Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
aenelson
Queen in Training

Claustrophobic

I am just wondering what you would suggest me not to go on if I am claustrophobic. As far as I know the two rides I can not do is Stitch, Rockin RC and Mission Space. What else would you suggest me not to go on?

"He's my sun, my moon, my stars, my Disney Prince!!"
aenelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
ricktib
DIS Veteran

The resort busses.

Rick
ricktib is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
mistyt
Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktib View Post
The resort busses.

The ride vehicles for space mountain can be a bit small if you are super sensitive to small spaces.

mistyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
ricktib
DIS Veteran

Seriously though, I wouldn't think RnR would be bad, unless you don't like feeling 'strapped in'. But I would give some consideration to the Haunted Mansion pre-show - if I were claustrophobic, I could see having an issue being in the 'stretching room' with the rest of the herd.

Rick
Old 10-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
mmwalker
Earning My Ears

I am also claustriphobic and I can't think of anything else
mmwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
symphie
Earning My Ears

Definitely Mission Space. The front panel closing in is enough to make even people without claustrophobia a little nervous.

With Rock n Roller Coaster, it's all about whether you also have a fear of feeling strapped in, or trapped. The restraints are pretty heavy and large, so you can't lean forward and see the person next to you or anything very well. I got stuck on the ride once and one of the girls in a car behind me started hyperventilating because she couldn't move.

Depending on how crowded the park is, the Haunted Mansion pre-show makes me a little nervous. If it's crowded, they pack as many people as possible into that "stretching" room. I'm sure there's a way to bypass the preshow and still ride the attraction if you explain your fear to a cast member...

Honestly, anything with a pre-show where you have the "please move all the way in and fill in all available space" situation makes me nervous. I recommend letting people ahead of you so that you're either the first at the entrance to the theater/attraction, or one of the last people into the preshow room. The only way I can do it is if I'm on the edges of the room. If you happen to get stuck in the middle, stare at your shoes. Haha. Seriously, it might not work for you. But if I just concentrate on staring at my shoes and stop looking at all of the people around me, I don't get as nervous. :P
symphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
jamstew
DIS Veteran

I've read that some people with claustrophobia have a problem with Mission Space.

jamstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
aenelson
Queen in Training

Quote:
Seriously though, I wouldn't think RnR would be bad, unless you don't like feeling 'strapped in'. But I would give some consideration to the Haunted Mansion pre-show - if I were claustrophobic, I could see having an issue being in the 'stretching room' with the rest of the herd.
This is exactly it, it is the shoulder bars. I can handle crowds just fine, but when it comes to being held down can't do it. I start hyperventilating. I feel bad for my hubby cause he has to go on Stitch by himself, and that is both of our favorite character. Anyways I guess I was asking about the feeling trapped due to head bar rides.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:08 PM   #9
ricktib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenelson View Post
This is exactly it, it is the shoulder bars. I can handle crowds just fine, but when it comes to being held down can't do it.
In that case, maybe Expedition Everest as well.

Rick
Old 10-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #10
g-dad66
DIS Veteran

Also I don't think you'll want to do Sum of All Thrills in Innoventions East at Epcot.

It's a simulator similar to Mission Space, but even more confining. I'm not claustrophobic but when the door came down on me, I felt for a moment like I was going to be crushed. And my glasses which I had put in my shirt pocket for "safe keeping" almost did get crushed.

Historical Orlando weather data here: http://www.leaveittogenie.com/weather.html
g-dad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:15 AM   #11
aenelson
Queen in Training

Quote:
In that case, maybe Expedition Everest as well.
Does EE have shoulder bars too? I thought they only had lap bars?

Old 10-06-2010, 12:38 AM   #12
clandrum
DIS Veteran

EE only has lap bars.

I do not consider myself claustrophobic but one thing I had trouble with this time was the waiting room area for the Voyage of the Little Mermaid. We were in there about 20 minutes packed like sardines and it was warm. I about lost it. I would suggest waiting till right before showtime to go in.

1st Disneyland trip June 2012 PPH
clandrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:20 AM   #13
minandmick
Mouseketeer

I am very claustrophobic and after my last trip to Disney, I ended up seeing a therapist because it reared it's ugly head so badly. Here are the rides I had most issues with, in order from worst to just kind of bad.

MISSION SPACE: no way on God's green earth would I even go near it..no way, no how!

RNR: I actually sat down in the car, pulled down the harness and started to panic. after screaming" I can't do this, let me out!" I had to use the chicken exit.

TOT: I was ok. I even made it through the preshow scary room. Until I was sitting on the ride and the elevator doors shut. Then I had to breathe my way through it, BUT I was glad that I went. It was totally worth it and I carry a small misting fan with me now so I think if we did get stuck I would be ok. Actually, I can't wait to go on it again. I will also carry a flashlight in case we get stuck, because it can get pretty dark on that ride.

SPACESHIP EARTH: At the top of the ride when you start going down backwards, you can actually see the outline of the triangles at the top of the globe. That freaked me out. I felt like the globe was closing in on me and I had to use my fan!

HAUNTED MANSION: The stretching room was hard for me.I held on to my husband the entire time and looked up at the ceiling. seeing all that room was a big help. also, I was in the back left side of the room, right where the door to the ride opens up. It helped to know that somehow.

SPACE MOUNTAIN: I was actually ok on this ride. I did feel a little cramped going up the first hill but it went so fast after that I didn't have time to get to freaked out. I have found that if my shoulders and arms are free, I'm ok.

RIDE IN NORWAY: I can't remember the name of the ride, but he room that they hold you in right before the movie made me a little nervous. I ran through the movie room and out into the gift shop!

COP: I was ok because there weren't tons of people in the room, but I can see how I could have freaked if the room was packed.

On the buses, I stay in the front or right by an emergency exit....same with the monorail. Oh, and the little misting fan was a life saver for me. When I panic, I get hot. The then just spirals downward. Having the fan helped me keep my "cool" in more ways than one.

My therapist said to take a deep breath and hold it for ten seconds. Keep repeating until you are out of the situation. Apparently it helps to slow the "fight or flight" reactions triggered by fear.

I can't think of anything else that bothered me right now. Hope that helps and please know that you are not alone!!!!

many childhood trips. DTD 8/10 PoP 1/11 POFQ 2/12 POP 10/12
minandmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:06 AM   #14
Sleeping_Beauty81
Mouseketeer

I actually had problems with the queue line for Soarin. Too many people jammed together for too long.
I almost ran out the emergency exit, it was that bad for me.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #15
jmpurdy
DIS Veteran

claustrophobic too

DH is very claustrophobic too. And I am in other ways. The pre-show room at Haunted Mansion doesn't bother him, but it really bothers me. Have to stand on the outside perimeter by the door. He can't do anything with a shoulder harness (over the shoulder) thingy. He barely does lap bars, but doesn't pull them down tightly and he's ok. I almost lost it in the monorail once. The fan idea is a good one. Cool air does help.
January 2012 - BCV
January 2011 - BWV
May 2011 - Disney Dream
July 2010 - CBR
January 2010 - SSR
May 2009 - OKW
jmpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: