Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
mickeylove2
DIS Veteran

Johns Hopkins University CTY Talent Search

Has anyone's child ever taken the tests? Do you have any real life info on the program? Just curious, trying to decide whether or not to enroll my DD. The cost is $92 so it's not bad, but I just want to know what the real benefits are. TIA
mickeylove2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
sandramaac
Needs to look harder...
wonder what the punishment would be for excessive burping

My oldest dd was a part of the Johns Hopkins program. How has she been indentified, by a standardized test. Back when my dd too took it, the next step was to take the SAT's, and then based upon those score I believe you could qualify for 2 levels of the programmed one for super, unbelievably gifted and one for extreme gifted. My dd did the first, and was able to attend a program at Stanford one summer for math theoy, and Brown the next summer for economics. Really a well done program!!
sandramaac is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Kae
DIS Veteran

My son does something similar thru North Western. We use it as a tool to help him for when he has to take the SAT &/or ACT. But he doesn't mind taking tests-thank goodness.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
mickeylove2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandramaac View Post
My oldest dd was a part of the Johns Hopkins program. How has she been indentified, by a standardized test. Back when my dd too took it, the next step was to take the SAT's, and then based upon those score I believe you could qualify for 2 levels of the programmed one for super, unbelievably gifted and one for extreme gifted. My dd did the first, and was able to attend a program at Stanford one summer for math theoy, and Brown the next summer for economics. Really a well done program!!
She scored above 95% on the state test at the end of last year. She's only in 4th grade so SAT's are pretty far away lol!

That's awesome about the programs your DD was able to be a part of. What did she think of them? Is it something that she enjoyed?
mickeylove2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
mrsxsparrow
DIS Veteran

My brother got into it based on standardized tests and a recommendation from his school. He was able to attend an economics class at San Diego State University, which he really enjoyed. I think there were a few other things he did but I'm not sure.

I think it was really good for him personally because he says he's "bored" in school and the classes/seminars through the John Hopkins program challenged him once in a while.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
allison443
DIS Veteran

My dds were in the Johns Hopkins CTY program. At the younger ages they took a test called the PLUS test and then in 7th and 8th grades they took the SAT. Based on their scores they qualified for summer programs, which one attended for the summers following 5th through 8th grade. The other only went one summer. These were three week programs focusing on one subject area. They were residential programs held at various college campuses throughout the country. Excellent programs and my dds enjoyed them very much.
We also felt just the test taking experience was very worthwhile.
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
SideshowBob
Oil Can aficionado
Screams like a little girl
Doesn't like things that go "bump" in the night
Is a SUPERSTAR!HOT as Heckuba here right now

Duke TIP

My DD did this through Duke, taking the SAT in the 6th or 7th grade. She was in top 5% in results and attended the summer program. I thought a good experience overall, though a bit pricey.

"The Enemy's Gate is Down!"
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

DD14 was/is a part of it. She got in based on her standarized test scores. She took the SAT in 7th grade. There are alot of programs she was eligible for, but for various reasons she didn't participate.
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
padams
Hey, I've never posted on a locked thread before
I am always Cindy Lou Hoo
We've had them howling under our bedroom

DS 14 is currrently taking an online mathematics class through JHU-CTY for enrichment. He has taken a couple of weekend courses through Duke Tip. He enjoyed them. He started doing this stuff in junior high so I am not sure what is offered at the 4th grade level.
padams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
Aristomommy
We were in the “wild animals” cage, which was very fitting for us

DD11 has taken the Explore test since 4th grade. The advantages to the program was that her school noticed her areas of strength based on the test score and moved her ahead in math and language arts. She also qualified for enrichment programs that are expensive, but she has enjoyed classes like creative writing and rocks/minerals. She will take the SAT this year and hopes to qualify for a 3 week summer program. Standardized testing is aimed at present grade level. The talent search tests 2+ years ahead to see how far advanced the student is. If you find this useful for you, the test is not expensive and takes a few hours to complete.

Always Planning My Next Disney Trip

Aristomommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
Breezy_Carol
Who needs doors when you can use windows
Bugged by ticks
I had a dog that ate wood screws once

Both of my kids were identified and took the SATs when they didn't matter. To me this was the best part so that when the SATs counted, they weren't as scary. The Johns Hopkins classes were too expensive for my kids to take.

Breezy_Carol is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: