Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #31
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

I've spent the day editing photopass pics. We honestly don't have a lot because Robbie made a face every time I suggested a family shot and I really don't enjoy having my picture taken (which is why I'm the photographer, lol) so I didn't suggest it often. The kids were also not really interested in stopping the fun to pose for pics so we mostly have character shots and a family shot in front of Spaceship Earth and Cinderella's Castle. The one in front of the sorcerer's hat just didn't happen (you'll read all about why on my DHS post) and we had one taken in front of the Tree of Life but when I entered our codes it wasn't there- all of our other shots from that day are there so I'm not sure what happened. At least I had the PP photographer take a pic with my camera as well so I'll have something. I may upload it to the PP site so I can add a border but maybe not. I really only need a border for the one that I'm going to display on the wall so we'll see.

Overall I'm pretty happy with what we got. I got a VERY good deal on the cd (so good I'm not sure I'm supposed to share it here on the DIS) so I'm fine with whatever we get. The character shots of the kids are great and I'm having fun playing with the borders. I'll be sure to share some of my faves when I get the cd.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #32
ilovepete
DIS Veteran

Loving it so far!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #33
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepete View Post
Loving it so far!

Thanks! Your trip is so close!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #34
ilovepete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hope- View Post

Thanks! Your trip is so close!
I know!!!! We can't wait!
Old 10-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #35
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Animal Kingdom

We had a 7:15 wake-up call but I was up at 6 AM. I laid there for a while wishing I'd told the family that I'd be taking pictures. I should have woken Robbie and told him because it was the last time I'd have the energy! Instead I dozed until the phone rang. Everyone got up and ready pretty easily and we were out the door by 8. It would have been sooner but in a tiny room with only one small bathroom it just takes longer for four people to get ready than it would at home. On our way out we left our tip for the mousekeeper with Stitch...

We stopped in the dining hall for breakfast. Kya had bacon (which she didn't like)...

Robbie, Jace and I all got biscuits and gravy...

The CM who checked us out tried to tell me that biscuits and gravy were not a snack credit. Well, I'd read it on the snack credit thread, it was under $4 AND it had the symbol on the menu that signifies a snack. The CM tried to tell me that the symbol only meant it was on the dining plan. Umm... everything on the menu is on the dining plan. Now, I know that not everyone can be as well informed as the average DISer about how things work but wouldn't you think that at the CMs who work food service would be better informed? Thankfully I understood the dining program well and I told her to just try it. She was so surprised when it worked.

We were on the bus by 8:40 and got to AK just after rope drop. We got our first photopass pic in front of the Tree of Life (which I discovered yesterday didn't make it onto the card). Thankfully I had the photographer take a pic with my camera too...

Then we headed on to the Safari. Along the way we spotted Lilo and Stitch with only one person in line! Stitch is Kya's favorite character so we hopped in line...

When we got to the Safari we waited less than 5 minutes to get on. I'd read that the animals were most active early in the morning. I'm not sure what it's like later in the day but I can tell you that we saw LOTS of animals- and lots of babies!

Jace loved the safari! We all did but Jace especially- he's such an animal lover. Those who followed my PTR may remember that I had reservations about AK. I don't generally enjoy seeing animals in captivity, even when it's well done but the safari didn't give me that feeling. The animals have so much space to move around and it just didn't have the same feel as a zoo. I was pleasantly surprised.

After the safari the kids did some pin trading; Jace was especially proud of this one...

We headed toward Asia so we could get fastpasses for Kali River Rapids. We spotted Devine along the way...

After grabbing the FP for Kali we rushed to Dinoland so we could make the Finding Nemo show, we barely made it and ended up being let in the side door just before the show began...

This show was okay. The puppets were amazing and the puppeteers extremely talented but there was nothing original about the show. It was simply a condensed version of the movie. There was one moment at the end when bubbles started coming out over the audience that was unexpected and it felt a bit magical- but it was a brief moment and the show was 40 minutes long. I'd definately skip this one if we had the day to do over.

Kya hadn't eaten her bacon at breakfast so she was pretty hungry at this point so she stopped for a Mickey Head ice cream bar (which I didn't get a pic of, sorry). Jace and I both opted for some free ice water. The rest of us weren't really hungry yet so we decided to catch the 12:00 Festival of the Lion King show and eat afterwards.

Continued...

Last edited by -Hope-; 10-09-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #36
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

We were in line for FotLK by 11:30 and near the front. It was pretty crowded and hot where we were waiting and just as we were about to go in a woman fainted, presumably from the heat. The rest of her family went into the show so we are assuming she was okay. We went in and got our seats in the giraffe section. We were up pretty close- third row! Jace and Robbie enjoyed the show but Kya and I LOVED it! The costumes, music, everything was just PERFECT!

Kya is a dancer and loves ballet- when she saw the bluebird ballerina she just swooned. She says she wants to be her when she grows up. I'm all for it- free tickets!

Jace really liked the gymnast monkeys...

We all thought the fire dancer was cool...

And the CMs really seemed to respect The Camera...

We waited in line to meet Mickey and Goofy on our way to get lunch...

Goofy's handler noticed Jace's name on his shirt and asked him if he was the Jace they'd been warned about. Jace responded that it was possible because he is pretty ornery! I loved that the CMs worked really hard to pull Jace in and he couldn't resist. It was a big part of the Disney magic. Normally he thinks he's too big for such things but at Disney he just forgot all about that and enjoyed himself.

We wanted to get out of the park kind of early since we had a 6:15 ADR so we didn't wait to meet any other characters. We went to Flametree BBQ for lunch. I'd been told that it was best to sit by the water but the condiments were under the covered pavillion so we sat there instead. I have to say there were ducks EVERYWHERE! I guess they are used to getting the food people drop so they hang out there because there were tons of them!

Kya got a kids meal of hot dog, apple slices and grapes...

She didn't really like the grapes and thought they were too soft- I tasted one and had to agree!

Jace got a standard burger which I didn't get a shot of but I got other burger shots later in the week. They're pretty much all the same anyway! Robbie and I both got bbq pork sandwiches, baked beans and chocolate mousse.

The sandwich was really good but the beans and mousse weren't that great. The mousse was drenched in chocolate syrup (like the kind you make chocolate milk with) and it just kind of ruined it for me.

After we ate we went back to Asia so Robbie and the kids could use their FP for Kali. When Robbie spotted this sign...

he was ready to leave. He didn't understand that we'd gotten FP earlier in the day so we didn't have to wait 40 minutes. Once I explained it to him he was ready to go!

I was worried about getting my camera wet and wasn't overly thrilled about this ride so I waited for them at the exit. I snapped a few pics...

and then found a shady spot to wait. I chatted with another mom who'd opted not to ride. As they exited they were all smiles and declaring how fun that was- even Robbie! Kya said it was the best ride EVER and Jace told me he was sorry I 'had' to miss it.

We headed for the LONG walk back to the buses so we could clean up and rest a bit before our dinner reservation.

Why I was thankful for the DIS today: I knew exactly how the dining plan worked, even if the CM at breakfast didn't!

Things we would have done differently: We probably could have skipped the Nemo show and then had time to meet more characters at Camp Minnie Mickey.

How I went with the flow: Our plans had include Pangani, Maharajah and Discovery Island Trails as well as the Flights of Wonder show. We didn't have time for these things and just decided to skip them. Well, we decided FoW together, I just kept walking past the trails and didn't mention it (remember I don't really like zoos. )

Up next: Relaxing at the pool and trying to make it to our ADR on time...

Last edited by -Hope-; 10-11-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #37
Princess_Au
Mouseketeer

I'm subscribing. I've enjoyed reading your TR to this point! Such a sweet family!

Can I ask what kind of camera you used? Your pictures are wonderful!
Old 10-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #38
ilovepete
DIS Veteran

Good for you with the CM and the snack credit!
Old 10-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #39
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Your 1st day sounds amazing! Although many people recommend seeing other parks before MK, it's hard to NOT start with Main Street!
Sounds like AK was better than expected.

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
Old 10-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #40
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Au View Post
I'm subscribing. I've enjoyed reading your TR to this point! Such a sweet family!

Can I ask what kind of camera you used? Your pictures are wonderful!

Thank you, my kids are pretty sweet- most of the time.

I use a Canon Rebel XT (350d) and thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepete View Post
Good for you with the CM and the snack credit!
Gotta keep 'em on their toes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
Your 1st day sounds amazing! Although many people recommend seeing other parks before MK, it's hard to NOT start with Main Street!
Sounds like AK was better than expected.

Amanda
I think the way we went in knowing it might be crowded and we might not accomplish much at MK was a great way to do it. If a trip has you visiting MK in the middle of the week then a few hours on the first day should be enough to jumpstart a vacation.

AK wasn't bad. I didn't feel uncomfortable for the animals and I really want to love this park but honestly I can see why people think they can skip it. If we had it to do over we'd do the Safari, Kali, FotLK, and take advantage of the shorter character lines then call it a day. Live and learn I guess.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #41
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hope- View Post
I think the way we went in knowing it might be crowded and we might not accomplish much at MK was a great way to do it. If a trip has you visiting MK in the middle of the week then a few hours on the first day should be enough to jumpstart a vacation.

AK wasn't bad. I didn't feel uncomfortable for the animals and I really want to love this park but honestly I can see why people think they can skip it. If we had it to do over we'd do the Safari, Kali, FotLK, and take advantage of the shorter character lines then call it a day. Live and learn I guess.
I'm not an AK fan at all. I agree that Safari, Kali, FotLK are great. I imagine I'd like Expedition Everest if I ever get to ride it! We liked Rafiki Planet Watch the one time we made it over there. The kids like that Triceratops ride (Dumbo with dinosaurs?). And despite persistently bad reviews we actually *like* Rainforest Cafe. Go figure. (Then again, we've had 2 decent dinners at San Angel Inn, too.) I'm sure that we'll skip AK when we go in January since it's a short trip to begin with.

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
Old 10-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #42
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

I forgot something again!

I know, I know- my udates are so long how could I have possibly left anything out! But I really I wanted to share another magic moment that Kya and I shared (I had some with Jace too, don't worry. I'll try to remember to include those as well.)

I mentioned earlier that we got to meet Lilo and Stitch first thing in the morning and that Kya LOVES Stitch. I only posted one pic from this encounter earlier because I wasn't pleased with the technical qualities of the shots but I the moment they captured. She was just radiant when she got to hug him...

Well, she was already in heaven and then when she was getting autographs the two characters were goofing around and took this interaction up a notch (the line was still really short, only one child waiting behind us). In the course of the goofing around Lilo playfully swatted Stitch when he wasn't paying attention. Well, when Stitch turned around Lilo pointed at Kya and blamed her! It was HILARIOUS!

Kya turned it back around and said no it wasn't her but was laughing the entire time. It was a really special moment for her.

Well, if that wasn't magical enough later in the day as we were leaving we passed the place where Lilo and Stitch greet people. Kya looked at me and giggled and wondered if Stitch would still be mad at her from earlier in the day. This is a child who has started staying in her room for long amounts of time, listening to music way to loud and just generally turning into a pre-teen girl. But now for the second time in two days she had done something that let me have a glimpse that my little girl is still in there. I had many moments like this with both of my kids all week and I know if we'd done our standard beach or mountain vacation I wouldn't have gotten these moments.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #43
mom of 3 (or 4) boys
Earning My Ears

New here...and more of a lurker than a poster, but your pics are great! Saw you have a Canon, what lens are you using for the majority of your pics?

So fun to read a report from a first time family!

Disney trips with the 3 (or 4) boys:
April 99 POR, June 2000 FW Campsites, Jan 2001 FW Campsites, Dec 2004 FW Campsites, Dec 2006 FW Campsites, June 2007 POR, October 2009 ASMv, July 2010 FW Campsites
Old 10-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #44
OhioDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Subbing! I am really loving your TR! Your pictures are awesome!

Hey BangBang Chicken...Where's Carl?http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post50814403 CURRENT TR in Progress Really? All of us? ... a Jan PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3186622
The Most Wonderful Thing About Tiggers...happened to us! A 2013 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3066866
Road Trip! Stop1: Inkedupmomma's Wedding, Stop 2: Disney - A Feb 2013 PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....0#post45966160
Small Po-taaaa-toes! My Sept 2011 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post42885313
The "I said I wasn't going to do a PTR...PTR (Sept 2011) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post39927349
Drama Please End...Fun, Please Begin..A Sept TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post38357331
Old 10-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #45
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom of 3 (or 4) boys View Post
New here...and more of a lurker than a poster, but your pics are great! Saw you have a Canon, what lens are you using for the majority of your pics?

So fun to read a report from a first time family!
Thank you! I have a 28-135 IS that I used for all my shots at Disney. I recently upgraded from a kit lens and sold it since it didn't do anything this one doesn't. Now I'm saving up and waiting to get a 50mm prime lens. No one warned me what an expensive hobby this would be.

Glad you're enjoying the report!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: