Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #316
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornelius View Post
I think Anne and Hugh absolutely deserve those awards! I'll be biting my nails that night!

Does this mean we can expect a musical performance that night?
I guess I'm in the minority. I think they did a really good job but I don't think it's anywhere near Oscar caliber. Maybe Anne's its a slow year but definitely not Hugh.
If Hugh beats out Daniel day lewis, the race is fixed. I loved Zero dark thirty better than Les Miserable and I sing Les Miz constantly.

Was les miz nominated for best picture?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #317
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
I guess I'm in the minority. I think they did a really good job but I don't think it's anywhere near Oscar caliber. Maybe Anne's its a slow year but definitely not Hugh.
If Hugh beats out Daniel day lewis, the race is fixed. I loved Zero dark thirty better than Les Miserable and I sing Les Miz constantly.

Was les miz nominated for best picture?
Yes.

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #318
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post
I *think* usually the nominated songs get sung. So that means Hugh might sing Suddenly.

It would be better if Anne & Hugh sung their song together. They both can pull it off. And Anne should have a chance to sing again and vindicate herself after getting blasted for getting the lowest ratings of all time, on that very stage as the Oscar host with that James whoever guy.
Last year, they replaced the nominated song performances with a random Cirque de Soleil performance.

I think Anne's already going to erase any memory of her hosting gig with a win, which seems to be almost a certainty as this point.

They can only perform the new song, since only songs written directly for the movie are eligible (I saw someone screeching on Twitter about why "I Dreamed a Dream" wasn't nominated - it's not eligible!!), and that was Hugh's song, so we'll likely see him.

And I think Daniel Day Lewis is a certainty for Lincoln, but I'm just so happy Hugh finally got his Oscar nomination.
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #319
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, I heard the musical numbers in Zero Dark Thirty weren't very catchy anyway.

I think Daniel Day Lewis is going to walk away with it. However, if they both showed up shirtless, Hugh would win this in a heartbeat.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #320
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Well, I haven't seen "Lincoln" yet, but yes, all the buzz indicates that the Oscar for Best Actor is all but official for Daniel Day-Lewis, and Best Supporting Actress for Anne Hathaway.

And you are right; the song category is for Best ORIGINAL Song, so ALL the other songs in Les Miz are not eligible, since they are from the muscial and not original!

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #321
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

I meant to post this earlier this week, but I got distracted by other things. We have been listening to the 10th cd in the truck since seeing the movie. So, we're listening and Michael is singing. I, of course, make the comment that I always do about the best Marius EVER, EVER, EVER! My older D says okay I agree but he's just too old and fat now to be Marius. I could have hurt her! In my eyes, Michael will always be Marius; Colm is forever Valjean, and Lea is Eponine. So, I'm old I guess.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #322
Scornelius
Suburban Princess
My last doctor didn't even make eye contact

I saw the movie again last night, this time with my best friend with whom I have seen the play at least 3 times. It was so great seeing it with someone who shares such a passion for the music. It was fantastic, even better than the first time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxePrincess View Post

Surprisingly for me, "One Day More" is what I was disappointed in the most. Not so much the singing, but the filming/staging. I really missed the stage look for this one. I prefer seeing this song as a group and not the extreme close-ups. And I must admit I really missed the "stage march".

One Day More is my favourite song from the play, and I absolutely adored the way it was done in the movie. One thing that always bothered me was Marius, essentially, choosing the barricade over Cosette, and crossing the stage to be with the students. I thought it didn't fit at all with their love story. But in the movie it shows that Cosette is already gone, which makes so much more sense. Every time it came back to Valjean in the carriage, singing his line, I got goosebumps. Just watching him watch Cosette made me cry.

Quote:
Ooh, totally disagree. I think Hugh's acting was phenomenal. Anne's too, but I think Hugh was spectacular.The emotion he could convey with the tiniest glance gave me chills at times!
Scornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #323
DisneyCP2002
I always am excited when 7 pm rolls
I felt a little off at first

I know I don't post here often but I've read every single page. I am truly proud of what this amazing musical accomplished tonight, it was well deserved!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #324
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Anne's speech was amazing. From Princess if Genovia to Fantine . . .
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #325
JenM
DIS Veteran

I was so excited for Hugh that I took a picture of the TV!

I was a little excited.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #326
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
I was so excited for Hugh that I took a picture of the TV!

I was a little excited.
Why didn't you join us on the Golden Globes thread? I was thinking of you when he won. I knew how thrilled you'd be for him.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #327
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Why didn't you join us on the Golden Globes thread? I was thinking of you when he won. I knew how thrilled you'd be for him.
I was actually in the city tonight, seeing Annie on Broadway with my mom and sister. Just got home towards the end of the show, which I was DVR'ing. But saw the Hugh and Les Miz wins when they happened.

So happy for Hugh!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #328
Imzadi
Point Free Zone
Like Pakey's

Quote:
I was actually in the city tonight, seeing Annie on Broadway with my mom and sister. Just got home towards the end of the show, which I was DVR'ing. But saw the Hugh and Les Miz wins when they happened.

So happy for Hugh!
You know Anne won, too? She gave a classy speech honoring Sally Field.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
Thanks!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #329
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You know Anne won, too? She gave a classy speech honoring Sally Field.
Yup, read it on Twitter on the way home.

Actually, saw one of my favorite Les Mis alumni in Annie tonight: Anthony Warlow, who played Enjolras on the complete symphonic recording (I think he's played Valjean in Australia as well), plays Daddy Warbucks. It was so cool to finally see him on Broadway!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #330
Imzadi
Point Free Zone
Like Pakey's

Quote:
Yup, read it on Twitter on the way home.

Actually, saw one of my favorite Les Mis alumni in Annie tonight: Anthony Warlow, who played Enjolras on the complete symphonic recording (I think he's played Valjean in Australia as well), plays Daddy Warbucks. It was so cool to finally see him on Broadway!
Wow, cool! It's such a small theatre world. It also must have been exciting for Warlow to be able to go all the way to Australia to do Valjean. What a way to go to that country.
Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: