Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #211
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

If you are an AMC Stubs member, they are doing exclusive showings tomorrow night at select theaters. There's on about 40 minutes from me but unfortunately, I was throwing up all night last night and I just can't commit to getting those tickets and risk not feeling well. Plus I already have my tickets for Christmas morning!

http://www.amctheatres.com/events/am...ening-december
NikkiLovesWDW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #212
wickey's friend
I can get older but who says I have to grow up . . .
Tittered at the Twitter comments
Co-workers think I'm nuts anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
Speaking of Colm Wilkinson...here's a clip from the candlesticks scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsHRUVwKwg

And here's behind-the-scenes footage of the scene, with both Hugh and Colm each doing a version of the Forbidden Broadway spoof of "Bring Him Home" (called "Bring it Down").

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONKcq...&feature=share

7 more days!
O.M.G. I started to tear up just watching the candlestick scene. Love Colm -- he's so gracious and amazing.

"Bring It Down" -- LOL!!! And yet, Colm still sings the high notes!

Quote:
One Day More is now online as well:

http://broadwayworld.com/videoplay.php?colid=439556

And "One Day More" -- It all makes me want to go right now!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #213
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLovesWDW! View Post
If you are an AMC Stubs member, they are doing exclusive showings tomorrow night at select theaters. There's on about 40 minutes from me but unfortunately, I was throwing up all night last night and I just can't commit to getting those tickets and risk not feeling well. Plus I already have my tickets for Christmas morning!

http://www.amctheatres.com/events/am...ening-december
Of course! The theater right near my office in NY...

...on my day off, when I'll be back in NJ.

Oh well, I still have my tickets for the 26th!
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #214
JenM
DIS Veteran

Featurette on Hugh:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=98202
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #215
NikkiLovesWDW!

Saw Les Mis this morning! Overall, DH and I both LOVED it. I have a lot to say so if you didn't see yet and don't want to be spoiled, skip this post!

The beginning is always slow to me. I always think this musical reeeeally starts after the ".....another story must begiiiiiiin" so I loved how they panned out but I was fully expecting at that moment for "Les Miserables" to pop up on the screen when the music changes.....but it didn't. DH actually thought it was going to too. Would've been a nice touch.

Anne Hathaway is soooo amazing singing I Dreamed a Dream, she brought me to tears. Can't believe that was one continuous shot with no breaks.

Master of the House was a HUGE disappointment. Didn't really like Sasha Cohen's performance at all. Helena was okay but I feel like she's always playing the same character. (Except in King's Speech - loved her in that.)

Javert's proclamation at the end of the confrontation was soooooo unmoving. I mean, he's proclaiming that he basically will not rest until he hunts Valjean down seeks justice and it sounded like he was singing a freaking lullaby. Overall, Russel Crow was not strong AT ALL and I feel like his character needs to be very powerful and it should show through his singing. He was just boring.

I loved loved loved the guy who played Marius and all the students. Their scenes were fantastic. I felt like they were really into and moving.

One More Day - hmmmm. I just think that it's a number that doesn't work on screen as well as it works on stage. The fact that they are all on the same stage singing together is what makes it so great so the fact that they kept cutting from person to person kind of took away from it a bit.

I felt like the scene changes overall were kind of choppy. Like, if I didn't know the story so well, I may have been a little lost, like "Okay, where are we now and how did we get here?"

They made some changes to Eponine's death and Gavroche's death were changed and I actually think they both worked better on screen.

Javert's death scene was ....I mean, when he hit that "wall" or whatever it was in the water, and the sound effect.....out loud, I went "ooof!" and we laughed. It was laughable.

Loved young Cossette and Amanda as older Cossette - really I thought all the actors were amazing except Russel Crow and the Thenardiers.

I fully expect Anne and Hugh to win awards for this one.

OH! One last thing. What was the deal with the extreme close-ups for like 80% of the movie! Every time anyone sang, it was extreme close-up. It definitely worked for I Dreamed a Dream but I feel like I know the ins and outs of every one's teeth. And some of the time, the extreme close-ups went in and out of focus and it was distracting. There were some songs that I would've liked to see more of the scene around the person singing and not just a close up of their face the entire time.

So that seems like a LOT that I'm complaining about but only because it was different than expected. Like I said, we both loved it overall and can't wait to see it again very soon!
Old 12-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #216
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Sasha Cohen said on the Today Show that he didn't like the "take" they used of him singing "Master of the House." He said his voice was at its weakest.

Overall, the voices weren't as powerful as those we've seen in several theatre productions. We've come to expect Javert to bring down the house with his powerful voice. Eponine in the movie had sung the role on Broadway, no problem there! Young Cosette and Gavrosh were great. And since the priest was the original Jean Val Jean, of course he did well.

Ann Hatheway's acting far exceeded expectations, which made up for her voice. Not to say she sounded bad, it's just that we're spoiled by the Broadway-quality voices. She put so much into the role I do hope she wins some awards.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #217
Claudia1

Torments DISers with choc. chip cookie escapades
Step AWAY from the cake, ma'am!

Quote:
Javert's proclamation at the end of the confrontation was soooooo unmoving. I mean, he's proclaiming that he basically will not rest until he hunts Valjean down seeks justice and it sounded like he was singing a freaking lullaby. Overall, Russel Crow was not strong AT ALL and I feel like his character needs to be very powerful and it should show through his singing. He was just boring.
ITA! He had the glares and physical demeanor but his voice was a complete opposite.

I really liked the "tweeks" in the story line. Eponine and Cosette as children, then again as adults was plausible and gave depth to Eponine's pain from unrequited love.

ITA about the close-ups, too. "I Dreamed a Dream", though, showed the bloodied rag fro selling her teeth and really enhanced the story-telling.

Loved it!
Claudia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #218
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

I'm just commenting because I saw this movie today, have never seen it in any other form, had no idea what it was even about... (gasp! lol)

Anyway, I can appreciate the comments here but it really did not come across the same way for someone like me.

Maybe someone would have been better for the role besides Russell Crowe but I thought he was great and haunting even. I thought him jumping to his death was the opposite of what was described above.

I really liked the closeups. For some reason, that added a lot to my experience of this movie. As a hairdresser, I was quite taken with the hair and makeup throughout.

And, of course, watching Anne Hathaway have her hair cut off and knowing it was for real--I just cried watching that scene. Hearing her sing "I Dreamed A Dream" is something I will not soon get over. Not sure why I was so moved by her character but I definitely was. Her singing voice was so secondary to the emotion/words and the whole scene that I would have a hard time telling someone how her singing was...it was so raw and real for me.

One More Day's close-ups were actually helpful to me, having never seen the play or anything--I actually got a lot out of those.

I'm not picking on the PP's opinion. I thought her view was interesting. I'm just giving my thoughts since I am an extreme case who went not knowing anything about this movie. My DH even liked it (he did not even fall asleep! A Christmas miracle, probably. ) and followed along--I thought all the singing would loose him and he has a bit of a hearing issue (too many emergency sirens!) but he did fine and even clapped at the end.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #219
NikkiLovesWDW!

Love hearing the different opinions and perspectives!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #220
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sweet! Love Hugh!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #221
momtojandj
Mouseketeer

I have seen the broadway version a few times, have the dvds of the concerts as well, so I went into the movie thinking it can't be good..but I was really surprised..I really liked it..yes I think a different Javert would have been better, but I didnt hate his version. Loved that Colm was in the movie, and it showed more "story" that is hard to see on a stage. Would go see again at the theatre!
momtojandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #222
rigs32
DIS Veteran

It took me awhile to recognize Hugh Jackman in the opening sequence. My biggest disappointment with his performance was Bring Him Home. So much more powerful from a lower voice.

I agree that Javert did not have the vocal chops.
rigs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #223
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

My thoughts.

I have seen the show many times. I read the book. Never saw a nonmusical adaptation of the book.

Hugh Jackman was wonderful as Valjean. I still hear Colm Wilkerson's voice in my head when I think of "Bring Him Home" but Jackman's performance was very moving. Did not like the new song, "Suddenly", which he sings in the carriage after rescuing Cosette. Didn't dislike it, just thought it was "meh".

Colm as the Bishop was a clever idea, and he turned in a good performance.

Loved Anne Hathaway. Loved how they moved "I Dreamed a Dream" to after "Lovely Ladies", had more impact and really made me cry.

Loved the scene in the convent, that was from the book but not done on stage. Valjean saved that man, and the man returned the favor.

Russell Crowe -- physically he really captures Javert, but I think we was not singing in his usual range, his voice sounded weak, like he was reaching.

I did like "Master of the House". On stage the humor has to be very broad for the audience to "get" it. Here, the comedy was a bit more subtle. I really love Helena Bonham Carter.

Considering the grandeur of the sets, it was a little tiring to see so many close ups while the actors were singing.

An issue I had about Gavrouche. In the original stage production he introduces himself by singing a song called "Little People", which he reprises when he's dying. Later in the Broadway run -- or maybe it was during the revival -- they cut that song, but allowed him to sing the reprise. Didn't quite make sense to me. They do it in the movie, too. You don't really "get" what he's singing as he's dying because you never heard the original song.

"One Day More" works better on stage.

I cried three or four times during the movie, especially at the finale. To love another person is to see the face of God....
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #224
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigs32 View Post
It took me awhile to recognize Hugh Jackman in the opening sequence. My biggest disappointment with his performance was Bring Him Home. So much more powerful from a lower voice.

I agree that Javert did not have the vocal chops.
Lower? No, a higher voice...hence the parody, "Bring it down..."
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #225
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Just back from seeing the film...

I have seen the stage show on Broadway several times...both the original staging and the new, 25th Anniversary version and know it by heart.

I really liked the movie. I did find there were a few too many close-ups but otherwise thought the staging was fine. I also thought it odd that they changed some lines in some of the songs...most for no apparent reason.

Some points...

Master of the House was the only "botched" section for me. I thought it was too claustrophobic and much of the humor was lost. Not one person in our audience laughed.

Amanda Seyfried's upper register was grating.

I did not like Hugh Jackman's styling, (his haircut kept making me think of Michael Landon) but thought he gave a very good performance. Bring Him Home was the only low point of that performance for me.

I loved Eddie Redmayne as Marius. Both his singing and his acting were stellar.

I loved that Enjolras fell from the window and ended up as he does on stage, complete with the flag.

I really enjoyed the moment when Javert gave Gavroche his pin.

I had no problem with Russell Crowe's performance. True, his singing was not Broadway quality, but I felt the same way about the rest of the main performances, except for Hathaway, Redmayne and the girl who played young Cossette.

Anne Hathaway's performance was heartbreaking and haunting.

Loved seeing Colm Wilkinson as the Bishop.

Sarah Barks' waist is way too small...but her performance was very good.

I'll definitely be going to see it at least once more...and will buy it when it is released on bluray.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: