Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
Donald - my hero
Aww yes. The dreaded "mouse hand"
Rescues lime green Mickey head paint chips from Home Depot

Wink Report on our Dietary issues ...

We just returned from a glorious 2 week trip and thought some of you might want to hear how our dietary needs were handled. I followed the procedure that Disney provides and sent them a detailed list of all of our ADR's and the issues we needed to address. Here's a rundown of both our successes and our misses. Hubby needs to avoid dairy and can only eat peas for a veggie. He can't have tap water which means no ice. ME <shudder> a nightmare to deal with .. have severe gastritis so no tomatoes, onions, peppers, spice other than salt, veggies other than beans or corn no citrus or other highly acidic foods (bizarrely i can handle vinegar .. good things since us Canadians like malt vinegar on fries!)

STELLAR SERVICE

LTT: The chef came out within minutes of us sitting down with a copy of our e-mail in his hand and told us he had been expecting us. Hubby was given a meal that included dairy free dressing, mashed potatoes & gravy and his wonderful fresh green peas. The chef created a pasta dish for me from scratch to address my issues after he cleaned a spot on the grill to ensure that both my chicken and mushrooms could be safely cooked. Hubby had dairy-free frozen dessert (no not Olaf cupcake) and i had fresh strawberries he had presented in a tall glass. He brought out each plate of food himself so that he was able to make sure it safely got to the correct table.

Turf Club: Chef came out and sat down with us as she wrote in detail. She looked up and asked if i knew that they all belong to the "night-shade family" making it super obvious that cooking is her career not simply a job. When the wrong meal was given to me by a runner who took his role to heart (essentially dropped our plates and was gone in a flash) she came out and apologized repeatedly. Our plates were both removed and we were given fresh cutlery, napkins glasses .. the whole nine yards. After we finished dinner and told the waiter that we were too full for dessert she came out to the dining room and gave us an entire box of "safe" brownies .. I'm sure those of you who have dairy or gluten problems have eaten those gems.

Food Court at POFQ: The manager of Food services for the resort came out and chatted with us when we came for dinner one night (hubby wanted to eat their pot roast) and gave us her business card after explaining their new breakfast items. We ended up going there for 4 meals due to the excellent service from 2 chefs (can't recommend this food highly enough they even have dairy-free Beignets)

Olivia's Cafe: Chef made us both awesome breakfasts and told us he would be happy to alter any item at any meal (unfortunately we ate there too late in our trip to return)

Captain's Grille: Breakfast was superb and they gave us more food than we could eat! Chef even tracked down bacon that he felt i could safely eat. Service left a LOT to be desired though ... hubby's coffee was never reflilled.

Rainforest Cafe at AKL: Breakfast OMG i wanted Eggs Benedict but the chef told me that the sauce is laced with cayenne pepper (seriously??) but offered me Alfredo sauce that he would make fresh without the pepper he normally puts in it. The server brought us a dairy-free cupcake to celebrate our anniversary (again chef made a fresh icing!)

Raglan Road: Went for Sunday Brunch and the server (as he put it) "fetched the manager" who sat down with us to chat in detail. I told him that i wanted fish & chips since i had made a special trip to Cooke's just for their chips (the Irish know a thing or too about "proper" chips!) and cheese/bacon dip and had fallen in love with it. He told me that if i was concerned about gluten they had a batter that was prepared in the same fashion as their regular version right down to the beer! But told me that i could have the regular and the chef would leave out any seasonings. The chef delivered our food along with a serving of the dip from Cooke's even though it's not on their menu (we weren't even charged extra for it) Again wish we could have returned again to enjoy both the food and excellent entertainment)

Narccossee's: Chef chatted with us and asked if i could have butter and when i said YES he giggled and told me "i can make anything taste wonderful with gobs of butter & salt .. nectar of the Gods" We were sharing the filet and lobster since we knew it is a massive meal and we were BOTH served a full filet with half the lobster serving. Hubby's was broiled while mine was butter poached, his steak was seasoned to his liking and mine was butter-seared, hubby got fresh peas (again not on the menu) while i had blanched & buttered rainbow carrots. We were served fresh berries with ice cream he made from coconut milk! Even though we had 2 full filets we were only charged for 1 meal!! We were served champagne with strawberries to celebrate with.

Kona Cafe: Service & food EXCELLENT .. chef took my hand and told me that she suffers from gastritis as well and would take special care to make me a meal that she would be comfortable eating herself. I wish we hadn't waited till our last meal to eat there!

The wave: a last minute decision to replace a meal that we couldn't fit in. Food was to die for!! I had Pumpkin-Mascaprone Ravioli that was on the menu but mine was cooked from scratch so i could eat it! Hubby had the Herb-Salt Seasoned Beef Tenderloin and although it served with green beans (which he hates and shouldn't eat) was served with butternut squash freshly cooked (it was on teh menu as mashed with cream). He had some incredible dessert offerings and i was served fresh vanilla ice cream.

OOPS gotta run and do some of the rotten errands that piled up in our absence so i'll finish this later.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post52016805
Donald - my hero is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: