Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

Is 304 Days Too Soon to Start Planning??? (with chapter links!!!)

Hello again! I know, I know, I have not finished my trip report that I promised to finish from my April 2010 trip (see the link in my signature!)...and I will finish it!...BUT I have good news...WE'RE GOING BACK!!!!

And what's a gal to do when the kids can only talk about it in so much detail and for so long and her husband just says "Tell me where to be and when...you know you're going to change your mind fifty million times...so just tell me when it's time to go!" Ya, really!!! I married that man!!! So anyway, what's a girl to do?

Well, she turns to her Disney obsessed buds on the Disboards...you guys understand!!!

So here I am...to discuss with all of you my plans, my changed plans, my wonderings, my questions, my indecision...all of it! Please come out and help me along to wait out these L-O-N-G 304 more days till Mickey's House!!!

PRE-TRIP RAMBLINGS

PREAMBLE - The "WHY" of this trip...
Chapter 1 : Introducing Skyler
Chapter 2 : Introducing Tyler
Chapter 3 : Misc Kid pictures and a Cat
Chapter 4 : Introducing Lou
Chapter 5 : And then there's ME!
Chapter 6 : A Picture with Santa
Chapter 7 : A Little Background, Figures, and the FIRST Dining Plan
Chapter 8 : A Lot Of Eating
Chapter 9 : The "Have" and "Have Not" of Dining
Chapter 10 : The Whole Plan Days 1 thru 11 (First Draft)
Chapter 11 : Hey, Isn't that a lot of hopping and travel time?
Chapter 12 : The Whole Plan Days 12 - 15 (FIRST DRAFT)
Chapter 13 : Park Time...Maybe I need to re-think that???
Chapter 14 : Dining of the Past - Citricos (with Pictures)
Chapter 15 : Dining of the Past - Tuskerhouse lunch(with Pictures)
Chapter 16 : Dining og the Past - Narcoossee's (with Pictures)
Chapter 17 : Dining of the Past - 1900 Park Fare (with Pictures)
Chapter 18 : Dining of the Past - Restaurant Marrakesh (with Pictures)
Chapter 19 : Dining of the Past - Chefs de France (with Pictures)
Chapter 20 : Dining of the Past - Hollywood & Vine (with Pictures)
Chapter 21 : Dining of the Past - Mama Melrose (with Pictures)
Chapter 22 : Dining of the Past - Ohana (woth Pictures)
Chapter 23 : Dining of the Past - Grang Floridian Cafe (with Pictures)
Chapter 24 : Dining of the Past - Cape May Cafe (with Pictures)
Chapter 25 : Dining of the Past - Tuskerhouse breakfast (with Pictures)
Chapter 26 : Dining of the Past - Yak & Yeti (with Pictures)
Chapter 27 : Dining of the Past - Boma (with Pictures)
Chapter 28 : Dining of the Past - Crystal Palace (with Pictures)
Chapter 29 : Dining of the Past - Le Cellier (with Pictures)
Chapter 30 : Dining of the Past - Flying Fish (with Pictures)
Chapter 31 : Dining of the Past - Chef Mickey's (with Pictures)
Chapter 32 : Dining of the Past - California Grill (with Pictures)
Chapter 33 : Dining of the Past - Brown Derby (with Pictures)
Chapter 34 : Dining of the Past - Everything Pop (with Pictures)
Chapter 35 : Dining of the Past - Kringa Bakery in Norway (with Pictures)
Chapter 36 : Dining of the Past - Tuskerhouse breakfast again (with Pictures)
Chapter 37 : Dining of the Past - Boma again (with pictures)
Chapter 38 : Dining of the Past - Everything Pop again (with pictures)
Chapter 39 : Dining of the Past - A Mickey Bar (with Pictures)
Chapter 40 - Dining of the Past - Main Street Bakery (with Pictures)
Chapter 41 - Dining of the Past - Columbia Harbour House (with Pictures)
Chapter 42 - Dining of the Past - Seasons (with picturs)
Chapter 43 - Thanksgiving
Chapter 44 - Putting up the Tree
Chapter 45 - Our Disney Tree - part one
Chapter 46 - Our Disney Tree - part two
Chapter 47 - Cheerleading (a big hurdle to get over!)
Chapter 48 - More Cheering!
Chapter 49 - Day #2 of Cheer
Chapter 50 - Day #2 continues
Chapter 51 - St. Nicholas Day
Chapter 52 - A Pirate Room???
Chapter 53 - Should I add a Day?
Chapter 54 - The Decision
Chapter 55 - Our first Disney Gift Card
Chapter 56 - Pins, Carriages, and Decorations
Chapter 57 - Fishing Excursion?
Chapter 58 - Southwest Released our Dates!!!
Chapter 59 - Shopping, Funding Thermometer, and other misc. Pics
Chapter 60 - Just Some Random Pictures
Chapter 61 - The Final "What" of the Trip
Chapter 62 - 180 Days and the First Ten Days of ADRs!
Chapter 63 - The Next Two Days of ADRs
Chapter 64 - The Trials and Tribulations of Making ADRs
Chapter 65 - Dining is Driving Me CRAZY!

Chapter 66 - The Next Days of ADRs...almost done!
Chapter 67 - Our Minnie Box
Chapter 68 - Just the ADRs and Nothing But the ADRs
Chapter 69 - 166 and some off topic venting!
Chapter 70 - Dining is FINAL
Chapter 71 - A Change in Plans
Chapter 72 - Tyler may not make it & my new toy!
Chapter 73 - Pins not PINS!
Chapter 74 - Heart Wrenching decisions coming soon!
Chapter 75 - Maps
Chapter 76 - 150
Chapter 77 - What's been going on?
Chapter 78 - 130
Chapter 79 - 128 and Happy Birthday Skyler!
Chapter 80 - A Picture Tribute to Skye...part 1
Chapter 81 - A Picture Tribute to Skye...part 2
Chapter 82 - A Picture Tribute to Skye...Final
Chapter 83 - 120
Chapter 84 - 109 - Busy, busy, busy!!!
Chapter 85 - 100!!!!!
Chapter 86 - 88 more days!!!
Chapter 87 - 86 more days!!!
Chapter 88 - pictures from dress rehearsal
Chapter 89 - 84 and what's been happening pics
Chapter 90 - Great America
Chapter 91 - 82 and some actual trip info
Chapter 92 - 68 and I thought I had it all Figured Out???
Chapter 93 - 64 and camera questions
Chapter 94 - 46
Chapter 95 - 45 and questions on on-line check-in and room requests
Chapter 96 - 39...what now?!?!?!
Chapter 97 - 38 and the Official Countdown!
Chapter 98 - 37 is how many hours???
Chapter 99 - 33 and a busy weekend so already behind on our countdown calendar!
Chapter 100 - 33 continued...
Chapter 101 - 32
Chapter 102 - We have hit 30!!!!
Chapter 103 - the real countdown, a suprise, and changes...
Chapter 104 - 29
Chapter 105 - 28
Chapter 106 - 27
Chapter 107 - 26
Chapter 108 - 25
Chapter 109 - 24
Chapter 110a - 23
CHapter 110b - wait a minute...
Chapter 111 = 22
Chapter 112 - 21
Chapter 113 - 20
Chapter 114 - 19
Chapter 115 - 18
Chapter 116 - 17
Chapter 117 - 16
Chapter 118 - 15
Chapter 119 - 14
Chapter 120 - 13
Chapter 121 - 12
Chapter 122 - 11
Chapter 123 - 10
Chapter 124 - 9
Chapter 125 - 8
Chapter 126 - 7
Chapter 127 - 6
Chapter 128 - 5
Chapter 129 - 4
Chapter 103 - 3
Chapter 131 - 2
Chapter 132 - 1

Last edited by tyandskyesmom; 08-12-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

How This Came About...

...like we need a "how", right???

Well, coming home on the plane from our last trip in April the kids, well Skyler mainly, cause she's a Daddy's Girl...and he's a sucker....said she wanted to bring Daddy back because it has been a long time since he went with us. See our last three trips have been sans Daddy. So we have spent over 35 days in The World while he vacationed at home... Hey, it works for all of us! But back to the story. So, she is going on about it and Tyler jumps in (I think because he's had a lot of estrogen on his vacations in the past three trips...not that he has a problem with it, he's good with princesses and all but an evened out playing field probably sounded good right about now!). So I tell them that if they want that to happen, they will have to start cutting back on the extras...meaning not eating out all the time, not begging for stupid toys that they will play with once and never again, etc. And they say ok. In fact, they both had spending money with them from Christmas and their birthdays (one just after Christmas and one just before Easter) that they did not spend all of and they both said it was going into the savings for our next trip to Mickey's.

And you know what???? They came home and the first thing Skye did was take out all her left over money and stuff it into the change jar...and Tyler followed her. Truthfully, I did not really expect an 11 year old (Tyler) and a 6 year old (Skyler) to do that...especially without coaxing...but lo and behold, miracles do happen! So we told Daddy what they were doing and he said he'd believe it when he sees it. And we went to bed.

The next day after school and work Skyler asks when we are going to count the change in the jar. They love counting the change in that jar! So we did. And we were off to a good little start.

The next day at work I decided to figure out the "when, where, and how much" of a Disney Vacation. I tried various senarios...different resorts...different dining plans...different tickets. I finally came up with a plan that sounded like something do-able with a medium amount of being good on the money spending front.

I decided we'd venture out from July 14, 2011 thru July 31, 2011. The first eleven nights would be all of us and then the rest would be just me and the kids...becasue with Lou's job I don't think he'll be able to get that much time off but that first eleven days would be just a week off becasue of the way his schedule works. We'd stay at All Star Movies (becasue for some reason whenever we talk about which hotel is our favorite Tyler and I say Animal Kingdom Lodge and Skye says the Dalmation Hotel.) We would do the quick service dining plan with 10 day hoppers. I was not sure what we would do got the last part but I was leaning towards turning the kid's and my passes into Annual Passes. The reason for that was the extra days on this trip and becasue Skye's Dance Team was planning on dancing there in 2012 and it would all work out.

I contacted my online travel agent and booked it...11 nights All Star Movies, QSDP, 10 day hopper on one reservation and a six night room only at All Star Movies.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

But wait...

As I looked at our reservation again and again (as we all do over and over again) I got to thinking about seasons. No, not summer, fall, winter, and spring...Disney Seasons. And I knew that July was peak vacation time so would be one of the most expensive times of the year to go. I also figured that it is probably one of the least likely times of the year to get discounts.

And then the discounts were announced for into 2011. And my dates did not fall into these at all.

And the kids would miss the first two weeks for football and cheerleading.

So I immediately went to the free dining offer dates. The kids and I had Deluxe Dining on our fourteen and fifteen night trips prior to the last one. And on our April trip with Grammy we had the Quick Service Dining Plan. We loved both of them but the Deluxe sooo much more! So I looked at those dates. Darn! We cannot do a two week trip all under the free dining time frame becasue the kids go back to school. Now I don't mind pulling them out of school at all...I've done it many times but it will be the first week of school and Tyler is starting junior high next year...so I did not want him to miss the start of that. Darn, darn, darn. They really know how to work it don't they?!?! So after more figuring I decided to check out cost of All Star Movies room only from August 13, 2011 thru August 19, 2011 for me and the kids and then August 19, 2011 thru August 28, 2011 for all of us at All Star movies with the free dining upgraded to Deluxe Dining and also the same at Caribbean Beach. My online travel agent priced it all out for me and all of it was cheaper than the other one...by quite a bit. And Caribbean Beach would only cost a few hundred dollars more than All Star Movies.

SO guess what we ended up with??? Come on guess!!!

I cancelled the first trip in July and booked for August. All-Star Movies for six nights room only for me and the kids. Caribbean Beach for nine nights for all of us with the upgrade to Deluxe Dining and two day base passes.

We decided to do two day base passes becasue I was still unsure about tickets for the first part and still considering annual passes. And if worse comes to worse, which is still WONDERFUL!!!!, we can upgrade the two day base passes to ten day hoppers when we arrive. That works for me.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

And What Do We Have Here?

And then I come into work last week and there is a little e-mail from Mickey. It is a PIN code for free hopper and water parks and more added to a four night stay/four day base pass. And our dates fall into the timeframe!!! Getting the PIN is not the remarkable part of this story becasue I seem to be getting them every time I turn around! But getting one I can really use...now that's exciting!

So I though about it.

And thought some more.

And Lou hates, hates, hates water. I mean, I am lucky he showers. No, I am exaggerating there...and he will sit in a hot tub for a very short timeframe. But I cannot even get him to take the kids to the pool in the summer and sit on the deck...dry...hates it that much.

But on one of our long trips in January, the kids and I got a free water parks and more form Disney Visa. It was our first time exploring the water parks. Well, unlike my husband, my kids LOVE water!!!!

So then I came up with the plan.
(This is my quest to see how many smiles I can use in one post)

I contacted my online travel agent again (good thing she loves me! ) and had her book the first six nights with four day base passes with the free hopper and water parks and more. And had her leave the second part alone. I will probably just upgrade the two day base passes to ten day hoppers when we arrive. That way my package that will need to be paid off will be about $700.00 cheaper at the 45 day mark.

And we found out since then that Skye's Dance Team is actually planning DisneyLAND in 2012...so that will be a whole new experience for us!!!

So my ticket delema is solved.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

Introductions

So I guess it's time to introduce us...

First we have Skyler...

She is 6 1/2 and will be 7 1/4 at the time of the trip. Even though she was born at a whopping 11 pounds 2 ounces she is my little dinky dink. She is now just over 41 inches tall and about 37 poounds. Yep...tiny!

She is my positive child. She is smart. She is at present time a Titan Cheerleader (her second year) where she is a flyer and tumbler four times a week. She is a gymnast (since she was 3) once a week where she is trying to convince herself that it is ok to do a flip flop without anyone's hand behind her! She is doing them all by herself but she wont let us take away that safety net! Twice a week she is a dancer (since the age of 3)...she has a ballet class, a tap class, and a jazz class with her age group and just this year was asked to join the competition level one team. She is one of nine girls and all the others are over ten years old. She is so excited. My favorite quote from her was when her dance instructor asked if she wanted to be on the team. We walked out of the class and got in the car and she said to me "See Mom, sometimes hard work is fun."

She loves all things Disney. She is a better eater than her brother and is less chicken...even though her favorite animal is a chicken...

ChiChi isn't usually allowed out of the hotel room becasue we are afraid of losing him! Good for him he likes to relax in the room but the day before this Skye had bought him his Mickey Ears and t-shirt so he wanted to show it off. He made it back safe and sound!

We call Skye Princess Chicken Wing or Monkey or Mouse.

Her favorite color is Hot Pink and she is in the provess of turning her room hot pink and brown and white zebra patterned. Ya, we skipped little girl and went right to teenager. Her favorite character is Ariel but she is not all princessy anymore...she's much to cool for that...but in a good way! Her favorite movie is anything Shrek. Her park is Disney Hollywood Studios. Her favorite ride is Big Thunder Mountain. Her favorite restaurant is "Little-knee" or Tutto Italia in Italy.

While she is a girl and high maintenance she is my easy child. She is not whiney or picky and will usually do whatever and enjoy herself. Where she came from I really do not know!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

Ok, It's Now 303 More Days...

...is that better?!?!?!?

So it seems like I am talking to myself. I'll just have to pretend I have Dis Friends to hang out with here...my imaginary Dis Friends. I guess that's better than nothing!

So I explained what is booked to Lou and the kids yesterday. I lost the kids to Disney Channel. Lou's eyes glazed over about one minute into the explanation.

Then it was time for cheer practice and I had to drop it.

On that note though...Skye's team has six more practices until their first competition. It's rough. Some days they look really good...others, well, not. We have a team of thirty kindergarden, first, and second graders and only nine of them have cheered before! They have improved greatly over the past week...noticably! But there are still those problem spots and problem girls. And by that I mean the girls that right now it is just beyond them to get hold of the dance correctly. So, wish us luck and good practice for the next week becasue we are going to need it!!!

Last edited by tyandskyesmom; 10-19-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

How 'Bout 302???

So I got home yesterday ready to do some updates to my on-going trip report from our April 2010 trip and introduce another on this pre-trip report and all i have on my computer is a blue screen! I am really hoping it is not "THE" blue screen becasue I am really hoping to get a new camera soon not a new computer!!!

Speaking of cameras, I see so many great pictures on here...what do you all use? I hear a lot about the Canon Rebel but there are different models...which is the easiest to use for a non-photographer type person while still getting great pictures...one that I can easily teach myself to use?

I was looking at the xS and the xSi but don't really know much about the difference...

Anyone????
Old 10-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

299???

I know you all missed days 301 and 300 but my computer at home is still being a pain!!!

Well, I did on-line check-in this morning for my parents and printed their Southwest Boarding passes...must have a lot of people paying for that Early Bird thingy becasue I was on at 7:44am for their 7:40am flight and they got boarding passes numbered 40B and 41B...I've never been that far back!

They are staying four nights at Pop Century just becasue they can! And they like to rub it in that I can't!!!!

That's ok...in 299 more days, I'll be the one rubbing it in!!!!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

Well Lou drove my parents to Midway Airport this morning and said it was CROWDED! Why so crowded mid-October on a Tuesday morning???

So they should have just taken off about 20 minutes ago.

And we're stuck with their crazy puppy for five days! And taking care of their African Grey and Macaw...in addition to everything else going on this week...the kids and I will go pick them up from the airport on Saturday night after football. Their flight comes in at 8:30pm but we love having an excuse to go to the airport...although we like that excuse to end in us not coming home but we can't win 'em all!

So it is 298 more days today and I have a broken computer at home, a computer at work that I cannot access my photobucket account from so I cannot do proper updates, and a lot of catching up to do on our last trip report. We have a countdown going but I cannot tell you about it or show you it yet becasue I cannot get to that part yet. We have materials to make out other countdown calendar but no time to make it yet and I cannot tell you about it yet becasue I cannot get to that part yet. Hhhhmmmm....maybe I'll go to my parent's house tonight and update on their computer...that might work...but after cheer and football practice... I'll have to play around here too and see if I can figure out how to get to my photobucket account at work...

So in lue of all my issues, it is still 298 more days....yippee!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
mousetravel
DIS Veteran

Hey, I'll be your Dis friend! I know what you mean by the 300& something days to wait. We have a Disney Cruise planned for June 2011, and we can not stop thinking about it or planning for it! I want to do a PTR for it, but debating on doing it too soon. I gotta get more Dis friends on board with my other TR, still in progress!

Now off to read your other TR's!
Mom/Daughter PTR: Christmas Trip! 2011 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post42724982
Mom/Daughter Trip Report June 2011: Disney Dream! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2744972
Mom/Daughter Trip Report: Disney & Sea World 2010
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2443520

Mom/Daughter Trip Report: WDW & Disney Cruise 2009 ttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2095302
Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #11
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

Yea! Hi friend!

I know it is a long time coming and this is the longest I have planned a trip ever but I love planning and talking about Disney so I am hoping to do all that here...

Your daughter is beautiful...looks like you have a lot of fun travelling together!
Old 10-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #12
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

So just to rub it in more...I just got an e-mail from my parents from Spaceship Earth!!!!

So I guess it is safe to say they decided on Epcot for today. They do not have hoppers this time around and are definately NOT Dissers so they went into it without a clear plan...I know, am I really related to these people??? GASP!!!

I did equip them with a park hours schedule and I wrote at the bottom what I would do if it were me...because Main Street Electrical Parade is only happening once while there are there and Fantasmic is only one day too...and because I am a planner and I couldn't resist!!!!

I did not get any phone call so I am assuming all went well with online check in and Magical Express and their flight.

They were unable to book LeCellier becasue they were well within their 180 days when they actually booked the trip so they were going to inquire about a walk up but they know not to put much hope into that.

Well, if you cannot tell...I'm jealous!!!! And I want to be at Mickey's House and instead I get to go to work and cheer practice all week...
Old 10-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #13
disneyplanningdad
Mouseketeer

The thread name caught my eye so I had to count. I'm 307 days out and I just booked 5 nights at YC for August. I agree, planning is half the fun.

me (45) DW(I'm not telling) DS (13) DS(15) and a Brand new

Old 10-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #14
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyplanningdad View Post
The thread name caught my eye so I had to count. I'm 307 days out and I just booked 5 nights at YC for August. I agree, planning is half the fun.
Oooohhhh....our first thought was to do the first two nights room only at Yacht Club or Beach Club and just hang out at the pool and around the Boardwalk to begin our trip but then the more and more we talked about it, the more and more expensive the trip got...which made it more and more unobtainable! So, Yacht Club dream is put back on hold again...someday we'll get there though!

When are you going? We can muse about our planning together!

I have already changed reservations around three times...but I think we have a keeper now.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
disneyplanningdad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyandskyesmom View Post
Oooohhhh....our first thought was to do the first two nights room only at Yacht Club or Beach Club and just hang out at the pool and around the Boardwalk to begin our trip but then the more and more we talked about it, the more and more expensive the trip got...which made it more and more unobtainable! So, Yacht Club dream is put back on hold again...someday we'll get there though!

When are you going? We can muse about our planning together!

I have already changed reservations around three times...but I think we have a keeper now.
We are going August 22d through 27th. We live in the Northeast so the boys won't be in school yet. That is the start of the value season so it is the best price for the year at the Deluxe resorts. It is also free dining which we love. Planning our dining will be fun with so many restaurants in that area. My boys loved YC last time we visited but we had bad luck with the weather so they don't mind going back to the pool. It is the best!

me (45) DW(I'm not telling) DS (13) DS(15) and a Brand new

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: