Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #16
alisonh
Mouseketeer

I don't really have anything new to add, but California is a lovely place and has so much to see that I don't know how you could run out. Disneyland is a blast, DH likes it better than WDW, I think they are just different but I love it! If you hit the other things in the area like Sea World, Lego Land, Universal Studios, San Diego zoo, etc there is so much! The beaches are nice, they are all different, some are rugged, some sandy, some crowded, some not. The desert areas are neat too, Palm Springs, etc. I agree that Yosemite is a must see, as is Sequioa National forrest, although they are inland so I am not sure if you will hit them or not. I have not driven PCH 1 from LA to San Fran but our honeymoon was from San Fran north along it and it was AMAZING. We did the Winchester Mystery house, neat. We also did the Redwoods up north of San Fran, that was great too. Napa is a short drive from San Fran as well. I could have spent a long time in San Fran itself wandering the streets, at the warf, etc. A neat city. You will have a blast!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #17
Danibelle
DIS Veteran

My favorite area is the Central Coast (from Ventura to Monterey) and I was fortunate to live there for a few years. Monterey/Carmel/Pacific Grove is gorgeous and you can enjoy the state parks, historical sites, old Missions. I also recommend San Francisco because it is unique! There are a lot of things to do there including a boat trip to Alcatraz. I also have enjoyed the Big Sur area. There are wineries in the Monterey area and San Luis Obispo/Paso Robles area if you are so inclined. Have fun!!

Danibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #18
Danibelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipetotec View Post
Are there redwoods between LA and SF ? Or are the really big ones just in Redwood National Park north of SF?
There are coastal redwoods in Big Sur. The giant redwoods can be found at Sequoia National Park and Yosemite NP.

Danibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #19
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
You'll drive through coastal redwoods on hwy 1 in Big Sur. The big ones are in the Sierras, tho'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danibelle View Post
There are coastal redwoods in Big Sur. The giant redwoods can be found at Sequoia National Park and Yosemite NP.
Sorry, but both these comments are wrong.

Redwood trees belong to the species Sequoia sempervirens. They are the tallest trees on earth, and are found only on the California coast (may extend a slight ways into Oregon).

The giant sequoias belong to the species Sequoiadendron giganteum. They are the most massive trees on earth, but are not as tall as redwoods (they're bigger around). They're found only in the Sierra Nevada mountain range. You can find groves of giant sequoias in Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks, among other places.

Both species are very impressive to see in person. But if you ask "where do I see the giant redwoods", the answer is, on the California coast.

HTH,
Bob
GrandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #20
Miss SD
Mouseketeer

If you don't want to go way far north in Calif., you can see redwoods in the Santa Cruz Mountains. You can take a train (Roaring Camp Railroad) from Felton to the Santa Cruz boardwalk and see the redwoods along the way. (Or take the train from Santa Cruz to Felton.) It's a wonderful way to experience the rustic and beachy side of Calif. in a really short time. If you're tired of the beach scene, I think the railroad also offers a train that stays in the mountain area. Check the schedule before you go; I think there are limited runs in the off season.
Miss SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #21
ORDisneyfans
Mouseketeer

Just have to say Thank you OP'S for the beautiful pictures! I have been to CA many times through out my life and never tire of the diverse landscape!

11/2013 Villas GC 11/18/2011 GCH Concierge 7/13/2011 DLH 3/20/2011 GCH / PPH concierge 8/27/2010 DLH / PPH concierge 3/2010 Residence Inn11/2009 Residence Inn 6/2008 Crowne Plaza 11/2006 Residence Inn 5/2002 WDW 10 days!!! 1999Disneyland with a 2 yo!!! 1989 DH First Trip to the Mouse! Many Childhood Trips!!
ORDisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:14 AM   #22
smiley_face2
What a great idea for a thread! Good grief, I'm going to gain another 5 pounds

I wish everyone would keep posting pictures of the beautiful, awe inspiring state of California! I can't even begin to explain how many amazing hours we have spent exploring... some of the very best memories we have come from there! Our best trip so far was a good 10 days spent in Disneyland, followed by 10 more days of slowing meandering along the coast all the way up to northern Oregon. But the best bit was the Big Sur stretch. I know I don't want to get older, but seriously, we are already planning our retirement with the plan being buying a truck and camper or small trailer and spending at least 4 if not 6 months of the year in California!! the thought of being able to just go where you want there, exploring the redwoods, both types!... for days and days...wandering those miles and miles of sandy beaches, driving through the miles and miles of fields filled with all the amazing produce we are so lucky to get up here in BC within 24 hours of it being picked!.... finding little out of the way vineyards to sample the mouthwatering California wines... afternoon nap back in the camper or trailer to follow.... waking up to find some awesome little retaurant to have an amazing meal of all that good produce, succulent beef, or fresh seafood on the coast! exploring the desert at the right time to see the flowers bloom... finding old ghost towns...exploring antique shops in San Francisco.... It's going to take us those 4-6 months every year for as long as we can do it to be able to see it all!! One of my favorite memories is when we were driving along the Big Sur... we had bought a giant succulent orange flesh honeydew from a farm stand... we stopped on the coast at a look out area, and had a picnic, and a nap...such a simple thing but such a truly wonderful time! that's not even touching on all the fun to be had at all the various theme parks, aquariums, zoos, etc.... we LOVE California!!

the beach at Huntington Beach

me peeking out of one of those giant redwoods!

Hearst Castle

me on the beach near Cambria

Our current vehicle for our road trips...we call it "The Black Pearl" lol...sadly due to the evil thing called work, we can't be away from home for more than a couple of weeks or so at a time, so for now, we drive the pearl and stay in hotels. Here the Pearl is parked on the coastline along Big Sur somewhere

In Loving Memory of our dear son 02/22/1982-01/28/2011
smiley_face2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:31 AM   #23
smiley_face2
What a great idea for a thread! Good grief, I'm going to gain another 5 pounds

Hubby driving our car through a redwood

Really cool old Victorian houses in Eureka

Hearst Castle

fields of I think strawberries near Salinas

that's it for now..I could fill the boards with pictures here as I'm sure lot's of us could! but I'll try not to duplicate ones already done like San Francisco and San Diego.....

In Loving Memory of our dear son 02/22/1982-01/28/2011
smiley_face2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #24
xipetotec
DIS Veteran

Well we're booked anyway. So the trip is a go!

I talekd to her about this thread and she concedes that even though she has her doubts, she's on board! *thumbsup* I can't wait!

xipetotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #25
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Have fun! You will enjoy every minute of it!

Remember Dreams Come True

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #26
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

[QUOTE=smiley_face2;38460354]I wish everyone would keep posting pictures of the beautiful, awe inspiring state of California! I can't even begin to explain how many amazing hours we have spent exploring... some of the very best memories we have come from there! Our best trip so far was a good 10 days spent in Disneyland, followed by 10 more days of slowing meandering along the coast all the way up to northern Oregon. But the best bit was the Big Sur stretch. I know I don't want to get older, but seriously, we are already planning our retirement with the plan being buying a truck and camper or small trailer and spending at least 4 if not 6 months of the year in California!! the thought of being able to just go where you want there, exploring the redwoods, both types!... for days and days...wandering those miles and miles of sandy beaches, driving through the miles and miles of fields filled with all the amazing produce we are so lucky to get up here in BC within 24 hours of it being picked!.... finding little out of the way vineyards to sample the mouthwatering California wines... afternoon nap back in the camper or trailer to follow.... waking up to find some awesome little retaurant to have an amazing meal of all that good produce, succulent beef, or fresh seafood on the coast! exploring the desert at the right time to see the flowers bloom... finding old ghost towns...exploring antique shops in San Francisco.... It's going to take us those 4-6 months every year for as long as we can do it to be able to see it all!! One of my favorite memories is when we were driving along the Big Sur... we had bought a giant succulent orange flesh honeydew from a farm stand... we stopped on the coast at a look out area, and had a picnic, and a nap...such a simple thing but such a truly wonderful time! that's not even touching on all the fun to be had at all the various theme parks, aquariums, zoos, etc.... we LOVE California!!

I feel the same way.
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #27
xipetotec
DIS Veteran

Ha... Just as a funny sidenote, DW asks me yesterday
"So why aren't we going to San Diego?"
"Because we don't really have time"
"Oh, cause that's probably the one place I'd be really interested in going to" ( she's big on animal conservation and wildlife, and not only is the San Diego zoo there, but also some kind of wildlife conservatory ).

P.S. Keep in mind, this is all through texts and it makes her sound way more bratty than she really is she IS keeping an open mind about our trip... she's just not "thrilled" about it.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #28
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed

Quote:
she's big on animal conservation and wildlife, and not only is the San Diego zoo there, but also some kind of wildlife conservatory
The San Diego Wild Animal Park is actually in Escondido, which is kinda half way between Anaheim and San Diego. Well worth a trip.

If she's into conservation, and you're going to/through Monterey, then you have to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium. They're heavily into conservation and public education. Be sure to pick up a copy of their Seafood Watch pocket guide, which tells you which seafoods are sustainable.

(Disclaimer - I work for the sister organization, MBARI).

-Bob
GrandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #29
xipetotec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
The San Diego Wild Animal Park is actually in Escondido, which is kinda half way between Anaheim and San Diego. Well worth a trip.

If she's into conservation, and you're going to/through Monterey, then you have to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium. They're heavily into conservation and public education. Be sure to pick up a copy of their Seafood Watch pocket guide, which tells you which seafoods are sustainable.

(Disclaimer - I work for the sister organization, MBARI).

-Bob
We are on a pretty tight schedule, so evne going that far south would be really out of our way. However, I will suggest the Monterey Bay Aquarium to the group.
Thanks!

Old 10-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #30
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
We are on a pretty tight schedule, so evne going that far south would be really out of our way. However, I will suggest the Monterey Bay Aquarium to the group.
Thanks!
I would go to the Aqarium. For me it would be really tough to pick from the park and zoo in SD or the aquarium. They are all best of class for sure. But since you are going up hwy 1, you shouldn't miss the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: