Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #16
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaBella05 View Post
joining in
Welcome!

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 10-15-2010, 03:36 AM   #17
nodnol
Mouseketeer

Hi Crissy, I#m here and ollking forward to your TR! I have a huge respect for your accomplishment!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2010, 04:26 AM   #18
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

I am here for all the fun!
Old 10-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #19
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

I'm in!! I can't wait to read more!!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #20
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnol View Post
Hi Crissy, I#m here and ollking forward to your TR! I have a huge respect for your accomplishment!
Thanks so much. I'm appreciating what I did more as time goes on a bit. That night was a bit overwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I am here for all the fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilisis View Post
I'm in!! I can't wait to read more!!
Glad to have you here!

I hope to have my first real post up this weekend. I came down with what I think is a respirtory infection on vacation, and I'm still not quite right yet. Either I can't sleep because I'm hacking all night, or I'm completely exhausted and can't keep my eyes open.

I promise I'm working on it though!

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 10-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #21
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

Woo Hoo and congrats Chrissy!!! What a fabulous thing to accomplish! From one girl who did everything and anything in High School to avoid gym class I have to WOW! I too have contemplated taking up running! I keep going back and forth about it! I can't wait to hear more!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #22
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
It's a song from Sword in the Stone. I love that movie and couldn't resist it since I could make a rhyme. I can so easily entertain myself sometimes.

I'm here!

I wasn't sure about the title either. We do have that movie, but it is still in the package. I might just have to check it out now.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #23
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Day 1 - Why the *Bleep* do I keep Flying out at 6:30 am?

I am not a morning person.

I know I've stated that before on other trip reports, but I can't stress enough how much I am not a morning person. Not one little, itsy-bitsy part of me is a morning person. Therefore it is baffling that I keep taking jobs and planning trips that require me to leave at ungodly hours of the morning. Case in point, this trip. Once again, my overwhelming love and desire to spend as much time as possible in Disney had me booking a 6:30 am flight.

It really says a lot about how much I love Disney.

I live about a little over an hour away from White Plains airport in good weather with no traffic. At that hour at least I knew I wasn't going to be dealing with any commuter traffic, but the weather was looking to be a bit of an issue. The entire east coast had been being hit with torrential rains, and winds the day before I was set to leave. Flights had been cancelled at my airport, so I wanted to be sure I left for the airport early in case any roads were flooded. I was alternately paranoid that my flight was going to be cancelled and I'd be stuck in New York, and terrified that if we did take off the flight was going to be a horrible bumpy mess.

My alarm went off at about 3am, and by 4am I was on the road with my father, who had graciously offered to drive me to the airport. I love my family. Only people who really love you will do crazy stuff like drive you to the airport at 4am in the middle of a storm. Luckily the roads weren't too bad and we arrived at the airport a little after 5am. One of the things I love most about flying out of White Plains airport is it's small size, although there are some concessions like no curbside checkin. When I got there that morning a few of the airlines had lines waiting to check their luggage in, but there was no line at the Jet Blue counter except for right at the desk. I worked my way through the the roped off lines, and just as the next counter became available I got cut off by some man who seemed to think he was above having to wait in the line. The poor woman working the counter was trying to tell him he'd have to wait, as I was next, but his entitled, annoying rear end wasn't budging. I told the woman I was fine waiting. It wasn't worth listening to the idiot. People like that really drive me nuts.

In less than 5 minutes I had my bag weighed and tagged and had rolled it over to the screening area to be checked in. I still had plenty of time on my hands, and my flight wasn't being called to go through TSA yet, so I headed to the café on the upper level for a bit of breakfast. When I was done, my flight still wasn't being called to go through TSA so I grabbed a seat outside the café overlooking the gates and relaxed for awhile. Because of the small size of White Plains they call a few flights at a time to go through TSA so the gates don't get too crowded. If you want to go through before your called you can, but I prefer to just wait upstairs. There is never more than just a few people up there, and it's much more comfortable than being crammed in with a few hundred people and all their carry on stuff. Eventually they called my flight for TSA screening so I headed down. Love that it took probably less than 5 minutes to get though the check.

That is a picture I borrowed of the gates and seating area at White Plains. All of them, just to give you an idea of the size. Like I said, it's small. The morning I left was one of the busiest mornings I've ever flown out of there too. The airport's primary customers are business travelers, so I'm guessing that lots of people are traveling home on Friday mornings. I usually fly out on the Saturday morning 6am flight and it's always been really quiet.

The one bad thing about flying out of White Plains is that the people flying out of there will run you down to be one of the first ones on the plane. I've never seen anything like it anywhere else. I always feel bad for the poor person making the seating announcements. As soon as they start talking, the people are crowding in around the desk like a bunch of zombies in for the kill. First call was for guests in the extra leg room seats. The crowd pulling in closer, as the handful of extra leg room guests tried to fight their way through. Then the call was for guests needing extra help as well as guests with small children. I was sitting back highly entertained watching the crowd close in on the poor attendant watching people try to convince her that their 13 year old teenager should qualify them for this priviledge. It's just nuts. It never fails that the people pushing the most are always in row 1 or so and are in the last group called. I was in row 5 this trip so I got to watch the entire boarding spectacle.

Finally I boarded, and was really surprised to find that there were from what I could see at any rate, there were no kids on my flight at all. No kids on a flight to Orlando. I'm typing that now, and still can't believe it. For once there was no screaming kicking child in back of me. Heaven! I ended up with the nicest woman sitting next to me who was going down to Orlando to surprise her mom for her birthday. It was nice having someone to chat with for a bit to get my mind off of the horrible weather outside. I was sitting there waiting for the plane to finish loading just watching the rain sheet down. I'll admit it was making me a wee bit nervous.

The plane was finally loaded and we took off early. The rest of the flight was blissfully uneventful. Perhaps even one of the nicest flights I've ever been on. It was wonderfully quiet, and once we were up in the air just a half hour or so the flight became smoth as glass, plus I had a really nice person to talk to for awhile. I knit a bit, while watching a few Mad Men episodes and before I knew it we were landing in Orlando. Seriously I need more flights like that.

The best thing about being in row 5 is that I was off the plane and on the mini-monorail in record time. Now I just needed to hunt down my friend.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #24
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmyboy View Post
Woo Hoo and congrats Chrissy!!! What a fabulous thing to accomplish! From one girl who did everything and anything in High School to avoid gym class I have to WOW! I too have contemplated taking up running! I keep going back and forth about it! I can't wait to hear more!
I was so good at avoiding gym! It may be one of the greatest talents I've ever had. I was telling a friend from high school about the race, and she was completely shocked that I had done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
I'm here!

I wasn't sure about the title either. We do have that movie, but it is still in the package. I might just have to check it out now.
It's not the best movie ever, but I love it anyways. I'm a huge fan of the book "The Once and Future King" part of which it's based on. There is a great dueling wizards scene between Merlin, and Mad Madam Mim in it. I love it for that scene alone.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #25
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

You know, it really gives new meaning to the concept of a cattle call.

I wish, wish, wish, that people would calm down while flying. I don't like flying one bit, but I'm calm when boarding a plane, you know? You're all getting on, you're all going to the same place...the front doesn't get there any faster than the back.

Well, except by virtue of it being the front. Bad example.

Anyway, I applaud you for taking an early flight. I've done it once with the DS and swore never again. I will actually :::GASP::: miss time in the World than deal with the level of cranky we all had going on that day.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #26
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad your flight went smoothly! So glad!!

I don't get the rush either, even with Southwest now where people line up according to their numbers there is a mad dash. Drives me crazy, the competition to be first. Oy.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #27
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

That’s great that your flight went so smoothly. I was thinking of you the morning your flight left (we were having that same awful weather) & hoping that it wouldn’t impact your flight at all. I can’t wait to read more!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #28
Shannon84
DIS Veteran

Joining in I ran my first half at the wine and dine race and it was such a fun experience...cannot wait to hear more about your trip!!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #29
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
You know, it really gives new meaning to the concept of a cattle call.

I wish, wish, wish, that people would calm down while flying. I don't like flying one bit, but I'm calm when boarding a plane, you know? You're all getting on, you're all going to the same place...the front doesn't get there any faster than the back.

Well, except by virtue of it being the front. Bad example.
I don't understand the purpose of the craziness. Especially flying on an airline that still lets you pick out your seat. It's saved especially for you. White Plains is really the worst I've ever seen though. Maybe it's because it's so small. Once your in the gate area there is no escaping people.

I never used to be bothered by flying, but the older I get the more it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
Anyway, I applaud you for taking an early flight. I've done it once with the DS and swore never again. I will actually :::GASP::: miss time in the World than deal with the level of cranky we all had going on that day.
I don't think I'd ever try it with the nieces. They'd actually probably be better than me though. They tend to be early birds. My older niece is terribly jealous that I got to fly to Florida in 3 hours. She does not like being in the car, and was a bit grumpy that she had to spend two days in the car getting to Disney. I feel for her. That drive makes me grumpy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I'm so glad your flight went smoothly! So glad!!

I don't get the rush either, even with Southwest now where people line up according to their numbers there is a mad dash. Drives me crazy, the competition to be first. Oy.
I've still yet to fly Southwest, so I haven't seen how those crowds are. I always want to try it, but for me it's still cheaper to fly JetBlue out of New York over Southwest in Hartford. I don't understand why there aren't better deals out of Hartford. Much as I love White Plains, Hartford is almost as good, plus it has plenty of parking.

The crowds though drive me crazy. Plus it never helps us get moving any faster. I'm always a bit amazed how long it takes some of those people to stash their stuff and sit down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilisis View Post
That’s great that your flight went so smoothly. I was thinking of you the morning your flight left (we were having that same awful weather) & hoping that it wouldn’t impact your flight at all. I can’t wait to read more!
The weather was so awful that morning. The attendent who checked my luggage in told me I was lucky I was on the first flight out, since my plane was already there. They were expecting delays later on as flights would be having difficulties landing.

I felt worse for my poor parents. After dropping me off they were driving up to New Hampshire for their own vacation. They had that pouring rain the entire trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon84 View Post
Joining in I ran my first half at the wine and dine race and it was such a fun experience...cannot wait to hear more about your trip!!
Thanks for joining in. I ended up enjoying the race more than I was expecting. ( I had made myself a physical and mental wreck worrying about it beforehand). I'm going to have to check out your trip report!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #30
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Run like a Princess?

Just a quick note to say that my plans for taking some time off from another Disney trip for awhile may be falling away already. (Seriously, does Disney put something in the water to get us to keep coming back?)

I may be headed to Disney the last week of February to do the Princess Half Marathon. Maybe. To jump just a bit ahead in this current trip report, my BFF I was traveling with ended up being swept during the half marathon. She had a really good attitude about it overall, since like me she knew she was iffy on the time limit going in, but she wants another chance to get her medal. She also has a cousin who is doing the princess, and would like to try again then.

For me it's going to come down to two things. One, do I really want to train through the winter for this race? I'm treadmill phobic (is there a real name for that?) so all my running is done outside, which will be really brutal those last few weeks in Jan. and Feb before the race.

The other factor is money. If I go this trip will only be a weekend getaway. The lovely planners at Disney planned this marathon weekend in the middle of peak season. Even the value rooms are about $140 a night or so. The worst part though are prices on the Monday flights home. Ugh! I checked out JetBlue's site yesterday and all of them were over $200. Flights down were fine, but that Monday is just ugly. Of course Tuesday they had flights home for under $100.

So nothing set in stone yet, but I may be running like a princess in a few months! Hopefully if I get to go I'll get a chance to meet up with some of the other Diser's going then.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: