Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
tracyz
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vermont
Posts: 332

Question Christmas in Italy?

We're considering traveling to Italy over Christmas 2011 with ABD. Can anyone here give me any insight into what might be different/special on that trip, or how, if at all, they incorporate the holiday into the trip?
__________________
~Tracy
tracyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 721

I can't speak for the Italy trip, but we have done two ABD trips over Christmas (Knights and Lights and Germany). Both were great and we were glad we did them--they work very hard to fill in the holiday days (in Paris, we spent the day at Disneyland Paris and had VIP tours, great dinner at Walt's on Main Street etc; in Germany we went to the opening day of a famous German circus in Munich, and had a very nice Christmas dinner all decked out with holiday decorations, and a voluntary gift exchange). The tougher part was sneaking presents in luggage for the kids to open up Christmas morning!
WeLoveABD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-29-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
LostNWonderLamb
Earning My Ears
 
LostNWonderLamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fullerton, Ca
Posts: 18

what a great idea! How is the weather over there during Christmas?
LostNWonderLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
mimmi
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austria
Posts: 1,039

I don't know about those trips but I spent a few mpotnhs in Italy, live in a neighbouring country and have an italian sister in law.
I personally think that there are many countries that are much more interesting during christmas. You certainly know that there is a huge difference between the north and the south therefore it's hard to predict the weather (there are huge mountains and snow in the north but you may have nice temperatures in Sicily) and the atmosphere. Surely the nothern part would be more atmospheric during christmas except for Rome where you can go to St.Peters for christmas mass.
Concerning lights and christmas markets: you definitely can't compare Italy to France, Austria or Germany you get more christmas feeling in those countries, especially Nuremberg, Paris, Vienna or Salzburg.
Italy is rather simple in christmas matters, until recently children haven't gotten big presents, sometimes only sweets and there aren't many towns with lights etc. probably because of the church.
The appealing part is that it's much less commercial, but somehow I think the atmosphere is lacking. I love Italy but I never go there during christmas time.
Of course the itinerary would be interesting...
__________________
mimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Danibelle
DIS Veteran
 
Danibelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmi View Post
I don't know about those trips but I spent a few mpotnhs in Italy, live in a neighbouring country and have an italian sister in law.
I personally think that there are many countries that are much more interesting during christmas. You certainly know that there is a huge difference between the north and the south therefore it's hard to predict the weather (there are huge mountains and snow in the north but you may have nice temperatures in Sicily) and the atmosphere. Surely the nothern part would be more atmospheric during christmas except for Rome where you can go to St.Peters for christmas mass.
Concerning lights and christmas markets: you definitely can't compare Italy to France, Austria or Germany you get more christmas feeling in those countries, especially Nuremberg, Paris, Vienna or Salzburg.
Italy is rather simple in christmas matters, until recently children haven't gotten big presents, sometimes only sweets and there aren't many towns with lights etc. probably because of the church.
The appealing part is that it's much less commercial, but somehow I think the atmosphere is lacking. I love Italy but I never go there during christmas time.
Of course the itinerary would be interesting...
I agree with mimmi. I was fortunate to live in Vicenza, Italy for three years. The weather in northern Italy is pretty unpredictable at that tiime; winter clothes with coat, scarf, etc. are a must. The main "atmosphere" I found was the nativity scene (creche) display in some of the churches and a larger creche display at L'Arena in Verona. My favorite markets for Christmas were in Nuremberg and Munich. I believe Nuremberg Christkindl Markt is the original one.
__________________


Danibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
tracyz
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vermont
Posts: 332

Thanks so much for the input! I called ABD and talked with a reservation agent, and she also suggested that if it is our first time in Italy we go during the summer. I love the idea of a Christmas vacation, but perhaps we'll do our Italy trip during the summer and save the Christmas trip for another place, another year.
__________________
~Tracy
tracyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
Danibelle
DIS Veteran
 
Danibelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostNWonderLamb View Post
what a great idea! How is the weather over there during Christmas?
It can be very cold and damp. I would pack lots of layers if you are planning to visit Europe in the winter.

I just realized that I had already responded.
__________________



Last edited by Danibelle; 05-30-2011 at 07:16 AM. Reason: added a sentence
Danibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
At World's End
DIS Veteran
 
At World's End's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 511

Our first trip to Italy was over Christmas. Yes, it was very cold. wE wore heavy coats the whole time, but still had a blast. The main downside is that alot of sights have shorter hours at this time, and many of the gelato stands are closed (although we managed to eat gelato every day, twice a day if we could!)

I would not ever go in the summer though. Summer is way too hot and crowded. If you could do the trip in the "shoulder" season I thing you would enjoy it much more. April-early June or Sept/Oct would be ideal.
__________________
Me DH DS (9) DS (6)
January 2010 - Legacy Park in Davenport: 10 first timers / January 2011 - Crestwynd Bay - just the four of us / January 2013 - TBD 8 of us this time!

At World's End is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,491
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by At World's End View Post
Our first trip to Italy was over Christmas. Yes, it was very cold. wE wore heavy coats the whole time, but still had a blast. The main downside is that alot of sights have shorter hours at this time, and many of the gelato stands are closed (although we managed to eat gelato every day, twice a day if we could!)

I would not ever go in the summer though. Summer is way too hot and crowded. If you could do the trip in the "shoulder" season I thing you would enjoy it much more. April-early June or Sept/Oct would be ideal.
I agree with this. I went to Italy in late May, and the weather was gorgeous (except for some wind in the Amalfi area). I can't imagine doing all that walking in the scorching heat!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.