Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
Dizneydawn
One Road Trip Away From A STRAIGHT JACKET! Wanna Come too?

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Wink How Much Trouble Can We Get Into Alone? What If I Pay Extra?

This is a PTR.

Early almost.

Well, for me it is.

The last one was lame and 4 days before we took off.

This one is going to be stellar.

We have 6 weeks.

Just yesterday we talked about how exactly we will get there.

To WDW.

Oh...and....

South Carolina too.

You see as usual, none of our trips seem to involve a direct here and there format. Which means a lot of driving no matter what and if we fly, a huge chunk of fundage going to a rental car because dropping off in a different location means paying 3 months car payment for a one week rental.

That is ridiculous. It is also not practical. I love to vacation and never charge, so spending $1,000 on a one week rental, means less money for other, more important things.

So, we will be driving.

Again.

BTW - this is "we."

Dan...isn't he just dreamy!

Me - Dawn...I would hope you all would be bright enough to catch on to that but ya never know these days.

This is the 5th time from MN to Florida in 16 months. Driving. My tukkus is in protest and so is my brain. It is just the two of us so not a ton for flights and taking 4 days to drive is just going to kill me. I want some other format of transportation but after running numbers all night, there is no way.

Here is the dealio.

We are going to Florida for 6 days to celebrate with some great friends her 40th B-day bash. Then, as we looked at the calendar, our trip ended within 5 days of my oldest son's parent weekend at college. In Anderson, SC. Plus that means I can see 2 soccer games!!

There is no sense to fly home to turn around and pay another round trip flight 3 days later because I would want to spend more time than just one day with him.

There is also the detail that we are trying to plan a wedding for next summer in Charleston, SC. So why not take 2 weeks off, drive to Charleston, get details arranged, then drive to Anderson and then home.

I have looked at everything.

The cheapest minus driving for us, would be to fly in and out of Greenville, SC. Borrow Treyner's Jeep and drive to FL, then to Charleston and then back to Anderson. His Jeep is LOUD due to his messing with the exhaust system. It also has no fan so no air or no heat.

Cost would be around $1,000 for gas and the flight.

Us, driving in Dan's beloved Mustang, will cost about $400.

This is the Mustang in 08 with Treyner. Just encase you thought by some miracle Dan and I lost a ton of weight and were pod transported into younger bodies!

$600 is a lot of money when you have one in college, one senior in HS, a 9th grader and a wedding next summer.

Plus if we flew, it will take 9 hours of time for plane changes etc. Then we have an 8 hour drive still. That is 17 hours.

It takes 24 to drive. Am I really saving that much time with the flights? No, alas I am not. Even I cannot alter time.

Then you have the issue that Dan, who loves Treyner, who loves the Mustang, promised him he could have the Mustang from Oct-Dec if he has B's and higher. So if we do not drive and Treyner does have good grades, I will never hear the end of it.

But the Mustang has some flaws.

It is small.

There is not a whole ton of room in that thing for laying back and or a cooler etc. So that means we will have to be eating on the road a bit more and we will be getting a hotel on the way down and back because I am not sleeping being folded in half. Driving is one thing, sleeping is a whole other matter.

So that is what I know for now.

I suppose you want details about where and when and what for food.

Well I have reservations.

Yeah me.

We are staying the 12th-16th at POFQ. Planning on adding the dinning plan.

We have reservations at Ohanna's, Sanaa's, Tutto Italia, Yak N Yetti and for the birthday gal, a dinner at California Grill.

Currently we have a ressie for the GF Tea but may toss that to the ducks depending on time.

We will be doing MNSSHP on the 14th and have hopper tickets for the rest of the days at the parks. We might get up early for rope drop and we may stay late for bar hop.

I will promise to be more thorough as we go. Maybe drown you in minutia detail if you are not careful.

As far as the title goes...This is the first time Dan and I will have alone time in over a year that does not involve his being gone for work which then does not ever really give you a break. Alone yes, but not so much time for trouble.

So we are hoping to be naughty and nice. Get into some sugar and spice and if that means I need to pay extra...well I am saving money by driving for a reason!

Last edited by Dizneydawn; 09-07-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Dizneydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
eeyoresnr
DIS Veteran

wooo hooo....here I am!
1963-1999 Disneyland... Too many to list /Feb 2003 WDW All Star Sports- (Honeymoon- 1st WDW trip) / Jan 2004 WDW CSR (1st Anniversary)/ Aug 2004 Disneyland (Home-Sweet-Home) / Aug 2005 WDW CSR & POR / Dec 2005 CBR (MVMCP)/March 2006 WDW CSR (Braves / Dodgers) / April 2006 POR (Daughters 21st Birthday)Dec 2007 WDW ASMusic & Villas @WL (My Birthday & Our 5th Anniversary & 2 MVMCP)
Feb 2008 Pop Century / April 2008 ASMovies / Dec 2008 ASMusic, CR & OKW & AKL-(CL) MVMCP/Steam Train & Keys to the Kingdom Tours...
May 2009 CSR / Dec 2009 CSR & AKV Kidani SV / Bay Lake Towers / Boardwalk Villas (Backstage Magic Tour) / April 2010 AKV Kidani SV & FW Cabins / May 2010 CBR / Sept 2010 OKW / Dec 2010 CSR (My 50th Birthday)
April 2011 A.S. Sports/Bonnet Creek / May 2011 Bonnet Creek / Dec 2013 Bonnet Creek / March-April 2014 Bonnet Creek
Working on my ROAR! Jaxon's First trip to meet Mickey Mouse... Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2988090
eeyoresnr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
gellybean
DIS Veteran

I'm here!

No way I'm first?!

Hmmm... Won't know til I post!

(Darn it, I missed the first post! Type faster next time Gelly! )

Yay for a just us two trip! DH and I are planning one in January. So excited!

YAY for being at Anderson for parent's weekend and get to see two soccer games!!

YAYAYAYAY for making wedding plans!

I know the driving v. flying math formulas! Do them all the time!

I think a car trip just the two of you would be fun!

for PoFQ! My fave mod!!!!!

Can't wait to read more!

Read all about our special needs, miracle daughter Violet @ http://youjustmightfindyougetwhatyouneed.blogspot.com/

September 2012 PTR - I actually just squealed with excitement!! We are going back! Baby girl's 1st trip!! Nemo Suite at AoA
gellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
eeyoresnr
DIS Veteran

lol Gelly...that's why I didn't type a lot...ha ha ha ha...I"M finally 1st!
1963-1999 Disneyland... Too many to list /Feb 2003 WDW All Star Sports- (Honeymoon- 1st WDW trip) / Jan 2004 WDW CSR (1st Anniversary)/ Aug 2004 Disneyland (Home-Sweet-Home) / Aug 2005 WDW CSR & POR / Dec 2005 CBR (MVMCP)/March 2006 WDW CSR (Braves / Dodgers) / April 2006 POR (Daughters 21st Birthday)Dec 2007 WDW ASMusic & Villas @WL (My Birthday & Our 5th Anniversary & 2 MVMCP)
Feb 2008 Pop Century / April 2008 ASMovies / Dec 2008 ASMusic, CR & OKW & AKL-(CL) MVMCP/Steam Train & Keys to the Kingdom Tours...
May 2009 CSR / Dec 2009 CSR & AKV Kidani SV / Bay Lake Towers / Boardwalk Villas (Backstage Magic Tour) / April 2010 AKV Kidani SV & FW Cabins / May 2010 CBR / Sept 2010 OKW / Dec 2010 CSR (My 50th Birthday)
April 2011 A.S. Sports/Bonnet Creek / May 2011 Bonnet Creek / Dec 2013 Bonnet Creek / March-April 2014 Bonnet Creek
Working on my ROAR! Jaxon's First trip to meet Mickey Mouse... Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2988090
Old 09-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
mousetravel
DIS Veteran

Yay, I'm here!

Time to get booger-ed up for another road trip!!!
Mom/Daughter Birthday Celebration! June 2012 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post45286013
Mom/Daughter Christmas TR! 2011http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2851142
Mom/Daughter PTR: Christmas Trip! 2011 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post42724982
Mom/Daughter Trip Report June 2011: Disney Dream! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2744972
Mom/Daughter Trip Report: Disney & Sea World 2010http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2443520
Mom/Daughter Trip Report: WDW & Disney Cruise 2009 ttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2095302
mousetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
Dizneydawn

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyoresnr View Post
wooo hooo....here I am!
You are #1...Do you get a ribbon or something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gellybean View Post
I'm here!

No way I'm first?!

Nope..your playing back door BBQ to eeyoresnr!

Yay for a just us two trip! DH and I are planning one in January. So excited!
I am really excited for this time. Dan is gone for the next 4 weeks so missing him like crazy and will cherish being together again.

Bow Chickie Wohhhhw wow.

YAY for being at Anderson for parent's weekend and get to see two soccer games!!

I promised Treyner I would come and cook at his apartment and freeze food.

for PoFQ! My fave mod!!!!!
I stayed there in 2005 for 3 nights with the kids when they danced there. Stayed 2 nights at Riverside in 2003 with my Mom.

Dan has never stayed although we did enjoy Beignets this past Christmas trip there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyoresnr View Post
lol Gelly...that's why I didn't type a lot...ha ha ha ha...I"M finally 1st!
Really...I need to find a pic for you for your avatar...hmmmmm....
Old 09-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
Dizneydawn

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousetravel View Post
Yay, I'm here!

Time to get booger-ed up for another road trip!!!
NO BOOGER THIS TRIP!!!!! Although I might be wanting the room by Illinois!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

I'm in!!!
You will look cool in the Mustang, but I agree - stop to sleep!!!
Having done that drive straight through you need a comfy car!

I'm sure the two of you can get into some "fun trouble!"
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
Disneymom77
Mouseketeer

Count me in! We'll be staying at POFQ in March, we love it
1989 offsite, 1991 GF, 1993 CBR, 1999 CBR Honeymoon, 2004 CSR, 2007 CSR, 2009 POFQ, Sept 2009 Pop, March 2011 POP, November 2011 AKL Kidani Village, May 2012 Vero Beach, October 2012 OKW, August 2013 Kidani/OKW, April/May 2015 Vero/BCV
Disneymom77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
jessrose18
ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!

I'm Here!! Leaving two kids at home??? Do you need us MN'ers to check in on them I am sure they will be perfect 's!....I hope you guys are dressing up for MNSSHP, cant wait to hear your costume ideas.

jessrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #11
grumpyyoungguy
I don't need any help...I am just lurking around...

I am here. Better late than never!

Hi everyone. I was reading about getting into trouble....

Well first I am the guy in the picture that Dawn says is "dreamy"

Ladies (and possibly men) please don't shake her to her senses. I could use the rep

Also I think she is the best think since sliced cinnamon bread herself.

I do loves me some cinnamon bread Especially toasted with dripping butter

Sorry got distracted for a moment

Anway this should be interesting as I don't mind the drive and Dawn is not that thrilled so I am sure we will stop often and I am thinking around Tennessee I may have to dart her like an escaped wildabeast to get her back in the car..... Film at 11

The first time we road tripped it alone, Dawn decided that Mountain run off water was a wading pool. When she stepped into the stream she screamed so loud Helen Keller heard her.

I can't wait to report on the regular antics of the normally booger ridden gypsies as they make their way to the land of "ahhhhhhs and ohhhhhs". That's right folks the place that you praise Mickey on the way and curse his name for taking your last penny as you leave. This should be good! Stay tuned..................
Love my family !!! Especially my beautiful better half and besides she is hot

Me DW DS DD DD DS DD
grumpyyoungguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
MEK
DIS Veteran

5 drives to Florida in 16 months. That's pretty impressive - really!

One of there years I am really gonna try it. I think I can do it....maybe. If I do ever drive I will definitely be stopping in Charleston because now I am dying to see it.

So glad that you and Dan are getting some alone time. And I promise to take lots of pics of POFQ for you, even though I am only staying there one night. Denny and I stayed there one night a couple years ago and we ended up getting an AP rate on a king room. Best extra $15 I ever spent. Seriously. That room was fab with a wonderful waterview. Loved it!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

But... But... But... But... NO BOOGER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I guess I'll deal!

Seriously, though, sounds like a great trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyyoungguy View Post
The first time we road tripped it alone, Dawn decided that Mountain run off water was a wading pool. When she stepped into the stream she screamed so loud Helen Keller heard her.
Hmm... Sounds familiar. My Mom did something similar when we took her to the Smokey Mountains...

May 2016 Pre-Trip Report <--Also includes a Mini Trip Report of our March 2014 trip to Asheville/Gatlinburg

May 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report and
The AutoTrain, Disney World and More! Trip Report

October 2008 - Caribbean Beach
Pre-Trip Report and Trip Report
ddstratton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #14
lovegrumpy
DIS Veteran

Thats great for some alone time.
HHI 2014

ME/DH/DS19/DS17
Or,Wa,FLx2,Ia,Cali,DC,Va
Been married to my Coastie for 18 years

lovegrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #15
eeyoresnr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstratton View Post
But... But... But... But... NO BOOGER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I guess I'll deal!

Seriously, though, sounds like a great trip.

Hmm... Sounds familiar. My Mom did something similar when we took her to the Smokey Mountains...

hey....don't you have a trip report to finish I'm waiting...and I'm not so patient

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: