Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #91
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Have you thought about trying light therapy? I know that there are special very bright lamps which offer nearly all the light in natural daylight and supposedly being exposed to them every day after you get up really helps against seasonal moods. A colleague of mine has this and swears by it and I have seen a TV-programm about it. It might be something worth investigating.
I might have to look into that. I get messed up every year when the clocks change. I get really blue. I oversleep all the time - it's crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
Look at you in that sassy dress, miss! I LOVE IT!!!

Thanks for describing the expo, and I'm happy you had a relaxing day. Sometimes...may the DIS Gods not strike me down...it's nice not to be in the parks.
I love that dress! I bought it when I bought the bathing suit. I couldn't resist.

It was great easing my way into Disney. I might have to try it again the next time.

Quote:
I missed your update because we posted at the same time: great update!

I found the WoS pics very interesting. I would have expected a much more utiliatarian look, but this looks lovely.

Oh and this orange thingie has my name written all over it!! Since I am planning to stay at BWV for my next trip, I will make sure to try this early in the trip in order to be able to have it again if I like it as much as I expect to like it from your description!
I'm really glad I got to see a part of Disney I never saw before. It actually reminded me a lot of the architecture over at the Hard Rock Hotel. I too was really surprised at how welcoming it was. I expected lots of fields and boring buildings.

The orange thing was great. You have to try one if your love orange/cream things at all. So good!

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 11-18-2010, 05:52 AM   #92
lovealldisney
Lover of all things Disney!

Quote:
Have you thought about trying light therapy? I know that there are special very bright lamps which offer nearly all the light in natural daylight and supposedly being exposed to them every day after you get up really helps against seasonal moods. A colleague of mine has this and swears by it and I have seen a TV-programm about it. It might be something worth investigating.

Hi I think you have seasonal affective disorder and its very commen! Here is a link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasona...ctive_disorder

I work in the medical field and we just had a lecture on this! And yes Magdalene is right about the light therapy. I would see your doctor about it hopefully they would be able to give you a prescription for the light itself. I wouldn't try to purchase one on your own you want to make sure you are getting the correct amount of light dosage and you need a doctor for this.

Great update and I would have been all over the dreamscicle shake thing too! YUM!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #93
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovealldisney View Post
Hi I think you have seasonal affective disorder and its very commen! Here is a link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasona...ctive_disorder

I work in the medical field and we just had a lecture on this! And yes Magdalene is right about the light therapy. I would see your doctor about it hopefully they would be able to give you a prescription for the light itself. I wouldn't try to purchase one on your own you want to make sure you are getting the correct amount of light dosage and you need a doctor for this.

Great update and I would have been all over the dreamscicle shake thing too! YUM!
Thanks for the link. I'm definitely going to have to talk to my doctor about this. It happens every year like clockwork in the fall when the days start getting shorter. Eventually I adjust a bit, but the first months a just awful. I don't think it helps either that I work in a windowless cave. I hate not having even access to a window to see the outdoors.

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 11-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #94
lovealldisney
Lover of all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
Thanks for the link. I'm definitely going to have to talk to my doctor about this. It happens every year like clockwork in the fall when the days start getting shorter. Eventually I adjust a bit, but the first months a just awful. I don't think it helps either that I work in a windowless cave. I hate not having even access to a window to see the outdoors.
Glad to be of help. I would ask your doctor to check your vitamin D level as well. DH although he doesn't suffer from seasonal effect disorder, he was a while ago feeling tired and less energenic, it turns out his vitamin D was extremely low. Remember we do get vitamin D from the sun so it would make sense to have that checked as well. His doctor prescribed him a higher dose of vitamin D but it took about 3 months before it was at a normal level.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #95
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
I don't think it helps either that I work in a windowless cave. I hate not having even access to a window to see the outdoors.
That sounds really horrible to me as well! I am very glad that I have a window, even when the weather is grey outside!

Could you go outside in your lunch break?
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2010 TR 2010 PTR 2011 TR Dining Reviews:2009 2008 2007
From the Sea to the World - Spring 2013 Trip Report - DCL and WDW
Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #96
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovealldisney View Post
Glad to be of help. I would ask your doctor to check your vitamin D level as well. DH although he doesn't suffer from seasonal effect disorder, he was a while ago feeling tired and less energenic, it turns out his vitamin D was extremely low. Remember we do get vitamin D from the sun so it would make sense to have that checked as well. His doctor prescribed him a higher dose of vitamin D but it took about 3 months before it was at a normal level.
I'll have that checked out too. I've been incredibly sluggish lately too. I'm finding it really hard to get up the energy to do much of anything lately. I feel like I need a perpetual nap. It's so not easy getting older!

Quote:
That sounds really horrible to me as well! I am very glad that I have a window, even when the weather is grey outside!

Could you go outside in your lunch break?
It is a really depressing work environment. I wish I had known where my work area was going to be before I started working here. When I had gone for my interview it was on one of the regular floors filled with big windows overlooking Rockefeller Center and Central Park, lots of sunlight, chrome and light wood. It's very modern and beautiful. On my first day I was brought to my department -in a completely interior space 30 floors away from the beautiful modern offices. Down here we are filled with flourescent lighting and boxes of paperwork lining every available free wall space. If I want to know if it's raining out I need to go online and check before I head out. I despise it. It just gets to you after awhile.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #97
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

The One Where My Vacation is Nearly Ruined

Our dinner ADR wasn't until 7:45, but I wanted to pick up our MNSSHP tickets at the MK will call window. I also had a very import photo I wanted to stop for before it got too dark. Again, we had headed down to the bus stop which really felt miles away. There is definitely a correlation between the level of Disney hotel you are staying at and how far away you will be walking to the buses. At All Star Sports last year the bus stop was right outside the side door. At POFQ it's a short walk from the main building. I've stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, The Boardwalk and the Beach Club and at all of them your definitely making a hike to get to the bus stops. There were a few people waiting for the bus when we got down there dressed for MNSSHP that night. A few of the kids already were complaining about their costumes. We only had to wait a few minutes and a bus had arrived.

There was a bit of a line at the Will Call window at the MK, but it was moving along. I think people thought I was dressed as a sailor girl or something for the party, because I received a few compliments on my "costume". We were just about next in line when a CM started chatting with us to see what we were waiting in line for. He was French, and absolutely adorable, and yes I felt very old for even thinking such things! Still I was having fun chatting with him while we waited. He pulled us out of line, and went into the office to pick up our tickets. I chatted with him a few more minutes, and then I sadly let him go back to work wishing I could find one like him in an older model. Still I had my photo to stop for over at the Poly. I had to stop for a picture with my Tiki. I want to make it a new tradition on my trips. He was there waiting for me, but I wish they'd trim the brush around him. It's not terribly dignified to be climbing into the bushes when your in a dress. My first picture with my Tiki back in 1979 -

And the new, can it really be over 30 years later, version -

Once I happily had my picture taken we hopped back on the monorail and headed over to the Contemporary. There was a bit of a line to check into the the California Grill, and we had to wait for a bit once we had our pager. At least there was plenty of room to sit while you waited, but the seats weren't particularly comfy. They were all slick, pretty and modern looking, but they were awfully low. I have short legs and I thought they were low. They were a bit difficult to get up from once the pager when off. I was hoping we'd get seats in the Wine room again, but we got just a plain old seat in the middle of the room fairly close to the sushi area. Not great, but it was fine.

We decided to share a the Chef's Garden flatbread for our appetizer, heirloom tomatoes with mozzarella, balsamic onions and basil. It was absolutely delicious. The tomatoes were some of the most flavorful tomatoes I've had in a long time.

For dinner I had the oak-fired filet, but I forgot to take any pictures. Sorry! It was so good I had eaten most of it before I remembered to take a picture. Sadly this was the last thing I really enjoyed eating that night. Not because my desert was bad, but because my entire vacation nearly went up in flames right about this point.

I had finished my entrée and my friend and I were relaxing over the last of our wine, chatting when I went into my wallet to get my license out to show my friend. I can't remember now why I had to show it to her, because all I remember was that it wasn't there. My ID was gone. I searched through my tiny wrist bag, and through every pocket of my even tinier wallet trying to find it. Nothing. I was panic stricken. How in the world would I ever get home without my ID was the only thing going through my head. I'd never get be allowed on the plane. I didn't even know where my expired passport and birth certificate where at home if I had to have some Fedex it to me. It was a horrible feeling. I was envisioning my entire vacation ruined, because I was an airheaded twit who lost her license on her first day at Disney.

I was trying to think back to when I had it last. I knew I had it at the expo, because I had to show it to get my packet. That was the last time I remembered. My friend though was convinced that I had it just a short while before when we had picked up our MNSSHP tickets. I didn't remember that at all, convinced that I had only given the CM my online receipt. I didn't want to ruin the rest of my friend's dinner so I insisted that we finish our desserts and stay to see the fireworks. My mind though was a million miles away.

I had the bananas and caramel dessert.

It was good, but my enjoyment was tempered by the utter fear going on in my head. I loved the layers of phyllo pastry and the bananas. The brittle stuff on top was okay, but it was a bit too crunchy for me. I liked it, but I would have definitely preferred more frozen sunshine. Not terribly classy I know, but hey - the way to my heart is through icecream.

My friend had the Valrhona chocolate cake. She said it was pretty good.

We finished paying the bill just as the fireworks were starting, so we headed out to the back roof-top deck to watch the show. Both decks were really crowded for the show. Much more crowded than when I had been out there in March. I tried to enjoy the fireworks as much as possible. Normally I love the Halloween party fireworks, and it was killing me that I couldn't really enjoy them.

When they were over we headed back over to the will-call window at the Magic Kingdom. My friend was pretty insistent that I had given my ID to the cute french guy to pick up my tickets so it was worth a shot. There was no one at the window when we got there and asked yet another incredibly goodlooking CM if anyone had found my ID. (Seriously why are they hiding them at a will-call window? ) He went off to check, and moments later my french cutie came up to the window with my ID. He was so apologetic and sweet that he had forgotten to give it back to me. I told him I was just happy and relieved that he had it. Obviously I was spending too much time flirting with the CM, and not enough time paying attention. I guess there's a lesson to be learned there somewhere, because I have no memory of handing that man my ID.

With my ID safely back in my wallet (where I guarded it like a hawk the rest of my vacation) we headed back to the Beach Club for a good nights rest before the big day.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #98
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

What a scare!! I am so glad that you got it back! And the tiki picture is wonderful. I think you got compliments on your costume because of the retro style of your dress - btw, you look fantastic in that dress, it suits you great and the colour is lovely.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2010 TR 2010 PTR 2011 TR Dining Reviews:2009 2008 2007
From the Sea to the World - Spring 2013 Trip Report - DCL and WDW
Old 11-18-2010, 01:32 PM   #99
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:

What a scare!! I am so glad that you got it back! And the tiki picture is wonderful. I think you got compliments on your costume because of the retro style of your dress - btw, you look fantastic in that dress, it suits you great and the colour is lovely.
I was so petrified that it was gone for good! I'm always losing something, but never my ID. That and my train ticket are the two things I'm always checking constantly to be sure if it's there. I was baffled at what I had done with it.

Thanks about the dress too! I love the company that makes them. It looked great and was incredibly comfortable. I caved this week and bought myself a new Christmas dress from them. I'm dying for it to get here.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #100
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

All caught up Sometimes it is so nice to take a relaxing trip to DW and not worry about rushing to see everything. That is one of the nice things about going to Disney often. You can lose that sense of urgency.

Wow what a scare to lose your DL. I would have been so worried too.

I had left my camera at Chef Mickeys and realized it after we got to the car, when my camera case felt real light. Luckily I had left it on the table and DH ran up to the check in area and was able to get it back.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #101
Tracy161
DIS Veteran

Eeeck! So sorry you had to go through that during an otherwise nice dinner and fabulous fireworks! I would have been the SAME exact way though... when something like that happens, I have a one track mind until the issue is resolved. SO happy you got it back without any delay! Good looking guys... they seem to have that effect on us sometimes, huh?!
Old 11-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #102
Shannon84
DIS Veteran

YAY so glad you found your id...I know I would be worried about it the whole time too...hopefully you were able to enjoy dinner/fireworks somewhat at least

that frozen sunshine you had in theother update looked SO good, I am on a mission to get one next trip!!

I love your tradition of picture with the tiki!! I love special memories like that
Old 11-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #103
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
All caught up Sometimes it is so nice to take a relaxing trip to DW and not worry about rushing to see everything. That is one of the nice things about going to Disney often. You can lose that sense of urgency.

Wow what a scare to lose your DL. I would have been so worried too.

I had left my camera at Chef Mickeys and realized it after we got to the car, when my camera case felt real light. Luckily I had left it on the table and DH ran up to the check in area and was able to get it back.
The more times I go to Disney, the more I want to just take it easy. It's so much more enjoyable that way.

I lost my sunglasses back in December. I think they fell out of my pocket on RnR. Sadly they were never found. I don't know what I would have done had I really lost my license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy161 View Post
Eeeck! So sorry you had to go through that during an otherwise nice dinner and fabulous fireworks! I would have been the SAME exact way though... when something like that happens, I have a one track mind until the issue is resolved. SO happy you got it back without any delay! Good looking guys... they seem to have that effect on us sometimes, huh?!
He was terribly distracting.

My mind was completely occupied. My friend was really great about it. She was ready to leave right away to go find it, but I didn't want to ruin the plans. I figured if it was lost it was lost. Missing the fireworks and dessert weren't going to help turn it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon84 View Post
YAY so glad you found your id...I know I would be worried about it the whole time too...hopefully you were able to enjoy dinner/fireworks somewhat at least

that frozen sunshine you had in theother update looked SO good, I am on a mission to get one next trip!!

I love your tradition of picture with the tiki!! I love special memories like that
I just went back to find the Tiki in December. I want to make it a habit now. Hopefully someday there will be a picture of me old and grey with my Tiki.

I highly recomend making a point to get a Frozen Sunshine!

Old 11-20-2010, 02:50 AM   #104
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Did you know YOU are the one who inspired me to have fun with the tikis?? Yes, YOU!!! I ended up with some really cute ones that I'm excited to show you in my TR. Not sure they're as cute as you lead me to believe that French hottie was though. Yes, I noticed that too, there were a lot of them behind window, or in back, out of the way places.

I like a story with a good ending!!! I'm sooooooooooo glad you found your ID, but a bit sad you had that on your mind during dessert and WISHES. BOO! I know that feeling well, and it is hard to enjoy anything when you know a big headache is looming- it's happened many times with our passports.

I KNOW I have SAD; and it sounds like you do too. PLEASE, Crissy, get it checked out, so you can get through winter without the gloom I know it can bring.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #105
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Something New

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the possible February trip lately. Wondering if my wallet is up to the peak season prices on everything, and if I'm mentally and physically ready to tackle another half marathon right now. I kept going back and forth on it. The practical part of me keeps telling me it's crazy to spend the amount of money this trip will cost just for a weekend trip. My heart tells me it really wants to go be a princess for a few days. Yet another part of me is telling me I'm just not up to it right now.

And at the moment that's what it's coming down to right now for me.

A really good childhood friend of mine passed away last week, suddenly, and completely without any warning at all. We'd fallen out of contact over the years, but had reconnected a year or two ago via Facebook. I had enjoyed getting to chat with her online. She was very much into the arts and theater and was always sharing fascinating links about poets, artists, plays, musicians - whatever she found enlivining and beautiful. She worked for a theater and was living her life surrounded at work and play with things that she loved. She passed away two days before her 40th birthday, without warning, from a pulmunary embolism.

She is one of several friends I've lost way too young. It's really been making me think this week. My friend was spending her life doing things that made her feel alive and happy. If something was to happen to me today could I say the same thing? How am I spending my life?

The answer? No. Not really. I'm doing what I need to do to keep food on the table, and a roof over my head. Not much more than that. My job used to be okay. Not great, or wonderful, but okay. When the economy started to tank, my firm took it as a sign to start treating their staff like dirt. They took just about every perk they could away and have made the working environment so lousy it's miserable to be at work most days. If my firm was doing badly it would be more understandable, but they've rebounded well. They're doing it just because they can. Because they know we can't just run off and easily get another job. I've had enough. I'm tired of spending my days pretending that just being greatful to have a job is enough. Because honestly, it's not. I need more. I don't necessarily need more money (although that wouldn't hurt), but more things that make me feel alive. I have enough things that drain the life out of me for 7 hours a day.

Disney World is one of the things I love, but planning for February is just bringing me stress - the money, the planning, the training. The timing is just not right, so I've decided to pass on going this trip. Making that decision was a relief. I talked with my brother about my training, and instead of training for the Princess half, I'm going to try to do a few 5k's and then in the fall possibly do a 10k or half at home someplace. Something where I can register when I feel it's right for me and it won't cost me over a hundred dollars just to register. Possibly in the fall I might think about re-doing the Wine and Dine, but if not I'll do a Disney race in 2012. I really feel like I need a Disney break though. I really have been thinking I need to do something different this year.

My decision was really made for me when I was doing a bit of web-searching one night, and I found somewhere that I just have to go next year.

Art camp!

As soon as I ran across the Squam Art Workshops I was hit with a feeling that I just have to be there. I don't know when I've ever felt a place calling out to me quite like this. They run two sessions up in New Hampshire at a campground on Squam Lake. Just look, it's stunningly beautiful. What a wonderful place to spend a long weekend.

It's not outdoor camping either, but cabins doting the lake. All have their own bathrooms, and old-fashioned ice-chests that they fill with ice harvested from the lake in the winter. The pictures make me think of the movie Dirty Dancing.

They run two sessions up in New Hampshire. In the spring when I want to go the course offerings are fiber related. Most of them are knitting classes along with other fiber arts like spinning. I'm actually tempted to try something completely out of my comfort zone though for at least a class or two. Part of me would love to try taking a painting class, even though I can't draw at all. I'll have to see when the registration begins. Push myself a bit to try something new and creative. I just might love it. They have a fall session which is more focused on traditional art, but they still normally offer a few art classes in the spring. I just have to find out if I would be completely lost with no art background in them. I'd love to try it though!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: