Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Alaska Cruise for (a nervous) first timer?

My husband & I are considering taking a DCL Cruise to Alaska next year. He's always wanted to go to Alaska and go on a cruise, and I'm a huge Disney fan so we figure taking a Disney Cruise will be a good way to combine both our interests.

The one big concern is that unlike my husband, I'm not a fan of boats, ships, etc. I've always been nervous about being on a big cruise ship out in the middle of the ocean - it creeps me out. I took an overnight ferry cruise on a European trip once, and I was fine on that, but I'm worried that being on a longer cruise I'll panic.

What I really need to know is how smooth is the cruising to Alaska? I heard Pete mention on the podcast that he had a choppy cruise in the Mediterranean. I know any serious cruise turbulence would make me really nervous. I've also been spooked by seeing news reports of big waves causing turbulence on cruise ships, and I'm wondering if this is particularly a problem for Alaska cruises.

Can anyone with Alaska cruise experience provide some insight? Do Alaska cruises tend to be turbulent? Would you recommend we start with a shorter cruise out of Florida as our first cruise experience? Thanks!
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
clten
DIS Veteran

While weather can vary cruise to cruise, our Alaska cruise on Princess a few years ago was the smoothest cruise we've ever been on. If you look at the map of the cruise, you will see most of the time, the ship is in waterways with land on both sides so not on the open seas.
clten is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clten View Post
If you look at the map of the cruise, you will see most of the time, the ship is in waterways with land on both sides so not on the open seas.
I was just going to say this same thing. The DCL itinerary looks like the calmest one for Alaska. I have read that the one-ways to/from Anchorage are much rougher, as are the sailings from Seattle.

I understand where you are coming from -- I felt the same way. We tried the 3-nt DCL cruise for that very reason and had a great time on it. So now we're willing to try the DCL cruise to Alaska.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I've cruised to Alaska twice from Vancouver (both one-way) and once from Seattle. Two of my cruises departing from Port Canaveral encountered rougher seas than any of my Alaska cruises.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
smeecanada
DIS Veteran

We did basically the same itinerary last year in the middle of August. Calm seas the whole way. July and August are not stormy times of the year for the Westcoast. You may get rain, but most likely without the wind.
: 1992, 2007, 2013
DCL: AUG07 4day: Wonder, AUG08 15day EB REPO, 04JUL09 EASTERN, 23OCT10 EASTERN, 23AUG11 ALASKA, 25AUG12 NY/BAHAMAS, 24AUG13 FANTASY EASTERN 20SEP14 SOUTHERN
smeecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

You are not going to be out in the middle of the ocean. For the most part, the cruise hugs the coastline, and, as others have said, for a good portion of it, you actually have land on both sides of you. When I cruised Alaska with Princess, it was the calmest sailing I have ever been on.

Here's a picture of the path that DCL is taking in Alaska. You are never that far from land.

Here you can see the route the Med cruise that Pete (and I) took went on. As you can see, a great deal more of it was out in "open water". Totally different experience from sailing in Alaska.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
Mommb
Mouseketeer

My first cruise was an Alaskan one, and I don't remember feeling the movement of the boat much at all. In contrast, I usually feel just a touch queasy on the first night after leaving Port Canaveral on Disney cruises. I think a Disney cruise to Alaska would ne a great choice for you and your husband -- there is no need to do an East Coast cruise first.

Happy planning!
Mommb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Thanks!

Wow, this is all great information - thanks so much to everyone!

kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:17 AM   #9
Edd

Mouseketeer

You know if you worry about getting sick cruising you will probably get sick from the worrying but not the cruising. I was once on a trip many years ago on a ship that was avoiding a hurricane. It was a 20 ton cruise ship about 1/4 the size of the DCL.The ship was rolling from left to right constantly. Even though it was about my 9th or 10th cruise I was starting to get a woozy stomache. I decided I would get out onto the deck and walk around in the wind and rain. It was breezy out there, but you know what, I didn't get sick and I personally think it was because I was so worried about getting blown off the ship that I forgot to worry about my stomache and it, my stomache, never got sick.

Now when I get qweezy, rarely, on a rough cruise I just get out on the decks and walk around in the windy weather. I don't get sick cruising. I think the sickness is partly in the head, like ulcers you worry to much.

Last edited by Edd; 10-10-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:28 AM   #10
eeyorefanuk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
You are not going to be out in the middle of the ocean. For the most part, the cruise hugs the coastline, and, as others have said, for a good portion of it, you actually have land on both sides of you. When I cruised Alaska with Princess, it was the calmest sailing I have ever been on.

Here's a picture of the path that DCL is taking in Alaska. You are never that far from land.

Here you can see the route the Med cruise that Pete (and I) took went on. As you can see, a great deal more of it was out in "open water". Totally different experience from sailing in Alaska.

Sayhello
I am the same as the OP and have agreed to do the med cruise next year as DH wanted to try it and like the OP I love disney. We are on the 3rd September one and now I am worried that the water will be rough. Do not want to cancel but worried

Last edited by eeyorefanuk; 10-10-2010 at 06:46 AM.
eeyorefanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #11
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyorefanuk View Post
I am the same as the OP and have agreed to do the med cruise next year as DH wanted to try it and like the OP I love disney. We are on the 3rd September one and now I am worried that the water will be rough. Do not want to cancel but worried
I don't know what to tell you. I went on the Med cruise this year, in May, and we *did* have rough water for much of the cruise, especially the first few days. It was a fabulous cruise, but I'm not going to lie to you, it was rough.

You might want to talk to your doctor about getting the Patch or something to prevent seasickness. I wish I'd started with it before the cruise; by the time I felt it, and put the patch on (and I did not have enough with me for the whole cruise) it was too late, and I was "off" for the entire time I was on the ship. I've never been sick on a cruise before.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, dcl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: