Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
rebelstand
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OKC
Posts: 146

Couple of Things

Hi All,
as you can see I am new here. After completing our first family trip to WDW this June, we have decided that we didn't get enough (is there a WDW addiction?). We are thinking about going back for another one this spring. Last time we flew in, stayed at the ALL-Star Music resort, and flew out. This year we'd like to tow our 27ft Travel Trailer. I have looked at vacation packages at the official site but we used an agent last time. Our travel agent had never heard of Fort Wilderness. I have sent out emails to three different agents.. however, one has already responded that they don't do these. Do you have to book it from Disney?

Are there things I need to know about staying there?
We will be bringing our dogs...what do I need to know about this?

I'd just really appreciate any knowledge you have to share. As I said, we've only been to Disney World once.... so very inexperienced.
Thanks,
Nicki
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
kaguilbeau
DIS Veteran
 
kaguilbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 554

Welcome!

Others will be along to post very useful information.

1)For bringing our dogs, we love the 300 loop (close to marina and dog park).

2)You don't have to use an agent to book the campsite, however we did successfully use Dreams Unlimited with great results. They are a sponsor of this board.

3)I know it seems like a 'pass off', but if you use the search feature or just read many of the questions and answers on this forum, you can learn so much! I have been known to read page after page of this forum. And when I sit down to research again, I pick up on the page I left off on!

You'll gather lots of information. Instead of writing down all the helpful hints, I like to have a Word document page minimized on my screen. I highlight the hint or tip I found and copied/paste to the Word document. Later on, I 'cleaned up' my word document and placed the hints in appropriate sections. Kind of OCD - but the fun for me is the planning!!

And YES, their is an addiction!!
__________________
Kim

kaguilbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
rebelstand
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OKC
Posts: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaguilbeau View Post
Welcome!

Others will be along to post very useful information.

1)For bringing our dogs, we love the 300 loop (close to marina and dog park).

2)You don't have to use an agent to book the campsite, however we did successfully use Dreams Unlimited with great results. They are a sponsor of this board.

3)I know it seems like a 'pass off', but if you use the search feature or just read many of the questions and answers on this forum, you can learn so much! I have been known to read page after page of this forum. And when I sit down to research again, I pick up on the page I left off on!

You'll gather lots of information. Instead of writing down all the helpful hints, I like to have a Word document page minimized on my screen. I highlight the hint or tip I found and copied/paste to the Word document. Later on, I 'cleaned up' my word document and placed the hints in appropriate sections. Kind of OCD - but the fun for me is the planning!!

And YES, their is an addiction!!
The booking:
I am simply trying to get quotes to compare to the Disney Online booking. I sent an email to DU, AAA, and SWV (they don't book the campsites). See if they offer any really good discounts/bonuses.

Loop:
So I should try for loop 300. We have a Great Dane - they don't have size restrictions do they?

Using search:
I plan on doing an in depth search of the site over the next few weeks. However, being a member of other forums I know that the old threads sometimes take long periods of time to get through. Just hoping for some input until I can totally immerse myself into the research.

The Addiction:
The funny thing about this trip is that I was just "looking to see" how much it would cost. My husband jumped at it. We all enjoyed it and you couldn't have asked for a better trip but I thought he'd be the once is enough type. Apparently, he enjoyed it more than I thought. This time we will get to see Epcot better (we only had a few hours there our first trip).

Thanks
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
DaveInTN
I'm Not The Castle Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North of Bob, West of Frank
Posts: 2,947

Send an email to rhonda@dreamsunlimitedtravel.com

She camps at the Fort, books campsites and was a moderator of this board. She can price out and/or book anything you want her to.
DaveInTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
rebelstand
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OKC
Posts: 146

Thanks DaveInTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInTN View Post
Send an email to rhonda

She camps at the Fort, books campsites and was a moderator of this board. She can price out and/or book anything you want her to.
I had sent an generic email to DU and I got Rhonda. We are already talking...it's nice to know she actually camps there. Reassuring...
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
kaguilbeau
DIS Veteran
 
kaguilbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 554

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2566963
Loop 300: In the above thread, between posts 60 - 65, BradyBiz answered some questions for me regarding certain sites in loop 300. The sites we were speaking of, back up to the canal and have a large, grassy area for the dogs to be walked. It was very peaceful. It is also close enough to walk, or ride your bikes, to the marina where you are only a boat ride away from MK.

As far as discounts, I've heard the AAA discounts are about the best, unless you happen to have a PIN code from a Disney Visa card. The rate I got from Rhonda at DU was as good as, if not better, than the Disney offical reservation. I think I had a PIN code. And DU made it all so easy!

I know searches are a pain. But sometimes I just browse whatever threads come up (even if they are over a year old!) and I'm sure to gather some information.
__________________
Kim


Last edited by kaguilbeau; 10-03-2010 at 07:10 PM.
kaguilbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
rebelstand
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OKC
Posts: 146

can't open the thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaguilbeau View Post
Loop 300: In the above thread, between posts 60 - 65, BradyBiz answered some questions for me regarding certain sites in loop 300. The sites we were speaking of, back up to the canal and have a large, grassy area for the dogs to be walked. It was very peaceful. It is also close enough to walk, or ride your bikes, to the marina where you are only a boat ride away from MK.

As far as discounts, I've heard the AAA discounts are about the best, unless you happen to have a PIN code from a Disney Visa card. The rate I got from Rhonda at DU was as good as, if not better, than the Disney offical reservation. I think I had a PIN code. And DU made it all so easy!

I know searches are a pain. But sometimes I just browse whatever threads come up (even if they are over a year old!) and I'm sure to gather some information.
Thanks. I can't get the link to open. What is this PIN code? I don't have a Disney Visa card but have received several applications for it.

I have started reading the threads.. however, I haven't gotten past the first page or so... but I've got time!!
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
BradyBz12
1340.63 miles too far from the Fort
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 6,294

This THIS LINK instead.
BradyBz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
rebelstand
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OKC
Posts: 146

I had to come back to remind me why I was looking at the thread. I got lost looking at all the great pictures. I book marked it for future reference.

You know the problem with all this research... it makes you want to leave tomorrow....and we aren't planning to go until March
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
kaguilbeau
DIS Veteran
 
kaguilbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 554

I have a Disney Visa card that I used to try and earn points to redem for Disney. Periodically, they will send out an e-mail or a flyer in the mail, with a special code that can be used for Disney reservations. Ony that person can use the PIN code. (You can't share your PIN code with family/friends, etc).

I have been able to earn a lot of points, but you must be sure to pay off your purchases in full each month - - or you know what'll happen Some will charge items and then subtract it from their check register and send in a payment each month that totals each subtraction. They actually have threads devoted to just the Disney Visa on the Budget Board. Charges such as cell phone bill, insurances (car, home, etc), groceries, etc add up quickly. But if it isn't managed properly, so can the bill on the credit card! I had accumulated for almost 5 years and had over 1,000 in rewards for my trip.
__________________
Kim

kaguilbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
kaguilbeau
DIS Veteran
 
kaguilbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyBz12 View Post
This THIS LINK instead.
Thanks! I never could figure out how to "name" a link.
__________________
Kim

kaguilbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #12
rebelstand
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OKC
Posts: 146

I think I'll wait to see after the second then consider it.
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #13
BradyBz12
1340.63 miles too far from the Fort
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 6,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaguilbeau View Post
Thanks! I never could figure out how to "name" a link.
You almost had it, but there was an extra http in there
BradyBz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #14
m1tchells
Mouseketeer
 
m1tchells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Santa Rosa Bch, FL
Posts: 189

To all of us here....there is something VERY special about the Fort. But other than that...it is a regular Disney resort. DU and AAA both definitely book the campsites. Not sure what SWV is???

The discounts that I am aware of are Florida Resident, Annual Passholder, Disney Visa, and AAA....but they are all hard to come by.

Anywho...welcome to the boards. And yes...Disney is addicting, the Fort is addicting...and the camping boards are ADDICTING!!! Happy Camping
__________________
Jaime




Fort Wilderness Jan 2009, Jan 2008, Oct/Nov 2007,
June 2007, Oct/Nov 2006, May/June 2006, Sept/Oct 2005
Polynesian Oct 1976
Offsite April 1990, Dec 1995 June 2000
m1tchells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #15
BradyBz12
1340.63 miles too far from the Fort
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 6,294

We've booked FW reservations through AAA before, but to be honest, I knew more about the Fort than the "Disney Expert" agent.
BradyBz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fort wilderness, planning, rvs



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.