Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Verstehen
But...they don't TASTE like apples!

A WDW Junkie is going to DL? Crazy!

Hi everyone!

So, I'm a WDW annual passholder, but in a few weeks I'll be going to a conference in Long Beach. And since I will be arriving a day early, I've decided to rent a car and spend the day at what my friend Shelby would call the mouse-in-law (though she lives in Anaheim, so technically, my mouse is her mouse-in-law). I won't be going to CA, just MK, and I was wondering if y'all had any suggestions for what to do. To give you an idea of what I'm interested in:

-I may or may not have a friend with me. If I do, would you recommend any of the sit down places? It would have to be pretty reasonable, because I don't want to strain her wallet. Otherwise, where are the best counter service places?
-I'm totally fine with doing an attraction that can also be found in WDW, unless it's a carbon copy. I've heard that POTC and iasw are better than their WDW counterparts. And I'm a huge HM fan, so of course that's going on the list.
-I know Fantasmic is slightly different from the HL version, but is it worth it? Is the parade any different from the WDW version?

Any tips, suggestions, whatever, are totally appreciated. I know all four WDW pretty much like the back of my hand, but I know that DL is different, though similar in some ways too. I know it's nothing new to visit both resorts, but being that I live so close to WDW and love it so much this feels like a whole new experience for some reason.

"Danger is My Cup of Tea." A Labor Day Weekend Trip Report!

1991: CBR, 1994: WL, 1994: POR (Dixie Landings), 1995: WL, 1997: CSR, 2001: POFQ, 2008: Offsite, 2010: WL (CL!), 2011: POFQ, 2012: DLR! (Offsite, day trip), CBR

Florida resident annual passholder! Too many day trips to list here! Exclamation point!
Verstehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Plaza inn for counter service.

You have to ride:
Pirates
IASM
Space Mtn
Tiki Room
All of Fantasyland
See Billy Hill and the Hillbillies at the Golden Horseshoe
Buzz Lightyear essentially the same ride but with extra room and guns are removable
Fantasmic! is much better than at WDW
Parades are different
Remember Dreams Come True Fireworks is SO MUCH BETTER than Wishes! It's my favorite fireworks show.
If you can Ride the Lilly Belle train car
Splash isn't as good as WDW
Don't miss Indy either.

Have a blast at Walt's park and this WDW vets new "home park"!

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

This may help:

"A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verstehen View Post
-I may or may not have a friend with me. If I do, would you recommend any of the sit down places? It would have to be pretty reasonable, because I don't want to strain her wallet. Otherwise, where are the best counter service places?
Cafe Orleans would be a nice table service option for you. Counter service? Lots of options and you will get lots of opinions. Redd Rockett's Pizza Port, Rancho Zolcalo, Plaza Inn.

Quote:
-I'm totally fine with doing an attraction that can also be found in WDW, unless it's a carbon copy. I've heard that POTC and iasw are better than their WDW counterparts. And I'm a huge HM fan, so of course that's going on the list.
Do Space Mtn also. The DL version had a major refurb a few years ago and it is awesome.

Also look at the Fantasyland rides - Storybook Land Canal Boats would be totally worth it. Finding Nemo subs might be a fun for you.

Also, if you can handle Dinosaur do Indiana Jones ride.

Quote:
-I know Fantasmic is slightly different from the HL version, but is it worth it? Is the parade any different from the WDW version?
DL has a cool SoundSational parade that is totally worth it. Fantasmic at DL is better than at WDW but is probably not worth your time if only on a day trip because of all the waiting you would need to do. This thread may help:

"Fantasmic! Superthread" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2671983

Quote:

Any tips, suggestions, whatever, are totally appreciated. I know all four WDW pretty much like the back of my hand, but I know that DL is different, though similar in some ways too. I know it's nothing new to visit both resorts, but being that I live so close to WDW and love it so much this feels like a whole new experience for some reason.
Read the DLR Guide linked at the top and the stickies at the top of this forum.

DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

Definitely do PoTC, IASW and Space Mountain. They're all far better at DL. Also I second Storybook Land Canal boats, it's been one of my favorites since the late 70s and just gets better every time I go back. Also, if you like the Tiki Room and Dole Whips, go to DLs Tik Room, you can get a Dole Whip right outside and enjoy it during the show. I like the DL Tiki pre-show a bit better as well, it's very different than the one at WDW.

As for food, I'd agree with the above. The Blue Bayou is my favorite Disney restaurant anywhere, but it's pricey. If you can swing it though (I'd say to budget about $40 per person), there's nothing better than eating your meal inside the ride. I adore watching the "fireflies" on the bayou and seeing the boats sliding by.

Mostly just have a good time. Disneyland is an amazing place.

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
CamoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
Verstehen

Thanks all! The guide for vets is awesome. The Dinosaur ride is actually one of the few rides at WDW that I *can't* handle, but that's because the animatronics freak me out, and not the ride mechanics. Is that what you were referring to, HydroGuy?

1991: CBR, 1994: WL, 1994: POR (Dixie Landings), 1995: WL, 1997: CSR, 2001: POFQ, 2008: Offsite, 2010: WL (CL!), 2011: POFQ, 2012: DLR! (Offsite, day trip), CBR

Florida resident annual passholder! Too many day trips to list here! Exclamation point!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
limace
DIS Veteran

Dinosaur scares the crap outa me but I do fine on Indiana. The ride mechanism is the same and some people find it too jarring.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
tinkermell
Th boards are going nuts!
Beware of the stalkers

Fantasyland!
Do all of the dark rides not found in WDW first thing in the morning. Very important!!! This would be: Alice, Pinnochio, Toad.
Next would be Storybook Land, Casey Junior Train, walk through Sleeping Beauty's Castle. (Which by the way, will be way smaller than Cindy's. LOL. You have been warned.)

Matterhorn if open? First tubular roller coaster built. A classic.

Small world.
Walk a little farther and check out Toon Town. It is set up way nicer than the now 'torn' down one at WDW.

Space!!

Pirates for sure!!!

An absolute must is Indiana Jones. Far superior to Dinosaur! The queue is worth it alone!

New Orleans Square is probably one of everyone's favorite places to see and sit down for a breather. Usually have jazz bands playing.

The new parade Soundsational is wonderful. You might catch it while walking in the afternoon.

Like KCMike said, the firework show Remember Dreams Come True, is by far the best one Disney has. Very nostalgic to Walt Disney and the Magic Kingdom. If you love Disney, this should give you goose bumps. Be sure to watch it from the hub facing the castle with no trees in the way!

One of my new favorite counter service places to eat is the Holly Jolly Bakery and Sandwich shop. Homemade chips and super good caprese and tuna sandwiches.

My fav sit down would be Cafe Orleans. Order the pomme frites and Mickey Beignets for sure. If you order the Monte Cristo, be sure to share. It is very heavy, but is also a classic.

If you have time, go see the Billy Hill show. Super fun and good.

Last but certainly not least, do not forget to read Hydroguy's stickys!!

By the way, welcome to the DL boards!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
tinkermell
Th boards are going nuts!
Beware of the stalkers

Quote:
Thanks all! The guide for vets is awesome. The Dinosaur ride is actually one of the few rides at WDW that I *can't* handle, but that's because the animatronics freak me out, and not the ride mechanics. Is that what you were referring to, HydroGuy?
LOL, Dinosaur scared me too. I shut my eyes practically the whole time.

Not so for Indy! It is just plain fantastic!!
Old 04-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #9
mmmears
DIS Veteran

POTC is a must-do. It's so much better at DL!!! I wouldn't miss it! HM is a little different, and since you like it at the MK, it might be fun to check out the one at DL.

And Indiana Jones really is amazing. We hate the Dinosaur ride at AK, but love Indy -- I wish it were less jerky, but the scenes in that ride are really amazing.

Little things in Fantasyland come to mind, like Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad and Storybookland Canal Boats. And there is a ride in Toontown if you like Roger Rabbit.

Personally, I think Fantasmic is much better in DL, but much harder to watch since there is no dedicated space to sit and watch it like there is in DHS. Love the show, though.

I hope you have a great time in DL. It's a great park and you will be amazed how close all the rides are to one another after walking through the MK.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
MAH4546
DIS Veteran

Fantasmic! is significantly different, and significantly better, at Disneyland. You can also literally show up 15 minutes before and get a great spot, unlike the endless waiting in Orlando.
MAH4546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:43 AM   #11
AndyLL
DIS Veteran

Indy is a must see. Best ride in all the parks. (IMO)

IASW & Pirates & Buzz are much much better at Disneyland.

Remember Dreams Come True if it is showing when you are there is the best fireworks so in all the parks. (IMO)

At least walk through toontown... the rides are simular to what used to be at WDW but the theming is great.

I think Fantasmic is better at DL then WDW but if I had to choose between Fantasmic and RDCT I'd choose the fireworks.

If they are running 2 shows it's easy to slide into a good seat for the 2nd show.

Nemo is much different in DL. Space and Splash are a little different.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #12
HydroGuy

Quote:
Yes, I meant the ride mechanism which does bother some people. If you can handle that, Indy will really wow you.
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread

Last edited by HydroGuy; 04-10-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
Verstehen

Thank you guys so much! One more question, what to do about tickets? Last time a family member came to WDW with me, I had her purchase her passes from Undercover Tourist, but it seems that UT doesn't have discount DLR tickets. I haven't been able to find any AAA discounts for just a one day ticket, and I'm hopeful, but not optimistic, that DLR offers a discount for WDW passholders. Should I just order from the official site, or is there another option I might try?

Old 04-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #14
HydroGuy

Quote:
Thank you guys so much! One more question, what to do about tickets? Last time a family member came to WDW with me, I had her purchase her passes from Undercover Tourist, but it seems that UT doesn't have discount DLR tickets. I haven't been able to find any AAA discounts for just a one day ticket, and I'm hopeful, but not optimistic, that DLR offers a discount for WDW passholders. Should I just order from the official site, or is there another option I might try?
There are many places but the two most respected sites around here are Ares and GAT:

www.arestravel.com
www.getawaytoday.com

I have bought thru Ares several times. Never thru GAT but I would not hesitate to. You can usually get a better deal at one of these than on the Disney site directly - and much better than at the gate.

Make sure you do it at least 2 weeks in advance so there is time to receive your tickets at home before you leave!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
Dziactor
Mouseketeer

At DL my favorite counter service is Bengal BBQ. Indiana Jones and Billy Hill & The Hillbillies are a must. I'd do all the rides not at DW like others have said. Have fun!

Dziactor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: