Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
milmore104
My DH is "Dusty Boots"

Need help and advice for someone in a wheelchair

Ok here's my situation. I LOVE Disney World and have had an AP for years now. My family and I go sometimes a couple times a week. Recently my family has taken in the lady I take care of who can no longer live alone. She has CP and is in a wheelchair. She can walk slowly if I help her. I'm just wondering what I'm going to run into when we bring her with us to Disney World? I know several rides have special cars she can just drive onto. But what about rides that don't? Can she just not go on them? She really wants to go on the Mine Train, Big Thunder, and Test Track. Sorry I'm completely new to this. Any help would be great TIA.

milmore104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

My daughter has CP and has gone on many of the more 'wild' rides.
She loves Test Track, Tower of Terror, Star Tours, Kali River Rapids ,Dinosaur and Soarin
She has been on Splash Mountain, but not in a while - it is a very hard transfer because of the high sides and low seat of the ride car.

She has been on Primeval Whirl, but I would highly recommend NOT going on that unless your friend has very good trunk control and can brace with both arms and legs. It is very

She has not been on any of the Mountains other than Splash, Big Thunder Railroad or the Mine Car - mostly because she is a tiny adult with spasticity that gets more pronounced when she is excited. We did not feel that we could safely keep her in place on those rides. Also Space Mountain requires transferring to and from a ride car almost on the ground and sitting by yourself.

If you have not looked at the disABILITIES FAQs thread yet, I would suggest starting there. You can follow the lnk in my signature or look near the top of the board. The first post in that thread is an index that tells which posts have which information.
Posts 18-23 should be very helpful to you.
They have information about the type of transfer required, whether there is a wheelchair accessible ride car and attractions with warnings.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: