Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2010, 11:50 PM   #256
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Not at all. You just suck at this as much as I suck at your "guess the letter" game.

Anyway, I see 2 unclaimed movie quotes in the various replies. I didn't bring all of them up, either.
It keeps you humble to suck at something. I personally like to suck on apricot sours or good French wine.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:06 AM   #257
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
It keeps you humble to suck at something. I personally like to suck on apricot sours or good French wine.
Has your Disney trip turned you into a wine-oh?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2010, 12:12 AM   #258
that's nice
DDC #330

The meal at LTT sounds good. I should add this one to the long list of restaurants I would like to try someday.

Great parenting skills tempting the kids with souvenirs only to pull the 'later in the week' routine! Way to use your noggin'!

I must agree with the other posters.... beautiful night time shots!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:20 AM   #259
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
Has your Disney trip turned you into a wine-oh?
nah, but I'd rather suck at that than this game. oh wait, i already do that...

Old 10-13-2010, 07:35 AM   #260
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Star Wars episode II - Attack of the Clones
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3sonstt View Post
Since you said there were still some unclaimed quotes out there and that you didn't bring all of them up - I am going to latch on to this one.

It seems like it is a Bill Murray-ism from Caddyshack
Indeed it is! +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Or Dole Whips!

Quote:
The meal at LTT sounds good. I should add this one to the long list of restaurants I would like to try someday.

Great parenting skills tempting the kids with souvenirs only to pull the 'later in the week' routine! Way to use your noggin'!

I must agree with the other posters.... beautiful night time shots!
LTT is good stuff. I wonder how long it would take to try all of the restaurants at Disney?

And thanks!
Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #261
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Day 3: The Animal Kingdom

If you had asked Scotty before we left which ride he was looking forward to the most at all of Disney World (and we did), he would have said without hesitation, "The Safari." Or, as he called it, "Da-fari". Scotty loves animals, especially dogs (all dogs are "puppies" in his world). He wore out one pair of pajamas that depicted a dog wearing a space suit, wearing them well past the point where they actually fit and the elastic...well, held up the pants. He called them his Space Puppies pajamas. One year, he even wanted a Space Puppies-themed birthday party. Try finding that at your local Target.

Anyway, we figured the Animal Kingdom would be a welcome relief for him after all those scary rides from the previous day, such as Peter Pan.

The schedule showed this to be a morning EMH day for AK, but we didn't kill ourselves trying to get there at 8:00 a.m. Instead, we slept in (for us) and got to the park around 8:45 or so. We were surprised to be stopped just past the gate for the Rope Drop ceremony. I never did figure out if they had actually opened at 8:00 or not. Anyway, this ceremony was a little smaller than the Magic Kingdom, but we still got to see some characters. Instead of entering on a train, it was a safari jeep:

It was cute, if not memorable. Once we were let in, we made our way through the lush jungle of the Oasis and headed straight for Dafari. We zipped through the queue and basically got right on.

I think Dafari is still a great attraction, even with the lame poachers story. Nobody pays attention to that part, anyway. Just seeing the animals in a beautiful re-creation of an African savannah is enough to keep me interested.

Rhino fight! These guys were facing off over the territory by the pond, according to our driver:

We had wanted to do the safari early in the day to try and catch animals who were awake, and for the most part, they didn't disappoint. I turned around to point some animals out to Scotty, who was extremely excited to see them. And by "extremely excited to see them," I mean slouched down on the bench looking as though he was ready for a nap. I think he actually started to lie down at one point, all the time insisting that he was enjoying the ride and wanted to see more animals. How much was his ticket again?

Here's the momma lion:

I would have taken a picture of the male lion, but--you'll never believe this!--he was asleep. In all of the years I've been on this ride, I have never once seen the male lion awake. I continue to believe that Disney does not own a real male lion, but simply an animatronic one that simulates a lion sleeping.

We went from Dafari to the Pangani Forest trail, and took our time enjoying the walk and the sights. Found several birds of the (mumble-mumble) species, a fish tank that captivated the kids, some naked molerats stumbling through dirt tunnels, snakes (why did it have to be snakes?), and gorillas. The Animal Kingdom may be lighter on attractions than the other parks, but the theming of Africa and Asia is some of the best on property, in my opinion. More on that later. Here's a waterfall on the trail where I tried longer exposures to blur the water. We didn't use the tripod, so I won't bother showing you the other 10 pictures where everything was blurrier.

The weather forecast had said it would be HOT! D#$% HOT! Being that it was mid-morning and we were sweating, it was right on the money. Time to make our way to Kali River Rapids.

After enduring a certain nameless child complaining through the line that he didn't want to go on this ride , we ignored him and had everyone climb aboard the raft. Don't forget to remember us when filling out your Parents of the Year nomination forms! Another family was seated with us. Making our way to the first climb, we remembered the large fountain that shoots up at the top, and we debated with the other family as to who would get soaked. I seemed to think that it would drench the person at the front of the raft, while the other dad said he thought it got the people in the back. We hit the ramp, and yours truly got parked at the front. Maybe the other dad was right?

The raft slowly climbed, inexorably moving forward. Mist and fog shrouded the top, making it difficult to make out the fountain at the top. I sat with my back to it, unsure of my fate. "I've got a bad feeling about this," I said.

We brought a disposable water-proof camera with us, but haven't gotten the film developed yet. Once we do, I'll try and post the picture of me getting drenched at the top of the ramp so you can mock me. Thanks a lot, Mr. Non-Expert Raft Guy. I had a long streak of rapids rides where I never got wet. The last 2, I've been soaked. I don't know why my luck has turned. Maybe it's because I'm Irish.

Anyway, we got the last laugh. Mr. Non-Expert Raft Guy and his family were at the front when we went down the drop.

We let the boys take turns pressing the button on the bridge to soak other riders after we got off. It was getting close to high noon, which meant...

It was time to take on Everest.

We polled the family to see who would be brave enough to face the Yeti. Sarah said she would try it, in a halting voice. The boys...well, honestly, what do you think the chances of the boys riding Everest were? One in a hundred? I'd say more like one in a million.

So I'm telling you there's a chance...

Coming Up Next: Who will brave the Himalayan Expedition? Later, who will get an actual Date Night at Disney World? And just what is a "Date", anyway? Never heard of it.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #262
that's nice
DDC #330

Getting my answers in

why did it have to be snakes?

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Great movie!

HOT! D#$% HOT
Spaceballs

I've got a bad feeling about this
StarWars- Han Solo

One in a hundred? I'd say more like one in a million.
Dumb & Dumber

Sorry, I'm never on when you post an update.. I have to try to catch up!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #263
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Getting my answers in

why did it have to be snakes?

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Great movie!

HOT! D#$% HOT
Spaceballs

I've got a bad feeling about this
StarWars- Han Solo

One in a hundred? I'd say more like one in a million.
Dumb & Dumber

Sorry, I'm never on when you post an update.. I have to try to catch up!
You were quick to the trigger this time... stole all the fun.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #264
that's nice
DDC #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
You were quick to the trigger this time... stole all the fun.
I think there is 1 or 2 more that aren't as obvious!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #265
MissLiz
DIS Veteran

Dang, that was fast!

We've only been on Kali River Rapids once, and I was drenched by the end. Stupid, stinkin' ride.

I kind of wish they would lose the whole poacher story line on the safari. The only thing it does is allow the driver to get through the non-animal part at the end a whole lot quicker.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #266
that's nice
DDC #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLiz View Post
Dang, that was fast!
Sorry....

Quote:
I kind of wish they would lose the whole poacher story line on the safari. The only thing it does is allow the driver to get through the non-animal part at the end a whole lot quicker.
I agree. They should just say 'Enough of this going slow stuff, who is ready to drive fast?' Then gun it!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #267
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
I think there is 1 or 2 more that aren't as obvious!
All I see is Date Night which is the title of a movie... not exactly a quote.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #268
that's nice
DDC #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
All I see is Date Night which is the title of a movie... not exactly a quote.
If Mark doesn't give you a point for that I will....

+1

Old 10-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #269
All7OfUs

Tim was just too quick on the draw.... but I woulda gotten the snakes one.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #270
MissLiz
DIS Veteran

Well, if we are going for movie titles, too, then High Noon is a movie title.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: