Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Nov 2010 -- Even our Stroller has Christmas Lights! New 12/22 Lessons Learned #222

POST TRIP REPORT BEGINS ON PAGE 10

================================================== =========
Welcome to my PTR..We'll be at Disney November 20-24. (pre)Thanksgiving + Disney = a Christmas-y fun trip!

We just came back from WDW in July and had a good trip -- but it was certainly HOT, HOT, HOT and CROWDED!! So this trip will at least eliminate one of those -- if not both!

We bought DVC AP in July b/c we knew we wanted to go back in May 2011. Then I found out that our school district which normally just has 3 days off at Thanksgiving, this year has all 5 days (teacher furlough). So I said to DH, hmmm, it's a shame we can't go back to Disney over Thanksgiving break. We have AP so the tickets are free ... we have the DVC points, so the room is free ... we have Tables in Wonderland card so our TS meals are 20% off ... really, it's not going to cost us that much. Can't we go, please??!!??

Of course I was hoping to stay at Bay Lake Towers (who wouldn't?!) like we did last November, but no such luck. In fact, the only place available was Saratoga Springs Resort. We've never been so off on a new adventure!

Here is a pic of us from July:

This is from our "traditional Disney photo" spot. DH enjoys Disney and is a computer geek. I am a SAHM and am obsessed with Disney. DD5 - Rachel and DD1 - Elizabeth/Elie.

We took the Autotrain from Disney in July in Coach. This was our first time and we really did enjoy it a lot. Even, if we didn't sleep the most comfortably. The coach seats were similar to 1st class on an airplane (or so I've been told since I was never in 1st class!).

Here is where my youngest DD1 slept for part of the time

However, this Nov trip, we were blessed enough to get a Family Room for only $300...normally the rooms are $655 so when I told DH, he said, "book a room this time". So, we are definitely curious how much nicer the family rooms will be. Personally, I think they are super small and that we actually get better room in the Coach section ... however, they will be really nice at night to actually sleep laying down. There are two "adult" bunk beds, one lower and one upper and two "child" bunk beds which are smaller, one lower and one upper. Now, who all gets the top bunks on a moving train? And will we fall out!?!

Last edited by Marshay; 12-21-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Post Trip Report
----------------
First Day Driving - Page 10, #140
Osbourne Lights - Page 10, #143
Even Disney Doesn't Control the Weather ... Yet & I'm the Best Mommy Ever, right? - Page 11, #165 - 167
It's Not Morning Yet - Page 12, #171
DIS Meet - Page 13, #181-182
Worst. Bed. Ever!!! - Page 14, #203
Final Thoughts and Lessons Learned - Page 15, #222

PTR Table of Contents
-------------------------
Introduction - Page 1
Splash Mountain Day - Page 2, Posts #20-22
Parade & Fireworks Day - Page 3, Posts #36-37
Autograph Book, Page 5, Post #67
Mickey's Not So Scary, Ok It's a Little Spooky Halloween, Page 6, Post #84
New Goals and Turkey Mickeys! Page 7, #93-98

Last edited by Marshay; 12-21-2010 at 11:13 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
Marshay

So, the plan is

Nov 19 - Kindergarten ends at 2:30pm so we hope to be on the road by 3pm. Drive a few hours, get dinner and then drive until 11pm. I still need to figure out where this will get us.

Nov 20 - Drive the rest of the way to WDW. Stop by Wal-Mart for a few groceries (breakfast and snacks). Then check-into SSR. It'll probably be about 6pm, so we'll just hang around the resort or go swimming if it's warm at all.

Nov 21 - 23 - We'll try to stick to just MK and HS. I have some ADRs for Kona, Turf Club (new) and Liberty Tree Tavern (new). I figure we got to get a Thanksgiving meal there, even if it is 3 days early! My main goals are to see Osborne Lights and the Castle in all it's glory (see siggie!).

Nov 24 - Check-out and go to Autotrain

Nov 25 - Happy Thanksgiving!! Arrive home in time to do Black Friday Xmas shopping the next day!

Last edited by Marshay; 08-02-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

I'm here!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I'm here!!!
Welcome!! You're the first!!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
Welcome!! You're the first!!
I cannot believe I was here ahead of Kelly. She is usually first.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
Marshay

So in order to get ready for our next Disney trip, I'm borrowing an idea from another Disser and doing "Disney Days or Nights". We'll each pick a day and try to come up with ideas and meals for that theme.

Rachel already picked her day -- "Splash Mountain Day". So hers will come first in August.

Last year we got a water slide mat for like $0.99 at Walgreens...one of those that's like 20 feet and has water that comes up on one side. We'll take plastic boats and have them go down the mat (along with us). We have 2 smaller sliding boards in our yard (Elie's) and one large one, so the large one becomes the "laughing place" hole -- Rachel suggest that we make a sign for it.

Then I need to see if our Library has a copy of Song of the South. I've actually never seen this movie and know nothing about it except that Splash Mountain is loosely based on it and it's both live action and animation. We can play Laughing Place and Zippety Do Dah on the CD.

I'm thinking I can make a chow mein snack look like a Briar Patch and add a Gummy Bunny and Gummy Bear (not sure about the fox).

We made these chow mein bird nests for Easter but I think they can easily be made into a Briar Patch

DD5 (Rachel) is going to make Fast Pass Tickets so we can go on the ride and of course we have to take a picture at the top of the big drop!

Last edited by Marshay; 08-02-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
Marshay

So for dinner tonight Rachel and I came up with our 4 Special Disney Days

Splash Mountain Day - Aug
Parade and Fireworks Night - Sept
It's a Small World Day - Oct
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party Decorating - Nov

We brainstormed ideas for each special day and are pretty excited about these. Rachel was really proud to come up with her own ideas!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
swwake
RIP our sweet Magic (09/27/10)

I'm in Marsha! Oh it's great that IASW will be back open (I assume) when you go! We are gonna miss it

Visit my travel blog: Oh, the Places We'll Go!
December 2011 PTR September 2010 Trip Report Oasis of the Seas Cruise TR Las Vegas TR
1974, 1983, 1987, 1989 off property * 1988 DL * 1989 Premiere Cruise & Disney * 1997 ASMu * 1998 CBR * 2000 DL * 2008 BC * 2010 AKL CL * 2011 Poly CL * 2013 CBR
Old 08-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by swwake View Post
I'm in Marsha! Oh it's great that IASW will be back open (I assume) when you go! We are gonna miss it
It should be! I haven't read what they are planning to do to it though.

I'm just excited that we get to see MSEP again!! We saw most of it one night and only part of it another night...this trip I want to stay and watch the entire parade!
Old 08-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

I am here

Would have been here sooner but my computer got a darn virus

Steve worked on it all night and now I am good to go and back to Dising

We stayed at Saratoga when we got moved because of our "incident" at Pop and loved it. Wish we could have stayed longer'

Sounds like a great plan. The castle lights are gorgeous and Osborne light are amazing

Love your Disney Days

Sounds like Rachel did a great job helping you plan

I like your family photo too. Your hair looks great

Girls are adorable of course

Last edited by Trentmom; 08-03-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: mucho errors
Old 08-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

All right I'm in

Love the family photo...I will have to pre-introduce my family to your's through that...

My Rachel and Naomi-Ruth have the same Cindy doll

you all look so great...I love the matchy pink skirts for the girls.

that is too cute, the pic of Eli sleeping on the floor of the train...hoping the bunk family room works good for you guys...I have a feeling you and Rachel will be on the top

can't wait to see how all our plans mesh/match up together...that would have been just too cool if we were both at BLT...and I know we both pack a bit Disney crazy

I too can not wait to see the castle...lots and lots of times !!!

love the 4 family nights and how Rachel is helping w/ all the fun too...can't wait to see your Splash Mountain....

not sure if you can actually rent or borrow from the library the movie...but maybe you find a clip or something online or watch the ride sequence on youtube

J~
Old 08-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousescrapper View Post
All right I'm in

Love the family photo...I will have to pre-introduce my family to your's through that...

My Rachel and Naomi-Ruth have the same Cindy doll

you all look so great...I love the matchy pink skirts for the girls.

that is too cute, the pic of Eli sleeping on the floor of the train...hoping the bunk family room works good for you guys...I have a feeling you and Rachel will be on the top

can't wait to see how all our plans mesh/match up together...that would have been just too cool if we were both at BLT...and I know we both pack a bit Disney crazy

I too can not wait to see the castle...lots and lots of times !!!

love the 4 family nights and how Rachel is helping w/ all the fun too...can't wait to see your Splash Mountain....

not sure if you can actually rent or borrow from the library the movie...but maybe you find a clip or something online or watch the ride sequence on youtube

J~
Rachel also got the Tinkerbell doll for her birthday. She decided that she wanted to write her name on them, (just like Andy from Toy Story)...so now we have marker and ink all over both dolls. ICK -- it looks horrible. I tried to get off with rubbing alcohol, a baby wipe, nail polish remover ... no luck...any ideas?

Yeah, I think Rachel and I will be on the top bunks...we are thinking of bringing some kind of ropes/ties to help hold us in. Maybe it's not a big deal...the beds are just so small...you roll over and you'll be on the floor!

Good idea about watching on You Tube. I"ll add that to our schedule!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #14
Marshay

Just a small update. I've been researching and researching hotels to stay at on the way down to WDW. Remember we'll only get in around 11pm and be leaving around 9am.

Most folks on the Driving thread seem to stay at the nicer (i.e., more expensive hotels) like the Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn. but those are over $100 and I just can't see spending that for 10 hours.

So I'm looking at all the Econolodges, Super 8, Motel 6's, HoJos and Quality Inns and on paper they look decent enough ... about $65 - 75 with tax for 4 people.

Then I went to Tripadvisor and some other sites to see what folks REALLY think about them -- I read words like:

- bed bugs
- roaches and little roach babies
- "Gentlemen's" club next door with "ladies' rooms" at the hotel
- "protective sheaths" in sheets
- horrible beds
- cardboard towels
- barely edible breakfast

And I turned tail quickly and upped our price.

However, I found a Best Western in Santee, SC that has gotten consistently good reviews with Queen Size beds and a good breakfast for only $84 including tax.

I quickly seized a room.

So we will have to travel a bit further than I wanted to, but at least we'll have a good room and breakfast in the morning ... which also means we get to Disney sooner!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #15
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentmom View Post
I am here

Would have been here sooner but my computer got a darn virus

Steve worked on it all night and now I am good to go and back to Dising

We stayed at Saratoga when we got moved because of our "incident" at Pop and loved it. Wish we could have stayed longer'

Sounds like a great plan. The castle lights are gorgeous and Osborne light are amazing

Love your Disney Days

Sounds like Rachel did a great job helping you plan

I like your family photo too. Your hair looks great

Girls are adorable of course

I just realized I never responded to you -- sorry!!!

Glad to hear DH fixed your computer.

That's right, you stayed at SSR and loved it! I'm just concerned about my perceived "lack of theming" at SSR. It just looks like a resort that could be anywhere ... not a Disney resort. Maybe I'll think differently once we get there.

However, I did just call today to see if any other place opened up. OKW has 3 nights available ...alas we need 4.

Splash Mountain day is this Saturday -- Rachel has already made the signs and Fastpasses for us!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: