Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

How long do refrigerators last?

My Montgomery Ward (made by Frigidaire) side by side, is running all the time. Everything on the web suggests cleaning the coils, so I will attempt this later today. The refrigerator is right at 39 degrees, and the freezer at
-5, so it's keeping stuff cold, just not shutting off.

I realize, with my refrigerator being 27 1/2 years old, I am on borrowed time.
I looked at some charts on the internet saying the average life should be 8 to 14 years, seems like it should be longer than that.

How long to you expect your refrigerator to last? I guess it's better to replace a refrigerator that running rather than losing the food in their when it dies, which could be years from now.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Ours will be 12 in April. It's on it's last leg. It's keeping everything cold, but it runs constantly. I feel like it should have lasted longer than that, but we've replaced many appliances in our home at around 10 -12 years of age. I don't like it, but everything is being made very "disposable" these days.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

I just had this conversation with the appliance repair person this week. We built this house almost 5 years ago & we put 2 dishwashers in the kitchen. They BOTH broke the same week! When I called for service they asked how old they were, and I said 5 years. "Oh" they said, "then we'll have to see if you want to repair them or just replace them." Replace them?? They said yes the average life span of newer appliances is 7 years. So I shouldn't have complained about that Avacado Green White Westinghouse monster fridge in my 1st condo that lasted 25 years...

Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
[/SIZE]
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

My GE turned 16 (wow, I didn't think it was that old) in July. I'm waiting for the day that I come home to melted ice cream in my freezer. I half expected to return from our 10 day trip to WDW in August to a rotten food stink - and was pleasantly surprised that it's still going. No, they don't make them like they did 27 1/2 years ago!

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (17); Bear (6); Cosmo (6? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Currently the fridge we have is 5yo. Who knows how long it will last but no way is it going to last 27yrs.

We are on our fourth house and have had 3 fridges but one of them we left with a house when we sold it.

We have a fridge in the basement that we are not using at the moment.

We did kill the dishwasher here after 2 1/2 yrs (we bought a model home). It was cheap. Now we have a very nice dishwasher.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

Our first one lasted about 11 years. Our current one is about 2 years old and I don't like it, so it will probably last forever.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbabyblues View Post
Our first one lasted about 11 years. Our current one is about 2 years old and I don't like it, so it will probably last forever.
Funny how that works.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
My Montgomery Ward (made by Frigidaire) side by side, is running all the time. Everything on the web suggests cleaning the coils, so I will attempt this later today. The refrigerator is right at 39 degrees, and the freezer at
-5, so it's keeping stuff cold, just not shutting off.

I realize, with my refrigerator being 27 1/2 years old, I am on borrowed time.
I looked at some charts on the internet saying the average life should be 8 to 14 years, seems like it should be longer than that.

How long to you expect your refrigerator to last? I guess it's better to replace a refrigerator that running rather than losing the food in their when it dies, which could be years from now.
It's past time to replace that fridge. You're going to be surprised when you get a new one how much less electricity it uses.
scrapquitler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Appliances are the quintessential "they don't make 'em like they used to" items. When my mother had to move to assistant living a few years ago she had to sell the freezer that was 35+ years old and still working. The realtor bought it. DW and I had a washer/dryer combo that came with the house when we bought it in 1985. They still worked when we moved out in 2006(though I think they were going to fail soon). We now live in a place that is about a dozen years old and I can tell that we will be replacing some of our appliances within the next couple of years (already had to replace the air conditioning).
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

How long do they last?

I don't know, but mine is 18 yo and still runs fine.

My boss has very high end appliances and has nothing but trouble with all of them - washer, dryer, oven, dishwasher, stove, fridge, furnace, etc. It seems like not a week goes by that she doesn't have a service call in for one of them. And I know she spent a fortune on each of them. I keep telling her that my base model Kenmores have never needed service (hope I'm not jinxing myself). The dishwasher and oven are also 18, and the stove is the original, so must be 30+ yo.
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

My fridge (also made by Frigidaire way back when...) is currently over 24 years old. Looks like I can reasonably expect another 3 years life out of it.

We have been thinking of replacing the fridge for a more energy efficient fridge. But no plans to do anything about it until it breaks down; or if we find a pot of money somewhere...

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #12
mrsheppo
Mom to 11 and still partially sane
Isn't Heppo one of the Marx Brothers?

My refrigerator just went out recently. I had it for 12 years and it was a Kenmore. On the other hand, I had a freezer that my parents bought from JC Penney's back in 1975. They used it for 15 years before passing it on to me. I had it for 19 years and just passed it on to my DD last year. It is still going strong with it's third generation of owners and never had a service call.

mrsheppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:45 PM   #13
tvguy

Followup question..

Just back from Sears. Okay, why don't refrigerators have a built in egg shelf anymore?
60 floor models, Kenmore, Samsung, Frigidaire, LG, GE, Maytag, none had a place for eggs.
Also amazing price range, looking at a 27 Cubic Foot side by side, price range runs from $780 (Frigidaire) to $2,999 (LG) .

Really like the Kenmore (made by LG) for $863.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #14
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

When I moved into my house in 2000, I started replacing all the appliances. I wasn't replacing them because they were broken, the all worked like new, but they were original to the house, 1968. My fridge didn't have a handle, it had a foot pedal to depress to open. It was still very cold inside, but the problem was we couldn't even fit a gallon of milk in it. I'd say the usable space was about 1/3 of the overall size of the fridge. My washing machine also worked flawlessly. My wife grew up with well problems, thus when we saw that the washing machine was working on draining Lake Erie with the 2nd load for the day, she wanted it replaced with a front loader.

Since replacing our 32 year old fridge and washing machine around 2000-2001, we are on our 2nd fridge and 2nd washing machine replacements. We are also on our 2nd dishwasher (first one was a new installation the week we moved in since there was none.) The cloths dryer wasn't original to the house, but we also replaced it twice now.

We also replaced the stove when we installed the 2nd dishwasher, but the old stove wasn't original to the house being built. That's $5550 worth of appliances spent in 10 years after replacing perfectly working 32 year old appliances.
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #15
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

I just replaced my 25 year old refrigerator when it finally bit the dust recently. Actually, the new stainless steel counter depth replacement we bought looks pretty nice!

Anyway, wanted to add: before having to replace it, I noticed that our old fridge was running most of the time. This is where it gets scary: the night before we were to leave town for 2 weeks, I just happened to notice that the side of the refrigerator was very, very HOT! (I had been checking to see if the heat was from the oven being left on). I think the compressor was about to burn up from overheating and catching it when I did saved us from a house fire with no one home. So please be careful.
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: