Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #31
andymattmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mieuxmew View Post
A "traveling partner" to most is an adult, not a child! Obviously I am not the only parent who thinks this is not clear!
This board is here to help inform people and help them make traveling plans to and from Disney World, not to fight about coorporate policies! PEACE!!

So you don't consider your children your 'traveling partner(s)'??? What are they then? You are traveling with them correct? In all honesty you are probably one of few who do think it is unclear. To most it is obvious TRAVEL PARTNER IS ANYONE IN YOUR TRAVEL PARTY REGARDLESS OF AGE!

Fees go up based on the economy not just because people pay them. Most of us pay them so we can sit with our children and families (TRAVEL PARTNERS) because we want to sit by them.

Yes, this board is here to inform people. We have all informed you and you don't want to hear what we have to say. Everyone said you should purchase seats if you want to sit with your family. You will not get nor should you expect preferential treatment from the airlines or people on board the plane.

Please inform us of the airlines where it is policy that children of a certain age sit with their parents and that kids can't sit on their own. You still haven't answered what seats you purchased---were the all middle? If they are you do need to realize no one will give up their aisle or window seat for the unwanted middle seats. I certainly hope you purchased a row and the aisle across or 2 and 2.

It is so sad when some people expect others to cater to them. It is so sad when someone asks for information and then gets defensive because they don't like to hear what is common in the travel industry from those who fly more often and know the rules and what to expect. IF AN EMPLOYEE TOLD YOU THAT YOU CAN'T BE SEPARATED FROM YOUR KIDS I CERTAINLY HOPE YOU GOT THEIR NAME OR GOT IT IN WRITING VIA EMAIL!!

:
andymattmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:21 AM   #32
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Knock it off, the whole bunch of you.
I just went to Spirit and booked using bogus info. It is very clear as to what seating is going to cost. It is not hidden. Hidden would be that you found out after you paid for the seats...this is not the case.

It is never a 100% sure thing that you will be seated with your traveling partner...no matter what the age. Airlines only promise to get you from point A to point B on a certain day. They can, and do, change your flights as well as the seats you already chose. They don't really worry about ages of children.

That is the bottom line. it is up to us to become informed as to what policies are. Then, plan accordingly. Airlines seldom split up young children from their parents, but it's nothing that is a sure fire thing.
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #33
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Spirit uses fees to offset lower base fares. An airline doesn't' get revenue if passenger's are able to avoid fee's. SW allows passenger's to check 2 bags for free. Lowering that to 1 would reduce the total weight. It would generate very little revenue. Passengers would just check one bag.

Spirit looks for ways to keep their fee revenue up. Too many passengers avoid checked bag fees by bringing carryon bags. Spirit now charges for the use of overhead bin. Spirit wants passengers paying for seat assignments. Maybe they should say something like--Don't mind sitting in middle seat?. Don't mind being split from the rest of your group? Save a few dollars.

It's kind of two faced booking Spirit because they offer the lowest base fare but complaining about the fees which allow them to offer lower base fares.

I'd rather a ticket price that includes basic stuff. Spirit has found their customers prefer fees.

The difference is some of the fees are now all but impossible to avoid. Most of us need to either check a bag or use the overhead bin. Families with young children need to pay for a seat.

The OP missed a fee that can't be avoided when she priced airfare.

I'll agree a 2 year old should sit next to a parent. I'll agree Spirit might try to work to accomplish that. Full flight. No empty seats. Get to the gate after all seats held back for gate assignment are gone. You get what you asked for.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #34
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
Spirit uses fees to offset lower base fares. An airline doesn't' get revenue if passenger's are able to avoid fee's. SW allows passenger's to check 2 bags for free. Lowering that to 1 would reduce the total weight. It would generate very little revenue. Passengers would just check one bag.

Spirit looks for ways to keep their fee revenue up. Too many passengers avoid checked bag fees by bringing carryon bags. Spirit now charges for the use of overhead bin. Spirit wants passengers paying for seat assignments. Maybe they should say something like--Don't mind sitting in middle seat?. Don't mind being split from the rest of your group? Save a few dollars.

It's kind of two faced booking Spirit because they offer the lowest base fare but complaining about the fees which allow them to offer lower base fares.

I'd rather a ticket price that includes basic stuff. Spirit has found their customers prefer fees.

The difference is some of the fees are now all but impossible to avoid. Most of us need to either check a bag or use the overhead bin. Families with young children need to pay for a seat.

The OP missed a fee that can't be avoided when she priced airfare.

I'll agree a 2 year old should sit next to a parent. I'll agree Spirit might try to work to accomplish that. Full flight. No empty seats. Get to the gate after all seats held back for gate assignment are gone. You get what you asked for.
And this is nothing short of extortion. I don't care if my wife and I are separated to save a few bucks, but families? There needs to be EXPLICIT ages listed for when they separate. I for one would be extremely annoyed if I were sitting next a 4 year old WITHOUT their parent when I paid for my seat. Are you kidding me? Who wants that? A FOUR YEAR old on their own with their parent 5 rows back? Are you going to sue the parents or the airlines when they scream for two straight hours, knock over your ipad, or poke you in the eye? It is a Parent's responsibility to take care of their children, but to be extorted to pay an extra fee to properly care for them.

I get the whole IT IS EXPRESSED ON their website. I am actually questioning the legality of separating a parent from their child for NOT paying an extra fee.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #35
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyman_apd View Post
And this is nothing short of extortion. I don't care if my wife and I are separated to save a few bucks, but families? There needs to be EXPLICIT ages listed for when they separate. I for one would be extremely annoyed if I were sitting next a 4 year old WITHOUT their parent when I paid for my seat. Are you kidding me? Who wants that? A FOUR YEAR old on their own with their parent 5 rows back? Are you going to sue the parents or the airlines when they scream for two straight hours, knock over your ipad, or poke you in the eye? It is a Parent's responsibility to take care of their children, but to be extorted to pay an extra fee to properly care for them.

I get the whole IT IS EXPRESSED ON their website. I am actually questioning the legality of separating a parent from their child for NOT paying an extra fee.
And you bumped a thread that was over two years old to add...nothing?
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #36
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
And you bumped a thread that was over two years old to add...nothing?
+1!

Just what we needed, another rant about separating children and parents on planes to join the hundreds already on the DIS forums and hundreds of thousands on other travel discussion boards. Nothing new to say, so why bother?
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #37
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Based on this fit, I am not sure who is the 4 year old, but I KNOW I will take my chances and sit next to the kid. Parents who imitate their children are much more irritating. Hopefully your childish behavior of expecting the world to revolve around your needs and the airline to care about your child has not yet had time to turn your child into an unreasonable human who SCREAMS and makes up new"legal issues" to get his way. I am taking my chances with the kid

It is not in any way illegal to separate you from your child.

However, if you show up at the airport and act like this you may discover some other strange things. It is always fun to watch security remove the hysterical....
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #38
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Based on this fit, I am not sure who is the 4 year old, but I KNOW I will take my chances and sit next to the kid. Parents who imitate their children are much more irritating. Hopefully your childish behavior of expecting the world to revolve around your needs and the airline to care about your child has not yet had time to turn your child into an unreasonable human who SCREAMS and makes up new"legal issues" to get his way. I am taking my chances with the kid

It is not in any way illegal to separate you from your child.

However, if you show up at the airport and act like this you may discover some other strange things. It is always fun to watch security remove the hysterical....
I fail to see how anyone thinks this is ok? I'm not talking about an 8 year old here, but for anyone to say its ok for an airline to make people pay a fee to guarantee their toddler sits with them is ludicrous. Obviously as a parent I would pay the fee than take that chance, and the OP DID pay the fee as she stated. But some morals have to kick in here somewhere. I am not acting like a child by pointing out a seriously flawed policy. To charge for more legroom, a closer seat to the exit, that's fine. Clearly many of the responders here do not have children. A toddler cannot be expected to follow the rules and procedures of safety during flight. I'm not "looking" for a lawsuit, but society is. I'm willing to bet any of you would give up your seat after 2 minutes next to my nephew no matter how much extra you paid.

There was no "fit" in my post. I'm more shocked that people are ok with an extremely young child sitting alone unless an extra fee is paid. I don't see how it's legal. I'm not "teaching" my child to scream, but I know many small children that would being separated from there parents for 2+ hours. Expecting the world to change for my needs? Because I wouldn't want A toddler separated from their parent? That makes me self centered?

I have never paid a fee for a seat. Ever. I don't believe in it. Ill take the back row, the engine, next to bathroom, whatever. My ticket pays for the ride. Ill take wherever the airline chooses to place me, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect they place my young child with me. And for anyone to feel otherwise has serious moral issues.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #39
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:

I have never paid a fee for a seat. Ever. I don't believe in it. Ill take the back row, the engine, next to bathroom, whatever. My ticket pays for the ride. Ill take wherever the airline chooses to place me, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect they place my young child with me. And for anyone to feel otherwise has serious moral issues.
No moral issues. Just the knowledge that we don't have to buy what someone is trying to sell us. And if you don't like that an airline charges a seat fee, don't buy your ticket on them! Easy.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #40
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
I fail to see how anyone thinks this is ok? I'm not talking about an 8 year old here, but for anyone to say its ok for an airline to make people pay a fee to guarantee their toddler sits with them is ludicrous. Obviously as a parent I would pay the fee than take that chance, and the OP DID pay the fee as she stated. But some morals have to kick in here somewhere. I am not acting like a child by pointing out a seriously flawed policy. To charge for more legroom, a closer seat to the exit, that's fine. Clearly many of the responders here do not have children. A toddler cannot be expected to follow the rules and procedures of safety during flight. I'm not "looking" for a lawsuit, but society is. I'm willing to bet any of you would give up your seat after 2 minutes next to my nephew no matter how much extra you paid.

There was no "fit" in my post. I'm more shocked that people are ok with an extremely young child sitting alone unless an extra fee is paid. I don't see how it's legal. I'm not "teaching" my child to scream, but I know many small children that would being separated from there parents for 2+ hours. Expecting the world to change for my needs? Because I wouldn't want A toddler separated from their parent? That makes me self centered?

It's legal. Contact your congressman if you think rules should change. You want to sit next to your child and you don't want to pay for an assigned seat. Easy. Don't fly Spirit. Immoral? That would be the parent who doesn't pay the proper fare (seat fee) for the level of service they need. The passenger who wants to pay the low posted fare Spirit charges but not be willing to pay for the "extras" which allow Spirit to post a fare less then what passengers actually pay. I get it. There isn't any way a normal passenger can fly with Spirit without paying extra. A normal passenger doesn't normally fly with just the stuff that can fit in an underseat bag.

Change the subject, a little.

The average Spirit passenger now pays over $100 in fees. 40lb limit on checked bags decreases the possibility of passengers being able to share one bag. Creates revenue from passengers who don't know about Spirit's lower weight limits. Fee for a bin bag makes it harder for passengers to use carryon bags to avoid pay for bags. Huge fee for paying at the gate is designed to take advantage of people who don't understand the charge or can't wait on the line to pay at the counter.

Is it moral to post a fare that is absolutely unprofitable? Fees which are all but impossible to avoid? Spirit is sort of like bait and switch.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #41
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I don't understand what you want them to do. They don't intentionally separate parents and kids. The seat chart is available, you can choose to pay for your choice in advance. So some people do that. The remainder are assigned at check-in. If there are not seats together at that point, what do you want them to do? Start moving around the people who chose to pay for their seats in advance so that the people who did not pay can sit together? If you don't believe in paying for your assignment, then it's the risk you take.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #42
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:

WHEN YOU TYPE IN CAPS... you are having a hissy fit on the web LOL!

I fail to see why you think it's an airlines responsiblity to make sure you are a responsible parent. In other words, you should get something for free that everyone else pays for because you chose to have kids?

Talk about entitlement!

You chose to have the kids. This is just another cost, along with food and medical care. You don't think the grocery should give you free food do you? Why not? Why is it moral to charge for food, which is much more important then an airline seat to go see Mickey, but not an airline seat?

Your "morality" appears to be based on "what I want to pay for" There's nothing "moral" here just an attempt to get something for free.

I suggest you don't fly airlines that don't have policies you don't agree with. But don't try to hide behind legality and morality.... i
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #43
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

I, for one, like the "unbundled" pricing that some airlines offer. For those who say that snacks/luggage/whatever used to be free...well, that's not really true. The fees for those things were just built into the price of the flight, so everyone had to pay, regardless of whether or not they used the services. On my last flight, DH and I checked 1 bag for the 2 of us and each took a personal item onboard (free). We also paid for seats because we like sitting in the exit row and I am an anxious flyer. I would prefer not to be separated from DH.

I don't really understand why people think they deserve special treatment because they have kids. If you bring a child or children into the world, you assume a great responsibility, including paying for them to sit next to you on a plane. As previously mentioned, I have a fear of flying. Should they make an exception for me to sit by DH for free because I'm scared? Of course not. It is my responsibility to assess my personal situation and determine what is best for me. When I have kids, I will re-assess my situation at that time and choose airplane seats accordingly. Besides, like I said, you really aren't paying "extra." The fees are just unbundled.

Lastly, I don't really understand how a child is really unsafe on an airplane. They can't get kidnapped or lost. They can't wander away. I guess a teeny tiny chance exists that they'll be seated next to a pedophile but that chance is so minute that it's probably not even worth mentioning. Can the kid be unhappy? Sure. But they're probably not truly unsafe.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #44
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I for one would be extremely annoyed if I were sitting next a 4 year old WITHOUT their parent when I paid for my seat. Are you kidding me? Who wants that? A FOUR YEAR old on their own with their parent 5 rows back?
So what should the airline do in that situation? Person A pays for their seat (window, aisle, wherever). Person B and Child C don't pay for their seats and get separated. Child C is sitting next to A. So what should the airline do? Move A (who paid for their seat)? Force C to pay A?
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #45
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
So what should the airline do in that situation? Person A pays for their seat (window, aisle, wherever). Person B and Child C don't pay for their seats and get separated. Child C is sitting next to A. So what should the airline do? Move A (who paid for their seat)? Force C to pay A?
I guess the annoyed person would have to decide between giving up their seat, and being annoyed by the child beside them. Decide which is the lesser of two evils.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: