Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #31
poeticdiabetic
DIS Veteran

I'm subbing.

My youngest remembers the "boy with his DS." He went to Out-and-About, correct?

Your pics are nice and it's kinda fun to see other people's experiences during the same trip.
poeticdiabetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #32
15isto2
DIS Veteran

Great report so far

15isto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #33
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Hi! I just wanted to say thanks for the wonderfully detailed report! We are planning our first cruise for next August and I'm trying to soak up as much info as I can.

The rocky seas you experienced on your first night are my biggest fear! I have a tendency to get motion sickness and I'm terrified something like that will happen and I'll be down for the count for the entire cruise!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #34
verygfy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeticdiabetic View Post
I'm subbing.

My youngest remembers the "boy with his DS." He went to Out-and-About, correct?

Your pics are nice and it's kinda fun to see other people's experiences during the same trip.
I have enjoyed reading about everyone else's trips as well. It is so neat that all of us were only a few feet from each other the whole trip, yet had different experiences. I am not sure if DS ever had his DS with him in the clubs. I don't think it ever left the cabin, but I am not positive on that. I know he had such a good time he never asked for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15isto2 View Post
Great report so far
Thank you for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Hi! I just wanted to say thanks for the wonderfully detailed report! We are planning our first cruise for next August and I'm trying to soak up as much info as I can.

The rocky seas you experienced on your first night are my biggest fear! I have a tendency to get motion sickness and I'm terrified something like that will happen and I'll be down for the count for the entire cruise!
DH had only been a boat once and got terribly sick so I asked my cousin who is in the Coast Gaurd and a friend of mine who does patrol in Key West and they both highly recommended Bonine. It is a tiny pill that you chew once a day and is non drowsy, we took it at lunch at Parrot Cay and not one of us had an issue the first night and we were thrilled. The seas were very rocky that night, no doubt about that, but the Bonine really helped. When I was talking with people the next day many said they had taken Dramamine after the ship was rocking and it didn't work. One lady told me that her cabin steward brought her some green apples and she was amazed as to how much better they made her feel. I recommend the Bonine for anyone that is worried about getting sick that first night. Our's was extreme, but I understand the waters are always rocky leaving the Florida channel.
verygfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #35
verygfy
DIS Veteran

Day 4: Castaway Cay

Ahoy Mateyís and welcome to Castaway Cay!

The most beautiful, serene beach you have ever seen!! It was an absolutely spectacular day on the only day I planned for an early morning. The night before we hung the sign on the door for room service to deliver breakfast between 7:30 and 8:00am, I had ordered donuts, bagels, coffee, orange juice, milk, and a fruit bowl. Promptly at 8:00am room service arrived with our bountiful tray of food (room service always seemed to come later versus sooner, but hey itís free room service how cool is that)! I tipped the guy and off he went. Today was a continental breakfast day with beach and hammock ahead. The plan was that I would head out first and DH and the kids would follow me. The walkie talkies really came in handy in this week.

You know the one great thing about a beach day, besides a quick shower you donít need to do much else when it comes to getting ready. So I was able to have a cup of coffee, quick shower and was down at the gangway at 8:30am. I am really glad I was to, the 1st floor filled up pretty quickly and people were quickly finding the line on its way up to the second floor. They allowed us off the boat around 8:40 and away I went to find a spot and a hammock. I found a great spot between pelican plunge and Cookies BBQ.

DH and the kids followed not to long after I arrived and got all of our stuff settled in. Now here comes another nice part to being on vacation and on an island, itís the only place in the world where you can have a Konk Cooler at 9:45am and no one will say a word!! Normally at 9:45am I am on my fourth cup of coffee, not today. Today I was in a chair, in the ocean, sipping on my Konk Cooler and happy as a clam. We spent most of the morning just floating around, playing ball, building sandcastles and just enjoying the beauty of the island. The water was so crystal clear and was quite comfortable.

DS headed over to Pelican Plunge but after the first time down he said it plunged him into the sea and he didnít like it. He thought it was a little too rough for him. We tried to coax him back over for awhile but he was standing his ground.

Around 11 the kids were tired of swimming and wanted to attend some of the activities with their clubs. DS went on a scavenger hunt in search of Atlantis and DD was going on a whale dig. I dropped DS first as we headed down to Scuttleís Cove for DS we had to stop by and say hi to Minnie and Goofy.

Tip: ALWAYS HAVE YOUR CAMERA

I was so disappointed that I didnít have my camera, but DD was thrilled to see Minnie in her bathing suit.

I have to say when I dropped DD off at Scuttleís Cove that place was amazing. It had a splash zone, a huge sand area and was quite substantial in size. While the kids were in the clubs DH and I decided to take a bike ride around the island. The trail was pretty good size and we had a blast riding around.

After our adventure on the island we headed to check in on the kids. DD was eating lunch with her club and DS wasnít done with his scavenger hunt so DH and I headed over to Cookies to get a bite to eat. The food at Cookies was so good. DH raved about the ribs and I agreed. The Mahi was very good as well.

After we finished devouring our lunch we grabbed DS from his club and then went to get DD from her club. She was having a great time in the sand with the counselors.

Tip: If the kids are with their club eating lunch pick them up from the gazebo. The walk back to Scuttles from Cookies is quite a hike.

We made a quick stop off at Cookies from some Chocolate Chip ice cream and a 2 for 1 Konk Cooler special at Conched Out before we went back to our spot to start packing up. We lingered for quite a while at our chairs and luckily no one was around the hammocks so we laid for a few more minutes and then back to the ship we went.

Before we got back on the ship we stopped off at the Post Office to mail out some postcards, FYI the post office is open until 4pm so you can mail out the postcards after your day on the beach. Getting back on the boat was just a quick scan of the card.

DD and I went to the Mickey pool for a bit while DH took a nap and DS went off to his club. The Mickey pool was empty and was really nice. A few parting shots of Castaway Cay.

Up Next: We have lost Mickey, and Pirate Night...
Old 10-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #36
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

What an amazing day on Castaway Cay! I'm having wonderful visions of a hammock and a Konk Cooler right now

The clubs for the kids sound awesome!
Old 10-24-2010, 04:51 AM   #37
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

So enjoying your trip report!! Thanks for sharing!

1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *

POR 2009 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
DLRP Trip Reports
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:34 AM   #38
verygfy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
What an amazing day on Castaway Cay! I'm having wonderful visions of a hammock and a Konk Cooler right now

The clubs for the kids sound awesome!
I really wish I had my camera when I took DD to her club, that place was huge!! I was hesitant about sending them to there clubs since they had already spent so much time there, but when I walked DD in I kind of wished I was 4 and could play there for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatDisneyLover View Post
So enjoying your trip report!! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for reading!! I tried really hard to put the entire day in 1 post, but I can only upload 25 pictures and I just couldn't find a way to narrow down the pics of Castaway Cay. I am hoping to finish the rest of the day by tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #39
nettii
DIS Veteran

You are getting me so excited for our up coming trip! Your trip report is great so far! I hope you report on the pirate party! I love your tip on the walki talkies, Im always the early bird when we go to Disney Im always up had coffee in the hot tub, showered and ready by the time the wake up call rings! SOOOOOOO Looking forward to your next TR!

1st trip 2006 ALL Star SPORTS (fell in LOVE )
2007 POP (Pure magic )
2007 POFQ (A Merry Mickey Holiday adventure):3
2008 POP (My Moms 1st trip-Had a blast)
2009 ALL Star MoviesHappy Haunts in the MK
2010-(Mom & T conquire the Mts of MK)
2011- DREAM CRUISE!
2012-Thanksgiving at CBR!
nettii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:34 AM   #40
verygfy
DIS Veteran

Day 4: Pirate Party

After a little while DD and I went back to the cabin for quick showers and both took a nap ourselves before Pirate night. After our nap DD was looking all around for something, when we asked her what she was looking for we found out it was MICKEY!!

Now some background on Mickey, he has been with us for 2 years and DD sleeps, eats, and plays with Mickey every day. Losing Mickey was a nightmare. DH and I went on a mad dash around the cabin searching for Mickey. I went out to the hall to and found our room steward Rommel and asked if he had seen Mickey while he was straightening up. He immediately came into the room and flipped the sofa bed and even pulled down the overhead bed. We tore the room up and down to come to the conclusion, Mickeyís gone. We told DD that we would continue looking and DH and I started talking about replacing Mickey.

Tonight was Toy Story 3 3D movie and everyone wanted to play on the boat more than go see the show since we had already seen it. I headed over to see my favorite man Captain Jack Sparrow and while I was waiting for him to join the rest of us in Eastern Standard time we saw Pirate Mickey come out so DH to DD went down for some pictures with him and Stitch.

After they were done with their pictures DH & DS came back upstairs to meet me STILL waiting on Jack (he took forever), but hey I would be late to if I lived on Caribbean time and drank all the rum too!! Finally I got to meet him, what a hoot!!

After our adventure with Jack we headed over to Pirates life for me, it was kind of corny, but cute. But we had to leave because we were still on the hunt for Mickey. DD and I went over to guest services to see if Mickey had wandered that way. We got to the desk I asked the CM if anyone had found Mickey and sure enough HE WAS THERE!! I donít know who was more excited me or DD. Guest services were great they told DD that Mickey had strolled around and couldnít find his cabin. With crisis averted we headed to dinner back at Animators Palate.

Anthony was great at making recommendations. I had the crab cake, YUMMY. DH & DS had the pot stickers that they both really seemed to enjoy. DS had the shrimp and scallops pasta and enjoyed that. DH and I had the sirloin and it was very tasty. Even DH said the sweet potato was very good, I was shocked he even tried a sweet potato anything.

Anthony and Carlo were great about getting us in and out tonight for the Pirate Party. I finished settling the bill while DH went up to get us a spot for the party. He got us a great spot along the rail on Deck 10.

Now you have not lived until you see Goofy doing the hand jive and Minnie doing her crazy dance!!

Unfortunately my camera was acting up with all the night shots so I didnít get that many and for some reason it doesnít like to work with fireworks. This thing has a million different settings, but not one for fireworks, seriously. Err, I have decided before our next cruise I want a new camera.

We had such a great time at the Pirate Party, I wish we had all dressed up a little bit more, but I wasn't quite sure how much everyone would dress up and I didn't want to feel out of place. There were so many people dressed up that DH and I both said next time we are dressing up.

After the party DS hit the buffet, I wasnít going near that line. I had been dieting for a month now, and I just didnít see a reason to stand in an hour long line to destroy it (however I did find many more convenient ways to destroy it all cruise long, but hey isnít that why I was on a diet in the first place ).
One of my favorite things they did was turn the goofy pool deck into a drive in movie theater style with Pirates of the Caribbean on the jumbo screen.

So DH and DS hung out there and watched the movie while I took DS who was looking a little weary off to bed, but look who she has with her!

When we got back to the room we had this guy waiting for us:

I got a head start on some packing and was looking over the rebooking booklet when DS and DH walked in around 1am. I was still not sure about rebooking onboard, but then DH said ďHavenít you rebooked yet!!Ē Well no sir I havenít, but I will do just that first thing in the morning.

Up next: At sea and our Last Day Ö
Old 10-24-2010, 08:36 AM   #41
verygfy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettii View Post
You are getting me so excited for our up coming trip! Your trip report is great so far! I hope you report on the pirate party! I love your tip on the walki talkies, Im always the early bird when we go to Disney Im always up had coffee in the hot tub, showered and ready by the time the wake up call rings! SOOOOOOO Looking forward to your next TR!
Thank you for joining me, I just posted Pirate Night!!

I know what you mean, I can't seem to sleep in on vacation; however I vow to do just that before each and every one

The walkie talkies were one of the best things we brought with us. DS pretty much had one the whole time and would check in with us regularly with it. I highly recommend families to bring them with you, they made meeting back up a breeze.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #42
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Awwww, so glad your DD got her Mickey back!

The characters are all so cute in their pirate outfits. I was wondering if many people dressed up or not, guess I'll have to make plans to bring along some pirate garb for us to wear on that night, that's assuming of course that my oh so cool 15 year old would dress up.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #43
verygfy
DIS Veteran

We welcomed Mickey home with open arms!! It was great to get him back.

There were tons of people dressed up for Pirate night, some went all out with full blown costumes, some just had bandannas and eye patches on. They sell the Mickey ears with a bandanna and an earring (quite cute) at Treasures Ketch we saw many people wearing those. It really is up to you as to how elaborate you want to go, if you do decide to go all out, you definitely won't be alone
Old 10-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #44
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I'm loving your TR. I hope that someday we too can exeprince a Disney cruise. We were going to do the 3 day in Dec, but now DH has to have his hip replacement replaced and put a kink in our plans.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #45
verygfy
DIS Veteran

Day 5: Last Day at Sea

Free Room Service, again!! What a way to wake up, I completely took advantage of this service, another great tip was having the over the door shoe organizer which I had my tip envelope in the pocket so when they brought the tray in it was easy to tip. Today was our last day and we really didn't have many plans, except enjoy the boat. The kids were fast asleep so DH and I went down to the stores for some shopping. I was able to get my Christmas ornament, we got DS the itinerary shirt and a few other gifts for people back home. Once we finished our shopping expedition, DH went back to the room to check on the kids while I went to the rebooking desk to book our next cruise. Another tip, if you are going to book onboard, do it early. When I walked by later in the afternoon there were people everywhere, I was very happy I got this out of the way early in the day.

After rebooking I headed back to the cabin where everyone was dressed and ready for some breakfast. We headed up to BBB and had a great breakfast outside. DS decided to head off to his club and DD wanted to go to her club for Mouseketeer in Training and Do Si Do with Snow White, so we headed to drop both of them off.

When we purchased our items this morning we received free bingo cards, so DH and I decided to go try our hands at Bingo. DH and I are not big gamblers, we donít like to lose money, so when we walked in and found that the smallest amount to play was $40 we decided we would just hang around until the free game. The cruise staff tries really hard to keep everyone alive and into the game, I have to give this staff 5 stars for all their hard work. We had seen them all over the ship and they always had great energy. Needless to say, DH and I didnít win, but we enjoyed our drinks and had a few laughs and it was a good time.

After Bingo and losing our shirts DH and I headed over to the Buena Vista Theater for Disney Innovations: Theme Parks. DH and I know a lot about the parks, but never turn down an opportunity to learn a new factoid or two. The presentation was just that a presentation, while it was educational it wasnít overly entertaining, DH and I did enjoy it and did learn some new things, but a word to the wise, that theater is COLD. I was freezing the whole time.

After our adultís morning out, I went and picked DD up from her club where she and a few other kids were doing a puzzle with one of the counselors. They were also doing face painting in the club so we stopped and DD picked a rainbow for her face.

DH had gone to pick up DS so they could finally watch Prince of Persia, every time they tried all week something happened and they didnít make it, but this time they were able to make it over to the theater. DD and I went over to BBB for some lunch, the line was still outside the door, but moved fairly quickly. This was the only time other than embarkation any of us ate lunch at one of the dining rooms, for some reason lunch just never seemed to work into our schedule and by the time it did the dining rooms were closed. I was surprised by how they had the buffet laid out. On one side was the kids items and the other was the adult side. This made getting lunch a little bit more complicated. DD really wanted spaghetti and meatballs which was not offered on the adult side, so we went through the adult side and then found a table and then went back through the kidís side to get her food. I am not sure why they donít just put both offerings on both sides of the buffet?

After lunch DD and I went to the goofy pool to watch Wall E on the jumbo screen, we both had our drinks from Deck 9 and sat in one of the loungers enjoying the movie. After the movie DD asked to go back to her club, they were doing Whereís Tink so I took her down and then headed over to the cabin to start on some of the packing. While I was packing DH showed up and helped me start to get the packing done. We were both disappointed that the cruise was coming to an end, but excited that we would be going over to the parks tomorrow for MNSSHP which was easing some of the blues.
I had signed DH up for the Tequila tasting earlier on so he headed over there and I roamed the boat taking some pictures before I got a page that DD would be attending Friendship Rocks in the theater.

Friendship Rocks is a cute little show that the club counselors put on with the kids from the clubs and Mickey and Minnie. DS did not participate, but DD had the best time.

Each of the kids also got to keep their t-shirts from the show, after the show they take all the kids back to the clubs so the parents can pick them up. Tonight was Dreams and I really wanted to see that show after everything I had read on DIS about it, so I got DD and met DH back in the room to get ready. He had really enjoyed the Tequila tasting; he said they gave you 3 different tequilas and 2 margaritas. DS did not want to attend and wanted to stay in his clubs and since he had been so good the whole cruise we told him it was ok, but he was to meet us for dinner at Parrot Cay.

Dreams was wonderful, this is a definite must see show. Even DH thought it was fantastic and was surprised by all the theatrics they did on a ship.

After the show we headed over to dinner at Parrot Cay. I know many here on the DIS are not fans of Parrot Cay, but this was one of our favorites. The bread was so yummy and the dinner selections were fantastic. DH, DS and I all ordered the mixed grill and then we got the rib eye to share.

Everything was delicious. DD of course got the mac and cheese. Tonight we had to give Anthony and Carlo there tips, they so earned them. Both of them treated us so well so the entire cruise. When they reminded us about breakfast in the morning we realized our time was quickly coming to an end.

We finished up eating and headed back to the cabin to get our suitcases out. I was able to get everything out the door in a few minutes. I had already done most of the day bag packing for Animal Kingdom tomorrow earlier on, so all I had to do was throw in the last few items and put the new luggage tags on. Everyone was getting pretty sleepy from the long day, so I headed out to take some last departing shots of the ship and headed to bed!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: