Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #166
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Hi Mark, I have seen you around on Liesa's thread and now saw you on Glenn's as well. A first glance at your introduction had me hooked, so I am posting to subscribe! I still have some catching up to do! But don't expect me to score any points in your movie-quote quiz! I could claim my lack of talent there on the fact that movies are shown dubbed into German here in Germany (not a custom I approve off!), but seriously quotes are one of the few things I can't remember very well...
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 10-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #167
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Current Standings After 5 Entries

Trennr 5
FreezinRafiki 4
glennbo123 4
MissLiz 3
Middlepat 2
That's Nice 2
Melk 1
LegoMan3 1
7= BIG FAT ZERO!!

Use some film noir stuff pre-1955, and I'll become a contender. I could BE someone.... (anyone?)

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #168
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
7= BIG FAT ZERO!!

Use some film noir stuff pre-1955, and I'll become a contender. I could BE someone.... (anyone?)
On the waterfront?
Old 10-07-2010, 01:19 AM   #169
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
On the waterfront?
Cheater.

I didn't know it either. but my dad quotes it ALL the time, and since it was so appropriate for here, I thought I'd Google it - like you did.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #170
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Cheater.

I didn't know it either. but my dad quotes it ALL the time, and since it was so appropriate for here, I thought I'd Google it - like you did.
I most certainly did not!

I've never seen the movie, but it's one of Brando's most famous lines....right up there with "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse" and "Stella!!!!!"
Old 10-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #171
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Hi Mark, I have seen you around on Liesa's thread and now saw you on Glenn's as well. A first glance at your introduction had me hooked, so I am posting to subscribe! I still have some catching up to do! But don't expect me to score any points in your movie-quote quiz! I could claim my lack of talent there on the fact that movies are shown dubbed into German here in Germany (not a custom I approve off!), but seriously quotes are one of the few things I can't remember very well...

Hmm. I'm not up on German movies. Maybe I can insert a famous movie line translated into German somewhere. Nobody will pick up on that!

Anyway, thanks for reading along!

Quote:
I most certainly did not!

I've never seen the movie, but it's one of Brando's most famous lines....right up there with "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse" and "Stella!!!!!"
I haven't seen On the Waterfront either, but that one is pretty famous.

Oh--The Godfather and A Streetcar Named Desire. I guess I'm probably disqualified from getting points though.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #172
Belle_princess
DIS Veteran

I still think "So. That went well" is from Princess Diaries said my Queen Clarisse.

I think I should one point. .

Umm, does it count I knew Cars and MOnsters, but wasn't fast enough on the typing!

No worries. I WILL get one!!

January 2015 Pre-Trip Report
All-Star Music- Girls' Trip 2010 Pre-Trip Report TR-not complete
Cornado Springs- Birthday Trip November 2008 Pre-Trip Report Never finished TR
Caribbean Beach- August 2002
All-Star Movies- College Graduation May 2002
Dixie Landings-July 1992
Old 10-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #174
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle_princess View Post
I still think "So. That went well" is from Princess Diaries said my Queen Clarisse.

I think I should one point. .

Umm, does it count I knew Cars and MOnsters, but wasn't fast enough on the typing!

No worries. I WILL get one!!
That's the spirit!

Quote:
I don't know...you make the rules, right?
I do. But it wouldn't be much of a game if I put the quotes in and then immediately named the movies.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #175
sara98629
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=Captain_Oblivious;38483048]
My excitement quickly waned, however, when I found out that It's a Small World was closed for refurbishment. Here I am, showing my profound disappointment:

Seriously the funniest quote and picture ever!
DS Evan, almost 15

Old 10-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #176
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Heard you had a fun game going over here so thought I would join.

I see you had the same parenting instructors we had - when child is scared to tears - take his picture. Our middle boy was very much against anything dark, loud or "scary". Our youngest was more up for things.....until middle boy would declare it "scary" then youngest would re-think it. It didn't do any of them any good - because for the most part we drug them on it anyway
My middle boy did eventually develop the skill of imbedding his feet into the pavement and not moving unless physically lifted - which wasn't possible a lot of the time due to strollers and camera equipment so he did manage to win a few battles

Organ Donors Save Lives www.lifegoeson.com RIP Bret 10-10-62 to 11-26-08
Thank you to the family who cared enough to share! (Kidney recipient 2/22/11)
Old 10-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #177
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Day 2 continues: More of the Magic Kingdom

We decided we needed something a little less dark, noisy or scary. So, we piled onto the raft and headed for Tom Sawyer's island--where we immediately explored a dark, scary cave. Sarah, Dave and I did, anyway. Scotty opted for a potty break, which was probably wise.

For all the high-tech thrills at Disney World, I really enjoy the laid-back charm of TSI. I find it hard to resist the simple charm of exploring caves, forts, rope and barrel bridges, etc. Our kids seemed to take to it right away. They liked finding little spots like Harper's Mill or the windmill, and loved making the bridges bounce. All of that paled in comparison to Fort Langhorn, however.

You can't beat forts. Especially when they have mounted guns that make firing noises when you pull the trigger. And you can aim them at the Liberty Belle or the trains on Thunder Mountain. This was only a single-shot rifle, but Dave somehow managed to make it sound like an automatic weapon as he pumped a runaway train full of lead:

We exited the fort through the Escape Tunnel. Sarah took one look at the sign and said, "Es-KAH-pay...hey! That's spelled like escape!" I was so proud. Scotty, of course, was scared the whole way through the tunnel.

But we finally found something he liked--bouncing on the barrel bridge. (insert sigh of relief here)

Back on the mainland, it was time to use our Peter Pan Fast Passes. I offered to take anyone to the Haunted Mansion as we passed, but...oddly enough, no takers on that one. We did manage to take the first of our many Stupid Hats Pictures©.

We made it to Peter Pan, and Scotty and Dave proudly hopped aboard a ship by themselves, rode with no issues, and immediately announced they would ride again.

Would you believe they sat in indifferent silence?

All right, how about: hands over the ears and cowering in fear? Sigh. Julie rode with Scotty and I had Dave and Sarah in my flying ship. With great reluctance, we found ourselves entering PINHEADS mode (Parental Idiocy Necessary to Help Ease the Anxiety of Dave and Scotty). You've been there before. You start acting as though the ride is the greatest highlight of your life: "Oh wow! There's Peter Pan! And Wendy!" "Hey, the pirates are firing at us! Let's shoot back! (followed by finger-pointing gestures and pathetic 'kapow' noises)" "Hey, there's Neverland!" "Yay, Peter beat Captain Hook!" "There's the alligator, isn't that funny? (over-the-top-maniacal-laughter)". Basically, we acted like idiots.* It worked, too. No tears, although we did get the hands over the ears again. You know, just in case it was loud.

*(Note: don't leave your camcorder running when in PINHEADS mode. Otherwise, your commentary will be recorded forever, and you will sound like a dork. Your friends will tease you mercilessly for this when watching your home movie later. Not that this has ever happened before.)

That was enough of Fantasyland. On to Tomorrowland. The boys really wanted to try the Tomorrowland Racers. 7 mph of unbridled mild-breeze-in-your-hair speed as you slam repeatedly into a guide rail. Pardon me for my lack of enthusiasm. Anyway, the wait time was listed at 30 minutes, which felt about 30 minutes too long. I asked Sarah if she was ready to try Space Mountain, but she backed away and said maybe Friday (which would be our 2nd day at MK). Allrighty then. How about Buzz Lightyear? Yes! That was acceptable.

The line there was 30 minutes, so we got Fast Passes and then went straight into the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor. None of us had ever seen this show before.

And we loved it! Unfortunately, none of us was chosen to be That Guy, but it got solid approval from every member of the family. From there, we jumped right onto Buzz Lightyear, where I beat everyone out with my high score of 153,000. (Hat tip to carrollchristoph, who told me about the 100,000 point target on the robot's wrist in the first room)

We stumbled onto a few characters. The line to meet Buzz was too long, but Stitch had no one around him, so the kids went right up and met him. Then Scotty spotted them: Chip and Dale.

Somehow, Scotty fell in love with C&D on our cruise last year. It was probably the channel on the TV that played old Disney cartoons incessantly. They've been his favorites ever since. He had gotten Chip and Dale stuffed animals with DCL uniforms on them, and on this trip he was determined to also get "Naked Chip and Dale".

The characters were terrific with the kids. Here, Chip tries on Dave's sunglasses:

My parents had left earlier while we were waiting in the character lines and we'd agreed to meet them in Adventureland. So, we marched straight to the Hub...

...and straight into the roped-off Celebrate Vague Achievements Parade, or whatever it's called. D'oh! Time to head through Fantasyland and see if we could get around it.

"You're going the wrong way!" someone called. How would he know where we're going? I wondered. We got through Liberty Square, heading for the cut-through to Adventureland, but no dice: the parade was heading this way, and was roped off here, too. Double D'oh!

I know, lots of people like the parades. My feeling is (and my kids have caught this from me), parades are there to distract people while I go on more rides with less lines. In any case, we were stuck here, so we watched and the kids had fun waving to the characters.

By this time it was mid-to-late afternoon and hot as blazes outside. Snack time. And by snack time, I mean it was time for a Dole Whip, the Official Snack of the DIS Dads Club ®.

True confession time: In my nearly 36 years of life, I had never had a Dole Whip. (hanging head in shame) After hearing so much praise about them here on the boards, this had to be rectified. I was excited but nervous, hoping they hadn't been over-hyped too much for me to enjoy it. And...

Oh, Sweet Nectar of Life. How have I gone so long without this? Best. Use. Of. A. Snack. Credit. Ever.

Ahem. We met up with my parents and decided there was no way in you-know-what that the boys would go on POTC, so Julie and I took Sarah there while my parents took the boys to the Magic Carpets. Then we hit the Jungle Cruise. Our guide was decent, but pretty much stuck to the script and over-sold the jokes. To be fair, I believe we were the only people who spoke English as a first language on the boat, so it was a tough crowd. My parents said they had ridden it earlier with a guide who got to the cave and announced, "Well, I have no idea where this goes. Here, kid, you steer," and handed the controls to a kid.

We were all pretty beat at this point, nearing the end of the day. On the bright side, we'd hit almost everything in MK in one day. While it had felt crowded (and there was a MNSSHP later that evening), it wasn't so bad that we were stuck in lines. The adults still wanted to do the Haunted Mansion even if the kids didn't, so my parents watched the kids while Julie and I did the ride, and vice versa. One of those famous 10-minute Florida afternoon showers hit while we were in line for the ride. It was weird going in while it was sunny and dry, and walking out and seeing the ground completely wet.

We'll come back with a short update to wrap up our day with dinner and some miscellaneous pictures, but in the meantime, I'll leave you with another Stupid Hat Picture©.

Coming Up Next: Do I really need to spell this out? Liberty Tree Tavern. And we get to try out our new travel tripod! Is that exciting or what?

(cut us some slack, we're from Delaware. Not much happens here)
Old 10-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #178
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara98629 View Post
Seriously the funniest quote and picture ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3sonstt View Post
Heard you had a fun game going over here so thought I would join.

I see you had the same parenting instructors we had - when child is scared to tears - take his picture. Our middle boy was very much against anything dark, loud or "scary". Our youngest was more up for things.....until middle boy would declare it "scary" then youngest would re-think it. It didn't do any of them any good - because for the most part we drug them on it anyway
My middle boy did eventually develop the skill of imbedding his feet into the pavement and not moving unless physically lifted - which wasn't possible a lot of the time due to strollers and camera equipment so he did manage to win a few battles

Well, I've got a game. You'll have to ask everyone else if it's "fun".

My boys just turned out to be more cautious than my daughter. But we did conquer some rides. More to come on this subject!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #179
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Allrighty then.
Ace Ventura

Quote:
. This was only a single-shot rifle, but Dave somehow managed to make it sound like an automatic weapon as he pumped a runaway train full of lead:
Not a verbatim quote from a movie, but definitely brings the black and white film to mind that Kevin uses in Home Alone.

Last edited by afwdwfan; 10-07-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #180
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....

D'oh! -- The Simpsons: The Movie (and just about every TV show too.)

Sweet Nectar of Life -- Crab#2 ...Finding Nemo

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: