Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
oboedm
DIS Veteran

I Want to Quit This Whole Disney World! -- (Update 2/20)

Welcome to my TR! After being home for 10 days I am finally starting it!

My SIL is editing pictures as we speak! Once we “met” in Orlando, we shared the picture taking responsibilities, so neither of us had a complete visual of the trip without each other’s pictures. I tasked her with editing mine and hers— I am really nice like that, I know. The first few pictures won’t be nicely edited by her, but they will exist.

The title of my trip report was uttered by my nephew Hayden several times during our stay. Other Hayden-isms included:

~This is 10 minutes awesome
~I want to eat your blood
~<insert the sounds of a frightened four-year-old here, as he couldn’t speak through the tears>

I am going to post a recap of the people who went with me in the next post, followed by a jumble of thoughts about the trip. I will then start the official, chronological report.

It’s good to have you all along for the ride!

Last edited by oboedm; 02-21-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Chapter Links!

Introductions
Who we are!
A Jumble of Thoughts~

Day 1
Day 1: Part One—Will We Ever Get There?
Day 1: Part Two— Please Help Us, Incompetent Delta Lady!
Day 1: Part Three—Never Schedule a Character Meal…
Day 1: Part Four—Dinner at CRT
Day 1: Part Five—Our First Ride and Explosion!

Day 2
Day 2: Part One—Hiding Under the Table
Day 2: Part Two—Tears, Fears and Fish
Day 2: Part Three—Does Disney Make Rides for Kids?
Day 2: Part Four—IllumiNations

Day 3
Day 3: Part One—High Fives, As Good As It Gets
Day 3: Part Two—Potatoes and Parenting
Day 3: Part Three—Safari Discoveries
A few PhotoPass so Far
Day 3: Part Four—“Yakkin’” Yeti
Day 3: Part Five—Chocolate Shakes

Day 4
Day 4: Part 1—Getting in the Groove
Day 4: Part 2— Snow White Must Have a Little Brother
Day 4: Part 3—Failed Kim Possible
Day 4: Part 4—World Showcase Fly By
Day 4: Part 5—Teppan Edo
Day 4: Part 6—Pick A Pearl
Day 4: Part 7— Morocco
Day 4: Part 8—France, England and Canada
Day 4: Part 9— Dinner and Games

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8

Day 9

Last edited by oboedm; 02-21-2011 at 01:50 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
chunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Yay I'm first!

Can't wait to read the TR!!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

I'm subscribed!!!! I'm eager to hear more!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Yay! I can't wait to read all about it!
Old 09-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
tankgirl427
DIS Veteran

I'm here and can't wait to hear about your trip. I love things little kids say they crack me up!

"You held me down, but I got up, Get ready cause I’ve had enough."

PHM 2015-In Pursuit of Cupcakes While Running in Glass Slippers

Pre 2006 doesn't count, 2006: Dolphin, 2006: 16 hours of MK & EP, 2009: DL, 2010: PC with DDP, 2011: Off-site with friends & PC, 2012: AKL & BLT, POFQ, 2013: POP, POP, DL, POP
Old 09-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Cant wait to read your TR!!

Love the title!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Yay-- glad you started!! Can't wait to read! I hope Hayden didn't have TOO many "I want to quit this whole DW" moments!!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Had to join in and see what made your 4 year old nephew utter those words.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 09-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkymonkey View Post
Can't wait to read the TR!!
I am glad you are excited! I am keeping up on yours as well, although I usually DIS on my work computer and flickr is blocked, so I always have to go home and use that computer to see your pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickiwoo View Post
I'm subscribed!!!! I'm eager to hear more!!!
Welcome! I am glad you're here! Can't wait to hear more about your trip as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
Yay! I can't wait to read all about it!
Hooray! BTW, we ended up not going to RR that night and cancelled our ADR. I was really planning on searching for you, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl427 View Post
I'm here and can't wait to hear about your trip. I love things little kids say they crack me up!
He is super cute. The entire time he was saying weird things-- when he wasn't crying of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Cant wait to read your TR!!

Love the title!!!
Thanks! I had several ones to choose from, but this one felt the most apporpriate! I don't know what people would think about a TR titled "I want to eat your blood".

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Yay-- glad you started!! Can't wait to read! I hope Hayden didn't have TOO many "I want to quit this whole DW" moments!!
There were quite a few. He was really angry about wanting to quit then he got homesick. Near the end of the trip he started talking about Missoula. He is like a walking billboard for that place! He must love where he lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Had to join in and see what made your 4 year old nephew utter those words.
It was uttered at Yachtsman Steakhouse, of all places! Silly kid!
Old 09-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Who we are!

Who we are!

You know if you read by PTR, but for the rest of you—welcome! Here is an updated description of each person, with insights into “who they were” on the trip.

DH (33)—Awesome person. He kept his cool(even though we were all melting) throughout this trip even though SIL rubbed him the wrong way at times. Loved to spend time with his brother and had a lot of fun on this trip. We both agree that this trip was better than last year, although the food was a bit subpar compared to last year.

Me (29)—Was surprised at how well I did this year. Last year was way worse than this year in terms of how I handled the heat. There were only a couple of frustrating times with the family, and overall I think I kept a pretty cool head.

BIL (29)—Kept saying how this was the best trip of his entire life. Had different parenting techniques than his wife, so that caused a few fights. He was great to have because he was able to “talk her down” a few times. He is my favorite of DH’s two brothers (he also has two sisters).

SIL (27)—I had a great time hanging out with her, but I think she had the most meltdowns of the trip—a t least she was the most vocal about it. Let’s just say that there was an event called the “Dole Whip Disaster”. Hanging out with her I realized just how laid back I am in comparison—and as DH will tell you, the word to describe me is not laid back!

Hayden (4)—I was surprised at how well-behaved he was! Yes, there were incidents, but I found that the best way to deal with that was to remove him from the situation and distract him with other things. The biggest issues with him were 1) rides, he was scared and 2) getting him to eat!

Ginny (7 months)—Teething on the trip, so she was pretty miserable. I think she had 5-6 teeth coming in, so she was “Orajel-ed” up a lot of the time. She had a great stroller rigged with a homemade cover and battery powered fans. She was essentially sitting in air conditioning while she slept. She loved to look at everything and especially liked Philharmagic (her brother hated it!)

~~~~~~~~~
Questions for you DISboarders…

DH and I are thinking about taking his sister, her husband and two kids in Jan or Feb of 2011. Has anyone been during this time? If so, what was the weather like?

Also, DH and I got annual passes to both DLR and WDW (since we are going to DLR in a month with my family).

If I book room only for us in Jan and they come out with better annual pass rates before our trip, can I call and get the better rate? Or would I have to cancel and re-book—hoping to get the same resort? Looking on mousesavers “historical discounts” page , it seems that they come out with these rates in late November, after the current deal is up.

I am going to ask in the forums as well, but didn’t know if any of you knew.

Last edited by oboedm; 09-23-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Cant wait to read more!

As for your question about going in Jan/Feb. I think I like it way more than September. Of course, I would do cold over hot any time. We have gone twice in Feb. Each time there were warm days (we did use the pool) and there were freezing days. (last feb, I actually wore gloves at one point) Neither trip did we experience much in the way of rain. At least not like this last trip. But...when it did rain last feb...it made it pretty miserable..
Old 09-26-2010, 12:56 AM   #13
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Cant wait to read more!

As for your question about going in Jan/Feb. I think I like it way more than September. Of course, I would do cold over hot any time. We have gone twice in Feb. Each time there were warm days (we did use the pool) and there were freezing days. (last feb, I actually wore gloves at one point) Neither trip did we experience much in the way of rain. At least not like this last trip. But...when it did rain last feb...it made it pretty miserable..
Thanks so much! I think we are going to do Feb/March so the other family going with us can get their tax return before we go! I think Feb/March will have better weather than Jan/Feb and we are trying to choose a week with lower crowds.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #14
oboedm
DIS Veteran

A Jumble of Thoughts~

Today I am going to just post a jumble of thoughts about the trip. I will then start the official, chronological TR updates!

~Hayden is a kidnap-able child—he is really well-behaved, although I don’t think his parents think so!

~We had way fewer meltdowns than I thought (both kids and adults)

~Teething babies are not pleasant. They are rather awful, actually!

~I didn't take enough video and pictures.

~I need a better camera, my LCD screen is going out, so that is the perfect excuse. Any recommendations? I would like to get something better than a point and shoot, and then I can just use my PS as needed, since the screen isn’t that bad.

~I need to learn how to take better pictures—maybe if I had a better camera? Su-Lynn’s PTR updates about lenses, aperture, etc were really helpful, so maybe I could get a better camera!

~Always take a child to Fantasyland first, unless he/she has been to Disney a few times.

~Never make a character dinner reservation for the night you arrive

~Camelbaks are AWESOME and the only way to tour theme parks

~The Joovy Caboose Ultralight is a great stroller

~SIL needs to design add-on accessories for strollers. Ginny had it made with fans blowing on her all the time!

~I should always spend a bit more money stay in a moderate-level resort.

~I need to start scheduling a "resort/rest day" in the middle of the trip to rejuvenate.

~I really need to use a resort pool at some point

~Having a few work items to take care of while I was there was a good idea-- it helped keep me grounded in reality and helped pay for the trip!

~We are now "Premier Annual Passholders"-- meaning we have unlimited access to WDW and Disneyland for the next year. More on how that came to pass later in my TR!

Last edited by oboedm; 09-26-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:10 AM   #15
OhioDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Hi, I'm subbing.

Love your jumble of thoughts. So many of them apply to us as well.

I can't wait to read more

Hey BangBang Chicken...Where's Carl?http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post50814403 CURRENT TR in Progress Really? All of us? ... a Jan PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3186622
The Most Wonderful Thing About Tiggers...happened to us! A 2013 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3066866
Road Trip! Stop1: Inkedupmomma's Wedding, Stop 2: Disney - A Feb 2013 PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....0#post45966160
Small Po-taaaa-toes! My Sept 2011 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post42885313
The "I said I wasn't going to do a PTR...PTR (Sept 2011) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post39927349
Drama Please End...Fun, Please Begin..A Sept TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post38357331

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: