Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #16
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
It is FALL! The weather has finally cooperated! Fall is this east-coast DISer favorite time of year, well, I guess any time is my favorite time of year if it happens in Disney World, but this time, the season has changed and the location has changed! Welcome to a Happy Dog DISNEYLAND PTR!

As I said, with the onset of cooler temps it is time in our house to drag out the fall decorations and more importantly, time to pull out the movies inspired by the season… SO that includes a few Peanuts classics, like The Great Pumpkin and the Thanksgiving special -- BUT the most important DVD in our house for the next month IS:

The Nightmare before Christmas …

Can I tell you how much we love this movie??!! We watched it for the first time this year tonight! And so, perhaps it was the crisp fall air today and all the gourds and mums I bought, but all I know is that I am ready to plan my fall trip to DISNEYLAND!

I'm excited to be able to read a good report on Disneyland. Jill may possibly get to go out there at some point when John travels for business. That would be very cool.

I have seen tiny bits and pieces of Nightmare Before Christmas. Maybe I should take the time to watch it in full. I have a teacher friend who is nuts about it, so I could borrow her movie. Whenever I go to Disney World in October, she always wants me to be on the lookout for new Jack Skellington things.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
MeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #17
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

I'm in! This will be the first PTR for Disneyland I have read!!! Excited to hear all about it!

Nice to see so many teachers on here too. I am in my first year of teaching and my class are a serious handful. Does it ever get any easier????
ScotsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #18
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Who What and Where!

So before I begin the back story on this trip, let me quickly introduce myself and my family – I will keep this quick! WHO is Happy Dog??!! Just one more Self-Proclaimed Disney Lover -- like there aren't any of THOSE people on the DISboard... If you get a chance and want to hear more about my family and how I made it onto the DISboards, and how I have gotten completely sucked into Disney and the World, well all you have to do is pick any of my PTRs or TRs! There is plenty to share there! But for this trip, let the intros begin!

First, My DH and ME – Here is a photo of us on our summer trip to WDW…

Is it a BAD thing that I cropped my uncooperative kids out of the photo??!!

Speaking of kids… Here they are…

Our DS5 and DS8 are two little boys who really enjoy Disneyworld, especially all of the rides that include fast dips and turns! Sadly, this does NOT include the tea cups anymore BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... BUT they are big fans of Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan ... GO Figure??!! But thank goodness! At least they still have Fantasyland in them for a few more years… I have to say I am so glad that they never seem to tire of our trips to Disney World, and last year we went on several!

Here are the three boys this past June, at Chef’s de France with Remy…

And all of us on Christmas Morning in the Magic Kingdom… One Holiday I will never forget ... I can't wait to do this again some year soon ...

As a family, we have been lucky to go to WDW during the summer and during different holiday seasons, and I have to say there is nothing more magical than Disney for a family vacation at any time of year. We have had amazing memories each and every time. There really is something for everyone. I have learned a lot about touring the World, and I am curious to see how I manage Disneyland.

Going to Disneyland this Halloween was not in our plans originally. This fall, we wanted to visit our friends in San Diego, and we were able to get a great exchange at the Four Seasons resort in San Diego – the property is never available and when it was, for a great week, we jumped. I made it clear to my husband that I could not possibly go to California WITHOUT going to Disneyland, and so he compromised, giving us two days in the park. I sweetened the deal with our GAD vouchers and that helped!

So the plan is as follows:

We fly from the east coast, Dulles Airport, on the afternoon of the 29th, arrive in LAX, drive to Disney, and check in to the Grand Californian for two nights. We will not go to the parks that first night, instead probably grabbing something to eat there in DTD, and then head to bed! We plan to exchange our GAD vouchers for two day park hoppers.

Here is the basic outline for the time we will be there. I have lots of ideas on how to fill the time, where to eat lunch, etc! The important stuff!!! But here is what I know is in place…

Friday October 29th

Fly in to LAX
Check into the Grand Californian Villas
Dinner = TBA
BED!

Saturday October 30th

Rope drop for California Adventure!
Disneyland (?)
World of Color Dining Package @ the Wine Country Trattoria - second show

Sunday October 31st HALLOWEEN!!!

Check out of the GCV
(probably in the AM since we will still be on East coast time!)
Rope drop for Disneyland!
Dinner at the Blue Bayou @ 6pm
Park closes early for the Halloween party 7pm
Back to California Adventure/DTD for treats (?)
Head down to the Four Seasons in San Diego! LATE!

We really debated attending the Halloween party. It was one of those things where we had to decide would we really get the use out of the expense… Since we were going to drive down to check into the Four Seasons that evening, it didn’t make sense to spend the money. Our kids barely made it through MNSSHP last year, and since they have experienced something similar already, we decided to save our $$ for the next leg of our vacation, which includes LegoLand, and other fun places.

So in the end, we will have two full days of Disneyland and California Adventure fun. I am really excited for this trip! What we do at each park, and how we spend the time is still being planned out... I have found some OUTSTANDING pages and threads here on the Disneyland pages, and I have my Unofficial Guide to Disneyland as well... I have been busy! We have not told the kids anything as of yet, and it will probably be a surprise. I KNOW LEGOLAND will also be a huge source of excitement and fun for all!
So as we count down to CA, I will take the time to share some other bits and pieces since my last TR... Namely my trip to Oregon and Scotland (since so many asked!) and the various trip planning along the way! I have some photos already! And I have already done some shopping...

STAY TUNED!!!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani *
February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '11 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise *
Happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #19
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Wine Country and Blue Bayou are two places that would be on my list so I am very happy that I will get to experience them virtually! Not to mention hearing what you think of the Grand Californian!

I was only in Disneyland for a half a day after some business meeting ended unexpectedly early so I am hardly an expert. But if I can offer any advice, I'd say "read up." I thought being so familiar with WDW I'd be all set. Perhaps it is my lack of direction but I got "lost" a few times.

Their Downtown Disney is so fun you will have no trouble filling your first night without venturing into the parks!

2xcited2sleep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #20
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
I had a feeling you would be starting something tonight! So glad I was right!
I sort of surprised myself!!! WigD!!!! I miss you! I know we are going to have equal amounts of Disney fun over Halloween! We have to figure something out, like a phone call on the same ride, or text a pic from our phone, SOMETHING!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvXU View Post
The link was kinda cut off... but I found it by searching.

Teaching is an adventure this year. As I told a good friend and former co-worker (at a new school) today I have not cried in a few weeks, it has been a hard start for me. We have a new assistant, a new principal, new job share partner (who taught older kids for her entire career so she was well shocked, and was just treading water for the first month) and a wild class. I finally feel in control and like I am able to teach, but of all my years this has been the most emotionally exhausting. Plus having a first grader at home is shocking... way harder to deal with her all day school than K last year.

I am taking one class too- good memory, online an admin class that is okay, but takes time. My DIS time has been cut, and it has been for the most part read breeze through only.
Oh WOW. I totally feel your pain. Nolyn started Kindergarten, is having a lot of fuss with his left-handedness, I think, and Griffin is busy with accelerated everything, and I am worried he is such a day dreamer... AND work this fall for whatever reason, really kicked me on my rear end this year, too... I get you on the exhausting bit. Hang in there!!!

Well even a mental break on the DIS away from everything else is good at times! So keep popping in!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magichusky View Post
Hi there!! I'm so excited b/c I just randomly read your Christmas TR from last year and I was browsing the DL section, saw "Happydog" and thought, my goodness what's Happydog doing all the way out here in the DL boonies?? I've been reading all of the Christmas WDW TRs I can find b/c my family and I are going to WDW this Christmas for the first time ever! I'm looking forward to reading about your DL adventure!

Oh! WELCOME!!!! COME ON OVER!!! CHRISTMAS??!! YAY!!!!! That was byfar one of the best trips we ever had. Everyone in my family agrees... Christmas is magical in Disneyworld!!! I am so excited for you!!!

It DOES feel like I am in the boonies!! The Disneyland thread and the Cruiseline thread!!! Totally different! But I have been over here checking everything out!! Lots of great info!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Don't worry -- my kids knew all the words to all the songs at an early age, too. The music is just too catchy to resist playing it in the car.
Totally funny, right?? Tim Burton music... what will their teachers say??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I'm so excited about your trip! I really want to get to Disneyland soon so this will be a great education for me.
Oh, well, it is for me TOO!!! Glad you are here, LL!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
I'm here!! WOOT WOOT!!!! Yes I want tons of pictures of the Haunted Mansion LOL!! Maybe I should send you a stick "me" and you can take me on the ride with you LOL!!!!

YAY!!! JEN!!!!!
DO it!! DO it!!! Better yet, I will do it!!! I can print your picture!!! WATCH Me.... Don't say I didn't warn you....

Quote:

OT: I'm with Laura and Jackie, but the whole new school thing, getting settled into a new routine the first 6 weeks has come and gone and I still feel I have days where its the first day of school all over again! I'm hoping at some point I will have that feeling of control over ALL my classes, But things are getting better!
Oh I think we ALL get that... I agree something about this year was definitely different for me, too! But I feel like I am getting above it finally.

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani *
February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '11 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise *
Old 10-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #21
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
I'm excited to be able to read a good report on Disneyland. Jill may possibly get to go out there at some point when John travels for business. That would be very cool.

I have seen tiny bits and pieces of Nightmare Before Christmas. Maybe I should take the time to watch it in full. I have a teacher friend who is nuts about it, so I could borrow her movie. Whenever I go to Disney World in October, she always wants me to be on the lookout for new Jack Skellington things.
Oh MeMom!! You are here! YAY! We all will have fall Disney adventures to report on! I will take good notes, I guarantee it! And I will get copious photos, don't you worry!!! I am really interested to compare.

The movie is really fun, I love it. The kids LOVE it. We over watch it, to the point of nausea though, but it goes away after Nov 1st!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsMinnie View Post
I'm in! This will be the first PTR for Disneyland I have read!!! Excited to hear all about it!

Nice to see so many teachers on here too. I am in my first year of teaching and my class are a serious handful. Does it ever get any easier????
Yay!! Welcome over!! I am so glad you are here! I will be sharing about my trip to your neck of the woods, too! Teaching. Well, I think it gets easier, but it is never the same year twice. Your bag of tricks just gets bigger!

Old 10-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #22
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Wine Country and Blue Bayou are two places that would be on my list so I am very happy that I will get to experience them virtually! Not to mention hearing what you think of the Grand Californian!

I was only in Disneyland for a half a day after some business meeting ended unexpectedly early so I am hardly an expert. But if I can offer any advice, I'd say "read up." I thought being so familiar with WDW I'd be all set. Perhaps it is my lack of direction but I got "lost" a few times.

Their Downtown Disney is so fun you will have no trouble filling your first night without venturing into the parks!
Thanks C!!!! Yes, I am really excited too! DH refused a character meal at Ariel's Grotto -- for the WOC dining package.. He wasn't feeling the princess scene.... So I am curious to see what it is like, too! Blue Bayou was a MUST for us... really good food. Great atmosphere!

I am reading, TRUST me, I am reading!!!

Old 10-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #23
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

I can't wait to see me on Haunted Mansion with you and your crew LOL

Your plans sounds awesome!!! You guys are going to have such a great time!

I can't wait to hear about your thoughts on the restaurants at DLR and the Grand Californian...WOW!!!! I'm excited to visit DLR through your PTR and TR!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
jenjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #24
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Great intro of the cast, and I laughed out loud when I read you had cropped your uncooperative boys out of the picture! I am so going to remember that for our pictures if the need arises!

Oh, I am so excited you are going to be eating at the Blue Bayou! That is one place I am dying to try one day! To sit there in that great place and watch the POTC boats go by! Is Disneyland a "dry land" like the Magic Kingdom? Maybe they have some great drinks there you can try for the both of us!

The boys are going to be so surprised! Do you have a cool reveal all planned out?
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #25
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can't wait to see me on Haunted Mansion with you and your crew LOL

Your plans sounds awesome!!! You guys are going to have such a great time!

I can't wait to hear about your thoughts on the restaurants at DLR and the Grand Californian...WOW!!!! I'm excited to visit DLR through your PTR and TR!
You know I will...

I am looking forward to it all as well. I think it will be great fun.

Quote:
Great intro of the cast, and I laughed out loud when I read you had cropped your uncooperative boys out of the picture! I am so going to remember that for our pictures if the need arises!
Well, yours are a little older, and ONE is a girl, so that will likely not happen to you Me? Griffin is totally photo ready, all the time. Nolyn, he is going through the "hide when you see a camera phase" -- and has been. I think he is getting over this. But I thought, well, why lose a perfectly nice photo of us??!!

Quote:
Oh, I am so excited you are going to be eating at the Blue Bayou! That is one place I am dying to try one day! To sit there in that great place and watch the POTC boats go by! Is Disneyland a "dry land" like the Magic Kingdom? Maybe they have some great drinks there you can try for the both of us!

The boys are going to be so surprised! Do you have a cool reveal all planned out?

Alas, Disneyland doesn't permit alcohol inside their gates, either. BUT that is okay. California Adventure, on the other hand, we will definitely be exploring the equivalent of the Dawa Bar...

It is a neat restaurant, somewhat like the Mexico Pavillion. I am looking forward to eating!!!!

No big reveal planned yet. I am scheming...

Old 10-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #26
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

I'm so jealous you are going to Blue Bayou, that is ONE thing I know I want to experience when I go to Disneyland. World of Color too, I adore the soundtrack from that so I know it's going to be awesome for you!
Lady Lallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #27
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I'm so jealous you are going to Blue Bayou, that is ONE thing I know I want to experience when I go to Disneyland. World of Color too, I adore the soundtrack from that so I know it's going to be awesome for you!
You know the last time I was there was when I was in my early 20s... My DH went to Disneyland with students about seven years ago, before they flew across the pacific to Australia... He ate at the Blue Bayou they got a table walk up at the end of the night on my recommendation that he go there, and he so enjoyed it he said we had to go there together as a family. So that is the plan!

I have not heard the music -- well actually I may have heard it on the podcast I think -- but I am looking forward to seeing it! We got the dining package so we had seating covered...

Old 10-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #28
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Hey HD! Glad to see you've started your PTR, you're going to have so much fun! We skipped Blue Bayou when we went to DL so I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it And staying at the Grand Californian - I'm so jealous!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #29
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

How about we plan a time that we can put our feet up, have a drink and put each other on speaker phone?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: