Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
maiyasmom
Mouseketeer

Kennels @ Disney

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum but a long time listener of The DIS Unplugged show. I'm a DVC member and visit the World more often now and would like to travel with my little dog next time. Has anyone used the overnight kennels at Disney? Any information and reviews are much appreciated! Thanks.
maiyasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
jacstangler
The Grey Mouse

Hi: yes we have used the kennels 3 times recently and have had no problems. We use the one at Epcot. It is best to make a reservation. We did this on line. Disney does not run but the company that does is a national company. DVC members get a discount. The cost is reasonable compared to other kennels we checked. There are several kennels at Disney. Some
require you to visit and walk your dog during the day. The one at Epcot does not require this. Tell the person at the entrance to the parking that you are there for the kennel and they direct you and no cost to park. As a DVC member you probably would not pay anyway. They can furnish the food and no extra charge but you may want your own. We have been very satisfied so far, but as with anything not everyone has the same experience.
good luck.

John
jacstangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
maiyasmom
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much for your response and information. It was very helpful. My DH is concerned about the facilities for sleeping for the dog etc. Do they sleep in a crate? He's never boarded before so this would be our first time. Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
jacstangler
The Grey Mouse

Hi: the name of the company is Best friends pet care inc. They have a site you can go into and you can then locate the kennel at Epcot's phone number direct. Give them a call and ask questions. The dogs are in what I would call a cage. The bigger the dog the bigger the cage and of course the bigger dogs cost more to board. There are different extra fees for extra walks etc.
If you are like me you will feel quilty leaving them there but they are well taken care of. Your other option would be to find a relative or friend at home to care for the pet and pay them a fee. We have done that also. I had always worried about the dog getting away from the person. With the Pet care company you would not have that worry. Again give them a call.

good luck John
jacstangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
maiyasmom
Mouseketeer

John, I took your advice and called the kennel. I got a lot of information and am considering boarding our dog there. Thanks again. 53 more days until our next Disney vacation!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
YetiRider
Earning My Ears

Hi - I've boarded my dogs at Epcot and they've been absolutely fine. The people who work there really care about dogs, so I feel less guilty leaving them there. I've even called during the day to check up on them! Just make sure you leave them detailed instructions. I've found that to be helpful anytime I leave my dogs with anyone.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
maiyasmom
Mouseketeer

Thank you! I'm feeling better and better about this. My mom usually cares for my dog but she's elderly and its becoming a bigger responsibility for her. I also lke traveling with him and hate leaving him behind. Thanks again for your advice.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:38 AM   #8
Steve-O
Tampa via NOLA

New Disney Kennel

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiyasmom View Post
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum but a long time listener of The DIS Unplugged show. I'm a DVC member and visit the World more often now and would like to travel with my little dog next time. Has anyone used the overnight kennels at Disney? Any information and reviews are much appreciated! Thanks.
I have used the kennels at EPCOT, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood studios a number of times and found them to be a reasonably good and clean habitat for a loved pet. Best Friends, who have been operating the kennels in a professional and pet-friendly manner for several years, have shut them all down in favor of one new, large, fancy pet “prison”. Why a prison? 1) The only material thing dogs have with them at all times to connect them to their owner both logically and emotionally is their collar. This is immediately removed from the dog when they are processed in (substitute a plastic collar, aka Orange Jumpsuit). 2) The dogs’ own leash, over which the owners have the ability to maintain sanitation, is replaced with a shared leather leash over which neither the owner nor the facility has any control of the sanitation. (no belts in this prison!) 3) Unlike the older kennels where the known and trusted owners take the animals to and from their kennels, the new facility does not allow owners past the front processing desk. So the animals get no reassurance when they are put into their kennel and probably even worse, are fetched out of their kennel by some stranger. So if the animal is nervous about being in the kennel, imagine what it must be like to have some stranger come and try to get you to go somewhere else. We teach our children not to go off with strangers and we expect the same of our pets. Of course, in prison all those rules go out the window. 4) There are more people working at this location than the prior kennels. Pets do not have the ability to get to know any particular staffer (guard). 5) Even with more staff at the larger location there are not enough. Long waits to retrieve your pet for personal time or to return them afterwards are typical (I imagine just like visiting a prison inmate). The facility, itself is impressive (to humans) and it is probably reasonably good for the pets but the processes around treatment of the pets from their arrival to their departure is more focused on humans’ and lawyers’ interests than the best interests of the pets. The pictures are representative of only a very few areas, most of which your pet will never see. Their idea of a “Suite” (upgraded but not deluxe accommodations) is a typical kennel cage with one sliding steel wall that opens several times a day to a small outdoor fenced area. They probably think it’s a great freedom for the dogs (as if they were human). I think that the dogs finally get used to their cages and then a wall disappears to expose another unfamiliar area. I’m sure all these “features” would be beneficial for a long term stay with plenty of time to become accustomed to them all. However, for a few days, the pets are in a constant state of confusion. Needless to say I will NEVER take my dog back to this prison.

Last edited by Steve-O; 10-04-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
DizDoggieMom
Earning My Ears

Oh my goodness, Steve-O, I just read your scathing review and couldn't disagree more!! In fact, I just returned from an AMAZING trip to WDW, and left my little doggies at the new facility. My kids remarked that the place was nicer than some of the hotels we've stayed at on previous vacations!!!
My dogs were treated like special little people (granted, they're the cutest little things and you can't help but love them
anyway, in all fairness, i'd say if you can't check the place out yourself, visit the website, visit the Facebook page and see what people are saying. I am a crazy dog mom, did a lot of research, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the place.
Thanks for listening!
wdw.bestfriendspetcare.com

DizDoggieMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: