trip, you might find some luck in real life too!

Great report!
That's what we're trying to do right now. We got a call today from the mechanic and he said something else should be replaced as well so that's about another $200. It's disheartening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
Reading along, your trip in early Oct caught my eye since we have been discussing switching to take advantage of FD next year, we had to cancel our Nov trip this year, seems like as you mentioned when it rains it pours our furnace went
You really lucked out being upgraded to GF, my dream resort and how the pixie dust kept following you guys, wishes cruise and roses too. Can not wait to read more.
I'm so sorry to hear about your furnace. That's one of my fears as well. Exactly why I want to get ahead before taking any more trips.

Thanks! Another update coming soon!!

Old 11-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #67
DisneyCrafter
DIS Veteran

Day 5: Thus marks the halfway point of our trip and a breakdown point for me.

We were up fairly early this morning as we had a 930 ADR for Boma. We left in plenty of time, I believe over an hour (perhaps closer to an hour and a half) before our ressie time. We quickly got over to MK by monorail and walked to the AKL bus stop, and waited. And waited. And waited some more. We were both getting frustrated by this point. There were hardly any resort specific buses. Iím guessing what was happening was that the buses werenít tied to any one resort at this point in the day (except for maybe one bus) and they were traveling between any resort that had a lot of people waiting. Finally a bus came (I think we waited 25-30 minutes) and we were on our way to breakfast!

We got to AKL and checked-in and we quickly were seated regardless they told us it would be about a 15-20 minute wait. I love their banana bread! I donít think many people go all the way down to the end of the buffet where it is, either. So next time you go, you have to get some! It is so moist and flavorful. I had some of their french toast, sausage, scrambled eggs with goat cheese & chives, breakfast potatoes, watermelon, and banana bread-lots of it! I was STUFFED! I may also have drank no less than 3 glasses of their Jungle Juice. As much as I wanted to walk around and check out the resort, I wanted to get over to AK more so we walked over to the bus stop and an AK bus came right up. Yay! It was a quick trip over and before I knew it we were looking at the Tree of Life.

Again, I donít know the exact order of things we did. We saw FOTLK, walked one of the trails and rode Kali River Rapids.

I then started to break down. I was exhausted and not having fun. We probably should have left at that point and went back. However, Greg noticed as we were getting FPs for EE that he lost his KTTW card. Instead of being a good wife and going to Guest Relations with him I threw a stink and stayed behind while he went. I walked the Maharajah Jungle Trek trail by myself and rode EE. He was finished as I was just getting on EE, so we met up. I then decided I needed some food or I was going to just continue to melt down. So we went to Pizzafari. We waited FOREVER for our food. It was just basic food, nothing special. We left after that and I went back to the room to nap for a while. I woke up refreshed and ready for evening.

I decided that I really wanted to set aside time to see MSEP and this night worked out the best. We got to MK around 5 I believe and decided to see if we could walk-up to Plaza-we could! We waited around a half-hour and I passed time by taking some pictures. I had a root beer float and we both had burgers and fries. The fries werenít what I was expecting at all. I thought they would be more potato-y. After that we went and found a spot for MSEP towards the end of Main Street so we could get of there quickly. We had some popcorn and sat down and waited for it to start. We actually had a great spot and got some really good pictures.

As soon as the parade was over, we booked it out of there and hopped on the monorail to the TTC to go to Epcot for EMH. We rode SE and headed over to the land to see what the wait was for Soariní-it was something like 65 minutes so we passed.

We then walked over to TT and the wait was similar. We decided to walk through World Showcase but we got to Mexico and I decided to just go back to the room b/c my feet were tired and I didnít want to get crabby again. Essentially, it was pointless to go to Epcot that night-but oh well-live and learn!

Up next: Lunch in Mexico, a quick trip over to Hollywood, and back to the Festival!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #68
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry to hear about all of your money troubles lately...

And I'm sorry to hear you had meltdown at AK... but I have to say, we all do!! I have at least one each trip. I usually joke that the good stuff doesn't happen until after the meltdown!

Note to self: Never try three parks in one day!
Old 11-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #69
CW4DW
Waiting to return to the World

Sorry to hear about the car issues... This too shall pass! It will be good to tentatively plan a 2012 trip so you can have something to look forward to! I'll be back in the magical place in 6 days and I can't wait ~ I really need the time away to decompress!

Animal Kingdom day sounds fun - except the whole crabby part, it happens especially when your feet hurt! I see you are wearing sandels which is braver than me - I wear tennis shoes only or else I would be a crabby pattie all the time! My husband already calls me grumpy from time to time and I don't need help with that!

Can't wait for more on this trip - It's getting me pumped up about my trip next week - can't wait to be there. I've even bought a notebook so I can take notes and possibly compile a trip report when I get back (never done it before so we will see)... Keep your chin up with all the money issues!

1st trip ever ~ September 2006 (Pop Century) | Winter Trip ~ January 2007 (Pop Century) | Christmas Trip ~ December 2007 (Riverside) | Honeymoon ~ October 2008 (Riverside) | Spring Break at Disneyland ~ March 2009 | Free Dining ~ September 2009 (Riverside) | Christmas Trip ~ December 2009 (Riverside) | Springtime Trip ~ May 2010 (Riverside) | Christmas Trip ~ November 2010 (Saratoga Springs) | Spring Trip ~ April 2011 (Riverside) | Fall Trip ~ September 2011 (Boardwalk Villas) | Christmas Trip ~ December 2011 (Riverside) | February/March 2012 (Riverside) | September 2012 (Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village) | December 2012 (Old Key West & Riverside)
Old 11-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #70
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Oh, I think we've all been there before with having a meltdown. Even in Disney, we all have our moments. One thing I have found though, much as I love the deluxe resorts, bus service to and from them are not the most efficient.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #71
ty&brenmom
Mouseketeer

Sounds like you and your husband had a great time at WDW. I love reading trip reports about adults going with no kids, as much as I enjoy going with my sons I would love to do an adults only. Also the upgrade to GF is awesome, one of my dream resorts. Sorry about the "rain" in your life, but I agree with everyone else, start thinking about your "future" trip. I have been planning my 2013 trip, since before we were finished with our 2009 trip. Time will fly and when it doesn't you can at least plan.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:05 AM   #72
tinkgurl
Life is what happens in between trips to WDW
Those "flying cookies" flying through space can be seen
I'm hoping that the little guy likes them!

Hi! I just found your TR and loving it! There's so much to comment on already..so I'll just wait for your next update to start.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #73
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

I've never tried Boma for breakfast, and DH didn't care for dinner there, but now you've got me thinking I should schedule a breakfast ADR! I love a good banana bread, and everything else sounds yummy, too!

Sorry about your 'breakdown'... at least you were able to take a break shortly after and enjoy the evening!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #74
DisneyCrafter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
I'm sorry to hear about all of your money troubles lately...

And I'm sorry to hear you had meltdown at AK... but I have to say, we all do!! I have at least one each trip. I usually joke that the good stuff doesn't happen until after the meltdown!

Note to self: Never try three parks in one day!
We're working on being able to bring in more money. I am trying to find a second job (part-time) and we're making some changes to retirement contribution so we can begin saving some emergency $$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW4DW View Post
Sorry to hear about the car issues... This too shall pass! It will be good to tentatively plan a 2012 trip so you can have something to look forward to! I'll be back in the magical place in 6 days and I can't wait ~ I really need the time away to decompress!

Animal Kingdom day sounds fun - except the whole crabby part, it happens especially when your feet hurt! I see you are wearing sandels which is braver than me - I wear tennis shoes only or else I would be a crabby pattie all the time! My husband already calls me grumpy from time to time and I don't need help with that!

Can't wait for more on this trip - It's getting me pumped up about my trip next week - can't wait to be there. I've even bought a notebook so I can take notes and possibly compile a trip report when I get back (never done it before so we will see)... Keep your chin up with all the money issues!
Have a great trip!!! Well, the tennis shoes I brought to wear gave me a big blister to Greg and I were trading off on his gym shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Oh, I think we've all been there before with having a meltdown. Even in Disney, we all have our moments. One thing I have found though, much as I love the deluxe resorts, bus service to and from them are not the most efficient.
I agree about the buses. It made me want to take a cab next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty&brenmom View Post
Sounds like you and your husband had a great time at WDW. I love reading trip reports about adults going with no kids, as much as I enjoy going with my sons I would love to do an adults only. Also the upgrade to GF is awesome, one of my dream resorts. Sorry about the "rain" in your life, but I agree with everyone else, start thinking about your "future" trip. I have been planning my 2013 trip, since before we were finished with our 2009 trip. Time will fly and when it doesn't you can at least plan.
2013 is the year I think I'd like to go back to WDW. I want to go when the Fantasy Land expansion is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkgurl View Post
Hi! I just found your TR and loving it! There's so much to comment on already..so I'll just wait for your next update to start.
Hi there! I should have another update up in the next day or two. I'm moving quickly but it's because I know the holidays are coming and I know I won't be DISing as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
I've never tried Boma for breakfast, and DH didn't care for dinner there, but now you've got me thinking I should schedule a breakfast ADR! I love a good banana bread, and everything else sounds yummy, too!

Sorry about your 'breakdown'... at least you were able to take a break shortly after and enjoy the evening!
You really should try Boma. I'm intrigued by their dinner as well. Yes, breaks are always welcomed!!

Old 11-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #75
DisneyCrafter
DIS Veteran

Just Another Day in the Happiest Place on Earth!

Weíre quickly approaching the end of the trip but the fun is far from over!! I actually think the end of the trip had some of my most favorite times. Today, we headed over to Epcot first thing. After some discussion, we decided that we would try to have lunch at San Angel as opposed to dinner because it would allow for more flexibility in our day. This is one decision that really paid off. As soon as we were through the gates we booked it over to Mexico to see if we could walk-up. We actually got there a bit before it opened and we were the first ones seated in the restaurant! We sat right along the water. I just LOVE the ambiance of this restaurant.

Greg and I both ordered a margarita right away, who cares that it was 1130ÖAM! Ha! Ha! We almost ordered the guacamole but Iím glad we didnít because I would have been to full to eat my entire meal. Let me just say that Greg and I did everything but lick the plate of both of our meals! Holy Cow! Unfortunately because of the lighting in the building and my lackluster pocket digital camera, the pictures didnít turn out. I had Tampiquena Con Chilaquiles - Grilled beef tenderloin served with Chilaquiles (layers of fried corn tortilla, green toa chicken enchilada topped with ranchera sauce and esquites) and Greg had Enchiladas Verdes de Pollo - Corn tortilla stuffed with chicken, topped with sour cream, fresh cheese and onions, covered with green tomatilla sauce, and served with black beans. The flavor of my steak was out of this world. It was the BEST steak I had on property-thus far. Desserts werenít amazing and I didnít really enjoy my Flan but Gregís white chocolate moose was pretty good. We will DEFINITELY be eating here again!

After we finished lunch and took a ride on the boat ride in Mexico, we headed over to DHS to see the Voyage of the Little Mermaid show. The Friendship boat we were on this time definitely moved faster-that or maybe by this time in the trip I wised up and just sat and enjoyed not walking! Ha! Ha! DHS was definitely more packed this day than earlier in the week. We lucked out and were able to get for the next showing of VOTLM. However, I feel like we waited forever to be let in the theatre and I wasnít the only one because people clapped when the doors finally opened. It was a cute show and I feel like it was the perfect length. After it was over we headed over to Animation Academy and took part in another class where we drew the Little Green Alien from Toy Story. When we were walking out someone commented on how good my drawing was and Greg just shook his head (in a playful way of course). I canít help it that Iím amazing. LOL.

We then walked over to RnRC & ToT to check out the wait times but they were both at an hour or more so we said forget it and got back on the Friendship boat and headed back to Epcot.

When we got back to EPCOT we took our time walking through World Showcase and sampling things from the F&W booths. (I promise I will post all my food pictures from the F&W fest but Iím saving the best for last!) We rode Maelstrom and it was okay. Definitely not a must do IMO. We also browsed the shops but Greg and I both commented on how expensive everything seemed. Iím not sure what time we left but it was definitely before Illuminations. We werenít worried about seeing that yet as we would be able to see it tomorrow night as a part of the Dessert Party! Woo!

Up Next: Another visit to AK and just how many times could we visit Epcot in one trip?!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: