Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #211
MissLiz
DIS Veteran

Why do I keep going back to "back on the mainland"? Wasn't that used in some sort of super hero show? Like the one that had the Wonder Twins on it or something?

But, my guess for the gag is "Best. Use. Of. A. Snack. Credit. Ever." as The Simpsons (even though, blasphemy, I haven't seen the movie). Doesn't Comic Book Guy always say things like Worst. Episode. Ever.?
Old 10-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #212
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Copying me is ALWAYS a bad strategy. I may have lucked out on a point, but even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while. I've read his posts a couple of times this morning and I can't find anything else...

And by the way Captain, all this talk about points and quotes, but the TR is pretty good too. I should know, I read it a couple of times.
Man, I feel kinda bad for you. No one should be subjected to my drivel more than once. I'm actually surprised that this one is stumping everyone. I thought it was a pretty famous gag. I'll give another hint below.

In any case, I appreciate your comment about the TR. I'm glad everyone is having fun with the game--just hope everyone is having fun with the report as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLiz View Post
Why do I keep going back to "back on the mainland"? Wasn't that used in some sort of super hero show? Like the one that had the Wonder Twins on it or something?

But, my guess for the gag is "Best. Use. Of. A. Snack. Credit. Ever." as The Simpsons (even though, blasphemy, I haven't seen the movie). Doesn't Comic Book Guy always say things like Worst. Episode. Ever.?
Nope, still not it. You guys are working awfully hard at this.

Hint #2: The numbers 86 and 99 were important to both the TV series and the movie.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #213
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Hint #2: The numbers 86 and 99 were important to both the TV series and the movie.
You know what, based on your hint I thought it might be this movie, but I can't find a quote! I guess I missed it by thaat much.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #214
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

I wish my shoe would stop ringing so I'd have a chance to look back again.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #216
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
It must be "would you believe they sat in indifferent silence" = Get Smart!
Yep, I think you got it!
Old 10-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #217
MissLiz
DIS Veteran

That's got to be it!!!

I figured out that it must be Get Smart, but I couldn't figure out what the line was.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #218
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
It must be "would you believe they sat in indifferent silence" = Get Smart!
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Yep, I think you got it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLiz View Post
That's got to be it!!!

I figured out that it must be Get Smart, but I couldn't figure out what the line was.
We have a winner! glennbo123:

+1

I was going for the full gag:

Quote:
We made it to Peter Pan, and Scotty and Dave proudly hopped aboard a ship by themselves, rode with no issues, and immediately announced they would ride again.

Would you believe they sat in indifferent silence?

All right, how about: hands over the ears and cowering in fear?
What this tells me is that their writers do it much, much better than I do.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #219
Shannon84
DIS Veteran

LOVING your TR so far ... I am not one for remembering movie quotes, though I love to watch movies, but I will follow along anyway for the report and try to play along as well

We just returned Oct 3 and the stupid crane is all over our pictures too!! I didnt even notice it until I looked back at the pictures and DBF didnt want to point it out because I am sure he was afraid I would go into adult crybaby phase which no one likes
Old 10-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #220
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon84 View Post
LOVING your TR so far ... I am not one for remembering movie quotes, though I love to watch movies, but I will follow along anyway for the report and try to play along as well

We just returned Oct 3 and the stupid crane is all over our pictures too!! I didnt even notice it until I looked back at the pictures and DBF didnt want to point it out because I am sure he was afraid I would go into adult crybaby phase which no one likes

Seems like the crane is the price we pay for traveling during low season. I'll take the crane if the crowds are low!
Old 10-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #221
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Current Standings After 6 Entries

Trennr 7
glennbo123 6
FreezinRafiki 4
MissLiz 3
Middlepat 2
That's Nice 2
Melk 1
LegoMan3 1
Mom3sonstt 1
Afwdwfan 1
jedijill 1
Belle_princess 1
Old 10-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #222
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Day 2 concluded: Liberty Tree Tavern

We took a quick trip through the Christmas shop at Liberty Square while we watied for my parents to return from the Haunted Mansion. This is always a dangerous stop, because we usually end up seeing about 8 or 9 ornaments that we wouldn't mind taking home with us. Although we have enough ornaments at home that our tree would most likely collapse under its own weight if we added any more, it's hard to resist adding to the collection. In this case, my wife fell in love with an ornament featuring the 3-eyed Green Alien Guy (GAG) from Toy Story. She has an unhealthy love for this creature, dating back to the first Toy Story movie. A single mention of "the Claw" will send her into hysterics. In fact, I think when she saw the ornament, she said, "Ooooooooo...."

(No points for that one. I already gave it away)

So we got it, of course. Maybe it can replace the dumb cow-in-a-bikini ornament she had to get a couple of years ago. You think I'm making this up, don't you?

We headed into Liberty Tree Tavern and were seated fairly promptly. This was an old favorite from 2006, although we were sad to see that the characters had disappeared. Still, we like the menu quite a bit. If you're going to serve ham, turkey, flank steak, mashed potatoes, mac-and-cheese, salad, bread and apple cobbler with ice cream, you might as well sign me up for every trip. It's a hearty family meal that feels like a good break from burgers and pizza.

Truth be told, I like a flaky crispy pie crust on the cobbler more than the oatmeal-type stuff they serve here, but my mother informed me that this is a traditional colonial-type dish. Whatever. I drowned it in melted vanilla ice cream, which usually makes anything taste good. How come they don't serve vegetables that way?

Here's the family sitting around the table:

Note the 2 cameras hanging on the chair as well as the camcorder on the floor, not including the camera that was used to take the picture. This may have been the most well-documented family vacation in history. Actually, those 2 cameras on the chairs are hand-me-downs that we let the kids use. And doesn't Scotty just look overjoyed to be there? How much did we pay for his ticket again?

Another satisfying meal was done, and we were 2-for-2 with good table-service experiences at WDW.

It was getting to be dusk, and we started to make our way out. No Wishes tonight--they were gearing up for the MNSSHP, which we were too cheap to buy tickets for. (Look at me, ending sentences with prepositions. That is something up with which I will not put.)

We wandered through the Emporium, making the sorts of wish lists every family has to make: namely, what to get as a souvenir for immediate enjoyment, and what to subtly* mention to each other as good Christmas ideas.

*In our family, this means taking something off the rack, handing it to your significant other, and saying, "Here, buy me this for Christmas."

I found a hoodie I liked, and Julie had her eye on a Mickey necklace. The kids appeared to like (and want) everything in the store. They have different ways of telling us, though.

Sarah will see something, but wait until we ask her if she saw anything she liked. Then, she'll point it out in an almost embarrassed fashion, as if she's too modest to ask for it. Dave will attempt manipulation: "Boy, I really wish I could get..." whatever. Scotty is more direct: "Can we buy this now?"

Scotty found a Naked Chip & Dale stuffed animal set and asked for it immediately. Sensing a means to coerce him in to getting on more rides through the week (they teach you this stuff in Cruel Parenting 101), we told him we'd get our souvenirs later.

It was time to retire for the evening, but not before a few picture opportunities. I had bought a Canon Rebel XSi (our first digital SLR) for my wife for her birthday, as she had always had an interest in photography and wanted to jump into a more sophisticated camera than our point-and-shoot. Up to this point in the day, we'd felt that the pictures we had taken were fairly ho-hum. We'd bought a travel tripod just before our trip, and I think the nighttime pictures on this night were where we finally hit our stride with the camera. We took a few on Main St. as darkness fell:

We got back to POR and put the kids in bed. Then we went out to play with our tripod some more.

We wandered through Fulton's General Store and--surprise, surprise, found that it had exactly the same stuff as the Emporium. Count me among those who are disappointed in Disney moving away from resort-specific merchandise.

In any case, 2 days were in the books already, and we could tell that the vacation was going to be a blur, as usual. But we'd fulfilled the first rule of family vacations: be sure when your day is over, you go home alive. Here endeth the lesson.

Coming Up Next: We invade the Animal Kingdom. Will any of the kids dare to conquer Expedition Everest? Or Kali River Rapids? Or even the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail?
Old 10-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #223
Belle_princess
DIS Veteran

"surprise, surprise. . ." The Andy Griffith Show?

"be sure when your day is over, you go home alive. Here endeth the lesson." Untouchables

BTW, your photographs are beautiful! Maybe, I should bring a tripod the next time! Those are fantastic!

January 2015 Pre-Trip Report
All-Star Music- Girls' Trip 2010 Pre-Trip Report TR-not complete
Cornado Springs- Birthday Trip November 2008 Pre-Trip Report Never finished TR
Caribbean Beach- August 2002
All-Star Movies- College Graduation May 2002
Dixie Landings-July 1992
Old 10-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #224
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
We wandered through the Emporium, making the sorts of wish lists every family has to make: namely, what to get as a souvenir for immediate enjoyment, and what to subtly* mention to each other as good Christmas ideas.

*In our family, this means taking something off the rack, handing it to your significant other, and saying, "Here, buy me this for Christmas."

Scotty found a Naked Chip & Dale stuffed animal set and asked for it immediately. Sensing a means to coerce him in to getting on more rides through the week (they teach you this stuff in Cruel Parenting 101), we told him we'd get our souvenirs later.
Great update!

Your wife and you sound just like DH and me. I find what I want and usually buy it and then tell him it is my Christmas gift (I usually end up wrapping it too).

Heay, whatever works. And if Cruel Parenting 101 works, then more power to you.

And LOVE the camera work--great job.

Last edited by KatMark; 10-11-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #225
MissLiz
DIS Veteran

Great update!

It is Monday and my brain is not working, so I haven't even attempted to find any lines.

We always tell our kids that we aren't buying souvenirs until the last day. That way, we can use the "if you don't do this, you don't get that" line the entire trip.

I can't go by any of the Christmas ornaments. I'm a sucker for Christmas and I want all of them!

I need to get a tripod for my camera. I kept trying to take night pictures by holding the camera on a railing, rock, etc and it didn't work well....at all. I have to cross my eyes to make the pictures come out even the least bit clear.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: