Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #256
Dancind
Tinkerbell's Mom
just full of pass questions
Onward and Downward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornelius View Post
I've been sick as a dog since Christmas and it's KILLING me that I haven't seen it yet.

How intense is the scene where Fantine sells her teeth? I've been kind of anxious about that one.
Fairly intense, but they cut away before she actually has her teeth pulled. She is shown being surrounded and held down.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #257
LOVETHATMOUSE
DIS Veteran
*~*Some LOVE from the Tag Fairy!*~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcit View Post
Hilarious!! And that is filmed in the town next to me!
Me too!!! They must have gone to the Fantasy theater -that's where we saw it too.
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #258
TiggerTails57
FIL is still waiting for his My Little Pony cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
This one pretty much covers the bases too.

LOL best review I've heard
TiggerTails57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #259
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

sums it up nicely. My grade C.

Quote:

So I had the very problem I knew I was going to have. I kept comparing it to the Broadway production and that caliber of singing. I seem to like the female roles better than the quality coming from the male roles.

1) Russel Crowe C- Sorry but the man cannot sing. there was absolutely no emotion in his role and Javert is supposed to be a man possessed.

2) Anne hathaway A. Not so much for her singing but she acted the heck out of the role. She definitely conveys her fear, disgust, disillusionment and sadness. Well done

3) Scenery. A. 1800's Paris in all it's shining glory. gritty, dirty, smelly
one scene though had me laughing. when Fantaine was working in the factory and it's the end of the day, every one is taking off their blue uniforms and are pretty much dressed in drab greys, whites and blues. How the heck did she get a pink dress?

4) the Thenardiers. B. I actually like this portrayal, a bit comedic with enough ruthlessness mixed in to make them believable.

5) Eponine. A. enjoyed her acting.

Overall it was an enjoyable movie. I won't nominate it for an oscar but it was worth the 9 bucks. I won't be buying it on dvd since I have the PBS 10th anniversary dvd (Dream cast, no one will measure up to Colm Wilkinson and Philip Quast for me) and the original broadway version.
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #260
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Eponine stole the show for me. I felt for her so badly more so than in the play.

I was actually surprised that Russell Crowe could sing. Not great but way better than I expected. So conflicted. I thought he did great.

Anne H was fantastic too. Her emotions were so very raw. Great acting on her part.

Overall I liked it. Didn't love it as I thought I would. But good.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #261
klacey1
DIS Veteran

I'm going against the grain...I really didn't like it at all. I've seen it a few times on Broadway and was on the edge of my seat the entire time. The movie DRAGGED for me. I felt like I was in that theater for days.

I HATED the cinematography-- from the extreme close ups to the super quick sweeping shots. I also did not like how they seemed to minimize the instrumentals-- anyone else feel that way? The orchestra was barely audible in comparison to the singing. Did think the sets, when they were visible, were great. The visual of the funeral of Lamarque was beautiful.

Anne Hathaway-- did not like. I thought she waaaay overdid it. The gulping and the sobbing during I Dreamed a Dream ruined it for me, completely. I know people say she took it in a "different" direction-- in my opinion, it was BAD different. (Personal fan of Randy Graff's and Lea Salonga's versions-- the latter of which I got to see in person! Phenomenal!)

Russell Crowe was painful-- singing & acting. Normally I love him as an actor, so I'm not sure what happened.

Thought Hugh Jackson sang/acted beautifully, as did Samantha Barks. Amanda Seyfried was fine-- impressed with her ability to hit some of those high notes! I HATED Marius-- just not a fan of his voice, and thought his acting was unremarkable. I did LOVE, LOVE the actor who played Enjolras. He stole it for me. No surprise when I looked him up when I got home and discovered he's a Broadway actor.

Thought HBC (who I LOVE) and Sasha Baron Cohen did okay as the Thenardiers. Just okay.

So disappointed-- I was very much looking forward to it!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #262
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Forgot the funniest part. I went with my dd15. About 10 minutes in she turns to me and asks " is this a musical?"
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #263
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

My 16-yr-old grand daughter took her boy friend to see it (after she saw it with us.) He said he liked it except for all the singing.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #264
Mickeynutty
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
I'm going against the grain...I really didn't like it at all. I've seen it a few times on Broadway and was on the edge of my seat the entire time. The movie DRAGGED for me. I felt like I was in that theater for days.

I HATED the cinematography-- from the extreme close ups to the super quick sweeping shots. I also did not like how they seemed to minimize the instrumentals-- anyone else feel that way? The orchestra was barely audible in comparison to the singing. Did think the sets, when they were visible, were great. The visual of the funeral of Lamarque was beautiful.

Anne Hathaway-- did not like. I thought she waaaay overdid it. The gulping and the sobbing during I Dreamed a Dream ruined it for me, completely. I know people say she took it in a "different" direction-- in my opinion, it was BAD different. (Personal fan of Randy Graff's and Lea Salonga's versions-- the latter of which I got to see in person! Phenomenal!)

Russell Crowe was painful-- singing & acting. Normally I love him as an actor, so I'm not sure what happened.

Thought Hugh Jackson sang/acted beautifully, as did Samantha Barks. Amanda Seyfried was fine-- impressed with her ability to hit some of those high notes! I HATED Marius-- just not a fan of his voice, and thought his acting was unremarkable. I did LOVE, LOVE the actor who played Enjolras. He stole it for me. No surprise when I looked him up when I got home and discovered he's a Broadway actor.

Thought HBC (who I LOVE) and Sasha Baron Cohen did okay as the Thenardiers. Just okay.

So disappointed-- I was very much looking forward to it!
Wow! You summed up how I felt...the movie drags. I have seen the play many times and so preferred it. The jumpy camera was so bad. The only one I thought was great was HJ. The others, I have seen MUCH better stage performances. Just mho.
Mickeynutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #265
jackemail
DIS Veteran

Loved it, and loved that the theater was sold out for a musical. I did like the Broadway version better, but still enjoyed the movie immensely.

Did think it was overlong, and that Russell Crowe stank.

Loved Anne Hathaway (did think the same thing about her in the pink dress), and Eponine was outstanding.

Lots of crying and sniffing in the theater many, many times.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #266
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

I'm so conflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
So I had the very problem I knew I was going to have. I kept comparing it to the Broadway production and that caliber of singing. I seem to like the female roles better than the quality coming from the male roles.

1) Russel Crowe C- Sorry but the man cannot sing. there was absolutely no emotion in his role and Javert is supposed to be a man possessed.

2) Anne hathaway A. Not so much for her singing but she acted the heck out of the role. She definitely conveys her fear, disgust, disillusionment and sadness. Well done

one scene though had me laughing. when Fantaine was working in the factory and it's the end of the day, every one is taking off their blue uniforms and are pretty much dressed in drab greys, whites and blues. How the heck did she get a pink dress?

4) the Thenardiers. B. I actually like this portrayal, a bit comedic with enough ruthlessness mixed in to make them believable.

Overall it was an enjoyable movie. I won't nominate it for an oscar but it was worth the 9 bucks. I won't be buying it on dvd since I have the PBS 10th anniversary dvd (Dream cast, no one will measure up to Colm Wilkinson and Philip Quast for me) and the original broadway version.
I love the play and know I will focus on the "non-Broadway" caliber singing. I can't decide if I want to see it or not. The storyline is amazing, but the delivery of such talented people on stage really brings it home. I keep hearing how amazing Eponine is and that she has played on Broadway. Does anyone know why they didn't stick to all stage performers? This would have really sealed the deal for me..
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #267
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
I love the play and know I will focus on the "non-Broadway" caliber singing. I can't decide if I want to see it or not. The storyline is amazing, but the delivery of such talented people on stage really brings it home. I keep hearing how amazing Eponine is and that she has played on Broadway. Does anyone know why they didn't stick to all stage performers? This would have really sealed the deal for me..
I think it may have been to expand the audience a bit. some folks are "non" musicals types and some folks live in areas where they don't have an opportunity to get a lot of plays. Having brand name stars will bring in a wide audience.

That's just a guess.

For me it was too glaring. Javert on broadway is a power house and Russel just left me flat and uninspired.
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #268
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Samantha Barks did play Eponine on stage - but in the London production, not on Broadway. Daniel Huttlestone, who played Gavroche, also played the role in the London production. Isabelle Allen, who played Little Cosette, is now playing the role twice a week in the London production.

Quite a few of the barricade boys are also from the current London production, and besides Colm Wilkinson, there were other alumni from the show: Frances Ruffelle (the original Eponine on London and Broadway) was one of the Lovely Ladies - she was the one in yellow who sings the "make money in your sleep" line. Stephen Tate, who played Fauchelevent (the man pinned by the cart), is a former West End Thernardier. There were other alumni from the show in the movie as well. I saw Linzi Hately's name in the credits, she was a former Eponine (she also plays Mrs. Banks on the cast recording of Mary Poppins).

Aaron Tveit, who played Enjolras, starred on Broadway in Next To Normal, Catch Me if You Can, and Wicked (I think he did Hairspray as well?). Bertie Carvel, who played Bamatabois (the jerk who harrasses Fantine) just won an Olivier award for his performance as Miss Trunchbull in Matilda in London, and will be playing the role again on Broadway this spring.

Eddie Redmayne has a Tony Award - Best Featured Actor in Play for Red, which he did in London and NY, and he's been doing theater for a long time. Plus Hugh has his Tony for The Boy From Oz, and did Beauty & the Beast and Sunset Blvd in Australia, and Oklahoma! in the West End (all before X-Men). He also starred in a concert version of Carousel at Carnegie Hall.

So there are actually a lot of theater people in the movie - many from Les Mis! It's a good way to look at it.

They rarely cast entirely from the stage version because it's hard way to sell the movie - theater fans know who they are, but they only make up part of the wider audience they try to sell the movie to. And studios want these movies to make lots of money.

Rent used almost the entire original cast - that movie bombed. The Producers, which was a massive hit on Broadway, did a movie version that was almost an exact replica of the stage version - it bombed in theaters.

Hairspray had names in their cast - that movie was a hit. Mamma Mia made over $600 million worldwide, even with Pierce Brosnan.

It can be hit or miss (look at how badly Rock of Ages did last summer with that cast).

But Les Mis so far has made over $100 million worldwide, and still has countries to open in yet. So it looks like the casting worked - even with Russell Crowe (who I actually liked).
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #269
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackemail View Post
Loved it, and loved that the theater was sold out for a musical. I did like the Broadway version better, but still enjoyed the movie immensely.

Did think it was overlong, and that Russell Crowe stank.

Loved Anne Hathaway (did think the same thing about her in the pink dress), and Eponine was outstanding.

Lots of crying and sniffing in the theater many, many times.
With Anne and the pink dress, I think it was their way of portraying her innocence. In the book, you are introduced to a much different Fantine - a younger Fantine who is carefree, so naive & innocent, hanging out with her friends, falling in love, etc. That was entirely missing from the movie (and probably the Broadway show). Maybe this was their only way of conveying that to the audience?

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You

Currently reading: #40 Dragonfly in Amber

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #270
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

I love reading everybody's reactions. I've burned through 3 of these guys --> reading through everyone's posts.

It's been a long month waiting for to read what everyone else thinks of the movie.

Quote:

Brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post

I think I agree with Eliza's post the most. Although I did think the chorus was definitely Broadway caliber.

Quote:
It's part of the politics & finances of getting a movie produced in Hollywood. They NEED star names to "carry" the movie. That is actual term in Hollywood. The name, clout & reputation of a star(s) carries the audience to the movie theatre. They need to for a movie to be competitive at the box office, especially at the cineplexes where people can choose right in line to switch movies, without having to drive anywhere else and decide to go to a different film at the last minute instead.

Like, Tom Cruise, as wacky as he is in real life, had one of the best reputations for picking blockbuster movies and packing audiences into movie theatres. people would rather see a film with a star that they know and whose work they know, than a cast no one knows. That might turn out to be a waste of $10 a ticket.

Bradley Cooper is probably moving up into the position right now, of gaining real box office clout & power.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: