Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
Tammy296
DIS Veteran

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party worth the price of the xtra ticket? MVMCP or IFW?

We're going 11/12 - 11/16. The day we arrive (about noon) is the day of the MVMCP... is it really worth the price of the extra ticket for 3 of the 4 of us?

I really think the kids would enjoy it... my BF however thinks it should have been included in the regular price of entrance. Since I've never gone to one of these parties before I really don't know what to expect.

Since it's falling on the day we arrive and will only have a half day to enjoy should we go and spend the extra $ (if you are a disney cast member please do not reply to this!) or should we choose EPCOT for the International Wine and Food Festival instead?

We're having a hard time choosing. I know we will see the IFW no matter what but the MVMCP is certainly still up in the air...

So I'm curious... What are the dance parties like? Where do they serve cocoa and cookies? What other special things to look for?
Tammy296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

I'm not quite sure why you ask CMs to not respond. I will anyway.

MVMCP has entertainment, characters, activities and special parade & fireworks that cannot be seen during the regular MK day. The park is less crowded (because they cap the number of attendees so that the park is never "full") and all the rides are open. So you can go on lots of rides in less time, plus see the Christmas Parade, Holiday Wishes, snow on Main Street, and several special shows. Plus there are characters out that aren't seen as often in the parks, and most of the characters are in special holiday wear. So it is a significantly different thing that just a regular day at MK (which is why it costs extra).

As for whether it's worth it or not ... that really depends on you and your family. If you love Christmas and really want to immerse yourself in all that is the holidays, then yes ... it's worth it. It is a totally family thing to do, with little touches like hot chocolate and Christmas cookies, plus special merch and pins and such. It can really be a huge "Christmas Spirit" thing! Plus, with your MVMCP party ticket, you can get into MK as early as 4pm (party starts at 7pm). So you could spend the afternoon and evening in MK without having to use a day of your tickets (since your first day is really only a half-day anyway).

Now ... if you like Christmas, but don't necessarily need all the carols, snow, holiday everything or think that you might get a little Christmassed out ... then it might not be. Some people can't really "do" Christmas until after Thanksgiving. If you're one of those, then F&W would be a better option. However, F&W is really more for older kids and grown-ups than it is of interest to younger kids. You don't say how old your kids are, but if they're littler, then they may find nothing of interest to them as you wander around eating and drinking. There are a lot of kids things to do at Epcot, but F&W doesn't really cater to little kids except for a couple of playground areas.

So it really depends on if you want to do a big "family thing" that first night, or if you want a nice leisurely stroll while eating and drinking your way around World Showcase.

Both activities are "worth it" ... but you're the only one who can decide if the Christmas Party's extra cost is worth it to YOU.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

I've never been to the party, but I bought tickets for our trip in December. I LOVE Christmas and it sounds wonderful. I can't see anything about it not being worth the cost. The way I look at it, I get an extra 7 or 8 hours in MK with lower crowds.....I think your kids will love it.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayšoš
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
csjordan
Yearning for the Ears

I bought tickets for the Christmas Party in 2008 for the week after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, our experience was not a good one. First, let me say that it was really not Disney's fault that we didn't enjoy the party. We were in MK for a normal day in the park the day of the party. Around mid-day, a monsoon started...wind howling, rain so hard it was blowing side-ways... We went back to the hotel around 2 pm and prayed that the rain would stop. Sadly, it was pretty set in. By around 5, I was almost in tears. Then, the rain slowed. We ran out the door and arrived at MK around 6:30 pm. It was CROWDED. I was a little surprised at the number of people there. Then...the rain started AGAIN. Pretty much all of the shows were cancelled due to the weather. We did manage to see the parade and the fireworks, but virtually nothing else. It was such a bad experience, we didn't bother going last year. HOWEVER, we are planning a 2011 trip in May, but are thinking about moving the trip to November to try the party again...I LOVE CHRISTMAS TIME AT DISNEY!

csjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
Tammy296
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
I'm not quite sure why you ask CMs to not respond. I will anyway.

MVMCP has entertainment, characters, activities and special parade & fireworks that cannot be seen during the regular MK day. The park is less crowded (because they cap the number of attendees so that the park is never "full") and all the rides are open. So you can go on lots of rides in less time, plus see the Christmas Parade, Holiday Wishes, snow on Main Street, and several special shows. Plus there are characters out that aren't seen as often in the parks, and most of the characters are in special holiday wear. So it is a significantly different thing that just a regular day at MK (which is why it costs extra).

As for whether it's worth it or not ... that really depends on you and your family. If you love Christmas and really want to immerse yourself in all that is the holidays, then yes ... it's worth it. It is a totally family thing to do, with little touches like hot chocolate and Christmas cookies, plus special merch and pins and such. It can really be a huge "Christmas Spirit" thing! Plus, with your MVMCP party ticket, you can get into MK as early as 4pm (party starts at 7pm). So you could spend the afternoon and evening in MK without having to use a day of your tickets (since your first day is really only a half-day anyway).

Now ... if you like Christmas, but don't necessarily need all the carols, snow, holiday everything or think that you might get a little Christmassed out ... then it might not be. Some people can't really "do" Christmas until after Thanksgiving. If you're one of those, then F&W would be a better option. However, F&W is really more for older kids and grown-ups than it is of interest to younger kids. You don't say how old your kids are, but if they're littler, then they may find nothing of interest to them as you wander around eating and drinking. There are a lot of kids things to do at Epcot, but F&W doesn't really cater to little kids except for a couple of playground areas.

So it really depends on if you want to do a big "family thing" that first night, or if you want a nice leisurely stroll while eating and drinking your way around World Showcase.

Both activities are "worth it" ... but you're the only one who can decide if the Christmas Party's extra cost is worth it to YOU.

Thanks for this post!! If you are a CM then a special thank you! The only reason why I asked for CM's not to respond is because I figure CM's will just try to convince anyone to go anyway because of the money involved but what I was really looking for were to hear from people who'd gone before... but that's ok too!!

Your responses were perfect as far as I'm concerned. I didn't know you could enter without using a day of our tickets! So that means we could hop (go to 2 parks in 1 day) since we have a base ticket everyday we are there and if we buy tix to go to MVMCP???? If so that is a PLUS!

I actually love Xmas... and am always looking for neat ways to get into the spirit. I just wanted the GOODS on what makes this party special from all the regular entertainment. I think I got it now... and I'm sold. I have 2 girls one is 2 and one is 12. I think my daughters would this party.... they love MK.

Are the fireworks really very different?

What are the dancing parties like? DO the kids get to dance with the characters? Are there people singing christmas carols on Main St?

My BF is not sold on the idea of this MVMCP.... I tell him I really want to take the kids. He thinks its ridiculous that disney is making people pay on top of their regular tickets to get in to this party. Your info I think has helped me!!!! (to convince him and I think he'll be glad when I get the tickets behind his back anyway)
Old 09-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
dqpowell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
The park is less crowded (because they cap the number of attendees so that the park is never "full") and all the rides are open.
Just a comment about that. On many days, particularly during low/moderate crowd seasons, MK is more crowded during the parties than during the day prior to the party. Of course it depends on the particular day, but it's happening more often than not lately.

David
dqpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
Tammy296
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqpowell View Post
Just a comment about that. On many days, particularly during low/moderate crowd seasons, MK is more crowded during the parties than during the day prior to the party. Of course it depends on the particular day, but it's happening more often than not lately.

David
hmmm now see... this is some valuable info... : so what to do???

I wonder if you can get your tickets for this party on the day we arrive at our resort or at the MK main gate instead of now? Would we still be able to get the discount tixs on that day? I realize I run the chance of it being sold out on that day...

Hmm all responses is yielding good info!
Old 09-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
Cherinva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy296 View Post

My BF is not sold on the idea of this MVMCP.... I tell him I really want to take the kids. He thinks its ridiculous that disney is making people pay on top of their regular tickets to get in to this party. Your info I think has helped me!!!! (to convince him and I think he'll be glad when I get the tickets behind his back anyway)
You go girl...he will love it to....have a wonderful time.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
Cherinva

Quote:
hmmm now see... this is some valuable info... : so what to do???

I wonder if you can get your tickets for this party on the day we arrive at our resort or at the MK main gate instead of now? Would we still be able to get the discount tixs on that day? I realize I run the chance of it being sold out on that day...

Hmm all responses is yielding good info!
I've heard it's best to buy the tickets in advance, since they do limit the number of tickets sold, and if you wait to the day you want to go, you run the risk that they are sold out.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I didn't know you could enter without using a day of our tickets! So that means we could hop (go to 2 parks in 1 day) since we have a base ticket everyday we are there and if we buy tix to go to MVMCP???? If so that is a PLUS!
Yes ... that is correct. You can use your base ticket to visit Epcot or DHS or DAK that day, and then use your MVMCP ticket to get into MK as early as 4pm.

Quote:
They are. It is a specially-written, scored and performed fireworks show, specifically to celebrate the holidays.

Quote:
What are the dancing parties like? DO the kids get to dance with the characters? Are there people singing christmas carols on Main St?
The dance parties include a DJ spinning tunes, several "party hosts" who keep things lively, and also characters, who move throughout the crowd dancing with kids. Various groups perform on Main Street -- some of them are carolers. There's a lot of music throughout the park.

Quote:
I think maybe if your BF understands that the MK he'll see during the party is very different than the "daytime MK" he sees, perhaps he'll understand the extra ticket. It's really one of those things that he'll understand more about once he sees it. He may still not think it's worth it -- lots of people don't. But at least he'll see the differences.

As for the crowds being bigger on party night than on a normal day at MK, that hardly ever happens. And it pretty much never happens for the parties in November. The parties at the time you're going are less-attended and will be far less crowded than the ones that happen in December.

Enjoy!

Old 09-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #11
tpettie
What"s a tag and why do you want one?

I'm wondering how much enjoyment a couple with no children will find this event. Also the only day we have availlable to see it is a friday I'm concerned about crowds... Dec 3.

All Stars Movies December 2008 (First Trip)
All Stars Movies December 2009 (Return with more kids)
POR Nov 28 - Dec 05 2010 (Adult Only Trip)
ASMusic Sept 29 - Oct6 2011 (let go trip)
Sequel Trip AofA Resort Nov/Dec 2012
POP Sept 7-12 with Disney Dream 3 Night Cruise Sept 12-15
tpettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for this post!! If you are a CM then a special thank you! The only reason why I asked for CM's not to respond is because I figure CM's will just try to convince anyone to go anyway because of the money involved but what I was really looking for were to hear from people who'd gone before... but that's ok too!!

Your responses were perfect as far as I'm concerned. I didn't know you could enter without using a day of our tickets! So that means we could hop (go to 2 parks in 1 day) since we have a base ticket everyday we are there and if we buy tix to go to MVMCP???? If so that is a PLUS!

I actually love Xmas... and am always looking for neat ways to get into the spirit. I just wanted the GOODS on what makes this party special from all the regular entertainment. I think I got it now... and I'm sold. I have 2 girls one is 2 and one is 12. I think my daughters would this party.... they love MK.

Just so you know the 2 yr. old doesn't need a ticket. I thought I read in your fist post something about getting 3 tickets. It would only be 2 if your bf isn't going. Also, if you wait until the day of the cost is higher than buying beforehand.
1984 Main Gate, 1985 Poly, 1986 DL xcountry trip
1987 Main Gate, 1989 DL xcountry trip, 1991 CBR
1992 POFQ, 1993 CBR, 1995 ASMu Magic Music Days
2000 CBR, 2001 CBR 2002 CBR, 2003 May CSR
2003 Aug WL, 2007 ASSp FD, 2008 May ASMu
2008 Sept/Oct ASMu FD w/DV
2009 May ASMu $500 (2)free gift card!
2010 Feb WL, 2010 Nov/Dec CBR,
2012 ASMu Family Suite, 2013 Caribe Royale
These are only the Disney trips!
disneyfan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #13
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpettie View Post
I'm wondering how much enjoyment a couple with no children will find this event. Also the only day we have availlable to see it is a friday I'm concerned about crowds... Dec 3.
Depends on how much you enjoy Christmas. There are many MANY party-goers who don't have kids with them, or who have older kids (teens) with them. Just like "regular" WDW, the parties are designed to appeal to all ages.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Your responses were perfect as far as I'm concerned. I didn't know you could enter without using a day of our tickets! So that means we could hop (go to 2 parks in 1 day) since we have a base ticket everyday we are there and if we buy tix to go to MVMCP???? If so that is a PLUS! I actually love Xmas... and am always looking for neat ways to get into the spirit. I just wanted the GOODS on what makes this party special from all the regular entertainment. I think I got it now... and I'm sold. I have 2 girls one is 2 and one is 12. I think my daughters would this party.... they love MK.

Just a quick clarification...you won't be able to use two different park passes on the same day. The only way to 'hop' is to have park hopper passes. You can not use two single day passes at two different parks on the same day.

I've been to MVMCP every year for the past 7 years. I'm going this Dec...but it will most likely be my last for awhile. It is a ton of fun, the parade is wonderful, the fireworks are great, the hot cocoa and cookies are welcome treats especially when it's chilly out, the snow on Main St is something to behold. It just seems that Disney has been taking something away almost every year, while raising the price of the tickets.
I think everyone should go at least once. It's a fun way to start your holiday.
My suggestion would be to go on a day that you are in a different park, for EMHs. You can head over there, stay until midday (around 2ish) head back to your resort and freshen up and rest a bit, then head to MK at some point after 4pm. If there is a party that is close to the end of your stay, that might be a nice way to end your trip.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #15
ChrisLMW
Earning My Ears

I'm a bit confused. We have a hopper pass. On the day we have tickets for the Xmas Party we can arrive at 4pm and enter with our Party ticket. We do not have to use one day of our hopper pass. Is that correct? We are going on Thurs Dec9th, is that going to be one of the less busy nights?
ChrisLMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: