Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #16
duffy
The Tag Fairy did not give me this tag...I wrote it myself.

If you don't want to risk a small child sitting without a parent, then pay for the seats.
duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
duffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mieuxmew View Post
Thank you all for your responses. I have never used Spirit Airlines before and from what I understand, prepaid seat selection is also quite new to Spirit Airlines. I was simply asking if people who have experience with this airline feel that the majority of people choose to submit to extra airline fees, thus rendering it more of a necessity to pay the extra fees to protect the safety of children. Most airlines would not want two year old twins sitting alone!As stated, I have never used this airline, nor is any policy written in Spirit's lengthy passenger bill of rights regarding family seating. Every airline I have ever flown has policies regarding very small children being seated with a parent for safety concerns and comfort of other passengers not traveling with small children. I am guessing if you paid an extra $25 for your premium leather window aisle seat, you would not want to be sitting next to a 2 year old whose parent is 3 rows away!! Obviously, the safety of my children is important to me regardless of $80, which is why I asked the question to begin with! I was not asking for favortism nor was I implying that anyone should personally give up their seat they paid for!! I was simply asking for advice here, as we all know some fees in the travel industry are necessary expenses and some are not as necessary. My question really had nothing to do with character meals, souveniors, or making my kids drink water intead of milk to pay for their seat assignment! I paid Spirit Airlines for 4 seats on the plane. I don't care if I sit in the middle seat in the back row of the plane - I expect the airline to ensure the safety for all passengers above creating extra hidden fees to charge passengers. I understand some people may want to sit in the front of the plane, have more leg room or leather seats and thus pay extra money. Making someone pay for seat assignment so their toddlers will be safe and not a bothersome to other passengers seems more like a form of extortion than a luxury fee, and these fees should be disclosed at the time of purchase. Other airlines fortunately have not adopted such fees. In addition to paying for my plane tickets and luggage, I also paid for my seat assignments, too. Thank you.
(I bolded the relevant part.)
I myself have no problem looking out the window and blocking out all noise. Headphones are great for this!!

It's not disclosed at the time of purchase?

As a parent of grown children, I'm glad that I can save money by not being forced to pay extra for my ticket so that my husband and I can sit together. Getting cheaper tickets and putting up with possibly not having seats together is a great idea.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #18
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifferearly View Post
I agree with OP that their policy to pay for seats is not clearly spelled out when buying the tickets. I often fly AirTran. They charge a premium in advance to choose seats. But when you check in 24 hours in advance, you can pick your seat for free. We travel with 3 adults and 1 child and I assume that at 24 hrs, I'll be able to get him with 1 adult (and always have gotten all 4 together). I was quite dismayed this morning when I went to check in on Spirit. If I don't pay for a seat, then it won't print me a boarding pass and I have to check in at the counter. I guess I'll go back, as a PP suggested, and buy 2 seats but this wasn't factored into my purchase decision on this "cheap" airfare.
Sorry, but it is very clear on the website.

You choose your and enter your information (not credit card stuff yet). Next page, you choose how many pieces of luggage you will have. Next page, you choose you seats (or don't). The top of the page says:

Quote:
Pre-select your seating in order to ensure that you get the seat that is best for you. Want a window seat? No problem! Sit next to your traveling partner? You bet! More legroom? Sure thing! - You are an individual. Go ahead, treat yourself as one.1
Bolding mine. It even makes it clear that, in order to make sure that you sit beside your traveling partner, you need to pre-select your seats. It is clear that choosing seats is not just about where on the plane your seats are located.

You should be able to check-in without paying for a seat - but you get whatever random seat is printed on your boarding pass (per the Spirit website).
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #19
Dorisk3
DIS Veteran

I also didn't want to pay the seat assignment with Spirit and assumed that there is no way that they would separate parents from their young children. Boy, was I wrong. We were seated all over the plane, and no one was willing to move for us.

That is the main reason I won't fly Spirit anymore at any price- it's bad enough to have to pay for baggage, but to pay to sit next to my kids is going too far.

Our family
Dorisk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #20
andymattmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you all for your responses. I have never used Spirit Airlines before and from what I understand, prepaid seat selection is also quite new to Spirit Airlines. I was simply asking if people who have experience with this airline feel that the majority of people choose to submit to extra airline fees, thus rendering it more of a necessity to pay the extra fees to protect the safety of children. Most airlines would not want two year old twins sitting alone!As stated, I have never used this airline, nor is any policy written in Spirit's lengthy passenger bill of rights regarding family seating. Every airline I have ever flown has policies regarding very small children being seated with a parent for safety concerns and comfort of other passengers not traveling with small children. I am guessing if you paid an extra $25 for your premium leather window aisle seat, you would not want to be sitting next to a 2 year old whose parent is 3 rows away!! Obviously, the safety of my children is important to me regardless of $80, which is why I asked the question to begin with! I was not asking for favortism nor was I implying that anyone should personally give up their seat they paid for!! I was simply asking for advice here, as we all know some fees in the travel industry are necessary expenses and some are not as necessary. My question really had nothing to do with character meals, souveniors, or making my kids drink water intead of milk to pay for their seat assignment! I paid Spirit Airlines for 4 seats on the plane. I don't care if I sit in the middle seat in the back row of the plane - I expect the airline to ensure the safety for all passengers above creating extra hidden fees to charge passengers. I understand some people may want to sit in the front of the plane, have more leg room or leather seats and thus pay extra money. Making someone pay for seat assignment so their toddlers will be safe and not a bothersome to other passengers seems more like a form of extortion than a luxury fee, and these fees should be disclosed at the time of purchase. Other airlines fortunately have not adopted such fees. In addition to paying for my plane tickets and luggage, I also paid for my seat assignments, too. Thank you.

EXCUSE ME! You think it is a luxury fee for us to pay for our seats. You know of airlines who care more about kids sitting with their parents than making money. Airlines don't have child fares anymore...they give possibly a slight discount for seniors BUT they don't discount child fares. The airline might ask if under a certain age in case child is flying alone. Each person is money to the airline rather than a living breathing human being. They could care less if it is a 40 year old woman or 2 year old. It is $$$ to them. They will nickle and dime you for everything....meals, drinks, headphones, baggage fees and YES SEATS! I don't know Spirit but if they charge more for aisle and window seats and you chose all middle (I AM SORRY IF I AM WRONG ON THIS) don't expect someone to give up their "luxury" seat for a cramped middle one. Don't expect someone to move because your 2 year old is next to them. To call it extortion what it is...they do extort money from all of us for things that used to be free...seat assignments, baggage, meals, etc. BUT TO CLAIM IT IS EXTORTION BECAUSE YOU HAVE CHILDREN IS RIDICULOUS! As I mentioned my kids are teenagers and I would still pay a fee for us to sit together. Don't expect anyone to move for you. After seeing end post about someone not paying and sitting all over on the plane I would think that would open your eyes.

Yes, I did mention if money is tight maybe you can cut expenses other places. I didn't know they were two years old so I can understand why milk is important. I thought if they were older than they could have water rather than soda or something.

I am going to come out and say it and I am sorry if I offend you. It sounds like you do expect preferential treatment because of young children. That is not going to make a difference in the airlines eyes or sorry the eyes of others who paid for their seats. People don't have to move after they paid for their seats. Were the seats you got all together or at least 2 and 2? Airlines are about money anymore and that is it...they are struggling financially as are most people. Budget any fees into the fare before purchasing. When we fly I plan and add the seat fee into our budget. I would not fly Southwest because I don't like the boarding without seats and having seen people recommend 'saving' seats that is another reason I won't fly. Just have a fun trip but please be realistic and get seats together. IF you need help at airport don't go with the attitude they have to help you...be polite but firm. They will try but there is no guarantee.

I do apologize if I appear rude or uncaring. I am a mother who has traveled with my boys since they were 6 weeks old. This is reality that has changed over the years. Don't expect people or the airlines to cater to you because you have toddlers...most people on the plane to MCO will have small or young kids just like you so that won't make any difference.
andymattmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #21
mieuxmew
Mouseketeer

The more people agree to pay the fees, the more fees there will be! Spirit has already posted an increase in bag fees. I bet prices to pick your seats (in addition to purchasing your seats) will also go up. Next, you will be charged to use the bathroom on the plane!
I have flown to Orlando many times in the past 2 years. I have always compared fares (and all extra fees) on Southwest, Spirit, AirTran and Jet Blue. This is only the first time Spirit has had the lowest fare! Southwest has a paid priority boarding who boards first, followed by family boarding so parents could be seated with small children, then remainder of passengers board. Last flight I was on, a family with 4 small children arrived after boarding was completed and Southwest offered free adult drinks to others willing to help accomodate this family. We were advised that the plane would not take off until these children could be seated with their parents. I have no issue with airlines charging extra for bigger seats, more leg room, up front locations, as these are all luxuries. Install massage chairs and charge for that if you wish! Charging for people to sit next to adult "traveling partners" is starting to get a bit out of hand. I am not willing to pay for it, but perhaps some people are. My gripe is that a lot of people are used to courtesy family boarding for the safety of very small children. Those traveling with small children should be informed upfront they will need to or should purchase seating assignments. Instead, Spirit uses the following marketing statement:

Pre-select your seating in order to ensure that you get the seat that is best for you. Want a window seat? No problem! Sit next to your traveling partner? You bet! More legroom? Sure thing! - You are an individual. Go ahead, treat yourself as one!

Where in this statement does it state that for the safety of children and consideration of other passengers, it is suggested that parents need to spend extra money and pay for seat assignment for toddlers?? A "traveling partner" to most is an adult, not a child! Obviously I am not the only parent who thinks this is not clear! After I had purchased my tickets, I discussed my travel plans with someone at work who suggested I look into Spirit's family boarding policy, otherwise, I guess I would have had a BIG surprise when I arrived to the airport, expecting my children would be seated near a parent.

All fees, mandatory or not, should be disclosed prior to purchasing tickets. If Spirit wants to take no responsiblity for the safety of children they should clearly state that, not use some stupid, useless marketing phrase "treat yourself!" Southwest is coming soon to my local airport and will now go head to head with Spirit. Bring it on!!! This may be my first and last trip on Spirit

I am not condeming those of you who like or agree with Spirit Airlines, so please don't flame me for asking for advice. This board is here to help inform people and help them make traveling plans to and from Disney World, not to fight about coorporate policies! PEACE!!
mieuxmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #22
duffy

Quote:
A "traveling partner" to most is an adult, not a child!
It's obvious to me that it's anyone travelling with you.

Quote:
All fees, mandatory or not, should be disclosed prior to purchasing tickets.
As already pointed out, THEY WERE DISCLOSED, BUT YOU CHOSE TO NOT PAY THEM.

Why not just pay the fee?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #23
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post

Agree on all counts.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #24
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

I just went through a test booking to see what happens. The "select your seat" page is a mandatory part of the booking process, and crystal clear. The entire plane's seatmap is shown, with every seat colored to indicate if it is available, and if so, what its price is. You can't possibly claim with a straight face that the fees weren't disclosed. Naturally, if you don't choose the seats, you're letting the airline choose them for you. No where does it say that you will be seated together if you don't select them, and indeed if you look at the seating policies, it says:

Quote:
Purchasing seat assignments in advance on www.spiritair.com is recommended to secure a preferred location onboard the aircraft, and ensure that traveling companions are seated together.
Again, I don't see how you could claim with a straight face that Spirit isn't right up front about all of this. Suggesting that children are not also "traveling companions" stretches credibility to the breaking point.

Quote:
The more people agree to pay the fees, the more fees there will be! Spirit has already posted an increase in bag fees. I bet prices to pick your seats (in addition to purchasing your seats) will also go up.
That ship has sailed. As I posted upthread, the market has clearly spoken on this issue---airlines that have unbundled costs have found success with the approach. Even mighty Southwest has "broken the seal" with ECBI. Such unbundling has become ordinary and expected. Wishing it would go back to the "olden days" is like wishing gravity would take a holiday. It's not going to happen.

Quote:
I have always compared fares (and all extra fees) on Southwest, Spirit, AirTran and Jet Blue. This is only the first time Spirit has had the lowest fare! ... Southwest is coming soon to my local airport and will now go head to head with Spirit. Bring it on!!! This may be my first and last trip on Spirit
I'm confused. Southwest isn't at your airport, but you compare them? I'm guessing across airports, perhaps? If so, don't expect the same fares at the new airport---fares are much more heavily influenced by immediate competition. In any event, it has become increasingly common that Southwest is *not* the lowest fare option in many cases. Out of DTW specifically, Southwest is usually no better than third, with AirTran, Spirit, and Delta competing on the route with nonstop flights. And, that's even after accounting for baggage/seating fees vs. ECBI, etc., *and* the fact that Southwest no longer flies nonstop on that route.

Quote:
I am not condeming those of you who like or agree with Spirit Airlines, so please don't flame me for asking for advice.
As it happens, I don't like Spirit, and almost never fly them, but for other reasons---primarily because my other three options (Southwest, Delta, and even AirTran) all provide a more pleasant experience, and usually for not any more money.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #25
mieuxmew
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post

If you had read my post way further back and stop flaming me, you would note that I did already pay the fares!

I called Spirit Airlines, and spoke to a gentleman at a call center in India. I asked him regarding the coorporate policy on what age Spirit Airlines considers minors able to sit on the plane unaccompanied. He has no idea what the coorporate policy is, so I have no idea why you think this is so clear! I called the airport and spoke to a Spirit employee and she stated that they will not allow a 2 year old child to sit on the plane without a parent next to him/her and that purchasing an assigned seat is unnecessary. Clear as mud.

I hope this post has somehow helped other parents become more informed. At this point, it is becoming a total waste of my time dealing with nonesense!

Last edited by goofy4tink; 10-16-2010 at 07:58 AM. Reason: personal comments
mieuxmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #26
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you had read my post way further back and stop flaming me, you would note that I did already pay the fares!

I called Spirit Airlines, and spoke to a gentleman at a call center in India. I asked him regarding the coorporate policy on what age Spirit Airlines considers minors able to sit on the plane unaccompanied. He has no idea what the coorporate policy is, so I have no idea why you think this is so clear! I called the airport and spoke to a Spirit employee and she stated that they will not allow a 2 year old child to sit on the plane without a parent next to him/her and that purchasing an assigned seat is unnecessary. Clear as mud.

I hope this post has somehow helped other parents become more informed. At this point, it is becoming a total waste of my time dealing with nonesense!

!!
So it's OK for you to call out someone, but not for you to be called out? Or did I miss something!

And you still seem to think that the AIRLINE is responsible for your children? WHY? Did they bring them into this world? I don't think so... that was your decision and being "responsible" is your job. Not Delta's, not Spirit's, not SW etc..

I wouldn't fly Spirit if they PAID me, but.... I don't think the airline is responsible for my kids either!

You went with "cheap" without doing research... I see it daily on tripadvisor.com The whine about "Spirit" done AFTER the booking! Buyer beware!

As to the employee you spoke too... SHE/HE LIED! (A common Spirit practice. Remember that during the strike (A) they were flying anyway and (B) they had made arrangements to fly people on other airlines... Neither of which were true LOL!) I read a lot of travel message boards. Spirit's employees will NOT assist in 90% of these cases. Heck you are doing good if they bother to acknowledge you exist. Thier boss has figured the game out... The folks that fly them only looked at ONE thing.. PRICE!

Last edited by goofy4tink; 10-16-2010 at 07:59 AM. Reason: removed quote of removed statement
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #27
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am not condeming those of you who like or agree with Spirit Airlines, so please don't flame me for asking for advice. This board is here to help inform people and help them make traveling plans to and from Disney World, not to fight about coorporate policies! PEACE!!
You're not just asking for advice. You don't like the answers. Everyone suggested you pay the fee yet you keep posting. Everyone told you Spirit is clear. Everyone but you think its clear the term traveling companion means anyone you're traveling with,regardless of age.

You're the only person who thinks there is an implied exception for parents with young kids.

Do I agree with Spirit? Irrelevant. Spirit customers don't seem to mind paying fees. Spirit is the only airline that charges for the use of the overhead bins.

Don't like Spirit's "a la carte" approach. Don't fly them. They're not my first choice. I'm not sure Spirit is even on the list of carriers I'd consider.

My guess is Spirit would make an attempt so a parent could sit next to a 2 year old, but probably not much older.

I don't think a child is considered unaccompanied if a parent is in the same cabin (coach or first class) as their child.

I don't think parents with kids should get free seats if the airline is going to be charging couples who want to sit together.

Sounds like you thought you wouldn't have to pay the seat fee when you booked.
Lewisc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #28
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

If you are not willing to fly an airline that charges for seat assignments, that is your right. But know ahead of time that you will probably be paying more anyway. An airline that includes everything in its base ticket price is probably not the cheapest option.

And there are fewer and fewer of those airlines around anyway.

I'm sorry that for some reason you assumed there was some kind of exclusion of fees for parents flying with children. But you thought that up on your own. You know what they say about people that assume, and unfortunately for you, it came back on you. Don't blame the airline because you chose for some reason to disregard what they told you about paying for seats.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #29
duffy

Quote:
Sorry, I did miss that.

Last edited by goofy4tink; 10-16-2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: discussion of removed statement
Old 10-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #30
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mieuxmew
The more people agree to pay the fees, the more fees there will be! Spirit has already posted an increase in bag fees. I bet prices to pick your seats (in addition to purchasing your seats) will also go up. Next, you will be charged to use the bathroom on the plane!
Hyperbole will get you nowhere. Even RyanAir - the ultra-low-cost, completely a la carte, European airline that charges for everything - the only airline that has even floated (pun intended) the idea of pay toilets has been banned from doing that.

May I ask why you begrudge or resent any business attempting to operate - some day in the future - at a profit? If you don't like how airlines operate, don't fly.

Quote:
Pre-select your seating in order to ensure that you get the seat that is best for you. Want a window seat? No problem! Sit next to your traveling partner? You bet! More legroom? Sure thing! - You are an individual. Go ahead, treat yourself as one!

Where in this statement does it state that for the safety of children and consideration of other passengers, it is suggested that parents need to spend extra money and pay for seat assignment for toddlers?? A "traveling partner" to most is an adult, not a child!
Only to an adult who refuses to consider all aspects of travel, or all definitions of a word. A person of any age with you is most assuredly your companion.

Quote:
All fees, mandatory or not, should be disclosed prior to purchasing tickets. If Spirit wants to take no responsiblity for the safety of children
Spirit ISN'T responsible specifically for the safety of your children. You are. If that means understanding all the airline's pricing and policies - whether by asking them, or by researching online before you purchase your tickets, so be it.

Quote:
I am not condeming those of you who like or agree with Spirit Airlines, so please don't flame me for asking for advice.
Asking for advice? Not at all. Continuing to complain and argue when policies are explained to you? Well, nobody's flaming you, but no matter how clearly people try to explain Spirit's pricing and fees to you, you continue to complain.
Phone Monkey; Phone Monkey 2; Phone Monkey Declined; The Barkeep; Ultimate Guide to Soapmaking; Brief Anecdotes from an Amusing Life; Twisted Disney; Tony Partly Cloudy; The Alternative Guide to Nursery Rhymes; Dead Woman's Shoes; South of Normal; Wal-Mart Book of Ethics; Las Vegas Cab Life; Savvy Travelers Guide: Boston Red Sox; Professor Plausible's Big Book of Baloney; Sweet Masterpiece; The President's Brain is Missing; Why Your Flight Attendant Hates You; Dirty Numbers; My Life on Craigslist; Retail Memories: When Customer Attack; The Village Idiots Cruise Club; How to Find Your Soulmate on the Internet - NOT!; The Dining Doctor; Cars & Stars; Tales in the Sky; Reader's Digest The Dumb Book; An Amazon Verified Purchase; Adventures in Casino Security; Waiter Rant; Keep the Change; Fairy Tales from the I.R.S.; now (still) reading "Hot Doug's", along with 'Match Dot C'mon', 'Cliches: A Dictionary of Recieved Ideas', 'The Chase', and 'Real Happy Family'
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: