Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #136
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
You threw the rule book out the window!

My decadent influence is spreading!
It's only a matter of time before pirates take over the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Hi Crissy! It's been ever so long since I've posted here!! So sorry!! It's so hard keeping up these days with the holidays and family and then a funeral/travel.

Your GF breakfast looked divine!! YUM!! Thanks for the eye candy tonight, Sweetie!
I know what you mean. I don't even want to admit to how far behind I've fallen on your thread.

It was a great breakfast. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Love it!!!

I am always so thrilled that through Chelsea and her natural goofiness, she has been instrumental in getting Bo lots of attention and love.
You just know there are CM's wondering why all these people are stopping for Bo pictures lately!

Quote:
You are too funny, TK! Yes, your decadent influence has spread much wider than you could imagine! I am not even planning on making a list of must-dos for this trip -- we are just going to go with the flow. It worked so well last trip!
See - it's just a matter of time!

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 01-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #137
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelmom View Post
Just found your TR and congratulations on running. I admire people who can do it. I have a hard enough time making myself get on the awful treadmill much less running. I'm looking forward to hearing more.
I'd never be able to do it on a treadmill. I can barely bring myself to walk fast on the stupid things. Last year I went flying off of one (2xs) now I suffer from treadmill phobia. My nieces think it's pretty funny. They keep trying to get me on the one at their house, but I can't. They even offer to surround the thing with pillows.

I really do more walking than running. I weigh too much to put that much pounding on my body. Hopefully next year I'll be able to do more running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
Yeah a new post

Happy New Year.

The parks at Halloween time look so awesome. That is on my list to see at least once. I love how the parks had low crowds. What could be better than that nice weather and no crowds.

So are all the seats at the SciFi facing like that? I always want to try to eat there but we have 5 and I really need to face my kids when they are eating. Don't want them throwing food at each other
Happy New Year!

I love the parks at Halloween. This is my second time going then, and it's my favorite. The first time I went though we had horrible weather - hot, humid and rainy. It was the same week we had gone this last time. I think the further you get into October though the better the weather, and the smaller the crowds. I think it's a perfect time of year to go.

I think they may have a few "flying saucer" tables around the perimeter that are more traditional tables, but for the most part all the seats are two by two in the cars. Each car has three rows. We shared our car with a man eating with his two sons. It is a bit odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy161 View Post
So glad that you went to Sci-Fi! I went there for the first time on my last trip and loved it... but also thought it was odd that it was so quiet! Can't wait to hear about the race. Hope your year is off to a good start!
I'm so glad it wasn't just me with how quiet it was in there! So non-typical for a Disney restaurant.

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #138
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Race Day! Part 2

After our leisurely morning in the parks, my BFF and I headed back to the Beach Club for a bit of a nap before we had to get ready to head over to the WWoS complex. We quickly learned that our great pool view upgrade room at the Beach Club wasn't without it's downfalls. We lied down to find that our great pool view room was quite a bit noisy in the middle of the afternoon. It wasn't the hotel guests that were noisy, but the organized activities that were going on. Things were going on continuously, all of which had to be announced and conducted using a bull horn and very loud music. It was next to impossible to nap while the Cha Cha Slide is playing right outside your window. Nevertheless we tried, and at least lied down for a while getting off our feet for awhile.

I wanted to try to meet up with a friend that I hadn't seen since college who lives in Florida and was going to be running the race with Team in Training so we headed to the WWoS pretty early. On the way over we met a really fun couple on their way to the race where they were doing the relay. They were a lot of fun, and we spent a bunch of time snapping pictures of each other and laughing while waiting for the bus. I was still feeling really good, and finish or not I was content.

We were at the fields super early (say 6:30 ish or so). The good point was that we were able to check our bags before things got completely crazy by bag check. I was getting a bit silly taking some pictures before we checked our cameras. You can tell we were early in this shot. In no time at all, the fields behind me in this shot were filled with people.

It took awhile to find my friend. First we wandered around the fields, where I ran into several friends from an online Disney running site I had been visiting. (Thumbs up for matching red logo t-shirts!) Then we headed back to the entrance to the fields to wait for my friend. Easier said than done. Just try finding a friend you haven't seen in nearly 20 years in a great wash of people! I had seen some recent pictures of her on facebook, so I had a bit of an idea of what she looked like now. Really I was just going by a "redhead wearing purple". Somehow, between searching the crowd, and texting back and forth we found each other. She had run a few Disney races, so it was great hanging around with her and her team. She had great tips for us, and had a better idea than us where to go. She steered us into our starting corral pretty early. Probably a good thing. Having a few extra moments really helped me out in the end I think. She had brought her camera with her, so she snapped a pic of my friend and I as we were waiting to start.

Here's the view from where we were positioned in the corral.

Lots of purple people! We couldn't see much of anything at all. We could hear Mickey and Minnie starting the race, and could hear the other corrals starting, but we weren't going anywhere right away. The starting line would have looked pretty impressive if you could have seen it.

On my end, all I saw was people shuffling towards the start line, and this -

The realization that this was about really happen was kicking in. I did happen to catch a glimpse of Mickey and Minnie as we went by. (These are official Disney pics not mine). They looked cute in their chef gear.

But at any rate, we were off! At first it was so crowded all we could do was walk slowly, but shortly the crowd started to break up a bit, and I was able to start my intervals. I was trying to keep up with my friend, but it was hard. Her rate was a bit faster than what I had been training at. I knew I couldn't keep up at that rate for very long. Still I hung in there for awhile. I lost my BFF fairly early. One moment she was behind me, and the next she was gone. We didn't meet up again until the end of the race. I lost my Florida friend shortly after. I realized there was no use in killing myself early trying to go too fast. At only a mile or so in I was on my own.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #139
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Your pictures really gave a good sense of how crowed a Disney race can be! Yikes! The 2 5Ks I've done have been really small events and nothing like the cattle pens the Disney one looks like! Nevertheless, I can sense your excitement, and the end, I'm glad you didn't try to keep up the pace with your friends!! You might not have been able to finish in the end.

Mickey and Minnie are so cute- how fun to get to start a race off with so much hoopla! Someday, I'd really love to run one there!!

Old 01-04-2011, 04:19 AM   #140
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

How exciting to be off!!! What an experience, Crissy!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:53 AM   #141
Tracy161
DIS Veteran

I got an adrenaline rush just reading about your experience! I can't wait to read more!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #142
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

The few races I did were rather a large crowd as well (even though most likely less people than for this race), but I loved starting in such a crowd. It really gave me such a boost of energy to have so many like-minded people around!

I love your description about the race, it's great for someone who is considering a WDW half marathon to get a feeling what it is like!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 01-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #143
Shannon84
DIS Veteran

Yay race time!!! I really wish I took better notes on the course I am having trouble reliving it!! The start was a little underwhelming for people in the back, but still it was disney!!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #144
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

And you're off!! Woo Hoo!! How exciting. I really really REALLY want to do a Disney race and reading this makes me even more excited to do one. I'm so proud of you! What an awesome challenge to take on for yourself.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #145
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Your pictures really gave a good sense of how crowed a Disney race can be! Yikes! The 2 5Ks I've done have been really small events and nothing like the cattle pens the Disney one looks like! Nevertheless, I can sense your excitement, and the end, I'm glad you didn't try to keep up the pace with your friends!! You might not have been able to finish in the end.

Mickey and Minnie are so cute- how fun to get to start a race off with so much hoopla! Someday, I'd really love to run one there!!
I had only done one race before, and it was nothing compared to these crowds. They were saying there were about 11,000 runners for both the regular half and the relay. Before the race started all you could see was a sea of people. I don't think I was expecting that many people.

Quote:
How exciting to be off!!! What an experience, Crissy!!!
It definitely had the heart pumping a bit! I was really enjoying catching up with my friend though. We used to hang out together all the time until she had moved away. Now she actually lives in the same town as my grandmother so I'm going to have to look her up the next time I'm down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy161 View Post
I got an adrenaline rush just reading about your experience! I can't wait to read more!!!
I don't know what I was actually expecting that day, but the actual thing was so much more. The other particiapants though are what was really making it.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #146
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
The few races I did were rather a large crowd as well (even though most likely less people than for this race), but I loved starting in such a crowd. It really gave me such a boost of energy to have so many like-minded people around!

I love your description about the race, it's great for someone who is considering a WDW half marathon to get a feeling what it is like!
The other people definitely gave you a boost of energy. I hadn't felt that at my 10k race. Just goes to show Disney people are best.

I should have the rest of the race report up later. I have the pictures and everything uploaded, I just need to finish the writing. I'd highly recomend a Disney race to anyone. It was quite the experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon84 View Post
Yay race time!!! I really wish I took better notes on the course I am having trouble reliving it!! The start was a little underwhelming for people in the back, but still it was disney!!
Were you in the last corral too? I was in "D" (I think). I was wishing I could see what was going on as they released the earlier corrals.

I'm having a bit of problems reliving the course too, so I'm going to try to focus on an overall impression, and the few points I remember clearly. Hopefully that will work out okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
And you're off!! Woo Hoo!! How exciting. I really really REALLY want to do a Disney race and reading this makes me even more excited to do one. I'm so proud of you! What an awesome challenge to take on for yourself.
Thanks LL! You should definitly try one some day. I'd like to do another one, either another half or a 5k. I'm thinking the 5k would be more fun though and I'd get to enjoy it a bit more. I'm glad I saw this through to the end though no matter what. It's something I never thought I would have been able to do.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #147
Shannon84
DIS Veteran

Yeah I was in Corral D too...I just sort of shuffled my way to the front, but I couldn't see the fireworks or anything they did at first
Old 01-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #148
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon84 View Post
Yeah I was in Corral D too...I just sort of shuffled my way to the front, but I couldn't see the fireworks or anything they did at first
That was kind of lousy wasn't it? They could have done that each corral. I think they usually do during the other races.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #149
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Race Day! Part 3

During all my training for the Wine and Dine half marathon, my ipod had been my trusted best friend. Even on the days I dubiously left my cell phone at home I always had my ipod with me. A girl has to have priorities right? I had never run or walked a step in training in which my ipod wasn't in my ear, and the Nike+ wasn't tracking my results. At the beginning of the race I had my old ipod nano fully charged, tuned to my specially made playlist, Nike+ sensor in place placed securely in my skirt pocket ready to go.

But when it was time to start I made a decision, quite shocking to me, but at that moment it just felt right.

I was going to do this without the ipod. Usually I derive a lot of inspiration from my music. I tend to play things that make me want to dance and move, things I can sing along with. My playlist was filled with lots of Brittany Spears, Prince and Katy Perry. I had the songs "It's My Life" by Bon Jovi and "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus for when I needed an extra push, and my favorite Zumba music to get my feet going. Waiting there. Ready to go.

I never clicked play.

I tucked my ipod back into my pocket and set out to fully experience my 13.1 miles with my own thoughts to keep me going. I had been averaging 17 min. miles in training, and knew if I was going to do this I was going to need every possible second. Much as I would have loved to, I knew I wasn't going to be able to take time to snap photos with the characters along the way, or heck even use a bathroom. If I couldn't experience those moments, I wanted to experience what I could from this race. The sights, the sounds, the other people - everything I could. Those 13.1 miles laying before me had become so meaningful, a symbol of everything I'd told myself I wasn't capable of doing. I wanted to enjoy every moment of every mile I was able to finish. I didn't think I could do that with my ipod in my ear.

So less than a mile into the race, I was on my own. The first part of the race was pretty dull. Below is a copy of the course map, with the miles marked on it.

As you can see the first three miles were just out on one of Disney's highways. Probably the most entertaining part of this was that when all the back of the packers were headed down towards the Animal Kingdom, we could see the wheelchair division and the really fast runners heading back towards us on the other side of the road. We were all sure to give big cheers for them. Along the way Disney was providing a bit of entertainment. There were some characters out and about, and in the middle of the divided highway they had Spectromagic floats all lite up with dancing characters and bands playing. Fun! I would have loved to have stopped, but I kept plugging away. I kept going with my intervals, occasionally chatting with other participants - all of whom were just wonderful and encouraging. My one surprise was how much of this area was uphill. I had been expecting Florida - flat, but this stretch of the road had quite a bit of a grade to it. Nothing like at home, but more than I was expecting.

I was feeling good. I was keeping my pace, and knew there was still a large number of people behind me. I was happy though when we arrived at the Animal Kingdom at mile 3. There was a bit more to see. I ran into one of the girls from my friend's Team in Training group as we entered the park and we ended up keeping each other company for a few miles. It was odd though being in the AK at night. Part of the run when through some backstage areas which was kind of cool. Here's a close up of the AK part of the course. Sorry it's not the clearest. I couldn't find a better image.

Of course heading into the parks you also had to deal with the photographers that were out. I apologize in advance for all these horrid pictures of me from the race! Eek! I just had to buy the entire disk afterwards though. During a running interval -

I wasn't really paying much attention to what was going on behind me during the race, but after leaving the AK I was getting an antsy feeling that it was sounding much quieter behind me than it had been. At about mile 6 I could here people at the relay transfer spot (which I had already passed) looking for, and cheering for the final 1st leg relay runner to cross the line. That runner turned out to be one of the couple I had met leaving the Beach Club earlier. I'm happy to say both him and his partner both crossed in time!

The miles between the AK and MGM were some of the most dull, and it was getting much rougher keeping going. I could feel my pace beginning to slag a bit. Miles 6 to 8 backtracked along the highway before turning back yet again. Not terribly exciting, and rough when you can see people coming back at you just on the other side of a rope barrier. (The area on the map right before you hit mile marker 8). It would have been really nice to just scoot under the rope and ignore the entire loop, but I was good and followed the entire thing. (Good thing too, they have a scanner right at the end of it to be sure that you actually cover the entire loop. At about 7.5 miles in I got a text from my BFF telling me she had been picked up for falling too far behind and was being taken to the finish line. A bit of panic was beginning to set in. As I looped around towards mile marker 8 I was becoming quickly aware that there was practically no one behind me any longer. There were a few, but not many. The rest had all been picked up for being falling behind.

Right after mile 8 two girls came up behind me with balloons tied around their waits. The pacers. The race staff that was around and the cops pedaling around on bikes told us we'd be fine if we kept up with the girls with the balloons. I was trying, believe me, but I was getting so tired. I had picked up a pebble and could feel it floating around under the ball of my left foot. It wasn't horrible, but it was irritating, and I knew I didn't have enough time to stop and empty my shoe. I also would have given anything at that moment for a restroom. I was wearing out, and the two girls were getting a bit further ahead of me.

The mile 8 was horrible for me. I could feel my body feeling more and more exhausted. Most of that mile was going uphill. It was around midnight I'd guess, and the thought of 5 more miles was daunting. Plus, there was a clif shot stop during that mile. I had been training with them for energy, but I had only used the citrus flavored ones. They were giving out a different flavor, but I figured I'd be fine. Wrong. I had eaten about half the package when I started feeling sick as a dog. It was awful. I tossed out the rest of the package, and tried to ignore my now rolling stomach. As I was getting closer to the mile 9 marker the cops and staff told us that mile 9 was a hard cut. We had so many minutes to make it to the mile marker or we'd be taken off the course. Up ahead of me, I could see a big old coach waiting to cart people off to the finish line.

I'll be honest. That bus was looking pretty good. No, that bus was beyond looking good. That bus wouldn't have looked better if they told me that it was filled with ice cream sundaes and Captain Jack Sparrow waiting to rub my poor feet. Nope that bus had cushy seats, air conditioning and a bathroom. It looked like heaven to my poor exhausted eyes. I tried to run a bit to get caught up to the mile marker. I didn't get far before I had to slow to a walk again. My legs didn't want to listen. With mile marker 9 just in front of me, and the clock ticking, a big part of me just wanted to take that bus back to the finish line, wanted to sit down, wanted to take that pebble out of my shoe, wanted to end this madness.

I kept moving, just looking at that line in front of me, It actually looked like a mini-finish line, trying to make a decision on what I really wanted to do. The bus or the finish line. In that moment I knew I had to try. They could pull me off the course if need be, but I'd go down trying to finish with whatever energy I could muster up. I took a few deep breathes and started to run again, determined to cross that line somehow. Somehow I made it. I crossed the line and headed towards MGM, looking at the bus parked along side of the road waiting to cart people off to the finish line. It wasn't for me though. I didn't let myself give up for once. I didn't know how I was going to keep time for the last 4.1 miles, but they weren't getting me at mile 9.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #150
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

Wow, the anticipation is getting to me. I feel like I am running along beside you. I think I might have gotten on that bus. Good for you for sticking it out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: