Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

Gluten Free Breakfast Snacks

On our last trip we had free dining but my family wanted to use snack credits for breakfast on a few mornings. They had tons of pastries to choose from and used their refillable mug at the resort. I am gluten free so I was really stuck. The only "pastries" were a packaged cookie or brownie. Obviously not breakfast material. I was kind of stuck with what to do as a fruit or yogurt was not filling for me when my family ate giant cinnamon rolls that tided them over until 1pm. I finally ended up getting milk and cereal one morning but that's two credits.

Can anyone offer me some suggestions for our next trip so I can make better use of my snack credits for a breakfast? Are certain resorts better than others for this or are there some in park places that have gluten free breakfast snacks?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
sleepingbean
DIS Veteran

I am not sure who is selling BabyCakes on property, but I loved their banana bread and the donuts were OK. You could look for the current list. They may only have cupcakes, though. At Animal Kingdom, there is an allergey kiosk where you can buy gluten free snacks. At MK, fruit, baked potatoes, nuts...
I haven't asked, but I wonder if Sunshine Seasons would bring out a gf donut or muffin? I bet they would. They seemed confused as to how to warm a gluten free item for breakfast the last time I was there (I can't remember if it was a muffin or a waffle), but that may be an option. That is in Epcot. I would think they could come up with something! Hollywood Studios has the breakfast sandwich option, not sure if it's a snack credit, though? And the Port orlean/Riverside has the GF beignets. Typically, I bring LaraBars with me for the morning and I use my snack credit on fruit or a treat (cookie or something frozen

The Gluten Free Dairy Free Food We Ate in Disney World
We are NOT Disney People - The First trip report - Pt 1

sleepingbean is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

Thanks sleepingbean. I wish they had more options at the resorts. I know we will either stay deluxe or value on the next trip so beignets won't be an option. I will check a little more into the in park places you mentioned.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #4
GinnyBear's_mom
I say we start with dessert & go backwards; its been a backwards kind of day

Babycakes provides gf donuts to the Beach Club Marketplace. You mentioned using your snack credits for gf breakfast items, but have you thought about placing an order through babycakes? You could order enough items to last for your trip and keep them in your resort room fridge.

|October '14 Grand Floridian| September '14 ASMo| August '13 Sheraton Vistana Villages| October '11 FWR Cabins| August '09 offsite|July '09 offsite |July '07 CSR| March '95 DL| June '83 Poly
GinnyBear's_mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by APiratesLifeForMe2 View Post
On our last trip we had free dining but my family wanted to use snack credits for breakfast on a few mornings. They had tons of pastries to choose from and used their refillable mug at the resort. I am gluten free so I was really stuck. The only "pastries" were a packaged cookie or brownie. Obviously not breakfast material. I was kind of stuck with what to do as a fruit or yogurt was not filling for me when my family ate giant cinnamon rolls that tided them over until 1pm. I finally ended up getting milk and cereal one morning but that's two credits.

Can anyone offer me some suggestions for our next trip so I can make better use of my snack credits for a breakfast? Are certain resorts better than others for this or are there some in park places that have gluten free breakfast snacks?
Bring your breakfast.

Last trip I brought GF bars and snacks, oatmeal, shelf stable smoothies, and bought a half gallon of milk for the room and ate in room or at the bus stop every morning. Packed it all down in my checked suitcase. (well except for the milk)

I'll probably do the same on the next trip as, I have more restrictive food lists now (not GF but muiltiple allergies including wheat/oatmeal).

You could also bring GF bread or waffles and toast it in the food court in the morning.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
Ali
DIS Veteran

GF breakfast snacks do not exist, but cereal and milk is supposed to be 1 snack, not 2, according to the CMS at all the values.

Bring protein bars with you to tide you over until lunch. Remember to use your snacks later in the day.
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
GF breakfast snacks do not exist, but cereal and milk is supposed to be 1 snack, not 2, according to the CMS at all the values.

Bring protein bars with you to tide you over until lunch. Remember to use your snacks later in the day.
Well unfortunately I guess I have not been lucky enough to have a cast member that considered milk and cereal to be one snack. I even asked to clarify that on the last trip.

I wish I liked protein bars but the think thin and lara bars just don't taste good to me. There used to be a brand that made chocolate chip granola bars at my grocer but the now only carry the gluten ones.

I typically eat a waffle or cereal for breakfast when I am home so I think I will plan to buy milk and take gluten free cereal with me. It is easier to go ahead and get breakfast out of the way at the resort then have to be hungry trying to track down something in the parks in the morning.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
... cereal and milk is supposed to be 1 snack, not 2, according to the CMS at all the values. ...
We have also done cereal + milk as one snack credit for breakfast. I don't know if matters what time of day, though if purchased separately each is a 1-credit item. However, we often bring our own little boxes of cereal and pick up a quart of milk, to eat in the room.

Good luck with the GF breakfast and enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
DIS Veteran

I plan on having a banana and maybe some type of gluten free cereal/granola bars. They may not be the healthiest but my daughter loves the Fruity Pebbles gluten free cereal bars! Also Walmart has a dark chocolate drizzled granola bar in their gluten free section..I think it's great value brand.
June 2009~2 week WDW-Cocoa beach extravaganza!/Windsor Hills
October 2010~Our 1st WDW MNSSHP/Windsor Hills
June 2012~ 2 week WDW(YES program)-Universal-Seaworld-Cocoa beach/Windsor Hills
June/July 2014~last minute 20th anniversary/4th July trip!!!
October 2014~MNSSHP and onsite at CBR!
BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #10
Ali
DIS Veteran

I do have to say though that the GF chocolate covered donut at the beach club store was delicious no matter what time of day I got it.

I love the creamy peanut butter think thin bars and the no gii bars too so I always bring those when I travel.

The resorts do carry udi's gf muffins but they are not out in the food courts. You have to get them from the check or at a TS place.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #11
curlyhair
Deb

I don't know if this an option for you, but you can order groceries delivered to your room when you arrive. We use gardengrocer.com. We need vegetarian/GF items and my dh is dairy-free as well. We can eat in the room or have snacks to bring to the parks if needed. One thing I have found that is helpful is that if you can have peanut butter, you can get the snack packs of pb and that with gf crackers + fruit and yogurt can provide a filling breakfast. I know garden grocers has Udi's bread as well as many other GF crackers/bread/snack items. I was really surprised!
curlyhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I do have to say though that the GF chocolate covered donut at the beach club store was delicious no matter what time of day I got it.
Shut the front door! That sounds delicious! It is in the store? Do you recall the brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyhair View Post
I don't know if this an option for you, but you can order groceries delivered to your room when you arrive. We use gardengrocer.com. We need vegetarian/GF items and my dh is dairy-free as well. We can eat in the room or have snacks to bring to the parks if needed. One thing I have found that is helpful is that if you can have peanut butter, you can get the snack packs of pb and that with gf crackers + fruit and yogurt can provide a filling breakfast. I know garden grocers has Udi's bread as well as many other GF crackers/bread/snack items. I was really surprised!
I have never ordered groceries since it just seems like an extra hassle to worry about food in the room. I never have any problems other than breakfast so I don't think I would need to order groceries. I can probably swing it by just buying milk and packing a box of cereal. The bowl and spoon are another story..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM View Post
Also Walmart has a dark chocolate drizzled granola bar in their gluten free section..I think it's great value brand.
I absolutely detest Walmart but I do occasionally stop in there. I have never see a gluten free item let alone a section. (I'll admit I'm in and out before I know what hit me) Where is the gluten free section in your Walmart? I may have my mom look when she is there next.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #13
jenniy122
Mouseketeer

healthy grains kind bars are gluten free granola bars. they're getting harder to find unfortunately, but I can still get them at target. come in 4 flavors. these are what I took last trip, except I ate them for lunch on the go and had a full meal for breakfast (i'm an early riser).

my blog

jenniy122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #14
Ali
DIS Veteran

At the beach club right where the CMs are making the flat breads there is a small covered bin that has the babycakes items, including the donuts.

And at my walmart they have a ever increasing GF section at the end of the cake mix aisle. There is no rhyme or reason for where they stick the GF section though and you should ask so you can find the stuff. They have a new generic walmart brand of GF items and the mac and cheese is yummy.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #15
wendybeth75
DIS Veteran

We carry DH Rice Krispy Treats for times when we are grabbing a quick breakfast. I'm not sure if the Mickey Rice Krispy treats at the resort are GF or not. When we were at AKL There were GF brownie bites by Baby Cakes. Hope you find some yummy breakfast snacks!

July 2000 Off Property,Oct 2003 All Star sports, Apr 2011 POR, Sept 2011 POR, Oct 2012 BC, Dec 2012 POR, Oct 2013 POLY, Dec 2013 Caribe Royale, Apr 2014 AKL/WL-CL June 2014 POR, October 2014 POR

wendybeth75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: